Exclusive
Fuller House Season 2

Fuller House Recasting 2 Key Roles

Two more shadows from D.J.’s past are returning for the second season of Fuller House — but don’t expect to recognize either of them.

The Netflix comedy is currently casting the roles of Nelson Burkhard (D.J.’s rich ex-boyfriend, originally played by Jason Marsden) and Kathy Santoni (D.J.’s high school frenemy, originally played by Anne Marie McEvoy), TVLine has learned exclusively.

Both characters will attend D.J.’s high school reunion, and you’ll be happy to learn that very little has changed for either of them; Nelson is still obnoxiously wealthy, constantly boasting about his yacht and three houses, while Kathy is every bit as bitchy and pregnant as we remember her. (That’s right. Go back and watch Season 8.)

As previously reported by TVLine, Fuller House‘s second season will also introduce Joey’s M.I.A. family, a D.J. clone (who also happens to be Steve’s new girlfriend) and a “weird” new boyfriend for Stephanie.

Your thoughts on Fuller House‘s recasts? General hopes for Season 2? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Brandy says:

This is NOT okay. Why do a reunion episode if you can’t even get the actors back? Wait until they’re available, or just include other characters who are available in real life.

• Sarah says:

Or maybe these people quit acting or didn’t want to be part of it.

• brandylikestodesignthings@gmail.com says:

That’s very possible, but I just don’t see why they use the characters at all then. I know the actor who played Nelson at least is doing voice-over work now.

• matty says:

Jason Marsden is still active in the industry, mostly doing voiceover work but he has had a few acting roles in the last few years.

2. Lynne says:

I’m more annoyed about Nelson recast than Kathy. We only saw her on screen maybe twice at most, despite DJ and Kimmy mentioning her throughout the series. I wonder why Jason doesn’t want to return.

• Kermit says:

I wonder if he was asked.

• Cassie says:

I don’t remember ever seeing Kathy Santoni on screen. I remember she was the often mentioned “it” girl in DJ and Kimmy’s class that ended up pregnant (with the accompanying “don’t worry dad, I’m not Kathy Santoni” speech) I just don’t remember ever seeing her.

3. A fan of TV says:

Surprised no Jason Marsden, honestly, though maybe he quit acting…unless they’ve found a doppelganger I think it’ll be a little jarring pretending someone who was in the show a whole season, more or less, is suddenly so different (unless, of course, Nelson used his money on plastic surgery, which wouldn’t be nonsense, knowing Nelson).

The Kathy Santoni recast is negligible, though. She was so much more of a Merris-on-Frasier type character, often referenced and so rarely seen, plus when she did appear it wasn’t that memorable at all…

4. Nicolás says:

They should bring Marla Sokoloff

5. Tom says:

Drat when I saw major recast, I was hoping one of them would be the middle son.

6. matty says:

What they can’t cast Jason Marsden? Is he so super busy?

7. Tony says:

While I consciously and do remember Nelson on the surface, he is ultimately not very memorable in the sense that a recast doesn’t bother me. Now, if it had been Steve or if it were Viper (who I actually liked), I would be a bit weirded out

8. steven says:

Since it’s DJ and Kimmy’s high school reunion, they should bring back Kimmy’s ex Duane, the guy who always said, Whatever.

9. Jessica says:

Sounds exciting I can’t wait.. I loved full house and now love fullerhouse.

10. Eric Seymour says:

I know Mary Kate and Ashley won’t be coming around ,but maybe see how her friends lives turned out,bring some of them back.Also bring back Steph’s friend Gina back.

11. David4 says:

TVline considers these roles ‘key’?!

The woman I don’t really remember but Jason Marsden should at least be asked to come back.

12. sarah t says:

Hmmm, more bummed about “Nelson” (Jason Marsden) than Kathy. Nelson was memorable to me partly because he was all over TGIF sitcoms for awhile (Boy Meets World, Full House and Step by Step). He was perfect for the role of Nelson because he tended to always play a smug character. Would loved to have seen him now!

13. Andrew Hass says:

Maybe the show did reach out to the previous actors but for whatever reason they said no.Maybe they weren’t available for when the show needed to film.Plus even though the 2 characters might just be back for that one episode originally maybe the show has plans to bring them back them again.

14. Brigid says:

No big deal. They mean nothing to the show and can be replaced by anyone.

15. Kim DeLellis says:

When is this fuller house being aired and what channel will it be on

16. Marlena Battson says:

I can’t wait for season 2! My 11 year old daughter and I watched the first one in 2 days! We still watch reruns of the original full house! You guys really stepped it up! My daughter is learning to act and wants to be like Dj lol

17. Rhonda says:

I cannot wait for the new Season for Fuller House. I absolutely loved the first season.

18. Pennfield Shane says:

This is based on what is easily the absolute worst sitcom in television history. Sappy, horrible, stupid stories; moronic plots and the hammiest acting ever. The fact the original series lasted as long as it did is a sad commentary on American tastes. WHY did they reboot this mess? Take it off the air and destroy all prints digital or otherwise. Watch PBS for actual good storytelling and acting.