Exclusive

Van Helsing Video: 'Beautiful, Bloody' Syfy Saga Not Your Typical Vamp Show

Vampires have become ubiquitous on TV, but Van Helsing star Kelly Overton feels confident that Syfy’s upcoming twist on the classic bloodsucker tale will stand out from the pack.

“This show is different than any other vampire shows I’ve seen, and I’ve been a vampire show fan ever since I was kid,” Overton says in the above exclusive video. “It has all these different kinds of vampires,” such as two groups showcased in the sneak peek, the Ancients (one of whom is played by One Tree Hill‘s Paul Johansson) and the Ferals.

In the series, the True Blood actress stars as Vanessa Van Helsing, a descendant of the infamous lineage of warriors. After waking from a five-year coma, the slayer discovers a very different, post-apocalyptic world controlled by vamps.

“There are major environmental problems, which trigger huge catastrophes,” co-star Rukiya Bernard (Intruders) describes. Thanks to the destruction glimpsed in the video — a super volcano obliterates many of the western states! — “the underworld of vampires are able to crawl to the surface.”

It all makes for “a beautiful, bloody, badass mess,” actor Jonathan Scarfe (Hell on Wheels) sums up.

Van Helsing premieres with two episodes on Friday, Sept. 23 at 10/9c on Syfy.

Press PLAY above for a sneak peek, then hit the comments with your thoughts on Van Helsing‘s violent adventure.

1. Philip Lincester says:

I just can’t wait to not watch another vampire show. Let’s see, there’s The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Vampire Academy, The Strain and a couple more I can’t remember. All are about blood sucking pure evil creatures that hate sunlight and seem to explode for little or no reason. The details may change from one tome to the other, but exactly how many ways can you show blood sucking baddies biting necks? I guess we’re going to find out since every creativity challenged writer and show runner out there are obviously going to try.

I guess we can be thankful OBGYNs are not as hot a topic.

• Brigid says:

I’m assuming you don’t watch any TV since they are all super heroes, cop, lawyer and doctor shows. I mean really, how many of those do we need?

2. Wilbur says:

Great. Yet another show that denigrates Men and portrays Women as Amazons who can Kick ANY Mans ass and take care of his needs too afterwards and ONLY on her terms. Look at the opportunities you have with these shows and you waste it all on that Sexist Crap! I like looking a the female form as much as the next person, but there is no sort of reality to give the shows something to cling to. Yes I know Vampires are Fictitious, but my point is that if you are going to make all the Female actors Fighting Tough over any and ALL Men then you should give them the rest of the Super Power Package. Flying, X-Ray Vision, Impervious to anything except Armor Piercing Bullets etc.

• Simon Jester says:

Let’s all spare a moment to pity poor Wilbur, evidently threatened by strong women… even fictional ones.

• Becca says:

You’re right. I mean there are so many shows where the male characters seem able to beat any element thrown in their way, but it’s believable because they’re a dude. The minute you change the gender, it’s completely unbelievable that the main characters could face any male. What’s even the point? Honestly the only good place for a woman is in a bikini fawning at a man’s foot.

• Perhaps, but to reverse genders seems the ideal of Femanazi’s and their fainting writer boyfriends. i can see them in my minds eye, wearing their Black Berets, Shoeless, with flowers for their favorite B at the ready should one come-a-callin’. He used to smoke, but she mad him quit. He used to have a Highball in the afternoon, but she didn’t like that so he now drinks Appletini’s, but only with her. I am totally for gender equality, but not in to taking turns being the Man! Women stopped being the ditty dame a LONG time ago, but instead of that being the end and equality prevailing it’s time to take turns being the rube and guess whose turn it is? That’s how Holliwierd and a lot of ignorant milcoenials , stupid MAC spellchecker, millennials, millennials, I was spelling millennials! Anyway you can’t take turns being wrong. I think that way anyhow. Some, SOME women might be able to handle their own against a Man, but not every one and not one who is but a waif .There ya go. Logic is thrust upon your unwilling eyes. Deal with it. (Not you in particular, but most folks these days. It’s long now, but an example is 1 Monkeys TV show. The main guy takes his Dr girlfriend back in time. She is all gurlie and soft like. They go back and then he goes in to the past without her. Mind you he’s grown up in the apocalypse and have been a scrapper all his life. Trained by another badarse. He’s gone from the future for 6 Months and while he’s gone she is making it with the badass evil character who teaches her to “handle” herself. To the main guy’s greatest surprise though in only 6 Months she can now kick his ass or any man’s for that matter. That’s the sort of thing I’m talking about. I guess i am too smart to enjoy that sort of stupidity even if it is just a dumb old tv show. I likes what I likes…

3. JP says:

Wait! Looks really original!
    A hero that wakes up after a coma to find that the world has been taken over by living dead creatures….
    Uhhh? No, that’s not The Walking Dead! That’s … Ohh, *yawwwnn*

4. Erica says:

I saw the first episode I was not impressed.

5. Vam Pyre says:

Actually really looking forward to watching this series. The lead actors and series writers are good and can’t wait to see the different types of vampire characters.

• ibjbyron says:

A level-headed sane comment assessing the show on its own merits? Boy are you in the wrong place… ;-)

I’m with you though – I liked the idea already (I don’t care if there are several other shows with the same basic concepts and tropes; if the characters and performances are fun and interesting, that is what I care about.)

My opinion is that this and, for example, “The Strain” are very different conceits within the genre, and neither cancel each other out, nor do they necessarily compete.

I am a big fan of “The Strain”, and I saw the preview of this show and thought it was clever, interesting and well-performed in its own right – I’ll be watching when it officially premieres.

6. Wendy says:

I saw the first episode and like it. Usually it takes me about 3 episodes of a show to see where it’s going. Already with this one I can see interesting plot lines and potential. Not everyone will like it but not everyone liked Breaking Bad either which is hard to believe.

7. Rowland says:

Thank you TVLine and Vlada Gelman. Van Helsing the Series will bring it on, pedal to the metal with vampires rising Sept 23rd on SyFy.

Halloween’s month of October is about to become very wicked… (Insert vampire scream here)

8. Normandy says:

I watched the pilot and was not impressed. A lot of sloppy writing and lazy characterization. It also had a cheap Z Nation feel to it. Overton was good, but they didn’t exactly give her anything to do. The character that the episode ended on has the potential to be the most interesting, but I’m not confident that they can pull it off.

9. Ashlie says:

I haven’t seen the 1st episode yet but based on the short clips that I have seen I am really looking forward to watching the show. It looks like it will be a fast-paced series with an interesting take on a classic.

10. HAP says:

I don’t believe that Count Dracula ever visited Vancouver.