Exclusive
Rob Lowe Code Black

Rob Lowe Scrubs In on Code Black — Fall TV First Look

It’s back to the one-hour grind for Rob Lowe, who joins CBS’ Code Black this fall as Dr. Ethan Willis, a character who — judging by this exclusive photo — looks about as intense as the faux attorney he played Fox’s The Grinder.

Of course, unlike the overly-earnest Dean Sanderson, Lowe’s Code Black MD has been to hell and back. As we previously reported, Willis is a seasoned combat surgeon who is coming off a stint in war-ravaged Afghanistan. He gets placed at Angels Memorial to teach the staff what the military has learned about combat medicine, and, while his aggressive, rule-breaking style is greeted positively by Rorish (Marcia Gay Harden), the other docs are not quite as smitten.

Series creator Michael Seitzman is confident viewers will take a shine to Willis. “Two of Rob’s many remarkable qualities are the same traits we needed in Willis,” the EP tells TVLine. “He makes you want to know him and at the same time makes you feel you’ve known him your whole life.”

Lowe’s Dr. Willis make his Angels debut in Code Black‘s Season 2 premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 10/9c.

1. Kelly says:

I swear, every time I see him he looks younger. And I don’t think he’s even trying! Anyway, he looks good. And blonde, maybe? I may even watch the show again.

2. Kevin K says:

Rob Lowe can’t save Code Black. No complaining

• Temperance says:

Code Black was a LOT better than Chicago Med. Sorry, it was. But they gutted the core by eliminating two favorites, promoted the most irritating guest stars, and promoted the key doc to admin! Weird choices.

• Rachel says:

Seriously ditto to all of this.

• Kailani says:

YEP. I agree. I will not let them pull at my heart-strings after the horrific casting dumps they made. No sirree. They can’t win me back. Even with hottie Mr. Lowe.

• James says:

Big Mama and Papa are the true fan faves and the heart and soul of the show.

• Suzy says:

Dear James, now I can say you offended many of fans of Neal and Christa (Raza & Bonnie). They were main characters of season #1 and you can deny it. Even if you would like, you can erase them from the season #1 and from memories of fans, and the fact that were very popular. Many of their fans don’t know yet about ‘creative changes’, about cutting favourite characters (or rather be fired without reason) from the show .. In september you will know how these people will love new season … the same like me and others now. Now we could feel offended.

• Megara says:

Who are Big Mama and Papa? I remember a Mama and a Daddy…

3. Iris says:

I’m one of the morons who religiously watched S1 and got the finger from the showrunners with the axing of Bonnie Somerville and Raza Jaffrey. But I love Rob Lowe and I thought he was fantastic on the Grinder. Unfortunately, his character on Code Black looks as intense as a faux Mitch Buchannon in a Baywatch ripoff. I’m so sad on all fronts. Pass.

4. Megara says:

LOL No. The only thing Rob Lowe ever makes me want to do is change the channel to get away from him. Even without that awful hairdo. The show was already going to be unwatchable without Raza Jaffrey and Bonnie Somerville, but Rob Lowe’s cliched character will make it downright laughable, in my opinion.

• Iris says:

His character won’t be the only cliché, far from it (I would have watched Rob Lowe on another show, playing an interesting character!). The newbies count an ex-actress-become-doctor, an ex-surfer-become-doctor,and a Doogie Howser expy. The characters promoted in place of Neal and Christa are Heather, a vixen without depth in the last episodes, and “Poor Man Romano” Campbell. I’m glad I won’t see what they do with the characters I actually liked in S1.

• Megara says:

Yeah, the “creative changes” they wanted so badly can be summed up easily – originality and maturity out, cliche and high school drama in.

• James says:

And you based this without having yet to sample an episode or two of the upcoming season?

• Megara says:

Yes, James. I know cliches and immature plotting when I see them. It’s the way the show started to lean at the end of season 1, and from the spoilers/casting/plot info I’ve seen, it’s not hard to tell that it’s the direction they want to go with season 2. Their infamous “revolving cast” making victims of Neal and Christa first (their most mature and original storyline, until the back 5 eps took them into cliche high school drama territory) while introducing 3 CW-esque characters and cheese-tastic Rob Lowe in a carbon-copy character ripped straight out of another medical show… how anyone can NOT come to this conclusion astounds me.

• Iris says:

If I rely on the nosedive the writing and characterization took in the last 3 episodes especially, and the casting choices comforting the cheap soapy direction (Heather and Campbell = blackmail with sex pictures) I’d say you’re right.

5. fiberlicious says:

I would watch Rob Lowe read a phone book…

6. ninamags says:

Rob Lowe has always seemed smug and smarmy.

I hate that they’re changing this show so much.

I’ll give it a try but if he’s too much of a d-bag, I won’t keep tuning in, even tho I love Marcia and the Mexican dude, I forget his name.

7. Eric Kane says:

Rob Lowe grew up to be Chad Everett, who’d a thunk it?

8. Stacy says:

I’m so over this ubiquitous douchebag haircut every actor is changing his hair to.

9. Jamie says:

I don’t know if he can save this show, but I’ll try again with him around. Love the hair and scruff.

10. Samantha says:

Sorry, I love Rob Lowe but this all sounds too familiar. This sounds like TC from the Night Shift on NBC. Not only that but the whole show is about ex combat dr who use their combat skills in an ER hospital.

11. Mara says:

By getting rid of the characters of Neal and Christa — and lying about it being necessary to reduce costs — since Rob Lowe’s salary is certainly higher — they unfortunately have lost me as I really enjoyed the premise in Season 1. Yes, I know there are often cast changes, but they seem to have eliminated what I liked about the show and made a carbon copy of other medical show characters. Horrible choice.

12. gizzymoon says:

I really loved the first season of code black, but people weren’t watching it. If bringing in a big name like Rob Lowe let’s me keep one of my favorite new shows, I’ll for it. Besides, I’ve been a fan of Lowe’s since the 80’s and I’ve never seen him not nail a performance. While I hated to lose Christa and Neal and really liked their story line, I’m willing to give Code Black another chance. It has to be better than the high handed, judgmental doctors on Chicago Med. The only reason I watch it is because it ties in with the other Chicago shows that I do love.

13. Jake says:

Kind of looks like Brad Pitt in one of Pitt’s war movies – he had similar haircut.

14. Nancy Farkas says:

I just saw the new extended promo. How ANYONE can watch that and NOT be exited for the new season is beyond me. Christa and Neal were boring and their live triangle made it worse. I can’t wait for the new season.

15. Nancy Farkas says:

Seriously people? GROW UP. It was a business decision. The producer did not deliberately do it to piss you all off. Get over it and move on. Watch the show or don’t. But stop whining about it already. The producer is not going to change his mind because of a bunch of whiners.

16. Pat Turner says:

Code Black is my newest fav show. And I do love Rob Lowe. But his absolutely s***** haircut is ruining the show for me. What genius thought this was a good look for him? Total fail!!

17. Vdiggs says:

Rob lowe is a ongo. No no no to rob lowe