Gilmore Girls Revival Scoop

Gilmore Girls Creator: Netflix Revival Follows 'Three Women at a Crossroads'

It may come as a shock, but Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life is about more than just those mystifying final four words. “It’s about three women at a crossroads in each of their lives,” series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino explained to a small group of reporters last month at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

For Kelly Bishop‘s newly-widowed Emily, the upcoming Netflix revival will explore, “What does the death of a husband mean to a woman who had a life very specific to her all of these years?” previewed Sherman-Palladino. “And where does she go from here?” Meanwhile, Lauren Graham‘s Lorelai — whom AS-P described as “a single-yet-coupled independent woman who has had guards up all her life to protect her daughter and to protect herself” — will be grappling with, “‘Where am I now? Where’s my path? Where’s my comfort?'”

Lastly, Rory (Alexis Bledel) will find herself second-guessing pretty much all of her life choices. “It’s this idea of, you hit [your 30s], you did everything right — you went to college, you had the good grades, you worked really hard — and yet somehow life isn’t turning out the way you wanted it to turn out,” shared the EP. “And because the world is changing [so quickly] I think that’s something a lot of very well educated [thirtysomething] kids are going through. They’re turning around going, ‘I did it. I did the homework. I did the finals. I did the whole thing. I know the s–t. Why am I not getting where I need to go?'”

The four-part Gilmore revival will be released on Friday, Nov. 25 at 12:01 am PT on Netflix.

1. Roger Buchana says:

Word on Rory.

• Bobbi Asbury says:

I agree mostly because I feel the exact same way.

• Lexi says:

Agreed. I’m glad they don’t have Rory at the top of her career or having it all together – that she’ll actually be going through what so many people at her age are going through. It’s something so many people can relate to, which is why we all love Rory so much!

• Steven says:

That’s definitely going to hit close to home for me.

• Deb says:

I’m in my 40s and that resonates with me as well.

• gdv says:

The economic crisis and death of traditional journalism in the blog era would be really interesting things to explore in the show since they basically would have overturned Rory’s carefully laid plans for her career and life. (I know. I’m still living it.)

2. Moosie says:

I don’t find it believable that Lorelei didn’t remarry and have more children in the last 10 years.

• Paula says:

I would have found it really unbelievable if she had done that.

• Sam says:

I would have found it believable that they didn’t marry, but had a child.

• Brittany says:

right! she said so many times in the show she wanted mpre children she also said she dreamed of getting married some day so i think its weird they never married or had kids!

• Josh says:

I can see it maybe having a child together but not married, not after what happened last time. I can see them being very happy to be together, living together but not wanting to get married.

3. Kate says:

I’m so excited to see where all the characters are in their lives now and everything about the revival. I’m just so happy we’ll get to see the ending that was envisioned for Gilmore Girls.

4. Ari says:

I’m excited for the revival but I feel like I’m not emotionally prepared to see them dealing with Richard’s death.

5. jessica y says:

As a longtime and avid GG fan, I’m so much more excited about the content of these episodes rather than the over-hyped “final four words”. I’m sure they’ll be great, but how can four words be what the most your excited about for four 90 minute episodes to continue one of the greatest TV shows ever?

6. webly3 says:

I’m upset that Lorelai isn’t married to Luke, but everything else seems good.

• Whatevah8 says:

Me too.

• Isa says:

That’s interesting! I always Luke way too emotionally constipated to deal with most of the time. He was great when he listened to the relationship CD’s and made a real change to be a couple. He’s great in a crisis. But after his daughter came in his life and he shut Lor out I was done with him. He makes a great buddy with a sizzle of chemistry now and again but as a life partner I’d kill him and he really did a number on her and reverted back to the emotionally unavailable Luke, child or no child.

• Brandi says:

I so agree with everything you said. But I still hope they are a couple again, or get back together, or get married in the new episodes.

I am also a bit surprised she hasn’t moved on in some way. She’s like those 40 year old guys that are chasing 21 year old girls on their motorcycles and living with 4 other bachelor roommates waiting for the next best thing to come along not realizing they are the old creepy guy in the club now.

7. Syd says:

Pacific Time? So is that 9:01 p.m. On the 24th for us east coasters?

8. mlafleur14 says:

Give it a rest with all the final four word nonsense. You have over hyped that to ad nauseam.

9. There’s is literally nothing we didn’t already know in this article.

10. Yvonne Prashad says:

Loved the show. Looking forward!!!

11. Missy says:

Emily was always the unofficial third Gilmore Girl, in my eyes, anyway.

I’m excited to see how life is shaking out for these 3 strong women, who have planned their lives too a T. It should be fun :)

• Gaia says:

There was nothing unofficial about it. The show was as much about Lorelai’s relationship with Emily as it was her relationship with Rory.

• Stacy says:

Well said. More to the point, the basis of Lorelai’s relationship with Rory was her trying to fix or rebel against her relationship with Emily, of wanting Rory to have a childhood completely different than hers.

12. Michael says:

the more i read the more excited i get, i really hope more episodes come out of this

13. Megan says:

Okay I am good with Rory (feel your pain); good with Emily.

But Lorelei? I don’t want this to end in a Luke and Lorelei wedding after a will-they-won’t-they Season(s). Lorelei, don’t you know Luke is the one BY NOW; did it really take you 7 or 8 additional years to get to the point where you COULD be married? Either Kurt and Goldie it, or be husband and wife already. Come on now.

If they make it a great wedding, I’m OK with it. I guess. BUT IF THEY BREAK UP LUKE AND LORELEI FOR EVEN ONE IOTA OF TIME, heads will ROLL.

Basically, I don’t want a Seasons where they pander to the TV show gods whereby no happy main character couples can exist for the entire length of a Season(s) and therefore Luke and Lorelei can ONLY be together in the final moments of the last episode.

(Also, not jazzed about the potential for Lorelei and Sookie to have a rift because they couldn’t get Melissa on the show for very long. Just put her in Paris or something at a cooking retreat).

• Lauren says:

Ha. Ditto all of this. I’m fine with Lorelei having questions about her career but please leave her and Luke alone! Rory can have all the relationship drama.

• Whatevah8 says:

Agree! I’m hoping we get to see Lorelai and Luke get married.

• memily34 says:

It just seems weird that they WOULDNT already be married; it feels SO much like pandering to the audience and not real to the characters. That being said, if they do it right (don’t break them up at all, have her dad dying make her realize she wants to be OFFICIAL with Luke, etc) then I’d be OK with it. I mean, happy to see it, but also knowing it’s not just a cheap plot to get people to watch (see: Sex and the City: The Movie).

• Daphne says:

The only reason I’m ok with Luke & Lorelai not being married is because I would have felt completely cheated out of that ceremony! If they’re doing it over the course of the revival, that’ll make me happy because I’ll get to witness it happen! But I agree there really shouldn’t be any actual drama involving Luke & Lorelai, they need to be happy, in love, balanced in their relationship.

• Josh says:

I doubt they’re going to have Lorelei and Sookie with a rift. My guess is Sookie is probably a chef in Europe for a year or so. We’ll get a couple of scenes with them on the phone together and probably one short scene with Lorelei and Sookie reuniting at the end of the fourth episode.

• sportylady says:

Why would Lorelei want to be with Luke who treated her like garbage when he learned of his daughter, completely shutting her out?

Of all the men she dated, I think the only one deserving of Lorelei and who actually respected her, was Max. I’d love if she realized he was the one. He was smart, mature and loved her. Luke is an emotionally stunted boy in a man’s body, selfish to the core.

14. sally8776 says:

Don’t kill me for asking this but does Amy have or had any other projects besides Gilmore Girls?

• Daphne says:

Since Gilmore Girls, the most notable project she created was the TV series Bunheads. I think there was another short-lived show Jezebel something and I know she definitely had done a couple of other shows before Gilmore Girls.

15. Josh says:

Sounds great! I hope the answer to all these questions aren’t “To end up with a man”…For Lorelei, I understand if her end game is Luke(and I hope she is with Luke, the singled and coupled seems to imply she and Luke aren’t married but together which honestly, makes sense to me.

But I really don’t want Rory’s end game to just be “I have a career but I’m not happy because I don’t have a man”

16. Paula Haynes says:

Can’t wait!

17. Jackie Davis says:

I think the revival is going to really hit home with a lot of women. The show is still so relevant- timeless. I just took my daughter to college today. She was really young the first time around for the series but we have watched all 7 seasons this summer and we love it and it has opened up so many discussions. She’ll be home at Thanksgiving and the Revival is #1 on our list. I hope this is not the end. I think there is so much more to tell.

18. Stacy says:

ASP’s strength has always been writing relatable issues with family & friends. Everyone can relate to life not turning out how you thought, whether the path is entirely different or just a surprising new fork in the road.

19. Andrew Hass says:

I think it makes sense that the focus should be on Lorelai, Rory and Emily as they each decide what they want in their lives now.As for Lorelai, i’m guessing she and Luke are together but maybe not married and that might be the way they like it.However maybe Lorelei decides she wants to marry Luke or have another child.As for Rory, as she’s questioning her choices it makes sense that she wonders about her exes and goes to see them.As for Emily, she could be trying to decide how to live her life without Richard.Plus i have a feeling Richard’s death will impact all 3 women in different ways and bring them together.

20. Venetta Clark says:

Bring Logan back. Rory and Logan meet again and get married. Lorelai and Rory’s dad best love matches.

21. Dee says:

We have been binge watching all the original seasons of Gilmore Girls and looking forward to the revival of Gilmore Girls in November AND already hoping that there will be more to come in 2017 as well.

22. R C says: