The Nightly Show

The Nightly Show: Jon Stewart Gives Larry Wilmore a Heartfelt Send-Off

Just three days after The Nightly Show‘s untimely end was announced, Larry Wilmore on Thursday kept things 100 one last time — with the help of a very special guest.

“It’s never easy when your TV show gets canceled,” Wilmore began, “but for me, there has been a silver lining: all the free booze! Samantha Bee’s show sent over some cases of wine, [and] Stephen Colbert sent an amazing assortment of liquor.” (Let’s just say The Daily Show’s half-hearted pastries weren’t as well-received.)

Of course, no gift could possibly top Jon Stewart‘s; the former Daily Show host came bearing one of the most genuine, heartfelt speeches he’s given on live television — and oh, how I’ve missed those speeches:

I just decided to stop by and tell you I love you. And may I say something else: Thank you! … A very wise man once said to me, “Do not confuse cancelation with failure.” And I took that to heart. So I will say this: What you, my friend, were tasked to do, you have done — and done beautifully. You gave voice to underserved voices in the media arena. It was a show that was raw and poignant and funny and smart and all of those things. You did it from scratch. … You took something and got better every [bleepin’] day. … You started a conversation that was not on television when you began it. … What you don’t realize is that you walk out of this room, and that conversation doesn’t end.

Stewart assured Wilmore that the people on his team would go on to do great things, that they will “flourish,” and it will all be thanks to him. You can watch (rough) video of Stewart’s speech below:

Elsewhere in The Nightly Show‘s final half hour…

* Wilmore addressed the recent Ellen DeGeneres controversy — some have suggested that a tweet, in which the talk show host is riding Jamaican Olympian Usain Bolt, had racist implications — by calling DeGeneres a “pure delight.”

* None of Wilmore’s contributors were available to assist him with the DeGeneres segment; Robin Thede was already on vacation, and Franchesca Ramsey was busy doing a Skype interview for her next job.

* Contributors Rory Albanese and Holly Walker — the show’s apparent will-they-won’t-they couple — finally went there.

* We learned that the show nearly did a story about a guy who “got caught jerking off a dolphin,” but it never quite made it to air. (“Maybe it could have saved us,” Ramsey quipped.)

* And Wilmore, one last time, kept it 100: “I’m not done yet.”

Was the Nightly Show‘s mid-sized send-off everything you thought it should have been? Grade it below, then drop a comment with your thoughts on Wilmore’s final bow (for now).

1. TV Gord says:

I’m so sad. Great show tonight, but I’m so sad.

2. Kevin K says:

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore truly didn’t deserve to get cancelled but I’m really sad it came to an end and Comedy Central try to “keep it 100”.

3. peterwdawson says:

Well, that’s a shame. Of course, getting a 11:30 show off the ground with a lead-in that undergoes a major reshuffle is going to potentially screw anyone.

4. maggie says:

Sorry to see Larry go. The show could be uneven, but Larry was always terrific. Perhaps this format wasn’t the best fit for him. He needs to find a better outlet for his comedy and viewpoint.

The contributors were an uneven group, with Holly Walker being hilarious, and Franchesca Ramsey being never funny or insightful.

5. mary says:

Larry Wilmore getting cancelled reminds me of the Smothers Brothers getting cancelled. The white smug power elite doesn’t want anyone speaking truth to it. I especially loved Mike Yard but loved everyone. Funniest women on TV. This was the smartest, sharpest, truest, most important conversation on TV. Of course it would have to be taken off. 4 days notice! That is beyond rude. I thought Comedy Central was hipper than that. Now they’re going to put on “At Midnight”? Are you serious? I suspect this comment won’t get printed.

6. Preacher Book says:

Larry Wilmore was very good and spoke on behalf of a lotta people, especially against Bill Cosby (No one has forgotten about you MF!)

I am truly sorry to see the show go. Shoulda kept the name, The Minority Report.

7. Robin says:

Comedy Central made a big mistake– plus they are pukes to cut the show loose with only 4 days notice.
    Larry Wimore’s content was fresh, entertaining and thought provoking. I learned a lot and developed a greater understanding of racial issues faced by several ethnicities other than my own. Jon Stewart is right that no one else is talking about the things Larry Wimore brought to our attention. I hope another network (HBO?) picks up the show.

@midnight is a sad sad end of the road for The Nightly Show time slot.

8. Angela says:

Really nice speech from Jon Stewart :). I love this thing of him showing up on any shows his former “Daily Show” correspondents do/have done and lending his support and advice and whatnot. It’s kinda like a proud parent checking how their kids are doing :D.
    Sorry to see Larry go, but I loved his final reassurance that he wasn’t done with his work. Good to hear that. I hope we get to see him on TV again as soon as possible. And I liked the laid-back vibe of last night’s episode, too-I’m glad everyone got to just kinda kick back and reflect on and celebrate all the fun things they’d been able to do.

9. Kim R says:

I wonder if the current Daily Show lead in hurt him. In my opinion The Daily Show is not at all what it used to be and I rarely get through an entire episode before I turn it off.

10. Dewey says:

One reason is the replacements for Stewart and Colbert is that the new hosts don’t have the passion for politics as Stewart and Colbert. Jon Stewart, after he left his The Daily Show, went through the halls of Congress with a film crew to get Congressmen to vote for a Veterans Rights bill. When was the last time you heard of a comedian doing that?

Trevor Noah and Larry Wilmore may act the parts but the emotion, the passion, the anger and the railing of the idiocy of the political system doesn’t come through when they rant and rave in their 5-minute segments.

How many times have you seen Jon Stewart stop and compose himself when he goes off on a politician? Too many. And it was a joy to watch.

Its one thing to come into a studio and read lines and its another to believe in what you are doing and trying to make a difference.

11. Al says:

Stewart is a left wing tool that should just go away…… Please! Just go away!!

12. Juke says:

I was sad to hear that the reason they canceled this show was because it never connected with their desired teenage boy demographic. I heard that and I was like, well, that explains why Comedy Central has kept doing Tosh and the other gross and stupid shows. Gross and stupid yes, but very appealing to 13-year-old boys. The mature and the female are being invited to look elsewhere. I’m doing just that. Thanks for the tip, Comedy Central.

13. Big Cheddar says:

After seeing Jordan Klepper’s “Extreme Vetting” piece on the Daily Show last night, I wonder if his show is going to be announced as the time slot replacement. He signed a development deal at the same time Jessica Williams did.