Exclusive
Agents of SHIELD Jason O'Mara

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s New Director Is Shaking Things Up — Fall TV First Look

Jason O’Mara is large and in charge — and cloaked in no small degree o’mystery — as Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. introduces its new Director.

As revealed in the season-ending six-month time jump, Coulson is no longer calling the shots at the covert organization, for reasons that will be revealed early in the Season 4 premiere (airing Tuesday, Sept. 20, now at 10/9c). Instead, he, Mac, May et al are answering to a recently installed boss.

While mum on the new Director’s managerial style, co-showrunner Maurissa Tancharoen says, “It’s definitely a new dynamic that we added to the mix. Things have been shaken up a bit.”

And to whom, exactly, can we ascribe this shake-up? After all, the name of O’Mara’s character has yet to be revealed, though it has been said that his “Marvel roots go back to the 1940s.”

“It’s a manly name,” O’Mara confirmed for TVLine. “Yes, a very manly name.”

Want more scoop on S.H.I.E.L.D., or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Agents of SHIELD Jason O'Mara

VIDEO: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Cast Talks
New Director, Sexier Time Slot and More

1. Sal says:

I think you mean Season 4 premiere, Matt. Thank you for the scoop! Looking forward to the episode and his character. I still wish Cobie Smulders was on the show & Maria Hill was the new director, but okay!

2. Dj says:

I hope its Jim Hammond. With LMDs being a part of this season he could be one of them. But as for manly names. Robert Frank (the Whizzer) from the 40s and marvel uses him in their animated series. Or how about John Steele another character from the 40s.

3. Joey Padron says:

Good first look photo of him. Can’t wait to find out what his name is in new season!

4. Shoe says:

There’s a Rick Stoner, who apparently stated that the Howling Commandos would never be SHIELD agents. Could be him, but there’s one drawback. I think I would probably giggle every time someone said, “Director Stoner.” Can you do weed jokes on a broadcast network at 10 pm?

5. canadian ninja says:

Lance Manion.

6. Jeffrey McGraw says:

Either descendant of Dum Dum Duggan or Happy Sam Sawyer.

7. The Kaibosh says:

Joseph Chapman: Great grandson to James Montgomery Falsworth who was “Union Jack” and fought alongside Captain America in World War II.

• Coverdale says:

Actually, Chapman was the best friend of Ken Crichton, who was the Falsworth grandson. He took it over because Ken wasn’t suited for it (and I think it was as simple as that as an explanation). Of course, if they do go down the Union Jack route, that means Baron Blood. Vampires usually mean magic (except for Morbius) and considering the upcoming Dr. Strange movie is the official intro of magic into the MCU, I could definitely see AOS going supernatural (and not just with Ghost Rider).

8. Brigid says:

I love everything Jason O’Mara does. So looking forward to him being on SHIELD!!!

9. Jason Jones says:

I thought the reason Coulson isn’t director is because S.H.I.E.L.D. is no longer a secret organization due to the Sokovia accords.

10. Tony says:

One of the original WWII Howling Commandos, Dino Manelli. He did hint it was a many name. Manly – Manelli

11. Tony Mcdonald says:

Keep coulsin agents of shield. Bring. Agent carter back. Time frame. The search for capt.america. when he crashed the plane.

12. I wonder how Nick Fury will react to all of this.

13. Ty says:

It wouldn’t really be the same as before. Marvel’s Agents of Shield won’t be the same without Coulson. NOOOOOOOOOO!

At least have Coulson show up in some episodes! Ahh (DEAD).

14. CJW says:

I wonder if he’s maybe related to Jack Thompson of the SSR (from Agent Carter). He could be a thorn in Coulson’s side just like Jack was to Peggy.