Blind Item

Blind Item: This Fall's Biggest Casting News Has Not Been Announced

You need a scorecard to keep track of all the personnel shakeups underway on your favorite returning shows (hey, such a scorecard exists!). But there’s one slide conspicuously missing from TVLine’s comprehensive Fall TV Cast Changes roundup — and with good reason. You see, this particular piece of casting news is intended to be a spit-take-worthy shock to end all spit-take-worthy shocks. [UPDATE: BLIND ITEM REVEALED!]

According to sources, a returning series on one of the Big 5 networks is getting ready to pull off what will likely go down as one of the coolest, most surprising casting stunts of the year. The onscreen twist — which was shot earlier this month under a Star Wars-level veil of secrecy — is set to air during the show’s season premiere.

Prediction: The show — and [Spoiler]’s name — will be trending on Twitter before the closing credits roll.

Normally, we’d tell you to hit the comments with your best guesses, but we’ve given you so little to go on, it probably makes more sense for you to just share with us your ultimate stunt casting fantasy.

1. Daya says:

I’m guessing it’s a big movie name moving down to the small screen–should be interesting!

• Randi says:

CBS did that all last season with Bradley Cooper on LIMITLESS, though. So it wouldn’t be a big shock to do it again.

• Dude says:

Yeah but we knew that Bradley Cooper was going to be on Limitless. To just be watching Grey’s Anatomy and have George Clooney pop in like it’s NBD would be newsworthy. And also, that’s what I want it to be.

• Daya says:

What’s your idea? (That’s all I had.)

• SG says:

SO many comments here. All are incorrect. I’m choosing yours to reply to because it is near the top.

You all fail to realize the year it is. The election year that it is.

I’ll go ahead and let everyone know. Hillary Clinton is going to show up on the season premiere of Madame Secretary. You are all thinking it is a Hollywood A-list actor. Not even close.

• Jennifer says:

Wow. cocky aren’t we? I doubt that it will be Hillary OR Trump. If I remember correctly, you would have to give equal time to both opponents. And they would never do this this close to the election.

• Laura says:

Hey TV Line, was this Blind Item revealed yet?

2. I bet its on ABC and is Agents of SHIELD given the Star Wars reference and Marvel owning both.

3. Julio says:

Michael Ausiello has been cast in the Gilmore Girls revival!

4. Jennifer says:

Drama or comedy? Can you tell us that?

5. izombiefan says:

The biggest shock would be – Katherine Heigl coming back to GA (i wish)

6. Chuck says:

My guess: Michelle Obama on Scandal.

7. Patrick says:

Let it be Cristina from Grey’s xD please

8. Lauren says:

Meredith wakes up from a coma and Derek is by her side. Everything since the wreck was a dream…

I know that isn’t happening but a girl can dream.

9. Al says:

This has to be a Shonda show
    Either Greys or HTGAWM

Maybe Meryl Streep on Murder would be my hope

• ERic J says:

I had a similar thought…. if it’s not a Shonda show it’s a Berlantiverse show
      *Berlantiverse (Arrow, Flash, Legends & Supergirl)

• Shawn says:

Viola is good friends with Denzel too, he even visited the set last season while they were filming

• Dr. Opossum says:

And Viola is starring in a movie Denzel is directing later this year, plus he directed a Grey’s episode recently. Denzel is a good possibility.

10. Happy Go Lucky says:

Agents of Shield finally got RDJ, Hemsworth or Evans?

• JenJ says:

Now that’s something I would think of as an awesome twist having one of the Avengers on Shield.
      I think that we are all missing the wording, though: “will likely go down as one of the coolest, most surprising casting stunts of the year. The onscreen twist”

A twist means that something significant happens that changes something already going on in the series. So, this could mean that the direction of a particular character or the series itself could be changed. Hmmm…

• AV says:

It would be a twist because the Avengers still think Coulson is dead. This would confirm for characters in the broader Marvel Cinematic Universe that he’s alive.

• Big Cheddar says:

I immediately thought RDJ on AoS as well. That would be a big get.

• Flump says:

Well we’re waiting to find out who the new director is. RDJ or Evans turning up in that capacity would qualify as a twist

• canadian ninja says:

Best guess. Fits with Big 5 network, broadcast show.

And seriously what’s going to be trending on twitter and spit take worthy if not Cap/Stark showing up on AoS?

Of course now I’m going to be crushed if it’s something else. I mean nothing against a show like Vampire Diaries but if this is just Dobrev coming back . . . kinda expecting it.

• NoName says:

Production on Agents of SHIELD season 4 began last month, therefore I think, that episode 401 had been finished by the end of July. On these grounds I disbelieve that it is Agents of SHIELD.
        I think a CW show is more likely.

• canadian ninja says:

Hey, I expect to be disappointed but – if RDJ agrees to shoot a scene and can only fit in an afternoon in the first week of August the AoS people aren’t going to say “well never mind then”. They can easily tack on a quick “Phil, you’re alive and you didn’t tell me!?!” to the first episode.

Keep hope alive!

• Haylscat says:

Or it could just be Samuel L Jackson – he’s appeared on SHIELD before and then in the show and in the movies he’s been in hiding, but maybe he resurfaces. I don’t know if I’d call it a ‘spit-take-worthy’ shock since we, as an audience know he’s still alive and out there, but it seems a more likely possibility. I would love for it to be one of the others. Especially Cap since Coulson is such a fanboy, and as far as we’ve seen onscreen, Cap still thought he was dead at the hands of Loki, so that could be a fun conversation.

• Lorraine says:

I think “before the closing credits roll” is a clue that it’s AoS. They always have an end credit scene.

• Or Renner or Johannsen. They actually make a bit more sense since they were actual agents of SHIELD.

11. trooperwife says:

JDM on SUPERNATURAL 😍😍

12. Erica says:

So which shows were shooting their season premieres this month?

13. Ana says:

Given the Star Wars reference it’s probably Agents of Shield, and boy do they need some magic to bring viewers back. Like most ABC shows it’s been shedding viewers since S1E1.

• Mary says:

Why do people automatically think a Star Wars reference must mean ABC? Sure Disney owns Star Wars now, but I pointed out above how it could also mean CW – Harrison Ford is married to Calista Flockhart who is on Supergirl, and how it can also be Fox as Carrie Fisher’s daughter is on Scream Queens. Plus Carrie has appeared on shows on NBC. So stop thinking that Star Wars automatically means ABC. Besides he said it had to do with security level.

• Steveo says:

Also the wording suggests this is a cameo or guest star thing, not a major recurring it starring part.

• steve says:

to many people gave up on agents of shield early. this has become a very good show. it found its sea legs and is doing very good stories,

I don’t think is shield. I think is the flash. they love to do stunt casting, and with flashpoint storyline, could be anyone

• Ben says:

They’ve had plenty of magic. If something like the episode on Maveth can’t bring people back, they can’t do much better. Once people decide to leave and bash something, they don’t ‘come back’ any more. Too many options, no one just pops in to a show to see how it’s going along. The only way such people would check it out is binging it some time later.

• NoName says:

I agree, Ben. I left after episode 3×04 because of an emetic Inhuman/superpowered main characters-overdose. I don’t come back for another season revolving only around superpowered main characters and Inhumans, and I’m not binging it later, that’s waste of time.

I would come back for a spy-show revolving around Agents without superpowers dealing with different threats and doing spy-things. But I expect that season 4 is just like season 3.

14. Jenny says:

Stabler returning to SVU?

15. Patty & Selma says:

Macgyver – Richard Dean Anderson

16. badlands75 says:

Charlie Cox on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Amy says:

Or Kristen Ritter. Either would work well with the Daisy story line.

• Haylscat says:

I would LOVE for them to officially connect the ABC and Netflix Marvel worlds in person. Then maybe they can start being better about movie/tv continuity and allow SHIELD to build up to the eventual Inhumans movie without it being a totally separate ‘cinematic universe’ thing.

17. Cassie says:

Tom Welling on Supergirl

• Nelson says:

YES!! Please god, tom wellig superman from a alternate universe

• ERic J says:

Doubtful, alternate universes characters are portrayed by the actor/actress just with different persona’s aka personalities. Also now the Supergirl is on The CW, Smallville’s network, I doubt they’d want him to return for that because he’d foreshadow Tyler and/or Melissa and this being SuperGIRL they’d want to keep the focus on her not on someone who formerly played Superman (or “The Blue Blur”).

18. hbeachman says:

@Michael, Is this a one-off appearance or will the mystery guest be a series regular or recurring?

19. A.J. says:

Chris Meloni on SVU

20. Mtertainment says:

RDJ on Agents of SHIELD. Gotta be.

21. Elle says:

Wait, so is the actor in question just a guest star in the season premiere or actually joining the cast full time?

22. Jen says:

George Takei on the Big Bang Theory would be my ultimate.

23. Marguerite says:

For the first time in years, we know it isn’t Castle!

24. Adam says:

I’m guessing it is Agents of SHIELD with one of the film characters cameoing.

25. Rachel says:

Honestly the only things that would shock me would be a flash fwd on Gotham showing Christian Bale as a grown up Bruce (not Ben please) or instead of Tyler what’s his name playing superman on supergirl it’s Henry Cavill.

26. Ralph Lucarella says:

Mel Gibson on Fox’s Lethal Weapon reboot. That would cause a stir!

27. hbeachman says:

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I’ll throw out Meryl Streep making a one-time appearance on a series. Not a cameo, with some lines and a scene or scenes.

28. Jeff hunter says:

Any of the DC Shows with Richard Grayson!Jeff aka poochie2

29. Mary says:

Pleaseeee be Bethany Joy Lenz!!! I need her on a big show !!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Emmy says:

Nina Dobrev on Vamp Diaries? Although that probably wouldn’t be that shocking…

31. Bryan says:

It’s either someone’s coming back on Grey’s (Izzie? Cristina? Erica HAHN!?)
    or maybe Michelle Obama on Scandal

32. i second Izzy on Grey’s Anatomy. That would cause quite the spit take.

33. Jason says:

A member of the DCEU shows up on one of the CW shows establishing that the DCEU and ArrowVerse are all part of the multiverse. My guess is Henry Cavill showing up on Arrow or SuperGirl. It could open up possibilities across the spectrum, but would improve DCEU.

• ERic J says:

Highly doubtful because from all I’ve read both the television execs as well as the movie execs are trying to keep those two franchises (movie DCEU vs TV DCEU) separated both story and actor. By bringing in an actor from the movie franchise to the TV franchise throws the balance off and puts lots of attention on the guest actor versus the constant recurring/series regular actor/actress.

• CPav says:

Plus there are distinct versions of the Flash in each of the DCEU and TVDCEU, so it would have to be alternate universes (or the Flashpoint timeline, I guess), not a unification of the movie and tv DCEUs.

34. Bob Gillan says:

Star Wars-level and “credits roll” suggest that it’s gonna be something related to Star Wars characters or actors. Also, that narrows it down to returning shows on ABC… Hmmmm…

35. Nicole Walker says:

Tom Welling on Supergirl.

36. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

For some reason the first thing that came to mind was Michael Keaton on Gotham.

• Michelle says:

Adam West appearing on Gotham was what came to mind for me first.

Give us clue Michael Ausiello…. Has anyone guessed right yet?

• Nat says:

My thought, too. Adam West (or Burt Ward, for that matter, or any one else from Batman 66 who’s still around) cameoing on Gotham would be kewl.

I’ll even hazard a couple guesses as to what it will be if it is indeed Adam West:

1. It’ll be much like Stan Lee’s cameos in the MCU, where he’s given a couple lines of comic relief commentary or some small but meaningful interaction with one of the characters.

2. It’s voice only, and “credits roll” refers to the fact that they’ll need to wait until the end credits to confirm it’s him. Most likely, this would be as the Grey Ghost, a fictional superhero from Bruce’s childhood. Like Harley Quinn, the Grey Ghost originated in the Animated Adventures in the ’90s, usually voiced by Adam West himself as a nod to his Batman role in the past.

Either way, I’d love to hear him say, “Greetings, good citizens of Gotham,” in any context.

37. RD says:

Yet another celebrity on Empire….Beyonce?

38. MiaB says:

I bet Abby isn’t dead/is coming back from the dead on Sleepy Hollow. I’ve pretty much thought that the whole time.

39. Amy says:

Agents of Shield / Doctor Strange tie in, maybe? I know Cumberbatch has been in LA and some of the cast have been tweeting about wrapping up filming. Could they have snuck something in while doing pick-ups?

40. Jason says:

The other person I see showing up is Tom Holland showing up on Agents of SHIELD as Spider-Man.

• Chelle says:

Spiderman is still a Sony property. They have loaned him to Marvel for a few cameos to build interest in the franchise, but a TV appearance is almost certainly a no go.

• H says:

That few cameos includes his own solo movie in the MCU?

• Jeff Easton says:

Sony is still the company releasing his MCU solo movie. They just came to a deal with Marvel Studios that gave them creative control over it and also allowed them to use him in Civil War and (likely) the next Avengers.

• Toni says:

Spider-Man is no longer Sony owned.

• CPav says:

I thought he still was, but Sony and Marvel have agreed to cross-pollinate between Avengers and Spidey. No such agreements with FF or X-Men.

• Jeff Easton says:

Sony still owns 100% of Spider-Man. They made a deal with Marvel Studios that gives them creative control though.

It’s very doubtful that TV cameos were worked into that deal.

41. Emily says:

I would love for it to be Ezra Miller – having the two Barry Allen’s meet in the speed force would be so cool. He seems to be up for it.

42. shutuprob says:

Agents of SHIELD. Hugh Jackman. Playing Wolverine.

• Spence says:

I actually was thinking along these lines as well. What would be more shocking than to reveal that Marvel has bought the rights to X-Men than by having Wolverine or Professor X show up on AoS?!

43. Sarah T says:

The way it’s worded it seems more like a new character (stunt casting) than a returning character (such as JDM on supernatural or Izzie). Beyond that I have no ideas! I do hope it’s someone on one of the DC shows though and desperately hope it has nothing to do with a Shonda show.

• Percysowner says:

William Shatner made a surprise appearance at the Supernatural convention in Minnesota last weekend. Maybe there was more to it than being a fan?

• c-mo says:

I’m not sure that would be spit-take worthy, he’s way too much of an SPN super fan and everyone knows his man-crush is Misha.

44. Nick says:

This is bold, but I say Jennifer Lawrence on HTGAWM. The Twitter bit feels like this will be a Shonda show, and she is a huge star and only has one movie coming out in 2017 and it’s being released in December. I think she’d be a great fit as the season’s villain!

• Chelle says:

She has three projects that have yet to start shooting. I wouldn’t bet on her making even a cameo on a TV show let alone a season arc.

45. Kevin says:

Harrison Ford on Supergirl as the in-show reason Cat Grant will be a recurring role.

46. lisasride says:

Sandra Oh is returning to Grey’s Anatomy,

47. Angelina says:

If Chris Meloni returned to SVU I’d be totally shocked!!

48. Jenny says:

Ziva on NCIS?

49. English says:

Once Upon A TIme/ Princess Leia…