Mr Robot Renewed Season 3

Mr. Robot Renewed for Season 3

Having just passed the midway point of its 12-episode sophomore run, USA Network’s Mr. Robot has been renewed for Season 3, it was announced on Tuesday.

The news comes on the heels of the psychological thriller collecting the Television Critics Association award for Outstanding New Program, as presented by yours truly and IGN’s Terri Schwartz. Mr. Robot is also up for six Emmy Awards this September, including for Best Drama and Lead Actor (Rami Malek). To date, it has also garnered two Golden Globes, three Critics’ Choice Awards, a Writers Guild Award and a Peabody.

On the ratings front, Season 2 is averaging well under a million weekly viewers and a 0.3 demo rating in Live+Same Day numbers, down some 40 percent versus its freshman run.

“We couldn’t be more proud of Mr. Robot, a series that has pushed boundaries, captured the cultural zeitgeist and been honored as one of the best dramas on television,” NBCUniversal Cable entertainment president Chris McCumber said in a statement. “Midway through its second season, Mr. Robot continues to break new ground and open up new opportunities for the network. We can’t wait to see where [series creator] Sam Esmail and the entire brilliant Robot team take us next.”

The innovative Mr. Robot in its most recent outing opened with a 17-minute send-up of retro family sitcoms. Season 2 continues Wednesday at 10/9c.

Want scoop on Mr. Robot, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. ABG. says:

I still like the show but I’m up to episode 4 of this season and it’s been mostly a bore this year. I hear it gets better with the next episode.

Also, shame about the ratings. I was expecting it to increase this year.

2. SHONDA LAUREL says:

I am shocked it was renewed based on the falling ratings.

• ABG. says:

It gets twice as much buzz as anything else on USA network… And it’s supposed to be a strong performer with DVR and stuff.

3. SO says:

Never watched it, but with falling ratings reported, is it worth it?

4. Beth says:

Surprised. We quit watching after episode 3 this season.

5. Ken says:

This season started shaky and didn’t address the finale cliffhanger (who was knocking at his apt door?) but it has rebounded with the last few episodes. I would say anyone who has dropped or thought of dropping, to stick with it.

6. I am loving this season — it’s so exhausting and powerful. It’s not an easy hour of TV, but it’s captivating. Rami is INCREDIBLE and I am loving Angela and Darlene this season.

7. sarah t says:

I watched it’s freshmen season but couldn’t get into it this year. Just not as compelling. And I find it ironic that it doesn’t do as well Suits whose on it’s 6th season yet Mr. Robot gets all the accolades.

• David4 says:

Because ratings mean good TV?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yeah, I don’t get that. It gets renewed regardless, so… watch it if you want?

• Yes, of course, it’s only the ratings that matter in this world at this time. That is why a show like “Two and a Half Men” will long be remembered as great whereas “Parks and Recreation” and “30 Rock” will not stand the test of time. Silly human race–Yes.

• sarah t says:

I didn’t say that but I’m of the opinion that Suits is good TV and has been consistently for 6 seasons. I’m not knocking Mr. Robot (and I don’t watch it so, not really sure what Matt’s comment meant) but I wish that Suits would get the props that Mr. Robot does.

• Jec says:

I agree that Suits is really good, especially season 5, but it’s not exactly groundbreaking. Mr Robot is very clever and is nothing like anything we see on TV. The writing is just fantastic, along with the directing, acting and cinematography. Suits is pretty average on those accounts, we’ll except for acting, it excels there.

• tallsy says:

Suits has been nominated for may People’s Choice Awards, and Patrick J Adams was nominated for a SAG.

8. Ed says:

Overall, I am happy about this because Mr. Robot, for all its faults, really is strong television and unlike anything else out there.

I think this season suffers from bloated episodes. Each is over an hour. Like many viewers, I found the first few episodes slow, but they were worth it as the plot has started to pick up the pace the last couple of episodes. The first few episodes wouldn’t have felt as slow if they were just an hour. It’s obviously a very stylized show, but all that style is making it feel a bit bloated too. Sometimes less is more.

9. LT says:

I just can’t get into this show. I try and try…but not really into.

10. BennyAndTheJets says:

It’s really brave of USA to turn itself into a non-profit.

• vanvon says:

Typical American attitude! Some of the worst TV series in history have had high ratings – do you know anyone who thinks NCIS is a great series?

• BennyAndTheJets says:

Millions of people like NCIS. Millions of people like Wrangler Jeans. Millions of people listen to Miley Cyrus.

My comment wasn’t about the caliber of the series. It was about the business decision to renew a show that has fewer than a million viewers and a pretty high budget.

Creatively I’d call it “pretty good.” As a financial investment by a multi-national corporation I’d call it “pretty dumb.”

• Dr. M says:

Creatively, I’d call this show ‘vacant eyed people staring at the camera’.

• Or maybe you don’t have access to the company records, so you’re in no position to assert whether or not something is profitable. Do you know how much their ad revenue is? Do you know how many ads they sell for the show? Do you know about all of its product-placement deals? Do you know the DVR numbers? Do you know the financial arrangements it has with streaming services? Do you have the DVD and BD sales figures? Do you know how much the show makes from international distribution?

• The Rookie says:

USA as in USA Netork, not U.S.A as our nation :D

11. leo says:

The episode with the terrorist attack on the FBI was the best. Anyone who think this season isn’t good should reconsider, because last few episodes were amazing…

12. B says:

Great news! This season has been very different from the first one, but sticking with it is worth it. I do think some scenes could have been shorter and not lost anything they were trying to convey; however, I’m still highly intrigued by the story and the characters. Only a couple of shows are even on my viewing list this summer. This is definitely one of them.

13. Joe Swanson says:

Hopefully the third season is better than the second.

14. Joe Swanson says:

If they have a big “twist” planned for Season 3 hopefully it is more original than the rumored twist for this season.

15. Joey Padron says:

Great news the show got renewed for season 3! Season 2 been good so far.

16. Jec says:

Do people really not like this season? I think it’s fantastic!

17. Dr. M says:

So they aren’t watching the episodes… which have been soooo boring this season.
    They aren’t watching the ratings… which are actually down more like 60+% since last season based on last week’s numbers.

I’ve been stacking up the last couple episodes on my DVR expecting a cancellation announcement any day now that would leave us hanging. I’ll probably still delete them.