Gilmore Girls Revival Season 7 Event

Gilmore Girls Creator: 'One Thing' in Season 7 'Steps On' Revival Plans

Forget the Four Words, we want to know what the Gilmore Girls revival’s “one thing” is.

During an interview last month with a small group of reporters at Television Critics Association summer press tour, series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino mentioned that she hadn’t watched the dramedy’s seventh and final season — aka the season after she and husband/series executive producer Dan Palladino exited the then-CW series.

RELATED Gilmore Girls Revival: Photos, Cast Information, Scoop and So Much More!

However, AS-P added, she asked friends who did watch to weigh in on her ideas for the revival.

“I called them and went, ‘We’re thinking of doing this. What steps on it?'” she said, noting with relief that no Season 7 event had an effect on the “big themes” she wanted to explore in the Netflix continuation.

Except…

“There was one thing I wish… I’m not going to tell you,” she said. “It was the only thing where I was like, ‘Ah, I’ll go a different way.'”

AS-P declined to say any more about the “one thing,” but clarified that she wasn’t knocking Gilmore‘s Palladino-less farewell season. “Nothing against the seventh season,” she added, “but any writer who was so emotionally connected to something and then pulled out of it is going to find it very hard to go back into that world and not feel like you either want to slit your own wrist and die slowly in a swimming pool, or be angry or be jealous.”

So now, naturally, we’re obsessed with figuring out what Season 7 event/plot line AS-P was referencing — aren’t you? Click through the following gallery of suggestions both serious (Logan’s proposal!) and silly (Knit-a-thon!) below, then hit the comments with your Gilmore guesses! — With reporting by Michael Ausiello

1. Roger Buchana says:

Most likely was Lorelai and Christopher finally getting married, or the fact that Lorelai FINALLY made it down the aisle.

• Mm says:

I agree. They were writing the Luke-Lorelai- Chris love triangle since season one, so I’m betting it killed her to see that they married her to Chris and put the final nail in that coffin with the disaster. That would be a storyline that a writer would consider their baby

2. Courtney says:

I think it may be Lorelai getting married for the first time to Chris…or maybe Logan proposing.

• Actually I think it was Lane getting pregnant SO young and with twins.

• Sheikia says:

agreed. Both the logan proposal and lorelei’s marriage are plotlines that basically brought us back to where we were before-Rory not being married and Lorelei not being married. Lane’s pregnancy is something that you cannot take back.

• Ash says:

There’s a child actor for the character Stevie, which was one of the twins, so it can’t be that. I think it’s something more like career choices, like Paris choosing Med school. I could see AS-P changing it to lawyer.

• PL says:

Just because ASP didn’t watch Season 7 doesn’t mean she’s ignoring what happened in it. Casting Lane’s twins in the revival doesn’t mean that wasn’t the plot she wanted to explore…

• David4 says:

I agree. I thought right away about the twins. After the horrible season 6 she wrote there was going to be a mess (Chris and April) in the new season.

3. Dannie C says:

Maybe Logan & Rory breaking up

4. Carolina says:

It was either the Lorelai and Christopher marriage or Logan’s proposal and breakup to Rory.

5. Totally, Lane’s pregnancy! I always thought that direction was a little odd for her..

6. patrickmaloney33 says:

“No hard feelings towards the seventh season, but… It kind of makes want to kill myself.” Lol

7. Drewer says:

AS-P always seemed very partial to Anna and April, and tge contentious custody battle that was a lot of Luke’s story in season seven and didn’t paint Anna in a great light never felt very Gilmore to me. Plus I think that AS-P really liked the idea of Luke having a very close relationship with his daughter. So my guess is that in AS-P’s world April and Anna never went or weren’t in Arizona (or NM?) for very long.

8. Lucesniffer says:

Logan heads off to London instead of Cali after his failed proposal!

9. Chrissy says:

Maybe I’m the only person on the planet to feel this way, but I kind of liked that they made Lorelai and Christopher get married ONLY because it then broke them up one last time for good, which meant Lorelai could then ultimately end up with Luke. I hated it as I was watching it back when it aired, but at least it put some closure on that relationship. And the very last episode with the party was a satisfying end to me. Would have liked the season better had ASP been in charge? Probably. But she wasn’t, so they made the best of it.

I didn’t like the Lane pregnancy storyline, only because she was so young. Maybe she didn’t like that Lorelai serenaded Luke to “I will always love you”? :-)

• Nerwen Aldarion says:

I actually thought the marriage was a good thing too. Not that I wanted to see Lorelei get married to Christopher but because I knew it would finally shut that door forever when the marriage inevitably failed

• David4 says:

You aren’t the only one. Season 7 is actually better than season 6 by miles. The storylines were moved forward and the stupidest thing the show has ever done that makes me want to hurt myself, APRIL, was shipped away.

• Heather says:

I liked the party except for the fact that, that as far as I remember atleast it was the only day it ever rained in stars hallow! Lol

10. Baker Girl says:

could it be… Luke selling his dads boat and then buying his own.. complete with a small kitchen and everything….

11. Heather says:

I think it was either Lane’s pregnancy or Lorelei’s elopement

12. Kate says:

ASP has said that April wasn’t supposed to be a custody battle but that Anna was going to be competition for Lorelei

13. Kate says:

I’m so curious to know what the one thing was. Maybe the Lorelai and Chris marriage or Logan’s proposal. I wonder…

14. Oh just shut up you pretentious bitch. You personally ruined the show before you left.

• David4 says:

I like you.

Not enough fans agree. Season 6 is like a kid having a fit and burning down the house because he’s forced to clean his room. Then season 7 they tried to save what was left but it was difficult. The season 7 marriage was the only way out of that horrible mess of a finale, and they shipped April away. Also Lane getting married was a bad idea too.

• jannawhearty says:

I have to agree. The whole second half of s6 felt like a temper tantrum to me. Almost like she was daring them to cancel the show or cut her out of it. Dont get me wrong, I still regard ASP and her husband as two of the best in the business. However, I believe that it was set up either to force them to keep them on or to give their replacement a terrible time getting them out of the corner they had painted the show in to. That being said, I bet the thing she wished hadnt happened is either Lanes pregnancy or Logans proposal.

• S says:

Yesss exactly. It’s why I have a tiny bit of hate that she gets to write more, when she so royally screwed season 6.

• Finally someone said it! I can’t wait for the next season, but a small part of me is very aware that had things been done right in the beginning, we probably would have been able to enjoy a few more seasons.

• Ellie says:

I agree with the both of you!!! While I’m happy ASP is coming back to tell more of her story in the Gilmore World, I take issue with her contempt of season 7, as in my opinion, & like most have said, season 6 was worse; it really did look as if ASP & DP tried to sabatoge season 7 because they were pissed they did not win-out in negotiations. In my opinion, even if the network was incredibly unfair to the creators, the fans should have never been the ones to suffer. The fans were the innocent bystanders, along with the TV characters themselves, and both the creators in the studio or at fault. Revenge storytelling, played out on-screen, should never be a thing. ;)
        While season 7 did have a few storylines that were duds (okay…..truthfully, a couple that were horrific), they were the direct result from the horrible storytelling and unresolved storyline’s from season 6. Because ASP indirectly or directly created all of those storylines, means she really should have dealt with her anger, frustration etc… and watched season 7 before writing the revival. If she is a fan of her characters and the world they live in, she needs to know the characters and their complete stories thus far; she needs to see the world all of the fans have seen. That said, I’m glad that she is allowed to finish her vision and give the fans what they wanted for years! I know that I’m thrilled.

• misery chick says:

YAAAASSSSSS, THANK YOU x 1,000!

• Anna says:

I completely agree! I love her work, but personally she’s getting way too arrogant for me to stand, and this whole circus around the revival has already made me less excited about watching it.

15. Kaitlyn says:

Am I the only one that thinks that Lorelai will get back together will Luke??? Please tell me I’m not the only one…I also think that Layne’s children will be a big part of it too, and maybe something with Rory and Logan.

16. kcg19 says:

Who actually cares about the “four words”? I’m sick of hearing about them

17. Dawn Perry says:

My thoughts of season seven….not a match for the previous 6 seasons. Nothing ended in a connected way. Maybe season 7 wasn’t going to be the last if Amy SP and David hadn’t left. The writers did what they could i guess, but it was a let down. Some of the cast stuck by the show as producers like Lauren Graham.

18. Sara says:

I have to say that she’s a bit overly dramatic sometimes. All this stuff about slitting wrists and then about how she told network execs that she would hang herself if they released the shows all at once…..and I know that she was totally kidding….but calm down a bit. Sheesh. I guess that’s her humor.

19. Lee lee says:

I just have one thing to say. I am super ecited about the rivial of this show. I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan! So, okay that was two things…..

20. MBF says:

So..She’s creating a revival of a show with obsessive fans, and she didn’t watch the last season where she left off? If she’s really as passionate about this show as she says I have a difficult time believing that she would put her stubborn pride over creating the best product possible. It’s been years, they did a season without you, you can leave your pity party now.

• Anna says:

I agree, I think she’s getting too arrongant and it makes me less and less excited for the revival. The only thing I hated in season 7 was Lane’s pregnancy, but I didn’t love her wedding either (and the failed honeymoon with awful sex). I love AS-P’s writing, I could watch Roseanne and GG over and over, but this is getting ridiculous and petty!

21. Janie says:

I think it’s Lane’s pregnancy. Since AS-P screwed Lorelai by having her wake up in Christopher’s bed at the end of s6, they had to explore the Lorelai/Christopher relationship in s7, Logan’s proposal was a natural progression of the story line.

22. Daphne says:

I’m gonna go with either Logan’s proposal or Lane’s pregnancy. I doubt ASP would want to revisit the Lorelai/Christopher fiasco after all these years, especially since it was implied that she and Luke are still together.

23. G says:

I would be surprised if something that “went a different way” was anything substantial like the marriage to Christopher. (If she never did, why wouldn’t Lorelai have married Luke by now?)

Makes more sense that it’s something with Rory’s career. You can change that without upsetting any balances, since the only effect her job choice had on the world was the big final party.

24. Chaney says:

I hated Logan and Rory breaking up, horrible,awful, ahhhhh!! I loved Logan.

25. Brigid says:

Nothing worse than having someone dangle a carrot in front of your hungry self and then pulling it away to watch you starve. I hate that stuff. If you don’t want to tell us than don’t even say anything. So stupid!!

26. Maia says:

I don’t know what the one thing is, however, Lane’s pregnancy was a dumb plot choice. I’m actually kinda mad at ASP for not watching season 7, does she even know what happened to each character? I swear I’ll be FURIOUS and DISSAPPOINTED if Rory and Logan don’t get back together!!

• Lulu says:

While I’m not with you and the Rory & Logan thing (nothing against him, I’d just like to see her with a new boyfriend or single – I’m her age and I know I wouldn’t get back together with any of my high school boyfriends), I agree on the season 7 thing. I find it arrogant and disrespectful, since she’s actually making it a point to brag about not watching S7, like she’s such a rebel for it, or whatever.

27. Bill Rivers says:

I think it was the embrace by Lorelei & Luke at the end of the last episode.

28. I got Netflix because of Gilmore Girls Revival says:

Lane’s pregnancy

29. Mara says:

I actually thought season 6 was the disaster, which she wrote. Luke not telling Lorelei about April was so out of character and that’s just one thing. Season 7 at least tried to capture the spirit of the earlier seasons.

30. Charlize says:

It could be Sookie getting pregnant for a third time

31. Anna says:

I’m wondering if it’s the fact that towards the end Lorelai clearly says that she will continue the Friday night dinners with her parents…

Otherwise, Marty’s storyline comes to mind, but then I’m not sure if he was relevant enough (too bad, I liked Marty).

32. RK says:

I think its about Hep Alien. Lane should have gone into labor while they were playing a gig, and gone right back to being a rockin’ mom instead of sending hubby off to go on tour without her. Easily fixed in new series :)

33. lovemyjeter says:

Hopefully it’s Liz naming her kid Doula….I would have thought it should be more Renaissance -y

34. Carlie says:

I agree with the Lane comments. Poor Lane they really threw her through the wringer post high school.

On the topic of Lorelai and Chris getting married…I always thought that I could have lived with it if they hadn’t actually got married. I never felt it made sense that Lorelai would get married without Rory. I know she wanted to get married, but it never felt right.
    -but I never liked Chris…even from the beginning.

35. Amy says:

Why did you make the girl’s, one” stupid “and the other one a “Slet”. Some thing is wrong with writer. Dose she have family problems.