Exclusive
Bones Season 12

Bones Enlists Acting Vets Ed Asner and Hal Holbrook for Final Season

Two members of television royalty will descend on Bones during the series’ 12th and final season.

Emmy winners Ed Asner (The Mary Tyler Moore Show) and Hal Holbrook (Evening Shade) have booked guest stints on the Fox drama, TVLine has learned exclusively.

In the coming season’s third Episode, Asner will portray Mike Mancuso, a seemingly kindly man who turns out to be quite the slippery, deceptive and duplicitous wise guy. Holbrook, meanwhile, will play Red Fletcher, a Marine Corp veteran who possesses a strong and silent demeanor — think Agent Booth (David Boreanaz) in about 40 years.

Bones‘ 12-episode farewell season is slated to premiere in early 2017 on Fox.

1. sarah t says:

Looking forward to these two being on the show!

2. Kia says:

Oh cool! I was wondering if we’ll get anything on Bones from TV Line. Still can’t bare the thought of ‘final season’ :(

3. Andrew Hass says:

Since this is the final season of Bones, maybe the show is going to use these 2 characters to play a part in what happen.For example maybe Booth meets the character of Red Fletcher and realizes that could be in 40 years but realizes that’s not who he wants to be.So it could cause Booth to re-evaluate his career choice.

4. kmw says:

Both good actors I cannot wait to see them action January is so far away

5. heather says:

This is great news, they are both wonderful!!

Are they both in ep 3 or just Ed?

6. HAP says:

They better start shooting soon. Asner is 86 and Holbrook is 91.

• kmw says:

They have already started shooting they should be done with at least the one Emily Deschanel is directing. And in fact they will likely be done shooting all of their episodes before we see their season premiere Looking forward to all these last episodes

7. Lyn says:

I’m surprised that their respective ages aren’t mentioned. Asner is 90 and Holbrook turned 91 in February.

8. George says:

Always enjoy seeing Ed Asner. Anyone who saw his slippery jewel thief on Hawai’i Five-O and 5-0 will know that he can do evil very well.

9. Jane Sellman says:

One of the best shows ever. It celebrates intelligence, compassion, diversity, and looking for truth. Best of all, it shows how family means more than people who are related by genetics or marriage. Family can be created from friends and coworkers. Not to mention it has created a Middle Eastern character who is not a villain.

10. kelly fields says:

I will be very upset to see this series end I’ve watched bones from the start, actually I’ve watched David from his start and I hope and pray that he does something else after this we want David!!! when does this start again??? its now the end of Aug so how long do we have to wait????? it’s killing me to have to do all this waiting around. I truly wish Fox would of worked with David an Emily (sp?) on what ever the issues were, trust me people would of watched Bones till it dying days if need be meaning we would of stayed with bones till its end not meaning this end but years to come end lol!!!! I’d also like to know weather David an Emily will star in any other shows after this? I can deficiently see David going forth maybe with a newer version of Angel or Buffy starting David of course

11. kelly fields says:

I really really wish they wouldn’t cancel Bone’s I’ve watched it from the start an still do on other channels faithfully what are the chances of it continuing?!?! probably slim to none right :'(

12. Glenda Ireland says:

Just watched this episode. Great ending with the daughter. But who helped put the body in the barrel? Just wondering. Seems they all were too fragile to lift someone into the barrel. Was it Sam, the aid or the manager?