HBO Robert Downey Jr Series

Robert Downey Jr., True Detective Boss Eye (Perry Mason?) Series at HBO

As it mulls a third season of True Detective, HBO is reportedly teaming with series creator Nic Pizzolatto on a series that would star Iron Man himself, Robert Downey Jr.

Per our sister site Variety, Pizzolatto and Downey Jr. are in talks to respectively pen and star in a drama series that just might be a small-screen reboot of the Perry Mason film the latter had been developing at Warner Bros.

Among its several incarnations, Perry Mason is best remembered as a CBS TV series that ran 1957-1966, starring Raymond Burr as the titular criminal defense attorney. (Burr reprised the role in numerous TV-movies, from 1985 until his death in 1993.

HBO had no comment on Variety‘s report.

Downey Jr.’s scant previous TV credits include a run on Ally McBeal.

1. Don says:

This is a great idea. Perry Mason has been off the air for a while, and it would be nice to see the character visited again. Raymond Burr owned the role on TV, and Robert Downey is one of the few people I can see bringing an equal level of talent and strength to the role.

2. O'yaya says:

….well since every movie actor is getting their own tv show, I want a Matt Damon tv show where he’s some kind of stipper.

3. Rich H. says:

Perry Mason with Raymond Burr is a classic. It’s on daily on ME-TV and why anyone would try to do it again is a mystery to me. You just can’t make that show any better.

4. Brian says:

Like this.

5. Lori says:

Sounds cool. He was great as a lawyer in The Judge.

6. Malissa R. says:

I love it!

7. 1idpete says:

Well, Downey was already a terrible Sherlock Holmes so how much worse can he be as Perry Mason?

8. peterwdawson says:

Is Downey tall enough to play Mason?

9. safriddle says:

PLEASE NO!!!!! The last thing we need is a lawyer with a smart mouth and no brains!!! Perry Mason is one of my MOST favorite book series. The level of action and drama is phenomenal. Please oh please oh please oh please oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee dont ruin an awesome book by casting Downey Jr. A good actor definitely, just i cant stand the idea of Mason delivering cheesy one liners(Terrible idea REALLY).

• KCC says:

The books’ quality will not diminish because HBO made a show based on the character of Perry Mason. Did The New Perry Mason series starring Monte Markham as Mason in the early 1970s ruin the books? The Sherlock Holmes books are just as good today as they were before they were adapted to dozens of movies and TV series with several different actors playing the part of Holmes, some good, some bad.

10. maggie says:

Doesn’t anyone have any new ideas? Why not create a new lawyer for Downey to play?

11. Debbie says:

I’d watch RDJ read the phone book, so I’m in. I’ve seen every iteration of Perry Mason and see no reason why this couldn’t be successful.

12. Lauren says:

I should be like, No, this is terrible. But I will follow RDJ anywhere so I’m on board.

13. MMD says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, even though I love Robert Downey Jr.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How a about coming up with an original thought instead of regurgitating all the old ones. Even though Raymond Burr was full of cancer he put his heart and soul into those final movies and owns that character.

14. SAM says:

What a great idea! I would watch.

15. Marco Piazzo says:

Uh… I don’t know. As much as this idea sounds kind of fun (and a revamped version of that classic theme would be AWESOME) it kinda feels like we’re retreating into the past instead of advancing into the future…