Larry Wilmore Cancelled

Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore Cancelled at Comedy Central

Comedy Central is saying “good night” to Larry Wilmore.

The cabler has cancelled The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore, with this Thursday’s episode serving as the show’s swan song.

“Even though we’ve given it a year and a half, we’ve been hoping against hope that it would start to click with our audience, but it hasn’t happened and we’ve haven’t seen evidence of it happening,” Comedy Central president Kent Alterman told the New York Times.

“I’m really grateful to Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, and our fans to have had this opportunity,” Wilmore said in a statement. “But I’m also saddened and surprised we won’t be covering this crazy election or ‘The Unblackening’ as we’ve coined it. And keeping it 100, I guess I hadn’t counted on ‘The Unblackening’ happening to my time slot as well.”

As the Times notes, Wilmore has been drawing half the ratings of his predecessor, Stepen Colbert (1.7 million versus 776K).

For the foreseeable future, @midnight will replace The Nightly Show at 11:30, with Trevor Noah’s also-struggling Daily Show staying put at 11 pm. A replacement for Wilmore will be announced sometime next year.

Despite being in the midst of one of the most incendiary election seasons in history, Wilmore’s penetrating commentary — particularly with regard to race relations — failed to cut through the clutter, bemoaned Alterman. “We were hoping that we would get a turnaround along the way including the wild, wild two weeks of the conventions,” he told the Times. “We just haven’t seen it on any level from the general conversation to ratings to any sort of traction on social media platforms.”

1. SJ says:

Great! One lib down, many more to go. Let Trevor Noah or Seth Meyers be next!

• June says:

Yes, because God forbid there be any viewpoint on TV outside of what Fox News tells you to think, right?

• D says:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD and stop stealing my thoughts

• The Kaibosh says:

Do you really think this will be the last of Larry Wilmore’s commentary? Neo Con fool.

• dan says:

No, but the article makes it pretty plain that nobody cares what he has to say so I guess I don’t know what the point is. He lost me when he dropped the N-Bomb on the President of The United States of America. Haven’t watched him once since.

• The Kaibosh says:

Yet here you are recalling the Correspondent’s Dinner and agreeing that his commentary will continue while engaged in a discussion about him. Sounds a lot like you and others DO care about what he says.

• I love the Larry Wilmore show. I will never ever watch the racist Comedy Central channel again.

• Simon says:

Maybe if there were more reliable right wing conservative outlets or reporters, I wouldn’t laugh so hard at your criticism of the “left wing media” I never understood how they always blame the media. Yet Fox News who is so blatantly biased and incorrect goes unscathed by you conservatives.
      Also if you are just a troll please stay away from this beloved site.

• grazelled says:

Maybe people want someone more like them, the rare for TV but where most of the American people can be found… that elusive moderate host who can let both libs and conservatives have it when needed. I may be wrong but watching old clips of Bob Hope and Johnny Carson it seemed they could skewer any politician regardless of who was in what party. Wish I could have seen them live.

Btw if I want to get unbiased news about the USA I usually read BBC online or watch both CNN/Foxnews and divided the difference down the middle.

2. Kate Garner says:

Unacceptable! Very mad about this. Larry has brought sorely needed cultural education to late night. Comedy Central has botched the entire late night lineup – except @midnight – at this point.

• KCC says:

How did Comedy Central botch it? By giving him a show? You can’t make people watch shows they don’t like.

• acouvis says:

Bit tough to blame all of this on Wilmore in the first place. Both the Daily Show and the Colbert Report basically changed at relatively the same time. Noah is no Stewart and while Wilmore is no Colbert, he would have had a far better chance if he had been following Stewart’s Daily Show for a few months instead of Noah’s (which also has low ratings).

• Sheila says:

I really liked Larry, but hated the others in the show. I’d watch the opening, then turn it off before a sketch with those unfunny morons. It got to the point where the discussions with experts/celebs/whoever at the end only lasted two minutes. Just have more Larry!

• I’d say they just botched @midnight by putting it on @eleventhirty.

3. June says:

Larry’s gone, but Trevor Noah gets to stick around?

4. DJ Doena says:

The Daily Show will probably be next.

As a non-American (country & continent) I’ve been watching the Daily Show for the past six years. I’ve never gotten into the Colbert Report so I only watched a few episodes. Right this moment I watch (and paused) Last Week Tonight with John Oliver of which I watched every single episode.

I’ve also watched the Nightly Show since its inception. And as the article said – it never really clicked with me. Probably because of the many “black” topics which I could not relate to due to being a white European in a white European country where minorities are truly minorities.

But even then many topics (especially when Franchesca Ramsey’s was presenting them) sounded more like first world “problems” than actual problems.

The only person I could really relate to were Ricky Velez – he (at least in my opinion) more than any other of the correspondents took a counter standpoint at the table discussions and dared to disagree with the others.

The rest of the time (except for the “Pardon the Integration” segment) it was a show with one opinion that was re-iterated at nauseam.

• DJ Doena says:

Regarding Daily Show: The thing I enjoyed about Jon Stewart was that he allowed other opinions at least to be heard. He invited Judge Napolitano and Bill O’Reilly.

Trevor Noah unfortunately does not do that. He has a single-track mind and it shows. Even though I can understand all the Trump coverage the show’s been doing. Jon would never have let Hillary away with the stuff she’s been doing. He would have ripped her a new one for the DNCC sabotage of Sanders and the subsequent hiring of the saboteur. Noah simply shrugged and moved on.

• maggie says:

The DNC emails show they discussed sabotaging Bernie, but didn’t do it. They were angry that someone who wasn’t, and still isn’t, a Democrat would run to be the party nominee. Bernie made no secret of the fact that he was only running as a Democrat, and not an Independent, because he wanted access to the Democratic Party infrastructure and donors. That upset people who spent years working to build up that infrastructure and court those donors. So they were mad, and vented in their emails. But, the point is that they didn’t do anything to stop Bernie, nor was Clinton involved in any of this. There is nothing to “rip her a new one” over, regarding Clinton.

• Jason says:

So you as a white person in your own words can’t relate to a “black topic” becasue its black but the rest of the PoC in this world have to relate to “white topics”? do you know how small minded you made yourself sound

• DJ Doena says:

I said I couldn’t get into these topcis because around here cops don’t shoot people (regardless of skin colour) on a daily basis. I also can’t wrap my head around the fact that MLK stood for “not the colour of one’s skin but the content of one’s character” but all US universitys seem to do these days is categorize people by their victim class (gender, skin colour, sexuality) and neatly dividing them up along these lines calling it “safe spaces”.

I never demanded that PoC should be able to relate to “white topics” (are white people in the US even still allowed to have some things of their own or will someone find out how they “culturally appropriated” said thing?)

Anyway, I never counted toward or against the ratings of the show since I’ve been watching it over the internet anyway. So don’t blame me for this cancellation.

• DL says:

Our nation is undergoing a demographic crisis. It’s not anybody’s fault, it’s a consequence of our often bloody racial history, including, obviously, slavery, but also things like McCarthyism and the Japanese internment camps. I’ve heard people claim that these things have nothing to do with the racial divides of today, but the simple, sad truth is that this nation has never really fessed up, or faced up, to its many mistakes.
          This is a country founded on the bones of tens of millions of Native Americans, who were killed by European-brought diseases and then mopped up by the settlers’ descendants. Why don’t we talk about them? Why don’t we talk about the fact that our Founding Fathers were free thinkers and Enlightenment philosophers, not Christian puritans — otherwise we’d have no separation of Church and state. Benjamin Franklin, on our $100 bill, believed in God, but not in a way that corresponded to Christianity. Thomas Jefferson was critical of the Bible, saying that along with its wisdom it contained the “dung” of ancient political agendas. Let us not forget the New Testament was codified by the very human Council of Nicaea, presided over by a still-pagan Roman Emperor Constantine, looking to unite his divided country beneath a single religion.
          Unfortunately, we’ve come to a place in America where sticking hard to ideology seems more important than facts or actually improving things for anyone. Christianity is supposed to be a religion of peace and acceptance, rebelling against the harsh religious orthodoxy of the time. But as has often been the case over Christianity’s bloody history, it is being used to toll alarm bells against the “other” — Muslims, Jews, LGBT individuals, and maddeningly enough, liberals, many of whom are good Christians themselves.
          I won’t deny that FOX News and Roger Ailes played a large part in the devolution of political discourse in the U.S., largely by quite literally reducing the importance of facts. But the Republican party has propagated this by pandering to fringe elements like the Tea Party and hyping up their base against all these perceived foes who are “attacking” their religion. As if other people being free and living normal lives with different personal values somehow harms them directly. As if they should have a right to control others’ lives based on their religious doctrine, despite Constitutional and separation of Church and state. It flabbergasts me to hear people like Ted Cruz talk about adhering to the Constitution while seeking to diminish the rights of certain demographics.
          And I’m extremely saddened to see Republicans distancing themselves from Trump, while remaining in denial that it’s a mess of their own making. Continuing to preach hard right religious values as somehow representative of the Founding Fathers and the U.S. Constitution when they are in fact anathema to its very principles.

• Angela says:

@DL: Awesome post. Perfectly stated.
            As for Larry Wilmore’s show, I’m sad to hear it’s been cancelled, as I’d been enjoying it. Wishing Larry luck in any future endeavors, and hopefully he’ll be able to find another place to share his commentary and insight.

• maggie says:

Well said, DL

• Pennington says:

Same old crap. Get on with your life and stop finding excuses for black failure. Funny, there’s no such thing as a “white” person. Every “white” person has a culture that they’ve left behind to become an American. European Americans built this country and will ALWAYS be the decision makers. Obama was a test. Now we know — even the most educated bi-racial man can’t run anything. It won’t happen again. Period.

This racist piece of garage deserved to be cancelled a LONG TIME AGO. Good riddens.

• dman6015 says:

DL – Excellent post.

Pennington – Kind of hard to run anything as President when you have the opposite, controlling party in Congress always saying “No” to whatever you want to do for the country. The guy can’t even get a Supreme Court nominee a fair hearing because the almighty GOP has decided that the President isn’t allowed to nominate someone almost a full year before leaving office. Mitch McConnell declared Obama a lame duck BEFORE his first inauguration.

• Sheepister says:

No, you idiot. A topic doesn’t have to be ‘white’ or ‘black.’ I remember watching the Nightly Show when it played right after the Daily Show, and it literally just covered all the same topics except it made it more about race. It was boring, and this grown man tries way too hard to appeal to black teenagers (one of the episodes he yelled ‘YAAAAAS QUEEN’). It’s not funny, it’s just cringy and bad. I can’t believe it took this long for it to get cancelled.

5. 2016 man says:

I haven’t been watching either show on a regular basis since Stewart and Colbert left, but on average I thought Larry Wilmore actually was funnier and edgier than Trevor Noah. But Comedy Central never should have let John Oliver and Sam Bee out of the house.

• jph_gsg says:

Bingo. How they let Oliver go so shortly before Stewart’s retirement is the one that really gets me. Should have planned better, especially considering how well Oliver did filling in at the desk while Stewart was off directing his movie. With Sam Bee, though, wasn’t she still on The Daily Show when Larry Wilmore got the 11:30 slot?

• Pat says:

Could not agree more. Biggest mistake Comedy Central ever did was letting John Oliver go but their biggest, biggest mistake was most definitely letting Samatha Bee go.Her show Full Frontal is hysterical.

• TJ. Church says:

She has her moments (most of them aired in commercials for the show, like during last night’s “Conan”), but she was better as a correspondent than a full-time host for a show.

The big mistakes were letting people like Oliver go, but an equal-size mistake was letting any of the vast majority of “Daily Show” correspondents (Wilmore, Samantha, Trevor, etc.) host a show themselves.

6. Mark says:

What will they put in its place? @Midnight, until they find something permanent, or just keep Hardwick in that spot and call it a day?

7. Lauren says:

WHAAAT. I guess I had no info about the ratings but I’m shocked. I love his show and it has gotten so much attention from critics, I would have thought they would have given it more time.

8. Lauren says:

Ugh and he’s so much better than Trevor Noah. That is the dude that I just don’t click with.

9. mary moore says:

Sorry to hear this. Enjoyed their different views and really quite funny. Please reconsider

10. Walkie says:

Have to be able to get the ratings. You can’t lose half of the audience of our predecessor and be shocked when you get canceled. Comedy Central gave the show plenty of time to work and it didn’t.

11. Kevin K says:

Disappointed The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore got cancelled by Comedy Central. At least they didn’t KEEP IT 100 :-(

12. iHeart says:

so basically they cancelled Colbert’s replacement?

13. Cheryl LaMaster says:

This is so wrong!

14. Comedy Central and CBS should team up at 11:30 and work together. Stephen Colbert continues to host The Late Show while “Stephen Colbert” brings The Colbert Report back. You have an 11:45 segment where on a split screen they both take shots at each other.

I think it’s the perfect thing to get viewers in both time slots. Let Stephen have a more mainstream show on CBS that appeals to a broader and wider audience, but also let fans not feel like he sold out and for a few months until the election you bring The Colbert Report back.

15. I felt like the show was too race based. Every episode felt like he was complaining how the white people had all the money and are racists and the black people are suffering. Building a show around white guilt is not the way to go. Its possible to be funny and have a balanced show. It felt like every show was talking about inequality and racism it was a real bummer.
    I have no problem with Shows that are run by blacks. I enjoy and watch Blackish, The Carmichael Show and even gave this show a fair shake but it was very redundant and very negative.

• Ronnie Brown says:

well, if I was white and I was reminded on a daily basis that “white people have all the money and are racist and the Black people are suffering” and that “inequality and racism are a real bummer”, I wouldn’t want to watch it too often either.

real life is like that…a bummer.

• Nobody Cares says:

Well said!

• jcfabing says:

How does it feel, being obsessed with your hatred of 70% of the country? Does it make you feel good to blame all your shortcomings on them?

• jb says:

Lots of poor white people in america. The 1 percent look on the trailer trash white guy the same as they do the inner city minorities.

• Matt Turner says:

Ronnie is right on! Who wants to hear the plight of the underprivileged? We want them to entertain us white folks, we don’t want them to inform us about what is going on in their Daily “routine” life. None of my friends have recently been shot, while unarmed.

• Matt Turner says:

Not to sound biased, with all due respect Mr Friedman. I enjoy Jewish comedy, not all those weepy, honest holocaust, “we are the victims!” themed shows and movies.

16. Thanks to Donald Trump making America meaner see comments below we don’t have enough angry conservatives on social media to deal with

17. jph_gsg says:

Waiting till next year to find a replacement… Comedy Central is probably hoping that Colbert’s ratings continue to dip and they can bring him back for 11:00, shift Trevor Noah to 11:30 (or dump him completely).

18. William G. Jochimsen says:

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving individual. He just wasn’t funny.

• Preacher Book says:

He was funny. And intelligent. You suh are a cretin.

• c-mo says:

And you sir, are a bully. Mr. Jochimsen was providing his opinion which happens to be different than yours, that is not a reason to call him names. Differing opinions make for a more colorful world, both literal and figurative, as long as everyone remembers the single rule, respect.

19. j says:

Fine. He was trying way too hard to be Bill Maher. Now, PLEASE give that time slot to Jessica Williams.

20. Greg Cantin says:

I watched Larry for the first couple of months but my interest just waned.

I have just stopped watching Tevor as he is just too much in Hillary’s pocket. Sad for both that they can’t take a more neutral view. Buh-bye!

21. btm says:

In a TV landscape that is characterized by many niche programming options, there is a place for a show marketed almost exclusively to African Americans, regarding issues of the greatest importance to African Americans, hosted by an African American comedian of great repute. Yet it was Wilmore’s great misfortune for this show to replace one of the network’s two great cash cows in the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. In retrospect, going niche was a poor choice to try and limit Comedy Central’s ratings decline.
    Whatever followed in the wake of Stewart/Colbert was always going to need to make money. A show that doesn’t cast a wider net as far as the potential audience is concerned is going to struggle with ratings. Both Noah and Wilmore received some time to mature their shows, because there was inevitably going to be a drop after Stewart and Colbert departed. You need time to figure out whether their successors can build up their own independent audiences and grow their shows. A year and a half seems like a reasonable amount of time, and Wilmore’s core audience never materialized.
    I actually believe Wilmore is a strong comedian, and I appreciate his sardonic tone mixed with righteousness when the occasion calls for it. Many of the issues he discussed were incredibly poignant. One of his early panel segments on Black fatherhood in America was excellent. I consider him to be a stronger comedian and far more comfortable mixing serious commentary with parody than is Trevor Noah. Yet there is no question that Wilmore was an African American host doing a show about African American issues. That is probably only going to appeal on a consistent basis with African American audiences after a while. I do believe that White audiences will watch minority hosts, but they don’t stick around for very long if the subject matter is not broadly inclusive of issues relevant to all races.
    I feel that the Nightly Show didn’t try very hard to appeal to White audiences, doubling down on minority outreach instead. That is a strategy that can work, sometimes, but not enough African Americans tuned in. That probably sealed the show’s fate. It may not have resonated enough enough with its target African American audience; the show certainly did little to appeal to other ethnic groups.
    There may be a market for Wilmore to do his show in a BET or Bounce environment, where the ratings would not be cause for panic and it would be right in the wheelhouse of programming on those networks. it’s a unique show and it would be encouraging to see it live on with some other network, or at least a close facsimile.

• JVee says:

A very fair and cogent comment (which I largely agree with so I guess that makes me fair and cogent, too, lol)…I am a white woman and I found this show interesting, compelling, and funny. (VERY SORRY TO SEE IT GO!) There’s a lot of racism left in our world, and I certainly wasn’t bothered by the fact that the show focused on that. I’m sorry it didn’t find the numbers Comedy Central was looking for. Perhaps it’s that they didn’t come out of the gates at top performance and people gave up on them. I stuck around and felt they’d found their groove. Following the Colbert Report was a tough one – it’s even been tough for Stephen Colbert!

• Mehvash says:

This commentary is excellent except I think that Wilmore and Noah have both appealed to me and i’m not African American, but a Person of Color. I think what Wilmore and Noah have done that you don’t get anywhere else is that they have opened the door for all minorities to open their eyes to the discrimination that continues to happen regularly. I’m sad to see Wilmore go because while i didn’t catch his show all the time, when i did catch it, i enjoyed the commentary. It would be a shame to find him on an even more niche cable channel because i think he has a lot to offer to a bigger population.

22. jessy says:

NOOOOOOOOO, Larry don’t go!

23. KatsMom says:

The husband and I started watching Larry when the show debuted. After awhile, he started demanding that I change the channel. He just found the show frustrating in that so many times the would broach a complicated topic and then just barely scratch the surface or ignore some rather important nuances for the sake of drawing a more simplistic conclusion than really could have/should have been made. Lately, I’ve been slow to switch though and I’ve found Larry’s had more of an “F it all” attitude, which was refreshing and bold. I was actually thinking that he may have found his groove and it would be worth checking him out again. Guess that’s not going to happen now….

24. Susannah says:

I hope this means he’ll go back to Black-ish as a writer and producer. I think the show was better during the first episodes when he was part of the team.

25. William G. Jochimsen says:

Too bad that Trevor Noah and Larry Wilmore couldn’t be “let go” at the same time. They simply were not funny. So anxious to push their really liberal ideology there was just no room for humor. Reminds me of Air America that also failed because they were so far left there was no room for humor.

26. jj says:

I’m a conservative that can appreciate comedy across the political platforms without throwing things. I like Larry, and gave the show every chance, but I just drifted away because it wasn’t consistently funny. The panel often lagged, but I really liked it sometimes, and the general concept. He lost his killer lead in too. Larry will continue to be successful, and I look forward to his entertaining commentary in a different venue soon. Good Luck Sir!

27. Luis says:

I am deeply saddened by this news, because Larry specifically brought a different viewpoint than anyone else in late night comedy. He has one of the most diverse lineups of performers in late night, and has brought guests from many different portions of the entertainment and political spectrum. he just had Gary Johnson on his show, for God’s sake.
    I understand the direct way Larry approached racial issues may not have been everyone’s cup of tea, and the extended portions of panel discussion were unique for a comedy show. I definitely feel as though “The Nightly Show” contributed something unique to the late night universe that I, at least, will miss

28. CryoGen says:

Would not be surprised at all to see this time slot given to Nikki Glazer, who has been getting more political in her Unsafe show on CS.

29. JM Schmidt says:

As a white woman who is sixty-four years-old, admittedly not Comedy Central’s target audience, I need to chime in to say that Larry Wilmore definitely “clicked” for me. I have enjoyed his show far more than I expected to when Colbert left. We need a voice like Larry’s to speak honestly on late night television. I will miss him and all his cast of wonderful comedians: Mike Yard, Rory, Ricky, Holly, Grace, Robin, and Franchesca. Larry made his show one where there was comedy, but also honest conversation. He kept it 100. He will be missed.

• TV Gord says:

In lieu of a “Like” button, I will just nod enthusiastically as I re-read your comment! (I’m a 52-year-old male…and a Canadian, t’boot!)

• Indi says:

Very much agree with both posts. I am a white woman, early 50s, and very much appreciated Larry’s style of humor. I actually found him preferable to Noah. However, replacing Stewart and Colbert is a big orderoll that few can fill

• TJ. Church says:

I keep telling myself this is why Comedy Central made the decisions they have so far: Wilmore was cancelled due to being far better than Stephen was on “The Report”, whereas they couldn’t find someone better than Jon for “Daily Show”, so they got someone who was perhaps the worst possible option.

30. Stanislava says:

I’m seriously so upset about this…..I love everybody on this show…

31. TOB says:

Comedy Central’s reasoning is “weak tea”. Wilmore brings in half of what Colbert did in large part because he no longer has Jon Stewart as a lead-in. When Stewart left, a lot of talent (Samantha Bee, Jason Jones, etc…) moved on as well. Trevor just doesn’t have the chops yet to go toe-to-toe with the heavyweights, and the correspondents (except for Jessica Williams, who bailed) seem to be dug up from a frat house. Larry Wilmore brought a fresh perspective that is underrepresented in media. I hope he finds a place at a better network.

32. paula says:

That stinks! I love this show. Great commentary and discussion, a different perspective on social and political issues, and very funny! They could at least let him stay until they find a replacement.

33. Preacher Book says:

WTF?!?!?!?!?

Larry was great with really good comedy, insightful commentary and very entertaining line-up. How long did they give Colbert to build his brand? And how about Noah???

Very short-sighted.

34. Zoe says:

What the HELL?! NO! This cannot stand!

35. Laura Markl says:

The only time I watch Comedy Central is if there is a movie worth watching.

36. Big Cheddar says:

That’s a bummer… I mean, they couldn’t keep him on the air until the end of the year? I wonder if there was an underlying expectation that Jon Stewart would be more involved in the show or that there would be more crossover between TDS and TNS and neither happened.

37. Quinn says:

Well that sucks. Larry’s commentary was funny and spot on. I’ll miss this show.

38. Daniel snow says:

Lol

39. So the one guy in late night with a different point of view and is not just focusing on the newest shiniest of news stories, but reminding us of stuff we shouldn’t be forgetting gets canceled.

40. Miss Audrey says:

As a old white person with no African-American friends I really enjoyed hearing what Larry and the others had to say about current events and politics. How will we ever learn if we only listen to people just like ourselves? Plus often The Nightly Show is clever and funny. No more Unblackening?

I’ll miss ya, Lar’! (sad face)

41. PatriciaLee says:

My ninety year old mother is heartbroken. She loved the show with Larry. A hint to Larry: the younger demo does not care about social [studies] whatever. About ten years ago, a school teacher that taught social studies to special education kids at a large middle school, told me that the whole school took her class because they were all flunking the subject. Hmmm…those kids today would be about 23.

42. Gern Blanston says:

I wanted to like the show as I like Wilmore, but just could never get into it. Apparently I only like him in small doses. Not really sad to see it go like I was when Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell was cancelled.

43. Bleacher Stonerson says:

I love this show, not just because of politics, because it’s one of the best comedy shows on t.v. The sad variable about this is that Viacom could have helped promote the show, but nowhere during it’s programming do you see adverts for it. They still run none stop ads for South Park and crappy censored versions of grade B comedy movies that were one time viewers. I think he would do best on HBO , or pay cable like John Oliver and Bill Maher. Maher was fired from Comedy Central for the same reason 20 years ago, Then fired from ABC, I think Getting away from the corporate influence of standard cable programming helped his career and I think Wilmore will have the same road of successes ahead.

• PatriciaLee says:

The ninety year old mother loves Bill Maher, too. The husband and I only get HBO so she can watch him. You might be right. Larry Wilmore’s brand should do well on HBO.

• Ellen Yarbrough says:

Larry Wilmore would be GREAT on HBO. You know he’s just holding back. I love the NIghtly Show. It really makes me laugh…on purpose. And I like his viewpoint. So sad….

44. TJ. Church says:

SHOCKED! Watched Larry with Bernie Sanders a while back, & Mike Birbiglia on Trevor Noah last week… Walked away downloading the “Nightly” episode to watch again, but asking (& tweeting) the question why Mike wasn’t hosting the show instead of Trevor? (Or Jon, now that he’s back at Colbert’s new desk so often?!)

45. peterwdawson says:

That’s a shame. Then again the show struggled with the format a bit basically since the getgo.

46. lunabranwen3 says:

This is outrageous, Comedy Central; what are you thinking? And, right before a presidential election when we need this kind of sincerely satirical analysis and commentary, and Larry Wilmore and all of the correspondents who added so much to each program. Seriously, ratings not good enough, or just too much truth told by too many smart people? What a mistake; a very sad mistake.

47. Robert says:

I liked Larry as a Daily Show correspondent and I wanted to like the Nightly Show. But I gave it up when too many times Larry wouldn’t ‘keep it 100’ himself when answering the question of the night.

48. dman6015 says:

Wilmore’s show was canceled because the CC execs believe he’s too old for the demographic they are after (Millennials). So charge them with ageism, not racism. They claim that they have every intention of keeping Noah on The Daily Show because he appeals to Millennials.

49. joe begiblio says:

People expect comedy when they turn on “Comedy Central”. Whatever the politics, if you can’t make it funny, you’ll get moved aside for someone who can.

• TJ. Church says:

I see irony (a form of comedy) with your name & comment… What should happen if you are right (or the network has a working brain) is Larry’s predecessor on every night, Trevor Noah, get moved aside for the much-funnier Mike Birbiglia (who proved on a recent episode of Trevor’s show to be far funnier than the person he was sitting beside).

50. Younger says:

Sad to hear this. This white 65 year old watched every episode. You gave up too soon ComCen!