Girl Meets World Wedding

Girl Meets World Star Previews Wedding Day Surprises for Shawn and Katy

It’s hard to believe that, nearly 23 years after we met him, Shawn Hunter is swapping “I do”s with the love of his life on Friday’s Girl Meets World (Disney Channel, 8:30/7:30c). Heck, even his bride-to-be is struggling to wrap her head around the momentous occasion.

“I was a ’90s kid, so I grew up watching Boy Meets World,” Cheryl Texiera, who plays Katy Hart Hunter, tells TVLine. “When I found out that Katy was going to be marrying Shawn, I called my brother — who’s a year and a half younger than me — and he freaked out. He was like, ‘Cheryl, imagine if someone walked into our living room in 1993 and was like, ‘Hey, by the way…’ and that really gave me some perspective.”

Below, Texiera discusses the highly anticipated GMW event — and how it might not go exactly according to plan.

TVLINE | Since you grew up watching the show, you must know that Shawn Hunter was every ’90s girl’s crush. How does it feel to be playing the character who finally lands him?
Oh, it’s so much fun. I love, love, love playing Katy. She’s just such a fun, quirky, sweet, caring character. And I love the relationship between her and Shawn, because I feel like she brings out the silliness in him. Working opposite Rider Strong is also so easy; he’s always down to try whatever, which is awesome.

TVLINE | We’ve seen photos and clips, but since you were actually there, can you describe the feel of the wedding?
It’s so special. … Oh my gosh, how many episodes of this show have been “special”? [Laughs] Having Bill Daniels come back and play Feeny again, to marry Shawn and Katy — on what other show have they done something like that? … Personally, I love watching the scenes between Shawn and Cory. I feel like their dynamic and chemistry hasn’t changed.

TVLINE | This might be a weird question, but did it almost feel like a real wedding?
Well, Michael Jacobs was behind this, and he’s all about truth and honesty and realness of every moment, so there were certainly were moments that felt like a wedding was actually happening. It’s funny, you have the characters who are in the show watching the episode, but you also have this whole crew who’s watching you say your vows. You really feel on display, which I guess you would feel at your wedding.

TVLINE | Does Katy have any bridezilla-type moments?
[Laughs] No bridezilla moments, but there’s a bit of a freakout as to how everything goes down and how the wedding ends up happening — when things actually happen. It takes her by surprise, and she thinks, “I don’t know if I’m prepared.”

TVLINE | This being Girl Meets World, I imagine Riley and Maya will play a pretty big role in the festivities?
I feel like Maya is actually the catapult to kind of fire it off. She really gets things going and sort of jump starts everything.

Your thoughts on Shawn and Katy’s impending nuptials? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. I’m confused. Why are you posting an article about last week’s article today?

2. Lola says:

Yes let’s marry a beloved BMW character to a barely there mother of the show’s favorite child. Let’s marry Shawn to Katy despite never actually seeing the relationship develop organically. Let’s marry them when we barely saw a relationship just to give show sucker Maya a perfect family. I’m so disappointed.

• Amanda says:

I would agree if this wasn’t Disney. I think the main premise is that Shawn and Katy aren’t meant to be seen like Cory and Topanga, but by doing this, it gives Shawn the opportunity to be around and it not look creepy. I doubt if we ever really see them together for the rest of the season, but don’t be surprise if Katy gets pregnant before the season ends and then that will have Maya thinking that she’ll be the oddball out since Shawn isn’t her bio-dad and then he will adopt her. Why?, because it’s Disney and that’s how ALL Disney shows go!

• Asia says:

I call it bad writing. You’re supposed to show not tell (I think the writing has failed on both points). I love Shawn but this wedding is a joke. This story line is not even about him. The writers didn’t pair Katy and Shawn together because they’re good for one another and they have amazing potential as a couple. They put them together solely for Maya. The writers couldn’t even be bothered to have Maya or the others occasionally comment on Shawn and Katy’s progressing relationship. They’re relationship was nonexistent until “Upstate”.

• MangoMagic says:

“Show sucker Maya” made me laugh more than it should have. Probably because it’s true. I understand the show is called “Girl Meets World” but more often than not the “girl” in question is Maya and her truckload of contrived baggage. :/ And I say all of this as someone who likes the character and the actress. GMW is good but I wish the show would move elsewhere so the writers would have the room to flesh out storylines maturely instead of catering to Disney’s rose-colored kiddie glasses. On another network, I doubt we would’ve seen Maya’s daddy/family issues resolved so neatly so quickly.

3. JT says:

i’m so happy for the characters and i’m so excited for this episode! but i still wish we’d been able to actually see shawn and katy’s develop more, rather than just be told about it. i understand the constraints due to rider not wanting to act too much on the show and the fact that this is meant to be more about riley and the gang rather than the adults, but it would have been nice to have maybe even a few mentions sprinkled throughout.

4. WILLIAM EX says:

Well, i am excited but as mentioned before, i would liked to have seen something, anything leading up to this moment. Just do not show a baby in 3 weeks!

5. datdudemurphy says:

It was a nice episode.
    Very much in line with the rest of the series.

The show isn’t about Shawn and Katy….that’s why they didn’t show their dating process.
    Heck, I think we’ve only seen Maya’s home once or twice in the 3 seasons.
    The show is about the girls and their friends. The adults are secondary characters.
    That’s why even the wedding has a focus on Maya and how she feels about it.

• WILLIAM EX says:

yes, i agree but a little continuity would be in order.

• datdudemurphy says:

with the exception of this season, Disney has been airing the episodes out of order….
        But this season, I’ve seen no problem with the continuity.

I don’t know, maybe I’m too forgiving of a show for kids.

6. Disappointed says:

Shawn character should be marrying ‘Angela’. Point blank period.

7. steven B schooler says:

I have seen girl meets i do on you tube and it was great these shows are getting better

8. Mara tanner says:

I am very proud of them to have there true love put it together there like perfect love Togther.

9. Guest says:

As someone who grew up with BMW, I feel like GMW has ruined BMW characters. Nothing they do not makes sense (aside form Topanga). In the old show Finey has a way better handle on his class… Idk… I kind of wish they would have left well enough alone…

• WILLIAM EX says:

WELL it is a new generation. look at the school systems of today. they suck. much different from when i was i school. same with my daughters and granddaughters.
      we have become uneducated compared to, say, europe. sad but true.

10. Holly says:

I love this show. I have been waiting for Shawn to get married for a while so when I saw this I was so happy. I am glad he landed with a funny and quirky character like himself. It only adds to the greatness of this show. Maya did a great job helping things go smoothly and of course feeny being there tops it off.what a great episode.

11. steven B schooler says:

I think it was excellent with the problems that shawn had with girls in his past he matured enough to this we need too see him more with katy and maya