Girl Meets World Recap

Girl Meets World Recap: Did Shawn and Katy's Wedding Go Off Without a Hitch?

Shawn and Katy’s big day arrived sooner than expected on Friday’s Girl Meets World, but don’t worry, Maya already had something blue prepared: herself!

With memories of her mother’s previous romantic tragedies dancing in her head, Maya spent most of the (very special) episode trying to stop the wedding. To sum up her concerns in one quote: “What if my mother has some sort of nut gene that, in combination with any man at all, makes him go from ‘I do’ to ‘What’d I do?'”

(In Maya’s defense, I also have a few concerns about Katy and Shawn’s arrangement, the least of which being where they’re going to live. Is Shawn going to move to the city? Is Katy going to move upstate with Maya? Somehow I don’t see either of those things happening. — at least not smoothly.)

Girl Meets World WeddingBut marry they did, following a heart-to-heart between Shawn and Maya in which the phrase “This wedding ain’t about you” was tossed around. (Ouch?) And it was a beautiful ceremony, complete with a woodwind soundtrack, surprisingly eloquent vows and a special visit from none other than Mr. Feeny!

Speaking of Feeny, Auggie’s “I think he’s my grandfather” line might have been my favorite moment in Girl Meets World history. If Disney Channel foolishly decides not to renew the show for a fourth season, at least we had that.

Your take on GMW‘s big wedding episode? Did you even notice that the guys — Lucas, Farkle, etc. — were missing? Drop a comment with all of your thoughts below.

1. Ralph says:

Perfection. Disney you MUST keep this show going.

2. datdudemurphy says:

They did a great job.
    Cory and Shawn are still great together….the pillow fight looked like it had to have been unscripted. Just the two of them having fun.

No complaints…
    Always happy to see Feeny

3. Becky says:

It was lovely! I loved all of Shawn and Cory’s scenes, and I have to admit I teared up a bit during the whole “will I be a good wife/husband?” part and their vows. It gave me the warm fuzzies to see my fictional childhood crush happy as a grown up. I also really enjoyed Sabrina Carpenter’s performance during her nighttime “discussion” with Riley. I hope Disney gives this show the Season 4 they rightfully deserve.

4. A. D. says:

Perfect Show…loved every second…RENEW GMW!

5. Jake L. says:

Where was Shawn’s HALF-BROTHER Jack? Where was Mr. Turner? Where were Amy and Alan? All three of these people have been important to Shawn’s life as surrogate parents, and all three of them have been on GMW before. Mr. Turner is even local to New York since he is the superintendent of the school district where Cory teaches, and it seems odd that Mr. Feeny can come all the way from out-of-town but Amy and Alan wouldn’t come with him.

Otherwise…this was very good.

6. Joey Padron says:

Really good episode. Love seeing Cory and Shawn together again. Glad Shawn found the women he’ll spend the rest of his life with Katy. Good to see Mr.Feeny again. Hope the show will get renewed for season 4!

7. Eric says:

I’ve been watching this show since the beginning, but it was this episode in particular which cemented how special these characters have become to me. And not just the characters I’ve loved since childhood; I’ve become invested in their children’s storylines as well. I really hope that Disney chooses to pick it up for another season, or even let it run a few more seasons on Freeform so that it can follow them to college and explore the more mature topics associated with growing up that may be too taboo for a kids’ channel.

8. Penny says:

Boo!!! Shawn us supposed to be with Angela!

9. David Landry says:

Continue girl meets world and I’d be nice to bring the seasons already completed to dvd so we can add them next to the orginal boy meets world dvd collection set. If Disney cancels it which I hope they don’t cancel it see if they can transfer it to free-form war was ABC family to continue the series stories and develop but bring the seasons already finished to dvd.

10. Boy who still hasn't met world says:

I cried hard. I grew up with these characters. This felt like a very special reunion episode of Boy Meets World. I guess this means Ryder Strong is now part of the recurring cast?

11. smarty says:

I find the episode was extremely connected even though I anticipated seeing more BMW characters. It was all about Shawn’s growth from an immature young boy to a mature man open to love and all its possibilities. It was also about Maya and Riley, no longer little girls, becoming women who see that there is more to life than fun and games. Still GMW and BMW is always about family in whatever form it takes. I did miss not seeing the boys.

12. A says:

Feeney is my favorite TV character of all time. It was wonderful because Feeney. More Feeney! This better be renewed or there will be hell to pay!

13. DT says:

Am I the only one who thinks that Feeny was present in this episode via a green screen? Watching the episode his lighting was off compared to the other actors and at times even though he was at the center of the scene he appeared blurry and out of focus. He also didn’t walk back down the aisle with everyone after the ceremony concluded.

Maybe my eyes were just playing tricks on me, who knows?!

14. Jason says:

Still not really feeling the connection between Shawn and Katy. Maybe because all we saw of their relationship is pretty much her him asking her out and then him asking her to marry him. Feels a little forced in order to give Maya a father figure and Shawn a daughter figure.

15. Tariq lee says:

I think they should wait for a little bit

16. Stacy says:

I died when Auggie said “I think he’s my grandfather”. He delivered it so perfectly too :)

17. Mandy says:

I noticed Lucas and Farkle missing but I felt it was better that way. I actually loved this episode, Maya’s fears were realistic and I always love Cory and Shawn’s friendship, nothing has changed between these two. Cory giving both Shawn and Katy away was very sweet.