Thomas Gibson Fired

Report: Thomas Gibson Suspended From Criminal Minds In Wake of Physical Altercation With Producer

Criminal Minds star Thomas Gibson has reportedly been suspended from the long-running CBS procedural for one, possibly two episodes in the wake of a physical altercation with one of the show’s producers.

According to a report by TMZ, and confirmed by our sister site Deadline, Gibson got into argument with an unnamed producer and kicked the individual in the leg.

In a statement to TMZ, Gibson said, “There were creative differences on the set and a disagreement. I regret that it occurred. We all want to work together as a team to make the best show possible. We always have and always will.”

Per Deadline, Gibson’s future with the show as a whole is under review following the incident.

Criminal Minds is currently in production on the fourth episode of Season 12.

Back in 2013, CBS dealt with a similar matter at CSI when co-star George Eads got into an on-set altercation with a writer. The actor was subsequently written off the series for several episodes.

Criminal Minds‘ 12th season is set to premiere on Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 9/8c.

1. Sammy says:

That’s sad… I hope they don’t fire him. Thomas Gibson has been amazing on the show.

• Brooke says:

If he doesn’t want to be fired, maybe he should not physically assault his coworkers.

• Tj says:

True. But there are two sides to every story, I can’t imagine he kicked him for no reason, must have been pretty heated for it to go that far. Thimas Gibson is a relatively calm guy.

• …or maybe he just plays one on TV.

• Christy says:

No, you don’t blame assault victims for being assaulted. I like the actor too but no matter what the producer said, attacking someone at work is *not okay*.

• dan says:

Yes, you can certainly blame “victims” for making it easier for other people to lose their minds. If we lived in a dreamworld, that wouldn’t make sense and you’d be totally right and I would love that. But it’s the real world, it’s real humans with varying degrees of patience and selfishness, so yes, many times the so-called “victims” are actually to blame for starting conflicts. And I can totally see an arrogant producer getting his share.

• Mary says:

Still doesn’t justify physical violence, no matter if he was provoke or not. Sometimes it is wise to take a step back and count to 10.

• Night Owl says:

No, I don’t believe that the victim can be blamed. Each person is always responsible for their own actions. We ALL face many things that try our patience every day. Unless the victim told him “Ok, you need to kick me now”, the victim did NOT “make you do it”. You are the one that makes the decision on how you will respond. The victim did not make that decision. You can’t control what others do, you can only control what you do.

• Christy says:

I don’t go for the “if you didn’t make me so angry I wouldn’t have hit you” line.

Considering he already went to anger management the first time this happened, he knows he has a problem. It’s up to him to not attack people, it’s not on anyone else to avoid making him mad. He’s not the Hulk.

• David4 says:

If I or you kicked your boss or co-worker you would be fired. There are two sides to every story and no side has the right to kick people!

• Debbie W says:

If this story had been about a producer kicking Thomas Gibson I wonder if you’d feel the same?

• Night Owl says:

I would say the exact same thing, because it doesn’t matter who you are.

• Loretta Wallace says:

Way to go Debbie!

• Jay Effkay says:

If Gibson kicked a white, Jewish male, this wouldn’t have even made the rags. My guess is he kicked a woman, a person of color, or owrst of all, a woman of color, and so he had to go – and in this political climate, I can’t say I blame Erica for sacking him, although I would have just FINED him two episodes money and given it to the victim – money cures most ills, I have found.

• Temperance says:

Nah, I’m sure the ‘producer’ deserved a lot worse. They nearly always do.

• BillyBobJohnson says:

NO SIDE of a story should include a violent reaction. You have no clue how calm Gibson is in real life. You’re assuming based on his TV character. It’s called ACTING.

• Loretta Wallace says:

I agree 100 %. I will no longer watch this show if they follow through with it.

• Tara says:

Hey TJ- Do some research before coming to this guys defense. Thomas Gibson is anything but a “relatively calm guy”. A few years ago he pushed an AD on the show and was forced to take anger management classes. Look it up. Its all over the internet so I highly doubt that this is an isolated incident.

• I am saddened by this. I am a huge fan of Hotch…and the show. I honestly don’t know if I would want to even watch it without him. While, hearing Emily may be back is awesome. I am not condoning what he did, and, it is definitely wrong to put your hands.. (OR,feet), in this matter, whatsoever. I truly hope you decide to keep him on, but, it’s completely understandable that you’re not. Thanks for allowing me to have a say. This show is my, and, many other people’s, favorite show for YEAR’S….with HIM. I know, I, as well as many people I know, will be truly sad to see HIM go. Thanks again for a word. Yay, on Emily!

Stacy G

2. hello says:

Damn, that sucks. Hope he doesn’t get fired

3. M says:

I quest I won’t be watching criminal minds for those two episodes

4. patricia says:

Lol. Grown man kicking someone. Just ridiculous.

5. Daniel snow says:

He kicked him in the leg. A kick? OK LOL
    That seems like something a little kid would do. A kick!!!! Lol

• patricia says:

That’s what I said.Grown*** man kicking someone

• tannerose5 says:

I teach elementary school, and would expect to see something like this on the playground. Grown men having an argument? Usually someone punches someone, not sissy kicks. Take away recess, make him write an apology, shake hands. Move on.
        As for getting tired of each other, Law and Order have been on for years. The cast changes, but the show is still good. I will watch CM as long as it stays on the air..

• BillyBobJohnson says:

He probably kicked him in the a**, but they don’t want to embarrass the producer.

6. Tammy says:

Was it a producer or a writer? I heard both versions.

• Sandy says:

Writers often are producers.Especially on long running shows.

• Simon Jester says:

And why on earth would it matter? If he kicked the caterer it would *still* be wrong.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

If it was the producer, he or she is most often a creator of the show… an ‘owner’ of the show (boss); if a writer, not as much financial clout, just ‘another’ paid worker under salary looking to keep his/her job.

If you kick the boss, you get fired. If you kick a fellow co-worker, they can always say ‘hey, we never liked Jim anyway, so I can see how this might happen’ and move on and forget the whole thing. Just saying.

My guess… the show is very old now, and the actors and writers must be quite tired of one another at this stage of the game. The work days are long, lots of pressure on everyone. Give everyone a warning, dock the pay of the person who did the kicking and tell him he’s fired the next time it happens. I don’t doubt that’s the way we’d handle it here in our office… but you never know.

Now, everyone back to work … and oh by the way, group activity and team building party Friday! Yes, we’re bringing in the pizzas!!!

Yeah team Criminal Minds!!!

7. Donna Salvi says:

Honestly, I’ve been watching this show since the beginning. I think that Gibson could be replaced with the “right” actor and the show would still be successful.

8. DD says:

Creative differences? On Criminal Minds, the show that has basically made the same episode 22 times a season for 11 years now? LOL okay……

9. Angela says:

Dang. That’s not good. Bad move on Gibson’s part. Hopefully they can.figure out a good long-term solution to all of this.

10. notfeelingencouraged says:

Without Hotch there is no Criminal Minds. Maybe it’s time for it to end. I still haven’t watched all of last season. I will, but it’s just not drawing me in like it used to.

11. KLS says:

The show was barely renewed last Spring. Maybe they are changing things up a little which haven’t gone over too well? Just guessing.

• drhenning says:

that is my guess as well.. Maybe they want to go all “Suits” and start dropping curse words all of a sudden and the actor who we have seen on TV for over 20 years on long running shows thought it wasn’t right.

12. Walkie says:

He’s incredibly unlikable.

13. Zach says:

Not the first time this has happened. When Matthew Weiner was a young writer on The Naked Truth, Mark Roberts came into the writers room and literally kicked him in the ass.

14. Kelly says:

Well if they fire him, I guess I can take CM off my dvr and free up some space.

15. Sarah94 says:

I wonder what really happened.. I don’t know him has a person but he always came across has a level headed person to me and I haven’t heard any bad things about his behavior till this incident. If he assaulted someone he should definitely be punished for it but I wonder what caused this conflict.

• Fido says:

“assaulted” ?! – if he took a long run up before punting the person in the leg then sure, call it an assault; but if he just tapped the person, or was aiming for the bin and caught the person by accident then to call THAT an assault would be going a tad overboard.

16. Bhawna says:

That is so Sad. I liked his character on the show. Criminal Minds would never be the same if he is not there.

17. Pau says:

I can’t see them firing Gibson. After all, they hadn’t fired him after his DUI and the catfish incident. I like him as an actor and find him to be a mellow, even funny guy but out of the rest of the cast he’s been the one who’s been involved in some offscreen drama.

18. Barbara Carver says:

No, don’t take him off permanently.

19. mango cherry says:

Double standard. Can’t imagine a female actress getting away with this. The show would have written or killed her character off for being “temperamental” White male actor privileges. How nice!

• jj says:

you can’t claim it’s a double standard based on your speculation. For it to be a double standard, there needs to have been a similar incident in which an actress was actually fired for hitting someone. There are enough issues in the world without making some up.

• mango cherry says:

Typical privilege reply. Defensive and not really seeing the big picture. You tried JJ.

• Nope says:

No, actually, JJ is correct. You can’t claim a SPECULATIVE double standard. Show us an example where a woman did something similar and was fired, or sit down.

• jj says:

The big imaginary picture in your head? Again as I have stated and Nope has also stated, you are dealing with a speculative double standard. Unless there is an incident of an actress having been fired for the same type of behavior, you are not dealing with an actual double standard. Instead, how about I do the opposite. Jeremy Clarkson (a white male) was fired from Top Gear by the BBC for assaulting a producer. Additionally your second comment is also speculative stating that I’m defensive and privileged. You have not idea if I am male or female, or what my ethnicity is, so again you’re dealing with speculations. And it’s not defensive to for me to say let’s deal with actualities instead of your speculations. You haven’t described the big picture you described an imaginary big picture.

20. Mr. Smith says:

Two sides to every story. As long as I can remember, Gibson has always been professional and attempted to make the best possible product. Seeing as the show went considerably down hill near the end of last season, writing-wise, he might have been in the right to dispute the producer. Obviously, not by kicking them in the leg, lest the media questions my motives toward the second amendment.

21. Dianne says:

Replace the producer not the heart of this amazing show. Definitely not a good move.

22. If Hotch is Written off the Show I will not be watching Criminal Minds Ever again. He said he was Sorry and I bet the Producer Deserved it too.

23. Dakota says:

How bad could it been he kicks like a 9 year old girl.

I love his character, he always acts so serious rand that fits his part perfect,
    He apologize don’t suspect him, kick him back if it will make you feel better

24. Andrew Hass says:

Actors and producers probably get into arguments a lot of times i’m sure.However the issue becomes when the fight turns from verbal to physical.Plus i think if the producer had hit Gibson he probably would have been fired and not suspended like Gibson was.Plus this may not be the first Gibson and this producer got into it but the first time it turned physical.I hope Gibson learns he can’t settle things with violence

25. Ange says:

Lets go ahead and blow up the foundation of the show while we are at it. I stopped watching after they killed Haley…that was too brutal for me. I read this was a result of the producer/writer calling his agent. Likened to calling mommy cause someone took your lunch money if you ask me.

26. vdofan says:

An update from TMZ…

Virgil Williams is the writer/co-executive producer who got into it with Gibson when the argument escalated to the point the actor kicked him. But our Gibson sources say Williams escalated the verbal argument by “making a move” toward Gibson in a highly aggressive manner. They say Gibson’s kick was more a reaction to the perceived threat than an aggressive move.

Our sources say Williams lets everyone on the set know … he’s trained as a boxer and does martial arts.

One Gibson source says Williams has a “super-big macho ego.”

27. Lindsey says:

This never happened on Dharma and Greg! lol

28. Captain_McGloo says:

Dharma would not be pleased.

29. Kim R says:

Okay, first, Not Hotch!! And second, a kick in the leg????

30. Seriously? You are paid tens of thousands of dollars an episode and you are kicking people like a pre-schooler? Really? Thomas Gibson needs a huge time-out.

31. Rachie says:

I don’t believe we have the whole story here. Throwing in he kicked the producer get a person to read an article. If Gibson goes, I’ll be done with Criminal Minds. I just can’t believe that he “threw the first punch” here!

32. rachelle says:

I don’t condone violence. I would have to hear both sides of the story. I love watching criminal minds I think that Thomas place a major part and the show would not be the same without him. If he need anger management help him get help don’t just give him the boot give him a chance.
    The actors on screen are awesome together, don’t break up a great team. Love you Thomas

33. ThePenguinKing says:

Somebody’s a Top Gear fan. :D

34. Cynthia Fogt says:

I won’t watch it without him

35. Cheryl says:

That is totally unacceptable behaviour!!!! Certainly it says a lot about his Diva behaviour. Don’t confuse his character on the show with who he really is.

36. arial2 says:

I wouldn’t miss him much. Thank heavens for Joe Mantegna. When I first watched the show, all I could think was “He’s STILL playing Greg! For all the emotional storylines Thomas Gibson’s had, I haven’t seen a different character. On one level, that’s pretty hard to do, between a comedy and a dark drama (think that “wild horses” commercial). On another level, I’m still looking for range. Sorry; No matter how much I wanted to, because I enjoyed his portrayal of Greg, I have never been able to like him in this role.

37. Elaine says:

The show won’t last without him, don’t fire him.

• Amber Simms says:

Please don’t fire him !!!!! The show needs Gibson, CM willnot be the same if he gets fired.Why take something good and throw it down the drain over behind the scene stupid behavior. Fine both of these men for their childess actions and perhaps the will grow up alittle faster, but don’t make the fans and viewers pay for their mistakes.

38. Kathryn Hines says:

Since you fired Thomas Gibson you might as well cancel the show. What he did (if he kicked to struck a person without provocation) was definitely wrong. A two or three show suspension would have been appropriate. But to fire him……what’s the real story? Which top dogs didn’t like him and wanted him out on any reason at all?

Of course once you’ve canceled Criminal Minds you can always replace it with another ‘reality show’ cause it’s not like the networks are already flooded with that trash.

39. Joan Burke says:

With both thomas Gibson and Shemar Moore gone there isn’t any real reason to watch any more Criminal Minds. I have been a loyal viewer since the beginning.

40. chuckles213 says:

Since the show had already scheduled having Hotch going to miss some episodes doing a special assignment for the FBI Director, I bet they now write him off by getting killed on that assignment. Rossi should become the new unit chief, but I also like the idea of bringing Gary Sinise over as the chief. If they should do that, they need to also move Alana De La Garza over and end CMBB. I don’t care about any of the other actors.

41. Wallace b says:

I really don’t think criminal mind will be the same without me Gibson , it is bad and sad for him I believe the cast as well because people get use to to their personalities to the character they be playing and we all get attached to it .from now one I will be done watching criminal mind new episode that mr Gibson won’t be able to display his character .he is my favorite .and I believe a suspension or legally make him pay a fee would have been the best thing to do (my opinion ) neither less I’m done with criminal mind , the producer and cast should find a best way to dealt with their issues without firing the original cast member that play a big role and that love by million Fidel viewers .that is a slap in my danm face .# reinstate Gibson immediately # no one is perfect .

42. William says:

# reinstate Gibson # he is the shOw

43. Tammy Cotherman says:

Don’t know if I can watch it if u keep letting they people go that ,we all have grown to love ❤ and , depend on for our entertainment ! Leave the cast alone !

44. El Cucuy says:

Ya, but did he set it up with a jab?

45. Mandy says:

A grown man getting angry and kicking another person in the leg sound more like a childish temper tantrum. How silly.

46. Wright says:

We have followed the show for years. The group seems to have great chemistry as they work together. I am sorry to see Morgan and “Hotch” leave.

I’m sure there has to be more to this story. I was raised to respect the boss no matter, right or right or wrong. But that was back in the day. I do hope out of respect for the remaining characters, that the show survives, even prospers.

It is going to take a period of adjustment to determine if we continue watching the show.

47. Pauline Ponce says:

I don’t condone violence but my the powers that be can find forgiveness for Thomas. I thought after Paget returning & Adam being included in the series would make things better for another great season. BUT PLEASE don’t let Thomas Gibson go; he’s the only reason I watch Criminal Minds. Let a suspension cost him some money. I just know I won’t be watching CM after “MY HOTCH” is gone. Losing Shermar & now Thomas, “MY HOTCH” is just toooooo muuuccch!!! Please reconsider!!!!

48. Gail Tate says:

Well, I guess they will kill him off so people can think that’s the reason he’s off the show. Well, Criminal Minds was my favorite show, but if Hodges is gone, then I’m done! Regardless of what happened, or how it happened, sit down and reason together and work it out, and move on with the show. Prentice, Derek and Hodges gone, oh come on, there’s something else wrong with that picture! I never believed Prentice and Derek left for the reasons they stated, nope, there’s more to that story too.

49. Carol says:

I’m so sad that the handsome Thomas Gibson won’t be on my most favorite show ever. The show won’t be the same. Now we don’t have sheMar or Thomas. Very sad

50. Richard Faison says:

Really ,this generation sucks and is a bunch of panzys, fire a man for having a fit.and kicking a guy .come on Really where all human and everyone has fits, some worse than others..ok professional misconduct and suspend him without pay or make him go to anger management. Dont fire a man because the writer producer is a panzy and cant take it. Jus sad to see what this generation has come to.
    On my day we woukd have went out side duked it out for a min shook hands and become friends.end of storyjeeze i hatethis panzy generation.
    And im on in my mid 40s. Rant complete