CW More Superhero Shows

CW Boss on Fifth Superhero Night, Supergirl Predictions, Episode Counts, Little Women Status and More

Green Arrow, The Flash, the Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl will not be acquiring another superfriend in the foreseeable future.

“We weren’t expecting to have four [superhero shows] this season,” The CW president Mark Pedowitz told TVLine on Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, referring to the Girl of Steel’s arrival. “Supergirl came thanks to the parent company [CBS] bringing it over to the CW — ‘I said where can I sign up?’ — so at this time, there are no real discussions about any [additional] superhero characters.”

Pedowitz did leave the door open a crack, though, saying that if a peripheral character on an existing series “pops,” you “reexamine the situation. But at this time there are no discussions” — save for the just-announced animated CW seed series Freedom Fighters: The Ray, which in success a la Vixen could result in a live-action version of that yet-to-be-cast character visiting a CW show.

Other topics covered during the CW boss’ TCA appearance:

* UPDATED: Supergirl is back for 23 episodes, The Flash, Arrow and Supernatural all have 22-episode orders, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is back for 13 and Legends Season 2 currently has a 13-episode order which could grow. Returning midseason shows The Originals, The 100 and iZombie will be back for 13 episodes each, while Reign may get as many as 16.

* Asked to justify the renewal of low-rated Reign, Pedowitz said, “I like the idea of three queens.”

* Pedowitz admitted, “We made some mistakes” with Season 1 of Legends of Tomorrow. “We think this year we will correct it.”

* Pedowitz is under no illusion that Supergirl will pull the audience it did on a major broadcast network, but anticipates “it will probably be our No. 1 or No. 2 show” behind The Flash.

* Coming off Rachel Bloom’s TCA Award win, Pedowitz again touted Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Jane the Virgin as “quality programs,” adding that he hopes the former gets a (needed) viewership bump as the result of Netflix catch-ups.

* Asked for the status of the Friday the 13th series the CW had eyeballed as a possible pilot, Pedowitz said, “We are not developing it at this time.” Similarly, the dystopian take on Little Women is not moving forward. A small-screen version of The Notebook, meanwhile, is seeking new writers.

Additionally, a first look poster for Legends of Tomorrow‘s Vixen aka Amaya Jiwe (played by Maisie Richardson-Sellers) was released prior to The CW’s TCA arrival:

Legends-of-tomorrow-vixen

1. Bella says:

Dystopian Little Women was a completely ridiculous idea. Yes, it was set in wartime. People died. But that story is about as sweet as anything can be.

2. Leah says:

How many episodes is the vampire diaries getting?!?!?

3. Shaun says:

I lament The 100 and Izombie only getting 13 eps while travesties like Arrow get 22 which is way too much for them.

4. Ded says:

I hope someone will develop for TV a “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” series. For some strange reason I really liked the movie, thought it was fun and would have played better as a TV program. Just my opinion.

5. Steven says:

How many episodes for Jane the Virgin?

6. purpleslog says:

I wouldn’t mind a Dick Grayson Series: S1 as a post-Batman Robin; S2 Nightwing; S3 Nightwing+Titans; S4: Secret agent; S5 Nightwing+Oracle/BirdsofPrey; S6 as temp Batman+BandOfRobins+ Batman Inc ending with Nightwing+BatGirl.

7. Jeanna says:

I also wish The 100 and iZombie had 22 episodes. Great shows. It’s a shame the CW couldn’t do Constantine on Fridays or Saturdays. Love Matt Ryan – plus Angelica Celaya killed it as Zed. Wish they could bring her back as a guest star on the other shows at least!

• Daniel says:

You don’t want 22 episodes of the 100. That’s too much for such a good show. Now I dont know why they won’t give them the Reign option of 15-16… No one watches that show.

8. maltru says:

I love iZombie; I’m thankful for a third season, but a measly 13 episodes is not enough! (Of course, I probably would want more even with a full 22 episode season, because it’s just that good!)

• Teresa says:

While I too want more izombie episodes, I think that the show benefits from a shorter episode order. It eliminates the need to have filler episodes just to extend the storyline for the whole season, which both Arrow and The Flash suffer from. It allows the writers to focus on the story they want to tell instead of worrying if they have enough material to cover a 22 episode season. That’s just my opinion.

• Sara says:

Agreed. Last season had such efficient story telling. So much happened each episode and it really felt like every episode was important to the larger plot in some way.

A shorter episode order allowed them to be lean with their storytelling, and it paid off tremendously.

9. bluji says:

Sad to hear about iZombie only getting 13 eps for season 3, it’s been amazing so far and a longer season 2 helped it in regards of storybuilding. Also, LoT getting only 13 eps (so far) is a bit bizarre — if they are truly trying to fix the issue season one had (which I personally interpreted as episodes being too far apart in storytelling), something such large-scale as Legion of Doom (considering how that has to be set up, progressed and of course dealt with) combined with fewer episodes could end up a disaster.

10. Rahajicho says:

I prefer 13-episode shows, their stories tend to be more concise and compelling, so I’m glad for iZombie and Legends.

11. Butch says:

Two more episodes of Supergirl and one less episode of Flash and Green Arrow this season compared to last season. Not happy about about the episode reductions fr Flash and Green Arrow. It means another week of reruns in season so they have episodes in May. There are already too many long breaks in season.

• They are starting their season(s) much later this year, so hopefully that means less reruns.

• HouseofEl says:

Stop calling it Green Arrow, its called Error

• Sam says:

Agreed means one more week of reruns and no new episodes *sigh*

Unless they air 8 episodes till xmas and not 9. Since Supergirl starts a week later. That way we won’t get that one less new ep in the second half.

I would rather wait a week more till new episodes in January than another week less in the new year till may.

Why can’t CW just do a ABC schduele. Just hold off the after new year return till February. That will give us two less weeks of reruns toll may. Than about 3 breaks and 2-3 episodes in a row before a break. *sigh*

12. Dj says:

I do hope LoT gets more then 13. It finished with better ratings then Arrow.

13. brandydanforth81 says:

I hope they don’t add more superhero shows -four plus Vixen onSeed is enough
    Reign got s4 due to syndication,Netflix and bring CBS produced with ANTMcancelledonCW andBatB starting its final season to have a balance of WB/CBS shows

14. Eric J. says:

Not fair! I wanted Legends to get the full 22 order and I thought they were! 😢😢

15. Simon Jester says:

Reduced episode counts for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and iZombie? Boo.

• brandydanforth81 says:

CEG was lucky to get 13 with its 0.3s and Rachel admitted to having trouble doing 18.
      Izombies always been ashore season show p,suit being midseason mean13 episodes with no more usually.
      It’s for the best-less filler,less breaks and CW schedule is just too full for almost everything to get full seasons.

16. LE says:

Only 13 of iZombie :(.. it’s better than nothing I guess. So only the DC shows got a full season with the exception of Legends which got a 13 episode order but if the show struggled with a 16 episode order I imagine 22-23 won’t bode well.

17. kristinaallenvacations says:

Checked out both Crazy Ex Girlfriend and Jane the Virgin over the summer on Netflix and am now hooked!

18. BillyBobJohnson says:

With all these superhero shows, ‘The CW’ could soon stand for ‘The Cool Warriors’ network.

19. Butch says:

Arrow must be really dropping if the expect Supergirl to beat it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

If Supergirl loses even half of its demo rating with CW move, it will probably beat Arrow. And on CBS it had a full triple the viewers.

20. Erin says:

Sucks that there will only be 13 for The Originals. I hope they don’t cancel it after it is done and if they do at least give it a proper ending!

21. abz says:

I hope Crazy Ex-Girlfriend does well this season, but who knows with it being put on a Friday. I still can’t believe how much I enjoyed the show. It’s so entertaining. I want more Greg/Rebecca and White Josh/Darryl!!

22. David4 says:

Reign being renewed and for more episodes than a lot of other shows is kind of silly. I have a friend who loved that show and even he thought it was time to call it quits.

23. Phil says:

I know, I’m lucky for ANY additional Crazy Ex-Girlfriend episodes – but I wish it was 18, like Season One. I hate when season orders for the same show are different every season. Like, good, ol’, always-entertaining Chuck – what was it, one full season out of five?

24. Bill says:

13 is plenty for LoT. I felt last season there were a few filler episodes

25. Mikayla sandefur says:

I love that shows the are great I love evey shows Colluding actress can”t wait evey season and episodes 😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😭😭😭😭😱😱😱😭😭😭😭😭😱😱😱😱😜😜😜😜😜😜❤️❤️❤️😁❤️😀😀😀😀😍😍😍😍😍😍😍