Simone Biles

Olympics 2016: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Day 6 of the Rio Games?

If, somehow, you managed to avoid getting spoiled for the women’s all-around gymnastics final, NBC’s primetime coverage of the Rio Olympics on Thursday likely had your stomach doing Gabby Douglas-esque somersaults.

By the time Bob Costas shifted the home audience from gymnastics to swimming, the all-around competition had reached its halfway point — and frontrunner Simone Biles was, surprisingly, not at the top of the leaderboard. Nor was Aly Raisman, who had fallen to fourth place after her vault and uneven bar performances.

Sure, Russia’s Aliya Mustafina only led Biles by 0.034 points. Sure, the remaining exercises — balance beam and floor routine — were two of Raisman and Biles’ strongest. But still, an all-around gymnastics final that didn’t end with one or both of Team USA’s competitors on the podium simply seemed wrong.

That’s why it was doubly exhilarating to watch as the U.S. ladies clawed their way to the top of the leaderboard, finishing the evening with both gold and silver medals (for Biles and Raisman, respectively). Though it would be easy to attribute the girls’ success to some fatal errors by their competitors — someone get Russia’s Seda Tutkhalyan into therapy, stat! — it’s impossible to deny the agility, precision and beautifully-stuck landings that put Biles and Raisman atop the podium.

Even more memorable than their astonishing athletic skill was the girls’ unfiltered emotion as they realized they’d both performed floor routines strong enough to win the top two prizes. “That was the best double-turn of my life!” Raisman squealed as she stepped off the mat, while Biles burst into tears immediately after nabbing the gold. Perhaps their all-around success wasn’t the most unexpected moment of the Rio games, but it was certainly one of the most unforgettable.

Here are some other buzzed-about moments from Day 6 of the Rio games:

* Longtime swimming frenemies Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte faced off for the final time in an Olympic pool during the men’s 200-meter individual medley. Phelps, with a time of 1:54.66, walked away with yet another gold — his 22nd (!) — while Lochte failed to earn a spot on the podium, nabbing fifth place. (We’ll just blame that on the blue hair dye.)

* Speaking of swimming — and Olympic moments that make us verklempt — U.S. competitor Simone Manuel tied Canada’s Penny Oleksiak for the gold medal in the women’s 100-meter freestyle, with a record time of 52.70 seconds. Manuel, whose emotional post-swim interview likely had you ugly-crying on the couch, is the first African-American woman to win an individual gold medal in Olympic swimming.

* The men of Fiji’s rugby sevens team took home the gold medal — the nation’s first piece of hardware since joining the Olympic games in 1956.

* Kayla Harrison became the first U.S. judo competitor to win the gold medal at back-to-back Olympic games, besting France’s Audrey Tcheuméo (who earned silver) and Brazil’s Mayra Aguiar, Harrison’s longtime rival who settled for the bronze.

What was your favorite moment of this day of Olympic competition? What are you most looking forward to in the games? Let us know in the comments!

1. Hellenic78 says:

Phelps. Not even a debate.

2. ASHLEY says:

Aly’s emotion and triumph. That’s why I watch the Olympics and will remember her!

3. Bryan says:

Sad that Lochte didnt get a podium finish for hist last swim at the Olympics

4. Elena says:

While I very much enjoyed watching Phelps and Simone Biles dominate, it was even more enjoyable to see wins that were less of a sure thing. I legitmatey teared up when Aly Raisman finished floor, clinching the all-around medal she has waited four years for, and Simone Manuel won in the 100 free, marking an exciting and historic win in swimming. It was a good night for the U.S.

5. kitsunesaru says:

I don’t think it was blue dye in Lochte’s hair, but rather the clorine from the pool.

6. c-mo says:

Can’t pick just one:
    1. Simone Manuel winning gold (and yes, I cried right along with her)
    2. Ryan Murphy sweeping the men’s backstroke golds
    3. Aly finally getting a medal in the all-arounds
    4. Michael Phelps qualifying for the 100 fly final just a little more than 30 minutes after winning his 22nd gold in the 200 IM

7. Eurydice says:

I’ll tell you my least favorite moment – waiting and waiting for Phelps’ swim. With the continuous and repetitive blah-blah, the review of Phelps’ entire career and the endless commercials, there was over a half hour of absolutely nothing going on. Every Olympics I think NBC’s coverage can’t possibly get worse, but they always figure out a way to do it.

• KLS says:

You need to watch the other Olympic channels. NBCSportsNet (live) has been awesome! Only live events are shown, hosted by a calm and knowledgable Dan Patrick. All of the other sports are shown here. All live. Archery, shooting, rowing, field hockey, team handball, rugby 7 (!), volleyball, sailing, judo. The Olympics are shown on 5 channels (if you get cable/directv) and most of them are pure sports, no tear-jerker stories, fewer commercials (which are only aired during breaks in the action), with calmer commentators. Much better viewing.

• Eurydice says:

I could do that if I didn’t work during the day (which I think most people still do). But there really is no excuse for the prime time production to be so shoddy. They built this gigantic set, with gigantic screens and then put the teeny tiny Bob Costas in front of it – if you want to see the set, you can’t see Costas, and vice versa. What is the point of Bob Costas, anyway? He has no purpose and nothing to say.

• KLS says:

True. Actually, NBC/Universal has 8 channels (+streaming) on during the day. I am lucky that I am able to watch them. I am really enjoying the other “unpopular” sports. It’s a shame that people aren’t even aware that other sports are in the Olympics! If they aren’t gymnastics, swimming, basketball, soccer, or track & field, NBC doesn’t care about them.

8. notfeelingencouraged says:

Most Favorite of the day- Women’s Gymnastics All-Around & Swimming

Least Favorite of the Olympics- NBC’s handling of the prime-time coverage. I shouldn’t have to stay up until 11pm central to see something that happened 5 hours ago!!

• cej says:

It’s really awful. And before the prime time coverage even starts, I’ve already heard the results, so I’m not in a hurry to watch what’s been spoiled. Feels like in previous years, I was able to stay unaware of the outcomes of the competitions. I’m very disappointed. The whole thing feels blah to me.

• KLS says:

I still don’t understand how a live semi-final (swimming) wins over taped final (gymnastics). The tape delays have been an Olympic thorn for decades. It’s even worse now when most know the outcomes ahead of time.

9. JayBone says:

Not to take anything away from Simone Manuel but Canada’s Penny Oleksiak is only 16 and with her tying Simone got the first Olympic gold medal of her haul (4 so far) and for Canada at these games.

10. Lauren says:

When we heard Simone Manuel shriek when she realized she won, my husband and I teared up right along with her. A lot of great moments last night but that one was particularly beautiful.

11. GeoDiva says:

Simone Manuel! She was barely even mentioned during the event until she won! All they talked about on TV was the Campbell Sisters. The look on her face was priceless!

12. KLS says:

230+ lb Fiji rugby player laying out a 140+ lb Japanese forward (with the ball) during the Men’s Rugby 7 semi-final match. If you like hits in American Football, this is better. No pads, no whining, no flags. I bet the Japanese guy is still not sure what happened.

13. Jamie says:

Simone Manuel! Cried like a baby with the rest of the viewers.

• Robin says:

Me too! I watched NBC for the women’s All Around, but had to watch the swimmers. I could care less about the swimmers… until last night! The commentators were expecting the sisters to win and then Simone Manuel ties for gold!! I was so happy for her!! I also loved the women’s All Around. Ally’s parents deserve a medal as well. lol Their nerves have to be shot!