Star Trek Discovery Reboot Title

Star Trek: Discovery: Bryan Fuller Eyeing Female Lead for Reboot

This is highly logical: Star Trek‘s next lead will be more of a Janeway than a Jean-Luc.

There’s no confirmation from CBS, but sources tell TVLine that Bryan Fuller’s forthcoming Star Trek: Discovery reboot will feature a female lead. Casting for the coveted role is currently underway. (More details on the character can be found here.)

In a recent interview, Fuller hinted that the show’s ensemble would be diverse. “We want to carry on what Star Trek does best, which is being progressive,” he said. “It’s fascinating to look at all of these roles through a colorblind prism and a gender-blind prism.”

Star Trek: Discovery episodes will unspool weekly on CBS All Access after initially launching with a two-hour episode on CBS network in January 2017.

Per the official CBS logline, “The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.”

“We’ve got the arc of the first season entirely written, or arced out,” Fuller revealed to Collider earlier this summer, “and we’ve got the first six episodes entirely broken.”

Fuller elaborated at Comic-Con last month, “We’re telling stories in a brand-new way. We’re not so much episodic. There have been 762 episodes of Star Trek television, so we’re going to be telling stories like a novel, chapter by chapter.”

1. Christy says:

Wonderful! I’m starting to actually be excited for this.

2. nerdrage says:

Angela Basset or Rosario Dawson, please.

• Brian says:

a) Ms. Bassett has said is flattered, but that she has other commitments and isn’t available
      b) She’s 57. Lt. Commanders are generally in their late 20s or early 30s.

Someone else mentioned Nicole Beharie, late of “Sleepy Hollow”. Other choices are Cota de Pablo (“NCIS”) or Sarah Shahi (“Person of Interest”) although both are mid-30s.

3. Sam says:

Is there any scoop regarding the content level? Are language, sex etc. going to go farther than regular CBS or will they try to make it family-friendly?

4. Robberey says:

Get Sarah Shahi!

• lessthan says:

Great pick! Sarah Shahi is really talented!

• Brian says:

She had a pilot called “Drew” (as in adult Nancy Drew) that was not picked up by CBS. So she is already on their radar and is available. She also worked for Bad Robot on “Person of Interest”. Strong possibility if you ask me.

5. DS9 is King says:

I hope they cast David Tennant as the First officer.

• Patrick says:

The lead will be someone we have heard of, but not an A-list actor. Everyone else will be “unknown.” Or, at least, barely known.

6. Victor says:

Michelle Rodriguez or Salma Hayek

7. This would be a great role for Rhona Mitra!

• Oh yes, I would love it if they would pick Rhona Mitra, I loved her, and Last Ship turned around and killed her off, so she is available! Maybe this time she wouldn’t get killed off, like in everything else she has been in!

8. BrianR says:

How about Jennifer Beals.

9. Ian says:

I could so see Angela Bassett walking away from Murphy if CBS gave her this show and great material. It would be everything.

10. Imagecrafters says:

I will not be purchasing All Access, so I guess I won’t watch this

11. Jerri says:

Gina Torres would be good in the lead role here. Though I doubt she can do this and Suits.

12. DS9 is King says:

So it won’t deal with Section 31 it won’t deal with the Romulan War or any other War so in other words No Fun.

13. Dr. M says:

Guess all you want, you will be wrong.
    The lead will be a nobody you’ve heard of that they can hire cheaply.
    They need to keep expenses down if the show goes on for several years.

14. Géraldine says:

Jennifer Beals or Maggie Q would be great

15. Kevin says:

I would love to see Hayley Atwell play this lead female role!

16. Kevin says:

I would love to see Haley Atwell play the lead female role!

17. allie says:

Can Amy Acker play the First Officer or The Doctor? She’s perfect for any of this roles.

18. Bark Star says:

Having the lead character NOT be the captain is the best creative choice on a TREK TV show in years. This will be highly interesting.

• Simon Jester says:

That’s rather what they intended for TNG. Remembr the first season, when the idea was that the captain would never go on an away mission? Thank goodness they thought better of it.

19. Walkie says:

I don’t like how they are limiting themselves to a specific timeframe in the past. Why not tell new stories in a new timeframe?

20. Michael Summerset says:

The Star Trek shows have always been more of an ensemble than about an individual. I think we can expect something along the lines of Blindspot where the focus is on a subordinate of the group even though there’s stories about the other members of the group. But that would be a very different feel for ST than it’s typically had.

21. Shar says:

Jennifer Garner – talks softly and kicks ass. Please lets save her from Venture ads and movies about talking cats.

22. BillyBobJohnson says:

Yeah, great CBS. Still won’t be watching it beyond the two-hour premiere. You don’t deserve to get $6-7/mo just to watch what SHOULD BE a new broadcast show. I’ll wait for Netflix or DVDs.

23. DS9 is King says:

It just does not add up because if this series is set 10 years before TOS then Number 1 why does the USS Discovery look more Advanced then any ship in TOS and this is 10 years before TOS, also why would there be a Klingon Captain because Klingons and Humans in this Era Hate each other. The only way this can make sense if this is a Timeship and this crew is from the Future.

24. I would love to see this, but there is no way I am adding CBS All access to my list of on demand sites! I already have Netflix at 14.99, Hulu plus also at 14.99, (without ads) and actual cable too, which means Xfinity On Demand online! Why didn’t CBS just create a cable network instead, so it would have been included in my cable! Greed I guess! Well I guess this will be the first time I won’t be watching a new Star Trek series!

25. Erica says:

My vote for captain is Kellita Smith (leader of the group on Z-Nation). That woman can manage a crew!