Fall TV Preview
NCIS Season 14

NCIS Shake-Ups, Big Bang Family Matters and More CBS Fall Preview

As it prepared to hold court at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Wednesday, CBS released its fall preview synopses for more than a dozen returning shows.

What brings two new faces to NCIS? Which CBS family will be dealing with a stalker situation? Which Life in Pieces pair will spill a secret? Read on for those teasers and many more.

2 BROKE GIRLS (Monday, Oct. 10 at 9/8c)
Max deals with the aftermath of her breakup with Randy, Sophie and Oleg prepare for the birth of their baby and Han vows to take side jobs in order to take back full ownership of the diner.

THE BIG BANG THEORY (Monday, Sept. 19 at 8 pm)
As everyone deals with an awkward “morning after” Leonard’s dad hooked up with Sheldon’s mother, Penny’s anxiety-ridden mother (8 Simple Rules‘ Katey Sagal) drug dealing brother (30 Rock‘s Jack McBrayer) arrive for the wedding.

BLUE BLOODS (Friday, Sept. 23 at 10 pm)
Danny’s world is turned upside down when the Attorney General’s office obtains new evidence against him in the self-defense shooting case of Thomas Wilder.

CODE BLACK (Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 10 pm)
Col. Ethan Willis (new cast member Rob Lowe) joins the team as part of a program in which the Department of Defense sends doctors to hospitals to teach new techniques.

CRIMINAL MINDS (Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 9 pm)
Adam Rodriguez joins the cast as Luke Alvez, a new recruit to the BAU from the FBI’s Fugitive Task Force tasked with helping to capture one of the escaped killers from last season.

ELEMENTARY (Sunday, Oct. 2 at 10 pm)
Joining the NYPD manhunt for a serial bomber, Watson seeks help from a former criminal, Shinwell Johnson (True Blood‘s Nelsan Ellis), whose life she saved when she was a surgeon.

HAWAII FIVE-0 (Friday, Sept. 23 at 9 pm)
McGarrett refuses to listen to Danny’s pleas to take it easy while recovering from surgery; Five-0 goes on the hunt for a serial killer as fear grows that it’s not safe to travel to Hawaii.

LIFE IN PIECES (Thursday, Oct. 27 at 9:30)
Heather and Tim reach out to Clementine’s parents (Parks and Recreation‘s Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally) to get Tyler and Clementine’s marriage annulled; Jen and Greg are forced to reveal a secret.

MADAM SECRETARY (Sunday, Oct. 2 at 9 pm)
A proposed shift in foreign policy jeopardizes President Dalton’s campaign for re-election; Henry and Elizabeth worry their family is being stalked after a series of incidents involving Jason.

MOM (Thursday, Oct. 27 at 9 pm)
Bonnie is delighted when Adam (new series regular William Fichtner) returns home, but his drinking becomes an issue for her; Aunt Jeanine (guest star Rosie O’Donnell) encourages Christy to quit school to become a real estate agent.

NCIS (Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 8 pm)
Gibbs’ team investigates a car explosion that connects to NCIS Special Agent Nick Torres (new cast member Wilmer Valderrama), who disappeared six months ago while undercover; Gibbs asks NCIS Special Agent Alex Quinn (Blue Bloods‘ Jennifer Esposito) to shadow his team after rejecting eight agents she referred for DiNozzo’s vacated position. Duane Henry joins the cast as MI6 Officer Clayton Reeves.

NCIS: LOS ANGELES (Sunday, Oct. 2, 8 pm)
The team is under investigation by the Under Secretary of the Navy due to the identification of a mole in their department.

NCIS: NEW ORLEANS (Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 10 pm)
In the aftermath of the Russo case, Brody decides to leave NCIS and FBI Special Agent Tammy Gregorio (Graceland‘s Vanessa Ferlito) investigates Pride and his team.

THE ODD COUPLE (Monday, Oct. 17 at 9:30 pm)
Oscar must choose between properly romancing Charlotte (with the help of Boyz II Men) and helping save Felix’s relationship with Emily.

SCORPION (Monday, Oct. 3 at 9 pm)
The team must put aside their personal and romantic troubles when hackers take control of targeted U.S. military aircraft and war ships and point America’s weaponry at its own cities.

1. Chris says:

you mean Leonard’s dad

THE BIG BANG THEORY (Monday, Sept. 19 at 8 pm)
    As everyone deals with an awkward “morning after” Howard’s dad hooked up with Sheldon’s mother, Penny’s anxiety-ridden mother (Sons of Anarchy‘s Katey Sagal) drug dealing brother (30 Rock‘s Jack McBrayer) arrive for the wedding.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

So true. Fixed with the speed of 1,000 gazelles.

• tjchurch2001 says:

Never mind the fact they already had a second wedding when Christine Baranski took a brief break from finishing-up the televised parts of “Good Wife” to appear last year (along with her on-camera ex, Judd Hirsch)!

• Travis says:

They didn’t have the wedding yet, the season premier picks up right where that episode ended.

• TJ. Church says:

That was last season… I remember Christine (Leonard’s Mom) getting so upset when she visited & finds out she wasn’t invited. One of the wed mentions how fast it was planned & done, & either Amy or Bernadette mentions they watched the Webcast.

From the “showrunner”:

The couple made it official in a Las Vegas wedding chapel while the rest of the gang watched via online streaming from the comfort of Howard (Simon Helberg) and Bernadette’s (Melissa Rauch) living room

• David Arnold says:

How about the number of commercials?? I count 5-8 commercials every 8 minutes in a 1/2 hour program?? NO THANKS!! I’ll stick with Netflix. NO COMMERCIALS, None, zero.

2. KLS says:

Is it just me, or are all NCIS story arcs sound the same across the three shows?

• cuius says:

You’ve just realised this, after all these years? This is why shows like “Braindead” struggle – taking people out of their comfort zone

• mary says:

Well N stands for Navy for all three. And all three have the somewhat “same-type” of people working in their particular section.

3. Kevin K says:

Don’t know if 2BG are planning to bring back Eric Andre who played a major part in Season 3.

4. anonymous says:

Can someone help me here? It mentioned something about ‘Family Matters’ in the title of that article, but I’m not seeing anything in the article about FM returning. Plus, I thought Jaleel White had an aversion to reprising his role as Urkel so I’m not sure how that would work. If anyone gets this message let me know.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Is this real?

• MMD says:

Try rereading the title in context. Usually reading comprehension is learned at an early age or else you are just trolling which we can all live without.

• Maria says:

The “family matters” have to do with Big Bang…specifically with Leonard’s dad and Sheldon’s mom.
      If the title were referring to “Family Matters,” the old sitcom, then it would be separated by commas (as is proper punctuation within a list of 3 or more nouns) and the words would be italicized, just like the titles of NCIS and Big Bang.
      Matt is pretty careful about spelling and punctuation.

• thisismenow says:

Or maybe the person was from the future, and saw that Barry Jenner died and TVLine used the Family Matters role on it. ZOMG!!

5. meredithbrody says:

Like hell Brody would leave NCIS. I’m still mad as hell about that. “Creative Reasons” my butt..

• MMD says:

Agreed! She goes all the way back to the mother-ship JAG! pffft

I wish they would stop messing with my NCIS shows, As for NCIS: LA, I hope the mole is Granger. I want less Granger and more Hetty. She rules!

• notfeelingencouraged says:

Holy Frap! I just realized that. OMG, I cannot believe I never placed her from JAG before, and I have been watching JAG episodes recently. Wow, just WOW!

But, yea, she should not be leaving just like it should not take 3 people to replace DiNozzo and since Ziva left they have not batted .1000 with replacements, maybe half that?

• JC1 says:

Brody doesn’t go back to JAG. Zoe McLellen played a different character on JAG, a Navy Petty Officer named Jennifer Coates.

• meredithbrody says:

They mean that her affiliation with the franchise goes back to JAG. Longer than anyone else (including Mark Harmon) I believe.

• Daniel says:

Nope… She joined JAG in 2001. So she was with them from 2001-2005 & NOLA from 2014-2016. 8 years. Mark Harmon’s been with NCIS since the series launch in 2003. We’re about to start season 14.

This isn’t a contest tho… This is a job. We shouldn’t take this personally for them. They’re ACTORS. Theyre used to this. Theyrr VERY lucky to get consistent employment like this. We don’t know when Zoe was told she wasn’t being invited back/a contract wasn’t being renewed. Who knows… She may have been told in the spring when they filmed the finale so she could say her goodbyes?

Just because we’re losing Brody doesn’t mean she’s losing her castmates… And it doesn’t mean she wants her friends to lose their jobs. Keep watching NOLA everyone. We got some great episodes coming up this fall & they all need our eyeballs critiquing them. 😂😝😬😂

• meredithbrody says:

Dude I’ve been working in the TV industry since 2004 so chill with the superiority. Affiliation is about total length of time since you began, not cumulative total of appearances. So yes, I was factually correct get of your high horse.

I do not want the show to end nor fail because Brody is gone, but the mistreatment of female leads by CBS is well documented, on this site and others. Just because I understand the business does not mean I don’t have a right to be sad and disappointed at the situation nor does it preclude me from being angry about the way all this has been handled where an actor felt he had to LEAK THE NEWS because they weren’t going to announce it at all.

• Brenda Everett says:

If we were to stop watching a program every time a character was leaving, either by their choice or the show..we might not have some of the long running shows on that we like. I am referring to Cait, Ziva on NCIS. They left because they wanted to. How do we know for sure that Brody didn’t either? Rumors are not always true..remember?

• Barb says:

I agree wholeheartedly

• Barb says:

Exactly! She was just great in the Brody role.

• Barb says:

Exactly. Should not have gotten rid of her.

• j. Harris says:

NCIS Los Angeles may be the only franchise I continue to watch. So far, they have left it alone. I prefer “Brody” on NOLA! I want “Tony” back with better scripts for him! When will execs learn you “don’t fix what ain’t broke.” (Bad grammar and all.)

• meredithbrody says:

I don’t really care about NCIS and I never got into LA. Brody was the only thing keeping me with NOLA. I like it well enough but she was the glue that held it all together. It’s a gigantic mistake to force her out because they are too lazy to write out of the situation they put her in

• QYW says:

Here we go again. You want “Tony” back–great, go talk to Michael Weatherly, he was the one who wanted to leave and strike out on his own. His new show will follow NCIS on Tuesdays. Guess if you want to blame someone blame him–he “broke”, (left after 13 years–HOW DARE HE!!) to have his own show. I am amazed at the arrogance of some people who feel they “own” actors and the shows they do, and can demand the impossible. As far as the actress playing Brody, she has been dealing with things in her personal life, (messy divorce) and may have asked to be released, no one knows–but, by all means, MAKE her come back. SMDH

• MeeMee says:

I also heard her divorce was tumultuous, her husband was accusing her of abandoning the kid because she was working very long days. Isn’t that stupid, men can work 24/7 but if a woman does the same then she’s a bad mother, such a double standard. That would be great if she can come back. I feel bad for her…

• meredithbrody says:

I keep seeing this “I heard her divorce was…” used but that was settled and made official, along with the accompanying custody arrangements, in August 2015. Over a year ago now. What’s happened here is just really sucky and it bothers me that it’s kinda being swept under the rug because of something settled last year. I hope Zoe can come back or finds something even more awesome.

6. Fay Kelley says:

Well, that does it for ME, and watching “Mom”…….. I love Christie and Bonnie, and the entire cast actually, but Rosie O’Donnell ????

No way ! I cannot even bear to LOOK at her !

Dang, and I like “Mom” !!!!!!!

7. Sam Curitiba says:

The NCIS shows have me hooked, mostly because viewers become addicted to the main characters, who are developed in depth.

BROKE GIRLS is an insult to anyone with intelligence. Pure fluff and teenage stupidity. Every year that this show — with its horrendously canned laughter — is renewed, I wonder who in the world is supporting it.

• Fay Kelley says:

ITA Sam ! 2BG’s is disgusting ! I’m no prude, but come one…. Enough is enough !

• Lisa says:

I third or fourth this comment – I think it is only on the air because it comes from Chuck Lorre’s production company – I think we will be stuck with this on the air until Big Bang is done – I for one will continue to keep ignoring/not watching ; -)

• Larc says:

They use canned laughter so some of the fans of these shows will know when to laugh. Much of the dialog doesn’t give any clue.

8. Susan says:

Can’t believe “Two Broke HOs” is still on the air.

9. aaronalbers says:

wow nothing more on blue bloods and possible Eddie and Jamie relationship?

10. Bud Narachi says:

Still cannot believe CBS continues to keep ‘Two Broke Girls” on the air. Everything that is said is mostly a one liner. Who watches this junk ? must be teeny boppers because no adult would bother to watch this dumb show.

11. Ilsa Lund says:

Too many NCIS new characters. Lose the show’s integrity.

• Biya says:

I’m looking forward to next season of NCIS. I loved Tony but I can understand him wanting to leave after giving it 13 years and wanting his own show. Am hoping that the new characters can step it up. I did like the “intro” of them in last season’s shows — I think they will be fine. I am glad that the FBI agent isn’t coming back though. She was and could not be, a member of this team. As for Valdarama, I’ve seen him in a few dramatic roles and he does a decent job. Let’s give him (and the other new ones) a chance.

12. Barb says:

Exactly. Should not have dumped Broady from N OL.

13. auntiemm says:

I’ll watch NCIS until the end but I’m done with NOLA with Brody gone. Still scratching my head abut that one. Last season was mostly a disappointment for me anyway.

14. They keep a show like tewo broke girls nit can’t keep Limitles!!!. I tried so hard not to watch it. Then I did got hooked and now it’s gone.

15. rich says:

When the NBA goes to more diversity, then maybe CBS and NCIS should. Till then the best of each group should just play on!!!

• Over It says:

Seriously? You’re comparing basketball to major network television. I don’t watch basketball, so I could care less about who’s on what team. But I do watch tv. And it’s really telling when I see television shows and see no one that looks like me except the sassy sidekick or the nanny. It sends a message and I’m sorry that you don’t see that. That you honestly think that basketball is a fair comparison. And yet people ask why I think humanity is doomed.

16. Connie Brady says:

Why would you put NCIS Los Angeles on Sunday night opposite football?

17. Glenn Janek says:

NCIS New Orleans….there team is being investigated because Brody got close to American agent. She figured out what he was up to and the NCIS team stopped the attack. They are being investigated? Then they need to shut down all of Homeland according to this as they let that guy not only get into the agency but rise to the top never finding out what he was…..makes perfect sense to me…..I love Brody….her character was awesome…

• meredithbrody says:

I’m with you entirely. This whole story makes no sense and reeks of writer laziness.

• Daniel says:

It reeka of a characters usefulness coming to an end and TPTB realizing it. Better to let character go when she’s still sort of at the top of her game… Instead of just simply not.
        Remember… This isn’t real life. It’s just a TV show. 😱

18. LINDA WOMACK says:

Time for NCIS to go!

• QYW says:

Why? Because YOU say so? Wow, aren’t we the superior ones. Hey, if you don’t like it, no one is holding a gun to your head making you watch it–go find something you like better and quit issuing your “demands”. Plenty of other people, DO like it. SMDH

19. Frank Pote Jr says:

Started to wane on NCIS when they brought in the insipid character Bishop. Lost even more interest when Dinozzo character left. I used to be a dyed in the wool fan now that wool has lost its luster. Gave up on NCIS LA a year ago as BORING especially with the ding bat blonde guy dating the SMARTER brunette character! Tried NCIS N O and after 1 season wrote it off as boring and predictable so I guess I’m now losing a favorite this coming season when NCIS adds 2 new characters to a show I see as losing its grip on giving us GOOD TV!!

20. Brenda Everett says:

The fall season sounds so exciting and I am so SAD. We live in the country, do not have access to over the air free TV. We depend on satellite to get all our TV shows. As most DISH customers know, there is a money dispute going on with CBS at this time, and for the last 2-3 months. We don’t have WiFi to stream programs, which means as of now we will be missing this season. As I said I am SAD.

21. Dorothy Zydek says:

Re NCIS: So Agent Bishop is still there……

And WHY is Two Broke Girls STILL alive and well? The acting sucks, the writing sucks. Actually mostly the writing sucks.

• Brenda Everett says:

You don’t like 2BG’s…change the channel. That’s what the remote is for. Some ppl, like me, like the dry sense of humor you get from the show. I like it. Sorry you don’t.

• Jake says:

I think you meant to write “sleazy” and instead wrote “dry”. The only thing dry about that show is Kat Dennings talent.

• Brenda Everett says:

Ok, Jake, we will just agree to disagree ok..to each his own. Maybe it is sleazy, but I still think there is humor in it. Thanks for the debate. Have a nice evening.

• Biya says:

Yes, Bishop is still there and I am glad. I’ve really come to enjoy her character and think she fits with this team very well. If you don’t like her, may I suggest the on/off or change channel button on your tv?

22. Roy Guy says:

Get rid of Two Broke Girls, They are nothing but sarcastic Potty Mouths and I’m not a prude. Is the show suppost to be comedy or sexy which the show is far from either!!!!!!!!!

• Brenda Everett says:

My take on 2BG, if you don’t like it..change the channel. Apparently some ppl do or it wouldn’t still be on. I myself don’t care for the scary movies, but some ppl do and that is their right. I’m not asking for them to be removed. I just change channels.

23. Barbara Foster says:

The viewers might be able to talk smart about tv if the networks were airing programs that were worth watching. I have never enjoyed tv less.

24. katezmusing says:

Where is the explanation on NCIS shakeup that the headline clickbaited me to read? What a waste of time. I’ve stopped watching NCIS anyway. Now that all the good characters like Ziva and Tony are gone. Sean Murray? He’ll never leave but his character is OH SO ANNOYING…Gibbs, was fine, but needed that play off the DiNozzo character to humanize him a bit. So sad. This show was good for a long time but after they killed off Ziva, I don’t even watch the reruns anymore.

25. the only show that is worth watching is NCIS with mark harmon now that they got rid of that asshole michael weatherly.

• TJ. Church says:

Anyone saying the original is worth watching with Harmon & without Weatherly is full of “Bull”. (Pun extremely intended.) Los Angeles is barely worth watching any more, & it is the only one. They need to rid of the other two, & bring about the “Red” spinoff they set-up for years ago.

• Why do you use social media to use such bad language? If you do not like Micheal Weatherly fine but please use good English to express your feelings.

26. Frederick peacock says:

NCIS should have run a season with just the old cast. The two new members need to be killed off. They add nothing. So sad this show is losing momentum. I know I was the biggest fan. Stopped buying season series DVD when diva left. Never the same