Doubt Katherine Heigl

Laverne Cox on Groundbreaking Doubt Role: 'It's Wonderful to Be a Black Transgender Woman on CBS'

On CBS’ midseason legal drama Doubt, Laverne Cox plays a fiercely competitive Ivy League-educated attorney. Oh, and she’s also broadcast television’s first full-time transgender character — a distinction not lost on Cox.

“What’s so exciting about [the role of] Cameron and being on CBS is I’m an avid TV watcher and, growing up, I did not see people like me on television,” the Orange is the New Black actress told reporters Wednesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. “It’s wonderful to get to play a character like that. And to be a black transgender woman in that position on CBS feels really special.”

More than anything, Cox admitted, “I’m really grateful to have a job as an actor.”

Doubt also marks a return to television for Katherine Heigl following her short-lived NBC drama State of Affairs. Jumping back into a new TV project —and one shepherded by her former Grey’s Anatomy EPs Tony Phelan and Joan Rater — is “always kind of thrilling,” Heigl shared. “You cannot deny that every time this opportunity happens and this coalescing of events takes you to this moment right now…it’s an exciting process.

“But it’s also terrifying and stressful and, if one goes there — which I’m trying not to — scary,” she added, “I’m trying to stay focused on how fun it’s been. I’m just really excited for people to see this.”

1. LADY_in_MD says:

What about Candis on Dirty Sexy Money or does that not count cause she wasn’t on all the episodes? Either way great for Laverne I’ll check this out hope it’s good

2. N says:

I’ve been waiting for this show. Love the 2 leads

3. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Will definitely check this out. I didn’t like OITNB, but I did like Laverne on it.

4. Jamie says:

I love Laverne Cox, but I really don’t trust CBS. At all. Hopefully this goes well…

5. Anne says:

Well I’m suddenly much more interested in this show! I love Laverne; I’d watch her in anything
    Though I’m assuming/hopeful that the mid season status doesn’t affect her role on Orange. We just spent the whole last season without her, I can’t do another.

6. First PRIMETIME broadcast network transgender character. Karla Mosley’s Maya on The Bold and the Beautiful was the first.

• jaetb says:

No…she’s DAYTIME and she wasn’t the first. I think Candis Cayne was the first “part time” transgender on PRIMETIME. And Karla is a natural heterosexual woman that is just playing a trans character on a daytime soap….and she wasn’t the first person in daytime to do that. I think Jeffrey Carlson might have been…for his role as Zarf/Zoe on All My Children…

• That’s what I was saying. Laverne Cox’s role on this show will be the first full-time PRIMETIME role as Maya has already done that in daytime.

I don’t know if Carlson was ever a contract player on AMC as he was only in the role for a few months. It looks like Zoe did not complete her transition (I’m relying on Wikipedia for this). In today’s society she is still a transgender woman, but you could make the case Maya and Laverne’s series regular characters will be the first to have undergone gender reassignment surgery in daytime and primetime .

7. grammadee94 says:

HE can change HIS outward appearance to a FEMALE….but HE can’t change HIS DNA to female. HE is STILL a “MAN”.

8. Reality Check says:

Disgusting! Exploiting people with gender dysphoria in order to satisfy the abhorrent lusts of less than 1/10 of 1% of Americans is just disgusting. CBS should be ashamed of themselves.

9. Amber says:

I don’t like Katherine H she’s awful. I WON’T watch anything she’s on .

10. RealWoman says:

Who’s who? If an actor is cast on the show because s/he is a good actor, fine. If s/he is cast on the show because s/he is LGBTQ or whatever else just to promote that agenda, then the show will flop. People won’t watch bad acting and that’s what I saw when I watched part of the first episode. I actually got a good nap in trying to watch it. Most of the show I watch regularly are CBS shows but this one won’t be one of them. I’ll find something better to watch. But hey, if that’s your standard, go ahead.