Supergirl CBS

CBS After Supergirl: 'If We Heard the Right Superhero Pitch, We Would Buy It'

CBS is not necessarily out of the superhero business, even after Supergirl‘s single-season flight on the Big 3 network ultimately led to the series moving to The CW.

“If we heard the right superhero pitch, we would absolutely buy it,” CBS entertainment president Glenn Geller said on Wednesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

Following his panel Q&A, Geller asserted that its foray into the DC Comics universe “actually worked very well,” averaging more than 10 million weekly viewers (with DVR playback). “But at the end of the day, we really looked at the situation and said, ‘How can we [and The CW] both win from this? We co-own The CW, so this was an opportunity for both CBS and Warner Bros. to really benefit from the success of the show.”

In fact, if the right deal couldn’t be arrived at to move the series to The CW, “There’s nothing to say… that we wouldn’t have taken [Supergirl] back,” Geller shared.

Like Supergirl, the Limitless Ratingssmall-screen adaptation of Limitless represented a big, fun swing for CBS… that ultimately didn’t pan out.

“We have to make determinations based on how we feel going forward. We can only pick up so many things,” he said of Limitless‘ surprising snuffing. “I really liked the show, but if it’s not connecting with the viewers, we can’t bring it back.”

1. Kevin K says:

CBS won’t be the same without Supergirl now that is moving to The CW and I know people are still bummed about the cancellation of Limitless.

2. Seun Fayiga says:

Wow. How the hell did he know that limitless didnt connect with its viewers? So he’s saying thats the reason for cancellation. Mhen, their fans are gona be pissed if they read this

3. datdudemurphy says:

Strangers in Paradise would be a much better fit for CBS.

4. Socashoe says:

While I would love for comic book based shows to have homes on major broadcast networks, I’m starting to feel as if it’s better off if these shows stream on a subsription service or air smaller networks or cable. Smaller outlets can accept smaller audiences and give the shows a chance to grow creatively. I feel the broadcast networks really want a superhero tv show that is the ratings equivalent of a Marvel movie debut every week. Heck everyone wants that kind of success, but you need the budget, time, and names (both in front and behind the camera) to do it for 22 episodes a year. I’m just not sure that’s possible on CBS.

5. dancmh says:

I watched Supergirl and Limitless on CBS. That’s it. I gave up on Big Bang a long time ago. I have no reason to tune into the network now. In fact, given how easily it gives up on new shows, I’m a lot less likely to get sucked into any new content they create because they could be cut just as easily.

6. ian says:

You already had the perfect superhero pitch. It was called Person of Interest.

7. Marco Piazzo says:

Limitless DID connect with viewers. That’s why its cancellation – and the renewal of considered DOA medical drama Code Black – came as such a surprise last spring. But then again, this guy greenlighted basically the same comedy TWICE (Kevin Can Wait and Man With A Plan) so he has some limitations…

• ndixit says:

I wouldn’t call the ratings Limitless got as an example of connecting. Maybe it should have gotten renewed over Code Black but it certainly wasn’t doing particularly well.

• Freddie says:

Didn’t TVLine run a story that revealed Limitless was doing pretty okay in the ratings? (http://tvline.com/2016/05/26/tv-season-rankings-2015-2016-empire-big-bang-theory-x-files/)

I’m not saying those are the numbers of a smash hit, but if you compare it to the top-rated non-cancelled categories, Limitless wasn’t doing that bad. Neither was Supergirl, come to that. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that maybe the audience the shows weren’t connecting with was that all-mighty 18-25 demographics.

But, than again, what do I know?

• Eric says:

I don’t know, I’m 21 (and fit quite squarely in that demo) and Limitless was certainly my favourite new show of the 15-16 season and several of my friends watched it too. We all thought it was great. I wish they had given it a chance to grow. I think many people saw the series as another boring procedural as the publicity for the show could never quite convey its charm and sense of humour.

• Temperance says:

Code Black was pretty great; Limitless was too dull to bother. That one was pretty simple. CBS doesn’t do genre well.

8. "A" says:

CBS can you say Wonder Woman ?
    With the upcoming Wonder Woman film and them running the series from 1977 to 1979 WW would be a perfect fit at CBS again.

Lynda Carter could be the new Queen of the Amazons well her daughter Donna Troy the new Wonder Woman.

9. Luis says:

If they are honestly looking for a superhero show, they should go with “Titans.” I think the theory of the show plays better to CBS’ older skewing demographic than “Supergirl” did.

10. Michael Summerset says:

If CBS was going to do another superhero show they would be better doing something outside the DC or Marvel universe. Maybe a modern take on The Shadow, which started as a radio play and almost became a TV series.

11. Simon Jester says:

Agent Carter

12. Brigid says:

How about they just stick to CSI and tin laughter “comedies”.

13. HAP says:

What BS from Geller.

• Phun says:

Totally agree with you!

• Phun says:

Need to add: Don’t even get me started on Geller/Moonves and all this BS… Saying that you’re going to tentatively renew 5 of your freshman shows…Sending your highest rated freshman drama, which happens to be a superhero show, to your sister station and saying this! I’m done with CBS….

14. grys03 says:

So the “right superhero pitch” would aim for a demographic of 35-55, be predominately dominated by white male actors & whilst I don’t mind some those shows they ain’t superhero shows.
    If Flash, Arrow, Daredevil, Jessica Jones have proven one thing is that there is an appetite for superhero shows. There’s a ready made audience – if done well. & I would suggest that the studio has no idea what makes a ‘right superhero pitch’.

15. KingDave says:

Maybe if they’d made Limitless more like the movie it was based on, it would have connected with more people. I followed the show more because of my love for the movie than for the show. They turned a clever, fun thriller into a slapstick comedy.

16. R.O.B. says:

A lot of things aren’t going to pan out anymore. Hundreds of TV channels and dozens of high quality networks, as well as streaming sites – I don’t know what these networks are expecting anymore. It seems like “Lost” was the last real conversation show. Now many people don’t have the same shows in common anymore. Everyone is talking about Big Bang Theory or Brooklyn 99 like we used to talk about Seinfeld and Friends because there is too much to choose from now. So good for CW snatching up all these DC shows, at least they know what is going on and are creating a kind of fun theme park experience. But if things keep up like this, it isn’t going to be worth investing my time in any network shows, knowing they’ll probably be cancelled for lack of the 1990’s-size audience the bigger networks are apparently still expecting.

17. Will Holz says:

Where do we submit, CBS?

If you can’t do a Wonder Twins series starring Anna Kendrick and Channing Tatum…there’s always the adventures of Bi-Polar Bear!

Here’s Bi-Polar Bear’s logo! :(:

18. Dr. M says:

Translation: We need a superhero who investigates crimes.

19. Temperance says:

I’m more comfortable about watching the show anywhere but CBS. I’m really disappointed they’re doing the new Star Trek – I’m not find of the network and it has a poor record with genre programing (a la Supergirl).