You did it, everyone: You killed Sunday Funday.
After seeing “Sunday Funday” — aka the focus of You’re the Worst episodes in Seasons 1 and 2 — on T-shirts and bar blackboards and various other places, creator Stephen Falk penned an episode of the upcoming Season 3 titled “The Last Sunday Funday.”
“The characters realize that Sunday Funday has been co-opted by the general public,” the executive producer said during the show’s panel at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills. As a result, “We’re embracing all of that and doing it, but doing it for the last time.”
Season 1’s Sunday Funday found Desmin, Gretchen & Co. getting drunk and doing fun things around the city while dodging hipsters who were doing the same. Season 2’s Sunday Funday took place in an extreme haunted house.
Falk added that the episode will be “scavenger-hunt themed.”
Falk joined cast members Chris Geere, Aya Cash, Desmin Borges and Kether Donohue on the panel. Other highlights of the session include:
* Geere and Cash have a rather naked first scene of the season, something that Falk said was “important, after a dark season, to reset them a little bit” and show “they’re still hot for each other.” Geere added, “Somedays, you walk in, and there’s just a sock” on the wardrobe rack in his trailer, but that he’s used to being nearly nude in front of Cash and the crew. “It’s part of the show now.”
* Musician Ben Folds will guest-star in an upcoming episode, playing a “twisted version of Ben Folds” who becomes involved in Gretchen’s professional life, Falk said.
* Edgar’s story will expand in the upcoming episodes, which will find the military vet dealing with his continuing combat issues. “This season is really all about taking ownership for who you are and how you want the next phase of your life to be,” Borges said, adding that he needs to stop his friends’ (and the Veterans Adminstration’s) tendency to bully him in order to move forward with Dorothy.
* While Falk didn’t say whether Donohue’s character would be pregnant for the entire season, he weighed in on whether she should. “Lindsay should absolutely not have a baby,” he said, laughing as he extended that to Becca and Vernon’s spawn, as well. “I worry about any baby born into the world of You’re the Worst.”
* Jimmy has a big, emotional blow during the season, which gives Geere new qualities of the character to play, he said. “He’s blissfully unaware of his own feelings… He believes he’s a robot. To actually dig into that this year has been fantastic to me.”
You’re the Worst returns on Wednesday, Aug. 31, at 10/9c on FXX.