Donald Glover Community

Donald Glover Reveals Why He Skipped the Community Series Finale: 'It's Important That Things End'

Donald Glover declined Dan Harmon’s invitation to return to Community for the comedy’s sixth and final season because, as far as he was concerned, Troy had been laid to rest.

“I think everything should have death clauses in them,” Glover told reporters Tuesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, where he was promoting his new FX dramedy Atlanta. “Humans have death clauses. Like, thank God, one day, [Donald] Trump is gonna die. That’s guaranteed. That’s awesome. It’s important that things end. I’m glad things end because it forces things to progress. I get really frustrated in the world because I see a lot of things that could be better but aren’t better because things haven’t died yet.”

Glover went on to maintain, “I had so much fun on Community. It wasn’t that I wanted to run away from it.”

1. Emily says:

i disagree. troy could have ended with the other characters in the series finale. it still would have been an ending. he was a character that was meant to stay the entire series, but he chose to leave early.

2. Jim says:

Well that’s a line of bull. But whatever, man. You do you.

• Bob says:

What is “bull” about what he said exactly?

• Belle says:

All of it, everything he has said since he left Community. To each their own…he lives in an alternate universe or something.

• luke says:

Well, he was given a chance to be on a quite unique tv show, a great tv show, and instead of honoring the fact and returning at the end to complete the unique journey and to say thanx to the creators and his fellow actors (forget the fans), he basically told them to buzz off.

3. Bob says:

Disappointing but I get why he didn’t come back.

I would hope that when/if the movie happens, he comes back for that though. That would be lame otherwise.

4. Patrick says:

So, basically, he’s just really weird now? That is my takeway from his rambling, incoherent answer. Good luck with that.

5. Jamie says:

Maybe I listen to too much Hamilton, but all I can think is that this was super George Washington of him – “And then we’ll teach them how to say goodbye…If I say goodbye, the nation learns to move on.” lmao

I get his point though – they thought the show was over and that his character was “dead”. While I’m sure that everyone would have loved to see him in the final season, everything comes to a an end, sometimes before we want it to.

6. Belle says:

He is so delusional!! Does he really think coming back for even one episode would not have created an ending? There are multiple endings for life: i.e. each grade you progress in while in school, job promotions, birthdays….come on man I have lost all respect for you.

7. TV Gord says:

I get what he’s saying, and it’s his life–NOT OURS–so, I’m content with him doing what he does. Life is too short to hold a grudge, especially against someone who has entertained me so much!

I guess this means he won’t be back for “…and a movie”, either.

8. DarkDefender says:

Thank god he left… Otherwise Matt Damon would have never gotten of Mars to be Jason Bourne again.

9. Lucifer says:

Hillary might call him a super predator, but I call him super pretentious.

10. Rich says:

How brave! He took a swipe at Trump!