Bubble Shows Cancelled or Renewed

Agent Carter: Marvel TV Boss Wants Revival

Hayley Atwell would be “very happy” to lead Agent Carter on a new mission — and Marvel TV would be very happy to accommodate her. There’s just one none-too-small factor standing in the way.

Someone needs to first step forward and offer a home for said TV-movie special (as Atwell has suggested) or whatever form the revival might come in.

Explaining the situation to TVLine in the wake of Atwell’s Aug. 4 comments, Marvel TV chief Jeph Loeb said that “unlike the movies,” Marvel’s small-screen division cannot simply greenlight a project without first knowing where it will play.

“[Marvel Studios schedulers] get to say, ‘In 2019, were going to bring you Captain Marvel,’ and when it shows up in a movie theater, [no theater owner] is going, ‘Whoa, hold on a second — we didn’t say that that was OK!'”

Instead, “What Marvel Television does every day is it connects with our partners — ABC, FX, Fox, Netflix, Freeform — and they tell us when they would like it. So the short answer is: Sure, if someone wants to call and say, ‘We want a two-hour Agent Carter for May 2017,’ boom. We’ll put together the greatest Agent Carter movie we can.” (For the record, Netflix has dismissed the idea of adding Agent Carter to its slate of Marvel series.)

And again, Loeb hopes to one day deliver a new mission for Peggy, especially since Atwell is demonstrably on board.

“Every person who’s reading this sat in a movie theater and saw Phil Coulson die in The Avengers, and we’re now about to start our 67th episode, on our way to 100 episodes, of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., none of which would have happened without Phil Coulson and Clark Gregg. I’m incredibly grateful that Hayley has been bold enough to say that she would love to play that part again. So… ‘I hope so’ is the short answer.”

1. Shaun says:

So this isn’t happening

2. TV Addict says:

There is so much support behind the scenes, why can’t one network step up to make this happen for fans! I feel like Freeform would be a great fit because its target demo seems to coincide with Agent Carter’s key demo.

• johnhelvete says:

Disney owns 50% of A&E networks, Lifetime is one of the channels. I think Lifetime would be a better fit for a 6 episode limited Agent Carter series. A limited series is probably easier to monetize than a movie, but Lifetime does have a weekly movie brand as well.

• rowan77 says:

Ooh, no. Lifetime is the WRONG network for Agent Carter. Just because the lead is a woman, doesn’t mean the show should air on a “for women” network. I think ABC would do well to get off their duffs and pick up an Agent Carter movie or even a two-part mini-series to air when Agents of Shield has a hole in their airdates.

3. lshoemaker says:

There’s a lot of support for this show from fans. Thanks for checking in with Marvel about this because the fans definitely want more Agent Carter.

4. Cate says:

MORE PEGGY! Someone please green light this!

5. Joey Padron says:

Hope Agent Carter comes back soon! Miss the show so much!

6. Erin says:

It would be nice to have some kind of movie or a few episodes to show what they didn’t like the start of Shield and who she married! She needs one last adventure!

7. Dominique says:

i’m really disappointed netflix decided to pass on this. it’s a fantastic show with an amazing woman and i don’t think that “we want our own brand” or whatever they called it is a good enough reason to let a gem like this go.

8. Butch says:

Agent Carter was the only Marvel TV show I watched. So I guess for me its the DC Universe on the CW for TV and the Marvel Universe at the movies.

• Anne says:

If you enjoyed Carter, you should check out Jessica Jones. I feel like Peggy and Jessica would get along well.

• Trevor says:

Jessica is rude and self centered, Peg might put up with her, but like her? Peggy Carter is all class, more of her and her man servant please!

9. marcus starkey says:

i would watch it ! it wasn’t bad

10. jericho says:

Netflix is wrong to dismiss Agent Carter. It would be a cherry on top of their wonderful Marvel Sundae.

• Wendy says:

But Netflix’s Marvel properties seem a hell of a lot “darker” than Agent Carter. So maybe Netflix doesn’t feel the tone fits. Even if it is the same universe.

• Nichole says:

But that’s the great thing about Netflix Marvel shows, they could take Agent Carter to a whole new level, take what is great about the show and leave some of the cheesy light stuff ABC put in and just run with it. Though the light heartedness of Peggy and Jarvis is fun to watch.

Agent Carter lost the love of her life and we see the start of what becomes SHIELD, it would be great to see her a bit darker over that loss and see what happens to take SSR from a hidden downtown office to the global SHIELD operation we see at the start of the Marvel movies and AOS shows.

If Dominic Cooper had the time, would also love to see how Jarvis turns from a real life person into a voice in the Iron Man movies lol!

11. Lora says:

Please! More Agent Carter!

12. Chris says:

I still wish they would do the idea I read in the comments a while ago where the show had both Agent Carters (Atwell and Van Camp) and the actions of the Agent Carter in the past affected what the current Agent Carter deals with in the present.

13. Unfortunately networks like Ovation that might like this show probably can’t afford it. How about Hallmark Movie Network?

• PatriciaLee says:

You’ve got it! That’s a brilliant suggestion, and so much better than lifetime.

• Alyssa says:

Hallmark would be a terrible fit. So would Lifetime, to be honest. Hallmark is the network of G-rated cookie-cutter romance movies. Their attempts at “thrillers” and “mysteries” are atrocious in every way imaginable. Likewise, although Lifetime is trying to work its way out of the “Movie of the Week” label, it’s still predominantly over-the-top “sexy” “thriller” movies.

The problem with Agent Carter, as I see it, is that it genuinely doesn’t fit into any of these niche markets, which is why it was best on network TV proper. It’s too light to be part of the Netflix corner of the Marvel universe, but too dark for a channel like Hallmark. It doesn’t skew young enough for Freeform. The networks that are embracing period dramas have enough of their own original programming (see: AMC). My personal vote would be for the History Channel or see if Hulu or another streaming service would pick up a Marvel show.

14. Patricia Bess says:

I am a 70 year old woman, and love the series Agent Ca dryer. After the first year it was cancelled, but then I heard it was going to be back. Each week I watched faithfully. Season 2 and the move to California by Peggy seem to me a show I wanted to watch for years. Then came the news that it was cancelled again. What is wrong with you people? Haley Atwell as Agent Carter is a wonderful show, and Peggy Carter is an ideal for the Female Race. Peggy Carter for President! She could project the world even better from the White House. Love You Peggy!

15. Sam Maffei says:

When you meet Hayley, it’s obvious how much she loves “Agent Carter.”! She sees and acknowledges that “Agent Carter”‘s fan base is strong and devoted. We love Peggy too.

It’s pretty apparent that “Agent Carter”‘s demise was more politically motivated than was once thought. Why didn’t ABC tell Marvel TV why they cancelled? Because there was no good answer to be given. Why did the head of Marvel TV allow this story to be told? It’s because he knows it smells fishy too and he doesn’t want the blame to fall on him. That always means “politics.”

16. patrickmaloney33 says:

Please, there is interest in this show from everyone! So just bring it back, ABC!

17. canadian ninja says:

I’d watch Agent Carter wherever she turned up.

Why not junior ABC? Spark or whatever it’s called. They could make a very nice action-espionage thriller that focused more on Peggy and the beginnings of Shield. I liked season two but Whitney Frost would have been a better villain if her weird super powers hadn’t manifested until the very end. Show could have been more about the hollywood setting and that secret evil group of powerful politicians and rich guys.

18. kimberly says:

I hope they chane their minds, my while family love’s agent carter!

19. I don’t understand how there can be such a disconnect between ABC and Marvel TV when they have the same parent company Disney who controls both companies and whose bottom line is effected by their programming decisions.

20. TnyGrl says:

Agents of SHIELD don’t need every single episode, do they? Can’t they flash back for a few episodes and show the start of the agency? Starring Agent Carter?

21. Liz says:

I just Netflix had said yes. I really hope this happens some day. As much as I love Hayley, I don’t have much hope for Conviction. Maybe ABC will change their tune if it doesn’t do well. Agent Carter was my favorite show this year. Sigh.

22. Carrie says:

People want more Agent Carter because she’s such a terrific character. Marvel should give her her own movie. Even a TV movie would be awesome. How about a series of TV movies? Pair them with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and release them to coincide with the big movie releases, like the next Captain America.

23. Diego says:

Yesssss!

24. Katrina says:

It was such a fantastic show.

25. Anne says:

Netflix passes on Carter, but says yes to Iron Fist (an adaptation no one wanted), and renews like 4 terrible shows in one week. Did Jessica Jones just cap them at their ‘Lady Shows’

• Erik says:

Who’s this “no one” you are talking about? Everyone I know is looking forward to iron fist. YOU may not like it. But that doesn’t mean the entire world doesn’t.

• Though I agree with your Lady Shows comment, I really have no problem with Iron Fist! But I do notice that Netflix seems to shy away from doing shows with strong and tough women as leads! I mean sure they have shows with women as the leads of course, but they only have one that is an action type show! The rest are drama or comedies! Obviously I am talking about Jessica Jones! Sure they have some new shows like Happy Valley and Marcella who have pretty strong female leads, but they’re both British shows, and they’re cop shows! There a bit different from something like a Marvel series or other typical action series! Scifi, horror or fantasy, which is what a comic book series is, fantasy! Is different from a show with cops, where it has to stick with only doing stuff that can really happen! And so in that way, Netflix only has one show that is like that, Jessica Jones! That’s why I am loving SYFY these days, they have a bunch of shows with strong lead females now! I mean even some of their older series had good strong female characters! Now they are doing even better! So if you like Scifi and strong female characters, you should check out SYFY’s shows, going back the last 4 or 5 years! Many are on Netflix now!

26. peterwdawson says:

Be cool to have Peggy Carter investigate something in the past that comes back to haunt Sharon Carter in the present. Probably do something like the zero matter. Heck if they didn’t already have plans for it that would be something cool to do with the Infinity Stone of Time, since we’ve got established modern day characters and an established crew in the past.

27. Bark Star says:

Unfortunately they dont just have to say “We want a two-hour Agent Carter for May 2017”. They have to say “We want a two-hour Agent Carter for May 2017 AND WE WILL PAY FOR IT”

Shame, I would really love to see more Agent Carter.

28. Kelly says:

I love Agent Carter, they definitely should bring it back. There is so much story to be told and I mi9ss Jarvis also!I don’t know how a show like Agents of Shield can go on and not Agent Carter. I know some like AOS but man, Agent Carter is so much better IMHO. I quit watching AOS. The stories are getting tiresome, they got rid of Mockingbird and Nick (the best people on the show) and for the love of God, get rid of Skye/Daisy or whatever her damn name is, she is sooooo annoying. Lets face it, she can’t act.I do love me some Phil Coulson through.

29. bj says:

I’d definitely love more Agent Carter!

30. rinaex says:

It’s not going to happen. Loeb was pretty much being polite, but it’s pretty clear no one wants to pay for a new season because they don’t feel its worth the investment.

31. Bama girl says:

I would love to see a revival of the show. Or a two hour movie. Whichever would get it done!

32. MrMank says:

Look, if it’s over, it’s over. Would I love to see more? Absolutely!! I am very happy with what they produced so far, up to and including her death in “Civil War”. Peggy Carter, and her tragic love story with Steve Rogers, was my favorite part of the Marvel Universe. For so much of that, I credit the amazing Hayley Atwell. Thank you for giving us a character with class, humor, and heart. I’m looking forward to your next show, but the marriage between actor and character in Agent Carter was just magical.

33. Jesse Trowbridge says:

Well it seems to me that there are A LOT of fans that want to see it revived, myself included. So why wouldn’t any station want it?
    There was a petition, tins of posts on Social Media, lots of articles written about people wanting to bring it bck, if only for a 2hr tv movie to properly send it off.
    I mean it could only serve to help whatever station chooses to do it.

34. I guess the real question is why doesn’t Marvel has his own TV network? Especially now that it is owned by Disney.

35. Why the hell doesn’t Netflix take it? Instead of putting on so many really stupid shows, that I have to pay for, when I don’t want to watch it! I would like this on there, I like all the Marvel shows, and would love to see Agent Carter go on, as a series though, not just as a one off movie! I mean I don’t want Fuller House or Wet Hot American Summer the series or The Get Down, which I thought I would like, but turned out to be crap! Just bad acting and bad writing! The comedies aren’t funny either! I like Grace And Frankie and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, those are the only so-called original comedies they have I like! They do better on the drama’s/horror/action shows! But would it really hurt to add Agent Carter? No!