Wayward Pines Season 2 Ratings

Wayward Pines Has 'Really Compelling' Season 3 Plan, But No Renewal Yet

“I definitely think there could be a Season 3.” That’s the word from Fox Television Group co-chairman/CEO Dana Walden, when asked to survey the future of (relative) summertime hit Wayward Pines, which recently wrapped its (unexpected) sophomore run.

Though the supernatural drama, which exhausted its source material with Season 1, “struggled” in the ratings the second time around, “It’s still the No. 1 scripted show of the summer,” Walden noted on Monday after her appearance at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

Wayward Pines this season averaged 2.4 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating in Live+Same Day ratings, versus its freshman run’s 3.8 mil/1.1. But with DVR playback, the Season 2 finale numbers, for example, swelled more than 50 percent, from 2.2 mil/0.7 to 3.5 mil/1.1. As such, Fox is waiting for a more complete picture before ruling on the series’ fate.

“We don’t know yet what we’re going to find when the multi-platform numbers roll up, ultimately how big that audience [can be],” Walden said.

Addressing Wayward‘s creative meandering this season, working as it was from scratch with no novels to serve as a guide, “I think I’m sharing a point of view of [executive producer M. Night Shyamalan]’s – the first couple episodes were trying to find their way, in a reset. But by the third episode on, it really hit its stride.”

As for that possible renewal, Walden said the producers “have a really compelling for Season 3 that I liked very much. We’re definitely talking about the show right now.”

1. KLS says:

I don’t know how I feel about this. S2 was a mess, but ended way better then it started. At least they admitted they had issues with 2×01-2×03. If it came back for Summer 2017, I would probably watch it.

2. hello says:

Ugh, i hate it when a show ends its season and then we don’t know if it is renewed or not until weeks or even months later

3. I thought season 2’s problems went beyond the first couple of episodes and I think they’ve killed off too many characters for me to consider coming back for round 3.

4. N says:

I’d watch

5. tjchurch2001 says:

Season 2 looked great in its premiere, when it used the son’s “revolt” to connect to Season 1, but killing him almost from Episode 2 & the new doctor’s storyline with no connect to the prior season (books or not) was a sign that Season 2 should be the end.

6. ibjbyron says:

I think they left off with a great opportunity to see what happens next: How far into the future will they wake? What has transpired since? Might there be interim attempts at waking, only to find that enough time hadn’t yet passed…? Lots of great possibilities, let’s see where the story goes!

7. Helene McCmbo says:

Great show! Please bring it back

8. Trinity says:

Please bring Wayward Pines back for season 3!

9. RedReddington says:

Yes yes yes. I’m all for a 3rd season.

10. ddferrari says:

I’d like to see what the future holds when the town wakes up. It’s one of the few shows that I watch and a big part of that is the really good acting. I do wish they’d stop killing off main characters at such a rapid pace. Bring it back!

11. Dizzle says:

Even a mediocre episode of Wayward Pines is still more interesting, darkly-humorous, and engaging than most network scripted shows. It’s not a perfect show by any stretch, and I really hope they wouldn’t end another year with a “everyone back in the pods, reset!” ending, but I’d be all in for a season 3 if Fox renew it!

12. Amy says:

Yes, please renew Wayward Pines. It’s a great summer show!

13. Jose says:

The story line really matured in season 2 and what a finale. Where it goes now I really want to know

14. Vítor Machado says:

An amazing series, with a superb second season such as Wayward Pines, well deserve a third round. It is definitely one of the best tv series of the current decade.

15. Michelle says:

What an interesting take on “the end of the world”. I have very much enjoyed these seasons, I hate to think they’ll stop here.

16. Dawn Hardin says:

Season 2 was even better than the first!

17. Abbie says:

Bring it back! I want a season 3!!

18. suzanne Miller says:

Awesome show! Please bring it back

19. Jenny says:

Bring it back!! I can hardly wait!!!

20. Tammie Newth says:

I loved season 1 and wasn’t initially sure about season 2, but absolutely loved if. I think they achieved a good mix of following on from the initial storyline and developing its own identity whilst staying true to the context. I feel the ending allowed a natural progression for a season 3 and I for one cannot wait. Well done, fabulous programme which has not followed the usual inane programmes…….Loved it x

21. Norma says:

If Fox doesn’t want to pick it back up, someone call Netflix! This show is great and a season 3 would be awesome!

22. John says:

What would be the point of a season 3.
    If it fails we won’t get a proper ending (again)
    If it is a success we’ll get a season 4 (with again no ending)
    This is what US programing has become, more about money than customer satisfaction.

23. Denise Hunter says:

Definitely need to do season 3 show is amazing and you can’t leave us hanging not knowing what happens to the people of Wayward Pines cause that would be so unfair😯😯😯

24. A lones says:

Great show!!

25. Bryan Mark says:

I would like to see a season 3 for the sake of a resolution to the storyline. Season 2 left the door wide open, but the loss of key characters leaves the path through that door really narrow. If the writing team up to the challenge of presenting a satisfactory conclusion to the disaster that was season2? Let’s find out. Season 3 please.

26. Vicki Madden says:

Really the show and will be very disappointed if they do not extend it to a third season.

27. W0LFsRAGE says:

Would really like to see a Season 3, just binge watched 1 & 2 on Netflix. TV providers need to update their methods of determining the success of a show to include streaming, not just same day broadcast viewing.

Would be interesting to see how much further the “Abbies” develop going further forward in time.

• dixta says:

Great concept and would be very interesting to take it thousands of years forward. HG Wells Time Machine postulated a version of the distant future and WP can be a modern classic if they throw enough talent at a third season / feature film.

28. Dottie Tubb says:

YES…PLEASE…!!!!!!

29. Jim Fleming says:

After a shaky start, Wayward Pines series 2 really picked up as it went on. It almost seems like the writers weren’t sure where they were going with it at the start but the last few episodes were particularly strong and set up some fascinating possibilities for a third season.

30. Diana says:

I am certainly waiting for serries 3 to be made ,you have to give us an ending to this story!!!

31. William says:

Fox. Renew show it is honestly the best show I’ve ever watched in my entire life and would do anything to get it back on TV please renew wayward Pines

32. Bryan Nelson says:

This is a great show! I will watch the 3rd season for sure! Please finish the story.

33. jacqueline ferreiras says:

Please bring Wayward Pines back you can’t leave it that way……………………..Come on !!!!!!!

34. TC says:

Of course this show should continue! It’s great! I’m patiently waiting for it, so it better be renewed!! I don’t watch much t.v., most of it is garbage, but this is one show I got hooked on. Don’t leave me hangin’!

35. Darren Amos says:

Don’t be like many other series and leave the fans wondering what happened to the ones left in in cryogenic chambers , make one more superb season then finish it properly .. You owe it to the fans who have surported you and all the hard work made in the 1st two seasons .. I look at other series that didn’t come back and just think what a waist of time ( if you pardon the pun )

• TJ. Church says:

I might agree with what they owe the fans who watched the first two seasons, except that I stopped watching a few episodes into Season 2 due to them killing-off the one storyline I felt they were doing that gave Season 2 any connection to the characters & happenings of Season 1.

36. Jay says:

Personally, I want to see a third and final season to wrap things up. I’m a firm believer in ending shows before they get bad, and obviously now the show is running on imagination since there are no more books. I think an end for the story and over all Wayward Pines world is in need. I also think that with how it’s looking, the situation I mean, it’s best that they give it a third and final planned season as opposed to later on have it end completely out of nowhere with a million questions, plot holes and cliffhangers, as so many shows sadly end with. Especially some shows that are half way aired and the network ends it abruptly without even airing the episodes that are left of that season.

37. Ken says:

i was on board with season 2.. until.. the forcing of 12 and 13 year old young girls to produce offspring .. it’s simply disgusting, m night shyamalan and fox should be indicted for making it appear feasible, to rape children … DISGUSTING ,, DID YOU PEOPLE MISS THAT??

• Gina and Rob says:

It’s the end of the world and civilization as we know it. There were a LOT of shocking developments in this show not just the age breading but the INbreading, the gratuitous killings, the wife sharing, other stuff. That’s part of what kept me on the edge of my seat and made it worth watching.
      Back In ancient times children were married off as normal course of civilization began. Even TODAY young brides are betrothed in some African countries and many others. What you see as rape many countries see as normal tradition. Just sayin’.
      I did not get the impression that they were promoting this lifestyle, in fact they seemed to have reservations about doing it, but had to face the reality of their survival.
      I try not to be so sensitive to issues that take place out of the context of our reality. I see your point, for sure, but I think it is also not so relevant here.

38. Venecia arias says:

Please bring back waywood pine is the best show that fox has created next to Gotham. I dream with this episole.it my favorite

39. love the show says:

Wayward Pines is a hit and it needs to continue with season 3,4,5 and beyond. Please do not cancel the show it’s really good the acting was great the script and story line are excellent and the scenery is great. The show is a keeper, please don’t cancel its syfi at its best.

40. david mayotte says:

Get it done please

41. David Gridley says:

Would be interesting if they awoke in the future to find Earth had been populated by aliens.

42. Kim says:

Please put season 3 on please

43. JSJ says:

make this the last season and end it with a better story without confusion to your viewers. PLEASE.

44. James Speed says:

They need to pull the writers together and get a storyline going foward so that they are not bouncing off the walls in various directions.

45. Yesica amaya says:

Please make season 3 happen please I watched both season in 2 days

46. maryrose browell says:

pls make a 3rd so fantastic can live with not known

47. Rose-Marie Parr says:

I would like to see a final season. Most of us hate unfinished series.

48. Stephanie says:

A PLEA FOR SEASON 3!!!I loved season 1 and while season 2
    started with a shaky vision I think it came together and showed that it definitely has a future, or should have a future with renewal. PLEASE bring this great show back! While it may have had its problems, it was still a better show that 90% of what’s out there now….and I think most would agree. We need to keep GOOD television going. Make a statement at least so I can stop going to iTunes only to be disappointed. Season 3 and even 4 are a MUST!! Please don’t let it be yet another show we get hooked on only to have it torn away from us!! SEASON 3 PLEA!!! For Gods sake…how long can Pretty Little Liars run while this is set adrift?!

49. Bonnie says:

This is the best show Fox has ever offered! So addicting and oh so few episodes, therein lies the only problem. Has to be renewed FOREVER!

50. Lori says:

I would watch, just give it some twists and turns to keep us interested in their future or end…