Olympics 2016 Lily Kane Gold Medal Best Moments

Olympics 2016: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Day 3 of the Rio Games?

That Lily King finger wag the other night? Turns out it was actually a prophecy, because she’s now certifiably Number 1.

The American swimmer, who made headlines over the weekend for publicly calling out Russian rival Yulia Efimova’s history of using performance-enhancing substances, had the definitive last word by nabbing first place in the 100-meter breaststroke at the Summer Olympics.

The win — which clocked in at 1:04.93, breaking an Olympic record —  earned King a gold medal. Efimova’s 1:05.50 nabbed her the silver, while King’s teammate Katie Meili took bronze in 1.05.69.

Efimova previously served a 16-month doping suspension and tested positive earlier this year for meldonium, which is now banned in the sport.

The 19-year-old King was far from Efimova’s biggest critic at the games; the Rio crowd heartily booed the Russian swimmer whenever her name was announced.

Here are some other buzzed-about moments from Day 3 of the Rio games:

* Brazilian Rafaela Silva took home the gold in judo, earning her country’s first gold in the 2016 games.

* Fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad became the first American athlete to compete in the Olympics wearing a hijab, or traditional headscarf.

* The U.S. won gold in the men’s 100-meter backstroke — its sixth straight in the event — thanks to Ryan Murphy’s 51.97-second swim.

* Tennis player Novak Djokovic lost in doubles, a day after he lost in singles, meaning he’s now out of the 2016 games.

* American swimmer Missy Franklin had a disappointing semifinal heat in the 200-meter freestyle, coming in 13th out of 16 athletes and failing to qualify for the finals.

What was your favorite moment of this day of Olympic competition? What are you most looking forward to in the games? Let us know in the comments!

1. Bwhit says:

1) Lily King being all talk and all action!
    2) Michael Phelps’s face in the ready room and Le Clos continually looking over at him, even during the race and Michael wouldn’t even acknowledge him. It reminded me of a certain Mean Girls line ‘why are you so obsessed with me?’….. I’m hoping Michael can reclaim his top spot in the 200 fly!

• wrstlgirl says:

They were having way to much fun with Phelps and Le Clos and I have to admit I was cracking up. Please let Michael best him tomorrow night. The thing that irritates me with these broadcasts is you don’t know what time the event happens. I hate having to watch almost the entire thing. Do you know a more precise schedule??

• wgsecretary says:

I was loving the whole Phelps Le Clos thing. I’m so glad Phelps came in before him in the race. I just hope Phelps takes gold and shuts him up for good in the finals!

2. Sara says:

I really loved watching the US Men’s Gymnastic team. Yes, they lost. But they showed such fight and showcased the Olympic spirit while trying to comeback from their poor first rotation.

Also, Lily King made quite the statement in the pool to back up what she said yesterday. Loved that Katie Meili got a bronze in that race, too!

And of course, Murphy and Plummer taking gold and bronze in the back was fantastic as well!

I also loved that Tom Daley and Dan Goodfellow managed to medal and got the Bronze for synchro platform. It was so great to see how excited they were when they saw they had won the bronze!

3. Daya says:

Sad Ibtihaj didn’t make it past the sweet sixteen, but I heard she would probably fare better in team sabre anyway. *fingers crossed*

4. Chrissy says:

1. Kerri Walsh-Jennings and April Ross absolutely dominating the sand volleyball court against China.
    2. Even though the men’s gymnastics team didn’t perform well in their first few events, the enthusiasm they showed for the rest of their performances was adorable.
    3. The Phelps/Le Clos rivalry.
    4. I love seeing how proud the parents get when their child wins a medal. Ryan Murphy’s parents looked so proud of their son!
    5. The synchronized men’s diving was fun to watch, too!

5. BillyBobJohnson says:

Lily King sticking it to the doped-up Russian. King deserves kudos for being consistent. When asked last night about an American male swimmer at the Olympics who was caught doping twice, she said all people caught doping should be banned from the Olympics.

• Otis says:

The person she was asked about was an American sprinter (I believe it was Justin Gatlin), not a swimmer. But, as you were saying, she is being consistent no matter the country

• Skeptic says:

R you ready to bet ur balls boyo that Lil hasn’t taken anything prohibited in her life?
      She just 1 . Hasn’t been cought. 2 has a big mouth.

6. cinwind says:

The USA Women’s Indoor Volleyball team came back from a 2-1 deficit to beat the Netherlands! One of the best matches, Alisha Glass and Kim Hall were outstanding. Some of the best, nail-biting rallies I’ve ever seen! Kudos!!

7. A fan of TV says:

Lilly King worked her butt off to make sure she put her money where her mouth is with Yulia Efimova, calling her out in the press constantly for doping before the race. You could see the effort in her strokes and the joy when it all properly paid off, so that was pretty cool. My favorite moments yesterday were the rugby 7s finals, and Canada’s awesome last-qtr comeback against Serbia in basketball. Love those 3s!

8. A fan of TV says:

Least favourite is the focus on cupping. No one’s cares enough about cupping to watch so much on NBC about cupping!

9. emmyloser says:

I was pretty happy when they finally started showing some goddam gymnastics (at 11:40!!) like they said they were going to.

10. Mollytanner says:

I would’ve liked to see the gymnastics routines of non-Americans, instead of “highlights” of routines. I don’t know when they started dropping those. I feel like previous Olympics we saw the entirety of the competition.