Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce Cancelled at Bravo, Season 5 to Be Its Last

Just like Abby and Jake’s conscious uncoupling, Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce‘s recent three-season renewal is turning out to be a bittersweet affair: The Bravo series’ fifth season will be its final one, per The Hollywood Reporter.

The upcoming third through fifth seasons will consist of 19 episodes total, which the series will film during the next nine months; Season 3 will be seven episodes long, while Seasons 4 and 5 will have six episodes each.

The network plans to separate the seasons with shorter-than-normal windows of time.

Girlfriends’ wrapped its second season in February with an average 660,000 weekly total viewers and a 0.3 demo rating, down just a bit from its freshman run and ending on a high note, with 765,000 viewers. The scripted dramedy — the network’s first — has helped establish Bravo as a destination for more than reality shows.

The series recently promoted Retta (Parks and Recreation) to series regular for the remaining three seasons.

Are you bummed to hear that Abby & Co. won’t be around past Season 5? Sound off in the comments!

1. Sam says:

This pretty much sounds like they want to take back the three-season renewal. Some cable shows have had extra-long final seasons (Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc.) that are split up, but Bravo decided instead to renew for three really short ones? Why not just call it one season?

2. KLS says:

And here i thought that the cast was sitting pretty for 3 more seasons which would have been a rarity for TV. 3 seasons into 19 episodes within 9 months. Just goes to show announcements and contracts mean nothing until the check clears.

3. Jim Jameson says:

Weird…

4. Steven says:

So essentially 1 season with 19 episodes. Dumb.

5. E says:

I’m bummed because I really enjoyed season 1. But the season 2 storylines got way too soapy and outlandish to hold my attention for much longer.

6. I think 19 episode is enough to wrap up Abby’s story.

7. Et al. says:

I hope this was the blind item and not Devious Maids.

8. webly3 says:

I might be the only one, but I think this is a smart, strategic plan for the show. I’m excited for Marti Noxon and all others associated with the show. (also this will free up the fantastic cast for other acting jobs)

• johnhelvete says:

Reading the other articles about this, it does appear that there was a plan for 5 seasons and the show is simply doing shorter seasons than 10-13 episodes. With the added wrinkle of filming the three seasons back to back (with small breaks), which does free up the cast instead of having a three year commitment to film the episodes.

9. HAP says:

Always enjoyed the show, and loved Alanna Ubach’s character Jo.

10. Claire says:

It´s a great way to go. This show doesn´t need more than 19 episodes to wrap up all the storylines. Season 1 was great, focused on Abby (Lisa Edelstein is an amazing actress) but season 2 went a little downhill. There was too much focus on Delia and the writers kind of sacrificed the character of Abby, turning her into someone hard to retale to. Now they have the chance of bringing back what made the show so good in the first season and end it in a high note. I can´t wait for it.

• Rina says:

But I love Delia!! I actually like that they told us more about the other characters. Im gonna miss the show tho thats for sure

11. Jared says:

This makes zero sense. Just take back the renewal and cancel it instead because that’s clearly what is happening here.

• Claire says:

This was the plan since they renewed it. Three shorter seasons to be shot in a few months to let the cast go. I don´t get why people are surprised.

• Katie says:

Sounds like they changed their mind to me. Basically it’s cancelled after 3 seasons. It went downhill quick in season 2. Shame Janeane left in season 1, best character/actress on the show by far.

12. Bernadette says:

Damn this blows…. I love GGTD!

13. Hayley says:

I’m so upset!!! This is my favorite show. Glad I will get 3 more short seasons, but I’m definitely disappointed

14. Stephen Ray says:

The Boss-Man or Boss Lady that decided this want be around very long , and I’m glad :) Sure viewership may be down but heck they are so many TV-Networks and shows now everything will be down from now !!!! I am a very young looking 55 year young man an I loved this show , I love Abby ( or Lisa ) and could relate to her and the show ….. But as always some idiot thinks they always know better :(

15. Mary Burden says:

I am so bummed. I really love this show, even though the women looked too damn great. Please bring it back, I do enjoyed it,

16. Linda Levi e says:

I have been searching for the new season date only to find out after reading it was renewed for a few more seasons now you have opted to cancel it . Well at least tie ends up and give us some sort of ending
    Really really disappointed

17. Lindsay Jackson says:

Whhhhhy?!? Its so catching and great actors. I feel like FX is doing a knock off version with Better Thibgs and they are just not getting it right. I hope another entity like NETFLIX picks it back up. So bummed.

18. Rosemary Martinez says:

Love this show so much!! I am very sad that it’s going to be over so soon!

19. Kim says:

Very upset over them canceling

20. Yvie says:

Oh crap! I was just looking to find when the new season will start up again. I really like this show. Oh, well. Next!

21. Kathy says:

GG2D is witty, exciting, addictive, smart and fun. The characters are well scripted and believable I have introduced a women’s group to seasons 1 and 2 and they can’t wait for season 3! Bravo needs to advertise this series and get a better marketing campaign going. Everyone who watches this gets hooked! Countless people don’t know this show even exists. Get it out there, get it on Netflix and target women. Promote this show and you will have 7 more seasons!

22. Bummer dude. So when is it back on Bravo? Do we have to wait til January?

23. Tamara Cain says:

Please don’t cancel this series, I have encouraged several of my friends to binge watch on Netflix to get caught up for this season, I can’t wait for it to start, I have really enjoyed this program. PLLLLLLLEEASE !!!! don’t cancel this show

24. Diana says:

How come everytime you create a new show and it turns out to be good Nad people are really enjoying . You all discontinued everything . I am so sick and tired of watching realities show. At least this has some truth in our life . I wish you would keep it going .p

25. Minh says:

Nnnnooooi!!!! I really enjoyed the dynamic of these four ladies on this show! It’s a way better version of sex in the city! Don’t take it away!

26. Bebe says:

Noooo Bravo!! I love this show. Very disappointed to here the show was cancelled!

27. Diane says:

Sad that they are cancelling GGTD. I totally enjoyed it. Maybe they will reconsider…

28. Diane says:

I rather enjoyed GGTD. Sorry to see it go. Maybe they will reconsider once they see the outpouring of posts….

29. Lisa McLay says:

I am SO bummed that this show has been cancelled….I LOVE IT!!
    Please bring it back!! If not I really hope another network picks it up :(

30. Toby Ray says:

I have enjoyed this show SO much and have really fell in love with the characters. Every season makes me feel like I know everyone better, flaws and all. This show will be missed however I am really looking forward to the next two seasons!!

31. Anne says:

So bummed!!! I LOVE this show!

32. Kimberly says:

I adore this show! Why?! I am super bummed but at least we have two more seasons to help with our fix.:)

33. Carol Boerio says:

Sad so few shows for us single girls to watch

34. Cheryl says:

My new favorite binge watch on Netflix! Bummed to read that Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce is being canceled.

35. Rosalie shore says:

Bummed about girlfriends guide to divorce, and notorious, and mistresses being canceled. not that anyone asked,, oh and Bates motel. I hope billions continues, homeland too

36. Michael says:

No no no.. I love this show!! Please do not cancel

37. Mkd says:

This is so disappointing I was shocked to learn last night was the season finale it sounds like Bravo is unnneccesariky breaking up the seasons into little short ones which doesn’t help with viewers to get addicted to the show! After watching season 1 after it aired on Netflix I was hooked. And couldn’t wait for season 2 and then season 3 but I cannot express myself how mad I am that’s it. I’m like really?? This seasons finally getting really good and am so bummed I’m just going to have to wait until next season for more! It gets confusing ppl miss premium times especially if you don’t watch tv and the air night has changed do much. It’s not the show that’s loosing viewers!!! It’s the way you’re making us wait!

38. Kathy Hudson says:

GG2D is a GREAT show!! It needs more exposure. It’s beyond me how it could be cancelled. The cast is perfection and the writing is great. The show is a modern day Sex in the City. I cannot believe Bravo wouldn’t run with this for years to come!!! We need regular 19 episode seasons. Come on!!!!!

39. Anne says:

I just discovered Girlfriends Guide and binged the first two seasons. Please keep it going. It’s a more mature Sex and the City

40. Ame Maes says:

I am so disappointed and SAD that the series will be ending after Season 5. This was my FAVORITE program & looked forward to watching every episode! I absolutely LOVE this show: the best!! Please let us know how we can stay updated on Abby & crew. Booohoo!

41. Kristina says:

Love. Love. Love this show. So sad to hear that another show with great writing is being cancelled. I will miss this show,

• BONNIE NEVINS says:

This is to bad because it was one of my favourtie shows also. I guess there wasn’t enough killing, violence and blood in it ….those shows seem to go on forever….
      I hope they reconsider and bring it back…….so many of us can relate to it and enjoy a good laugh…….

42. Rina says:

Yess im upset! 😩 like why are they making it so short!!??

43. Jack Austin says:

GGTD is a great show I hate to see it go. Probably needs more exposure I guess. Been watching Alanna Ubach since Beakman’s World great acting. Great looking woman.

44. Rose says:

This SUX!
    Really enjoyed GGTD everyone’s characters are great!
    Hope you change your mind and
    Continue with more season’s
    Always anticipating the next season
    Great story lines.

45. Crystal says:

I just recently discovered the Girlfriends Guide series and ended up binge watching all 3 seasons which I never do. I can’t wait for season 4 and would love to see it continue on!

46. Nancy says:

I love Girlfriends Guide to Divorce, never miss it and my husband likes it too and watches it with me. Please reconsider renewing it, and do a better job promoting it. That is the problem, not the acting, or writing, which are all really good.