Olympics 2016 Women's Soccer United States New Zealand

Olympics 2016: What Was Your Favorite Moment From Rio's Unofficial Day 1?

Full confession, right up front: I don’t know much about women’s soccer, and I’ve definitely never played it. In fact, my entire soccer education comes directly (and only) from repeated viewings of Bend It Like Beckham.

And while that means I can bust out a very accurate recreation of Jonathan Rhys Meyers’ white-guy dance whenever “I Turn to You” comes on my iPod, it doesn’t make me the best-qualified person to bring you a play-by-play of the first official — though pre-Opening Ceremonies — day of the 2016 Summer Olympics.

But you don’t need to have even a passing interest in the sport to appreciate the grin that lit up Carli Lloyd’s face the moment she sent the ball sailing into the back of the New Zealand team’s net to earn the United States its first goal in the games.

Lloyd’s visible enthusiasm as she and teammate Allie Long embraced following the moment was a jolt of pure joy that — I hope — will become emblematic of the games on the whole. (The Belo Horizonte crowd booing teammate Hope Solo, possibly over her Zika tweets? Less so.) Later, Team USA’s Alex Morgan logged the match’s only other goal; the U.S. eventually won 2-0.

Here are some other highlights from the all-women’s-soccer Day -2 (yeah, I know) of the Rio games:

* Sweden bested South Africa, 1-0.

* Canada won its match against Australia, 2-0, with Janine Beckie scoring a goal roughly 20 seconds after the game began — the fastest Olympic goal ever recorded.

* Brazil, with the support of a fervent home-team crowd, defeated China 3-0.

What was your favorite moment of this day of Olympic competition? What are you most looking forward to in the games? Let us know in the comments!

1. Bwhit says:

I watched it because I’m so excited for the Olympics but I’m like you, I have no idea about the rules of soccer. After the US match was over, I loved the Michael Phelps interview… As someone who’s followed him since 2000, I got emotional seeing how far he’s come, so I’m most excited to see he and Lochte go at it one more time than watch them both pass the torch to the younger generation of swimming. I just love the games!

2. Nonyyy says:

Tobin Heath. That’s all you need to know.

3. Ben says:

My favourite moment? That I come to my favourite TV website and see a New Zealand athlete pictured. That’s kind of neat.

4. kitsunesaru says:

Another Olympic record in the Can v Aus match: fastest red card at 19min.
    Was a pretty awesome game. Very exciting!

• canadian ninja says:

Kinda glad we (that’s the royal we) didn’t score on the penalty, since it was a bogus call on the Aussie’s.

• kitsunesaru says:

Yeah really. Like I get why it was called, a lot of bodies and hands were flying around, but replay seemed to show no hand ball. So I was like “oh good she missed now there’s no controversy” hahaha

• sissyfritz says:

Without a doubt the most entertaining game of the day. Makes me look forward to the rest of the Games in a way I’m not sure I was in the weeks leading up to their start.

5. Júlia says:

Since I have no illusions about a Olympic medal for the male soccer team since the 2014 World Cup disaster, I hope we can count on the women’s team to give us some much needed soccer happiness. I really need a little soccer happiness. It’s been so long.

• Greg Cantin says:

Especially since we do not have a men’s team in the Olympics.

• Bwhit says:

Wow…. Just looked that up, how is that not a bigger story?!?

• Cory Evans says:

FIFA didn’t want the Olympics to compete with the World Cup. So there are age restrictions on the players each national team fields. There have been many iterations of who is allowed to play. However, the current age makeup of the team that has been in effect since 1996, requires that all the players be younger than 23 except for 3 members which can be senior players.

So in essence, this isn’t our senior national team not making it to the Olympics. This age restriction, however, does not apply to the women’s teams. Shows you how they feel about the skill level and legitimacy of the women’s game…

6. A fan of TV says:

Canada beating a higher ranked team a man down for most of the game because of a red card, without their top keeper because of injury, but still recording a shut out.

• kitsunesaru says:

It was a very exciting game. Matildas had 22 shots (12 on goal), to the Canadians 8 (4og). Great defending and great goal keeping by Labbé. Though when you’re 10 players for the majority of the match, leading by one goal, they usually start defending more than attacking anyway.

7. Phun says:

The victory of the Women’s Soccer was a great way to start. Go team USA!

8. Catherine says:

.oO(Who cares about soccer??)