Post Mortems
Baby Daddy Riley Pregnant

Baby Daddy Finale: EP Talks Ben's Mystery Girl, What's Next for Riley

Who’s ready for double the Baby Daddy in Season 6?

In the final moments of Wednesday’s finale, which presented a plethora of new paths for the whole gang, Riley dropped a massive bombshell on Danny: She’s pregnant! Meanwhile, Tucker landed a huge on-camera gig in Los Angeles, Bonnie reunited with her globe-trotting husband and Ben (almost) met the girl of his dreams in Elle (played by Katie Gill).

TVLine spoke with showrunner Dan Berendsen about the finale’s biggest surprises — including the alternate ending we didn’t see — and what the future holds for the entire Baby Daddy gang in Season 6.

TVLINE | So, Danny’s the new Baby Daddy, huh?
[Laughs] Yes! When we started the season, I told you the whole Danny/Riley conflict would resolve itself, and I think it’s safe to say it’s been resolved.

TVLINE | Last week, Danny was freaked out by the idea of Riley being pregnant. Has his attitude changed?
I think, like any man, he’ll be a little bit of a wreck. But in that other episode, he was also the first person to tell Riley he’d be there for her and the baby; you can tell what kind of a father he’s going to be. Danny lives up to this responsibilities.

TVLINE | That’s going to be a huge baby.
[Laughs] I know, I’m already feeling bad for Chelsea [Kane]. That’s not going to be a subtle baby bump.

TVLINE | Riley’s a pretty traditional girl. Is she going to want to get married before she has the baby?
It will definitely be a conversation. We’ll definitely visit that next season.

TVLINE | Was the point of last week’s triple pregnancy scare just to throw us off Riley’s trail?
We did that for a few reasons. Yes, we wanted there to be a little bit of a complication, but we also didn’t want to spring [Riley’s pregnancy] on the audience out of nowhere. What we really wanted to do was somehow connect Emma to it; as you know, the only reason Riley is pregnant is because Emma poked all those holes in the condoms. You can basically say this baby was Emma’s fault.

TVLINE | That episode also saw the end of Sam and Ben, which was a bummer. Have we seen the last of Sam? I really like her.
We really like her, too. There’s a chance she could be back, but I also like the idea that Ben is really growing up. No matter how nice and beautiful a girl may be, his first priority is always Emma now. Once he heard those words, there was nothing he could do about it. He can’t be with a woman who’s going to think of Emma as an afterthought.

TVLINE | And what can you tell us about “Elle”?
You will see her again next season, but I won’t tell you when. She’ll definitely show up. It sort of gives Ben a little quest. Also, coming off of Sam, Ben wasn’t sure if there was anyone right for him out there. Sometimes it just takes seeing someone and saying, “Wait, who are you?” They both had that feeling when they saw each other, which I liked. It was our nod to romantic comedies.

TVLINE | Danny and Tucker both had opportunities outside of New York. Can you say who’s staying and who’s going?
That’s something you’ll have to wait and see. We wanted to leave things open-ended. At the time, we didn’t know if we’d have a sixth season, so we shot a few alternate endings.

TVLINE | Can you say what happened in any of these alternate endings?
In our alternate ending, instead of Ben getting out of that cab at the end, his mystery girl got into the cab. You saw them drive off together, which was a way to end the show with the audience knowing that Emma and Ben would both be OK.

TVLINE | And I imagine there will be some sort of time jump…?
Yeah, I expect so. We normally come back on a big cliffhanger, but I think there will be a little bit of a time jump here. We’ve been off longer than we normally are, too, so people have gotten a little bit older. I don’t think it’ll be massive, but it won’t be the next day.

TVLINE | Lastly, I’m glad Bonnie and Brad reunited. What’s next for them?
We haven’t completely figured out where Bonnie and Brad are going. … It’s such an odd relationship, but I love how they’ve developed. I’ve never seen a married couple quite like those two.

Your thoughts on the Baby Daddy finale? Hopes for Season 6? Grade this week’s episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. klutzy_girl (@klutzy_girl) says:

I knew it! All that foreshadowing and build up to Riley’s pregnancy was A+, especially since I’m so sick of the one episode surprise we normally get. Cannot wait for next season!

2. Patrick says:

Riley and Danny would be their own pretty good show IMO.

3. Michael says:

Great episode. Excited for season 6!!

4. Claudia says:

Loved loved loved the last episode. So excited for next season wish it was here already!!! #dannyandriley4ever

5. Joey Padron says:

Good season finale episode. It’s great Danny and Riley will be parents. Good to have Bonnie and Brad reunited. Glad Tucker got a big job. Good to know the name of mystery girl Ben ran into a few times. Good she’ll be back next season. Can’t wait for next season!

6. Maria Lanzillotta says:

Can’t wait till season 6 so glad Riley’s pregnant by D a many lo e them together please don’t take Bonnie or Tucker off they make most of t he comedy lo e them.love the whole cast

7. Jaimie says:

Am I the only one who still wants Ben and Riley together lol

• Alex Allgood says:

I would LOVE that!

• Monica says:

I would love for Riley and Ben to get back together. They should of had Danny and Sam as a couple and Ben and Riley. Then Emma could have a baby brother or sister. I can’t picture Danny as a father. I used to really love this show. I will still watch it in hopes of Ben and Riley getting back together but that might be difficult to do now.

• Alana says:

Lol, no your not the only one. I liked them together as a couple. Plus she would be a great step mom to emma. I still can’t bring myself to ship Danny and Riley together

• Bwhit says:

Nope you’re not, that is why I only check in periodically with the show, it’s never going to happen now unfortunately.

• Asia says:

I gave up on the show when they started hinting at the love triangle. I hate love triangles in general but love triangle between siblings have that extra ick factor that can’t tolerate. So I figured I jump ship before everyone became unlikeable avoid watching the writers painfully drag this storyline out. But yes, when I was watching I definitely wanted Ben and Riley together.

• Rain says:

I don’t see the appeal of them at all. Ben and Riley were so boring together and his love for Riley felt so disposable. He is always chasing some girl.

• skimpole says:

Well I think the opposite. Far from chasing other women, Ben was clearly falling more and more in love with Riley. If all he wanted was sex, he would have stopped pursuing her. (Just as he wouldn’t have left Sam in his bed, or not broke up with her over her lack of interest in children.) He was clearly becoming a better person and he would have made the effort to be a better boyfriend and a better husband, just as he was making the effort to be a better father. And his situation is heart breaking. Riley ultimately knows he loves her and that he can become a better person. Yet she chooses his hotter, stupider brother without telling him her feelings because…that’s what the audience wants? As a love story Danny and Riley are not very compelling. This is a relationship that takes so long because he is so passive and she’s in love with someone else.

• Rain says:

There is always some girl Ben is after. If it isn’t Riley there is someone else. Ben even said himself that he was going to stop chasing women so it’s canon that he does. I never felt that Riley was the one for him, it’s too easy for him to focus his attention to the next one. I don’t see anything compelling about Ben and Riley.

• Rain says:

I can tell that you’re long-winded from reading your other comments so I will tell you right now that I have no interest in having any long-ass discussion about ths. Ben and Riley just doesn’t appeal to me AT ALL. Not even a little bit. You will just have to accept that.

• Kiki says:

Im w/u!!!!!! My wishes have been dashed!!😔😭😭😭

• Margaret says:

To be candid I still want Ben and Riley together…. they fit soooooo perfectly….

8. John NYC says:

They all pledged to stay in NYC while in Emma’s hospital room so a lot of closure rather than cliff hanging. Which I appreciate. I’ll be back without the angst.

• John NYC says:

Ah, more ambiguous than I remembered.

But still not some cliffhanger.

• Monica says:

Yes they did pledge to stay but then Ben told them to go live their life and that he would be okay. So you never know. With a baby on the way Danny and Riley might choose to move and accept his new offer. He said he would get paid twice as much. I think they will go their separate was but when the show comes back they will all be back together. They did say there would be a time jump for season 6.

9. Alex Allgood says:

I’m not a big fan on the idea of Riley being pregnant. I wish it was Ben having another baby. Emma could have a sibling!

• John NYC says:

But who would Ben have knocked up this time? #25? (HIMYM homage). Or Sam who doesn’t want children?

Plus given the degree of closeness in that group Emma IS getting a sibling. Or the next best thing.

• Jamie says:

Agreed with John – with how close this crew is, Emma will basically be getting a sibling (we know Danny and Riley will stay in New York). I actually thought this was perfect that Danny and Ben will get to have kids relatively close in age now. I loved playing with all my cousins when I was younger, especially when my actual brothers were pissing me off.

10. skimpole says:

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I know how the show actually ends! It’s very simple. Riley and Danny are married, and so is Ben to whomever the show hitches him up with.

Then five years later Ben is divorced and Riley has a drinking problem. Ben is divorced because the show never had any idea to have him with someone better than Riley. It just strung out his suffering up to the last minute, and didn’t put any thought into giving his intended a personality or any chemistry. Riley has a drinking problem because everyone thinks that because Danny liked her when she was fat and unpopular, she’s a horrible witch if she isn’t pathetically grateful. And since Danny is a nitwit with no insight into her character and who never takes the initiative in dealing with their problems, alcoholism is the solution to her tensions. (Much like an unplanned pregnancy was the solution to all their original tensions, only this time it’s actually realistic.)

11. Putman says:

I’m just gonna say this has been the best tv show ever, I love all the laughs and joy it brings. And I’m really looking forward to a next season

• Kathy says:

Yes!! I agree with you. One of the best shows in all the years I’ve watched TV. I could confidently say it’s as funny and joyful as Three’s Company, The Jeffersons, and other very successful shows of the past. There are rarely any shows like that anymore.

12. Shellyann says:

I am so happy about Danny and Riley – I love these two together. I cannot wait until season 6!

13. Day says:

I have watched every episode….just a quick question why isn’t Emma at least 5 years old…the young actress playing her is cute and all and would be missed…but going on the 6 season I think she should age!

• Annie says:

It’s actually only been on for 3 years. Two seasons per year. So the fact that Emma is only 3ish is spot on. I personally don’t like when a child character is aged so I have no problem with Emma being the age she should be.

14. Rain says:

I rather want Zoey for Ben. She was great for Ben and she would be great with Emma. Just get rid of her baby daddy. He was a screw up anyway.

15. Laura says:

I look forward to watching this show! All the characters are so funny! Definitely watching season 6 and am very very happened it was renewed. Great job Freeform!

16. Rosa says: says:

I enjoy it very much. Season finally was different. I hope serie last for many episodes

17. Edgar says:

God that was such a well done episode.. From the start with the mystery girl showing up & the look on Tucker’s face.. Then to the return of beardo Brad to the big Surprise Riley dropped on Danny was awesome.. Like many other fans loved it loved it loveddddddddd it

18. Kathy says:

I loved the finale, but at the same time I hated it. No one likes when things change so quickly.
    If Tucker isn’t going to be on the show anymore, that would be very disappointing because Tucker is as much the main character as Ben, Riley, and Danny of the whole show.
    And Danny moving to Vancouver? That would be awful. I hope you don’t end it with a heartbreaking Danny and Riley saying goodbye. No no no no no!!
    Bonnie and Brad should get a house next door to Ben and Ben next door to Tucker, and Tucker next door to Riley & Danny. Hehehehehe
    We’d like to see them all living near each other at least.

• Jamie says:

I doubt anyone is going anywhere next season – it sounds like having everyone pulled in different directions was written because they thought the show might end and wanted to wrap up the series with Ben being able to take care of Emma by himself. But you know they’re all gonna end up staying in season 6.

19. Katherine says:

Love this show! It has been a long time since a show has made me laugh and care about what happens to the characters. I look forward to it every week. My husband even watches with me. So happy it will be back. Can’t wait to see if Emma gets a boy or girl cousin and how she handles it. We now know how sneaky she can be.

20. Jen says:

So excited of what came about on the last episode of season 5 more excited of what’s going to happen next please please don’t let this show end baby daddy is my all time fav show love Danny and Riley!! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 please keep us updated when season 6 will show so anxious

21. Kiki says:

Still not a Riley/Danny fan!! Ive always Been a Riley/Ben fan!! I know I’m n the minority! Now guess my wishes for them are dashed :/

22. Maria says:

Please dont make anyone leave the show, because it is awesome the way it is. I always have a hard time following shows because i do get bored, but this show from the beginning has been really nice. I love danny and riley and bonnie and tucker are absolutely very funny. Ofcourse there is no show without ben. So please evryone should stay

23. Madison says:

Will Danny and Riley stay together unlike Ben and his baby momma I really hope so they are made for each other it break my heart if they ended up splitting up.

24. DaNny and Riley are not a good couple

25. Raz says:

I hope season 6 is going to Air. It’s a really good show that deserves to have more seasons.

26. laraaaa4 says:

So, Baby Daddy season 5 finale was awesome. Danny and Riley are such a great couple even through I kinda wanted Ben and Riley together at first. Now that Riley is pregnant.. whoa it’s a game changer. I don’t think that Tucker will go to Hollywood and I also think that Danny and Riley aren’t going anywhere. Bonnie and Brad are so funny, I mean to be honest Bonnie is just hilarious. And yeah I liked Sam, I’m eager to know how things will turn out with this new girl Ben keeps bumping into, but I really thought that somehow Zoe and Ben would end up together, she is just perfect and so nice and beautiful and I don’t like how things between them ended. I mean yeah, her baby daddy came back and he wants to be better and blah blah but after everything that happened between those two it’s a little odd to end their ‘relationship’ like that but okay, we’ll see maybe it really is over or maybe something new and exciting will happen in season 6. So please, film this season as soon as possible, we just can’t wait. And ofc congrats to all actors and producers and all crew you’re just amazing! Sorry for writing so much it’s just a great show. with love Lara, xoxo

27. julieanna says:

well my best cast in the show is tucker, i love how he talks and his style,but i think ben and zoey make a great couple.funny when brad came back from his trip.

28. Lindsay Hans says:

I personally think Bonnie should have a baby, menopause baby would be fun.

29. Kathy Skomro says:

I love this show! I was hooked from the first episode! I think the finale for season 5 was awesome, this show makes me laugh out loud. I can’t wait for season 6!

30. Kathy Skomro says:

I started watching the series in august on Netflix and I was hooked from the first episode! I watched all the episodes in one month! think the finale for season 5 was awesome, this show makes me laugh out loud. I can’t wait for season 6!

31. Tori says:

I never heard of baby daddy until I made a Netflix account. Baby daddy is one of the first shows I watched and I am absolutely obsessed. It took me two weeks to finish all five seasons! Season six needs to come back with a lot of surprises. Hopefully season six won’t be the last season! Too excited!!!

32. I still miss her and Ben being together

33. aeron says:

this whole riley and Danny is just boring,,, thy shoulda left her with Ross

34. nihel says:

i would die to see more seasons on baby daddy.i mean friends had a lot of seasons and still wrok till tday why not make more i love this show but i have watched all seasons like 7 times now lol i need something new lol this was an awesome work

35. Shannon says:

I binged watched this series and I’m obsessed. Can’t wait for more!

36. Felicia says:

The season was totally ruined for me I was hoping Ben & Riley ended up together and started a future Danny is so idiotic and doesn’t seem to be fit for Riley seems more like a brotherly sister love then an actual in love relationship this whole Riley/Danny things is weird…after season five it kinda turned me away not so much interested in it. Hopefully Ben finds the right girl/new mom for Emma lord can’t y’all make it scandalous and change things haha

37. Margaret says:

isn’t there any chance for Riley and Ben anymore? I love them together…

38. old daddy says:

Am I daft or have I seen most of this episode before ? Because I defo knew about the fake party and about Bonnie and Brad becoming hippies. Or was it a flashback episode ? I didn’t see the start.

39. Goodbye freeform you take one of the best shows off see ya. Baby daddy was one show all my family watched and laughed at.