Exclusive
Ellen Pompeo Directing Grey's Anatomy Season 13

Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Poster Puts (Half of) Meredith Front and Center

Meredith is about to turn Grey’s Anatomy — or at least Seattle — on its side! At least that’s one potential takeaway from the ABC drama’s Season 13 poster.

The official one-sheet (exclusively obtained by TVLine and embedded for your viewing pleasure below) features Ellen Pompeo‘s indefatigable heroine literally split in half, with the right side of her body replaced by the iconic Seattle skyline.

In a bit of a departure from years past, the striking, turquoise-tinged image is not accompanied by a tagline, leaving the artwork wide open to interpretation. Another possible inference: In the new season, which gets underway on Thursday, Sept. 22, at 8/7c, Mer will find herself torn about whether to embark on her first serious post-McDreamy relationship with Nathan (Martin Henderson) in the wake of the duo’s no-strings tryst at the end of Season 12.

Should Mer decide to throw caution to the wind and give love another shot, one thing is clear — Nathan will never be Derek. “There will only be one McDreamy ever,” Pompeo maintained to TVLine last spring. “You know, he’s not replaceable.”

What’s your interpretation of the key art? Have a gander at it below and then speculate away in the comments!

Grey's Anatomy Season 13 Poster

1. Ingmar says:

First thing my husband noted: Damn, she looks like Julianna Margulies. Agreed with him. Other than that, cool poster. Season 13 can’t get here soon enough!

2. Sara says:

Love it! Can’t wait for season 13.

• Jami says:

Hey I am on S10 of Grey’s, just got my heart broke with Arizona and Callie. I already know Callie is not coming back. I already know what happened to Derrick. I am wandering can I just skip over the heartbreak of season 10, 11 and 12. I loved both women. I understood why Arizona did what she did to Callie at the end of season 9 and was pretty upset with Arizona. However I felt Callie never really understood Arizona’s trauma and did act like she was on the plane with them. No happy ending for my favorite couple(:

• crwood says:

Don’t skip any seasons. They help with character development. I did not like season 12 after loosing McDreamy but just rewatched the season and it was worth every minute. Season 12 really lived up to all the others.

3. Al says:

Really liked it

4. Vicki Mancuso says:

It’s edgy but I’m not in love with it. Happy to see Mer glammed up a bit.
    Please don’t let her look so dowdy this year

• angiekaye2 says:

I actually love that she is not all glam all the time. She’s a hard working mom living her life as best she can. Glam? No need right now. Makes her super relatable to working moms (single or married).

• Anna says:

Agreed. Boss women with three kids, a full time job, and no partner do not have time to be glammed up 24/7. I always hate on other shows when characters always look like they’ve just left the salon right before that scene. People don’t have time to look like they’re en route to a photo shoot every day.

5. Andrew Hass says:

I liked the poster because it’s different.As Meredith, i think a part of her will always be in love with Derek but i also think she’s ready to be in a new serious relationship.

• Hugo Disla says:

I think everybody should think exactly like you. Derek will always be Derek but she has to move on with her life. That doesn’t mean that she will forget about him.

• Nicaulys Disla says:

She definitely has the right to move on! Agreed! By the way, Hugo, are you Dominican? It’s rare to find someone with my same last name :)

• Yepppdemboyzmom24 says:

I think the poster is saying she is torn between her life in Seattle or is there the same life elsewhere. I think this may be Meredith’s last season, because it’s not too much more she can do in Seattle, but win the Harper Avery ( and we all know that will never happen due to politics and the fact that Jackson Avery is a colleague and member of the hospital board of directors), I do not want Meredith and Alex in a relationship, that’s the only original friendship left from the 1 season and it does not need to be tainted by sex. I think it’s time for Meredith to go and leave, I love her but she has been through so much in Seattle!!

• Kayla says:

It’s called “Grey’s” anatomy. If Meredith leaves, the show is over.

• Cindy says:

I don’t actually think so, they’ve now set it up that Grey is in the hospital name and they’re developing a lot of new characters. For a while, I though it may go on forever and they just keep adding and changing over cast, but who knows. It’s a hell of a lot more interesting than those hospital soap operas people used to watch!!

• LaDonna says:

Yep, they’ve been setting up for Ellen’s departure since they killed off Lexi and renamed the hospital Grey-Sloan. The show could go on for a long time after she leaves, if they want it to. Grey’s Anatomy would then refer to the hospital, not the person.

6. tomus225 says:

Perhaps the pic denotes a rebirth of Mer! Opening herself to what Seattle has to offer! Thank goodness for the makeup! I know she plays a busy mom, but I know women doctors that are busy moms and they do show pride in looks by combing hair and using lipstick! She is a beautiful woman let that shine!

• Yepppdemboyzmom24 says:

Being a widow I think the no makeup and raggedy Anne look is a depection (spell check I couldn’t get my phone to find it lol) of her trying to appear unattractive to men. When women lose their spouses they go through phases of grief, and this is just a phase, what will happen is a man will eventually start to notice her ( already happened) without the makeup and glam and see the real Meredith!!!

7. Elaine Greza says:

I love Mer’s pic so serious; I don’t like that the skyline is sideways!

8. Leah says:

Beyond excited for the new season, mostly for Meredith’s storyline.

9. There are still other characters in GA right? I mean they haven’t all been killed off, have they? Why then is it solely focused on Meredith? I think maybe it’s time to end the show.

• Jami says:

I have binge watching Grey’s on season 9 I think Ep 15. Here is the perspective of someone who binged watched the show. Meredith was IMO probably the most un likable character until Season 6. Her acting seemed to get better after season 6. I feel bad for the characters like Arizona, Callie, Bailey that have been the mostly in the shadows. I love Arizona and Callie, not sure if Shonda Rimes knows how to right gay characters. Callie is a great actress/singer, but not a empathetic wife to Arizona. Then Shonda messed with Arizona’s character absolutely loved Jessica Capshaw acting in S9 she went from this refreshing, compassionate person into a real spiteful character and resented the hell out of everyone. I thought Shonda’s writing was lazy and never really gave this couple enough screen time so far. Since I never watched the show until this summer, I already know from this site what is to become of my favorite characters. I am hoping S13 that Arizona find’s some happiness, however probably a back drop, once again. Meredith Grey is the show, however other actors have stolen the spotlight from her because Grey’s does have really talented cast. Ellen Pompeo will probably end the show by 2018 and she seems to have a complex about aging actresses, she is 47 now that would put her at 50.

• Anna says:

Eh, Arizona was never that compassionate – her crappy behavior was always there, so she couldn’t have been “messed with” by Shonda. I always hated how she treated Mark, even before Callie got pregnant. Apart from the first season she was on (because we didn’t see that much of her), she was always kind of childish and selfish in her relationship with Callie and her friendships (the way she screwed over April and then kept defending herself in season 12 is a perfect recent example).

• Jami says:

My wife thinks differently. She thought Callie was selfish one in the relationship. Arizona stayed by Callie’s bed after the crash, came back from Africa to be with Callie. I am lesbian so I could see where Arizona was mean to Mark in the beginning. Callie was not sure if she was a lesbian or not. I also thinks it is amazing how Callie forgave George and wanted to stay married to George even though he didn’t. I also thought Mark and Arizona got close, because she wanted Callie to be happy. Arizona also was the one holding Mark after the plane crash. I also noticed Callie was at Mark’s bedside in S9, thinking where the hell is Arizona I also thought Callie was pushing the sex with Arizona and the complaining about it was selfish. I don’t know what Arizona did to April in S12, apparently it must be bad. However saying that, I think April is a little ditzy, I like her though. I think both Arizona and Callie are very good actresses and I thought Season 6, 7 and 8 rocked for Arizona and Callie, season 9 broke my heart. A Perfect Storm.

• Jean says:

Sure there are. But since at least the TGIT-Theme was introduced, Meredith Grey, Olivia Pope and Annalise Keating were the the central figureheads of ABC’s Thursday nights. So this poster isn’t a real surprise…
      But I still don’t unterstand why this should be a reason to end a show, which has reinvented itself last season respectively all the time since Derek’s death.

• I didn’t notice much reinvention but I did notice repetitive storylines.

• Jami says:

I am sure as long as the show is still getting the ratings and the storyline’s are refreshing the show will end when Ellen walks away.

• Anna says:

Oliva and Annalise are both the stars of their show, though. Grey’s is much more of an ensemble show than either of the other two shows. Although the last couple of seasons have been more Meredith-centric, in earlier seasons many other characters had just as much of a storyline and central part of the show as her.

• Stacy says:

They’ve been simplifying the posters more and more over the years. Season 12 was also solo Mer. Season 11 was just Mer & Derek. I think they’re just trying to hone in on the fact that she is the Grey in Grey’s Anatomy. Shonda’s said before there is no show without Meredith.

• tomus225 says:

It’s focused on Mer because it is GREY’S Anatomy!

• K says:

Because….it’s called GREY’S anatomy. So of course it’s all abt Grey. I think it’s abt time you stop watching the show. You know…if you don’t like it…

• Mary says:

Because it’s called Grey’s Anatomy!

• Abby says:

Probably because it’s specifically called “Grey’s” Anatomy. She was and will always be the key player…until they kill her off and replace her with another Grey

• Kris says:

It’s called Greys Anatomy for a reason!! Not just because it’s based in a hospital. Her last name is Grey and it’s always been about Meredith!!

• It was originally going to be called ‘Complications’ actually.

• Ryan says:

“Originally” really has no bearing on a show headed into its thirteenth season. The end product has always had Meredith’s story at its center.

As far as the poster, I’m sure it’s just a cost-cutting measure on ABC’s part. This is a cast of over a dozen series regulars that’s constantly changing. It’s probably just easier for the network to not bother with new photo shoots every year. It’s not like the show needs a lot of promotion anyway at this stage.

• Jamie says:

It wouldn’t be Grey’s anatomy without the Grey

10. I think Mer looks like Bewitched – Elizabeth Montgomery! I have watched Greys since inception… Last season was one of the bests in changing story lines, it brought life back after death (McDreamy). Looking forward to the new season.

11. val says:

I get it there will be only one mcdreamy. But seriously i dont think anyone who gives love another chance is actually looking for that person you lost.
    Nathan is his own person, and i like him and he and Meredith do connect.

12. izzie´s fan says:

please shonda, bring izzie back. Alex needs her and we all miss her.

• Anna says:

Alex does not need her. She straight up abandoned him, and he was a mess. But he picked himself up and moved on without her. Izzie would be of no use to him now.

13. Sarah says:

Greys Anatomy top 20 couples- mark and Lexie should not be at number 9. More like number 3!!! Some of these couples aren’t even great. Erica Harn and Callie shouldn’t even rate a mention.

14. Ashley says:

I think it’s very bizarre. She’s very gussied up, but in black and white with a odd blue eye? It almost makes it seem sinister. Like maybe they are going to make her less likeable and sort of the villain this season. I feel like for a while the show has been centered around her being untouchable. She’s been seen as fragile and somewhat broken and we feel sorry for her. Perhaps that’s going to change. I can certainly imagine the waves her current love affair will cause. Perhaps it will cause others to turn on her because it will be seen as betrayal of Owen for her to pursue this relationship. This picture could be a “she’s back” statement.

15. Beth says:

She’s beginning to see the beauty to life once again. When he passed she lost herself & simply existed in what became a black and white world. There is significance to the coloring of her eye & in the skyline. Perhaps her perspective of life must go on is transitioning into living the life that continues on

16. Cinda Rank says:

Love it and her eyes! Love Mer , love all of Grays 💖💖💖 please keep it simple, real, loving, romantic, dramatic, and keep our Greys characters!

17. Lori Lind says:

I love it, hope it’s a dynamic season…Mer needs a hot romance this season please….turn Seattle on fire!

18. Alicia Chatman says:

She’s open for whatever! City beware 😳

19. MG says:

Ellen Pompeo is the leading lady, all the moaners on why is she on the poster? Seriously? Than who’s going to be on it? The overload of characters Greys has lol? Most shows promote with the lead/s, and so happy she’s getting the recognition she deserves, loved last season’s poster and this one too.
    My take on this poster is with her new romance in season 13, it’s gonna shake things up for sure.

• Jami says:

She is not my favorite character, but Grey’s is Ellen Pompeo show. There has always been several characters I have loved on the show, that left, died or got fired. I want Arizona and Callie back together before the series finale.

20. Nikki says:

Look like a cartoon. Its just a poster and probably doesn’t mean much about the show overall. The posters never really mean much before.

21. Brenda says:

With putting Derek’s death aside I think my favorite season is season 11 it was more about the medicine and I enjoyed the storylines. Everyone talks down on Amellia but if they were to watch Private Practice you would understand her character better I like her and I want to know who everyone thinks is going to stop the wedding will it be Christina or Owens sister? As for the poster I like it and I think she gonna make Seattle her bitch lol I think it’s time she has a method of her own she can’t get a Harper-Avery and that’s fine but that doesn’t mean she can’t get published with a different achievement

• Anna says:

I loved Private Practice, and I hate Amelia as a character – there are plenty of us who understand her backstory (and felt unbelievably bad for her when her baby died) but still find her insanely annoying. She always made everything about her on PP and does the same on Grey’s.

22. tiffany says:

i think her and nathan should both give love a shot they would be good together

23. Kathi Ames says:

Love the poster!! Seattle is Greys Anatomy, Meridith is Greys Anatomy , they are one!!!!!! Can’t wait for new seSon to start💚💙💚💙

24. K says:

Maybe it is a stay or go situation?

25. Michele says:

I guess if you think about it, she lost her other half when she lost Derek. Now she is ready to get it back, and the whole world is at her fingertips. She has a secretive look on her face, or maybe a look of anticipation. This makes me excited for this season!

26. Amanda says:

Love it!!! That city IS who Meredith Grey is. It’s perfect.

27. Shellie B says:

Nope, not crazy about it. Meredith hardly ever looks like this. Just not what I would expect from Meredith Grey.

28. Sarah says:

Love it

29. Mel says:

#BringBackYang
    Would be an interesting twist now that Owen and what’s her face are a thing.

#letacouplebehappy!
    Reunite Callie and Arizona and Jackson and April!

30. I think Mer will take over the hospital! She’ll be the star that she always knew she could be! Medical breakthroughs, research slam dunks, grants for her, articles about her, a Harper Avery perhaps?? A rebound from the Harper Avery that was stolen from Christina! She’s now in the front seat after being pushed aside for Derek’s government work!

31. Araceli rosas says:

I feel like this poster is inferring to her getting to know Seattle but at the same time trying to remember, I feel like this season is when they will hit her with Alzheimer’s

32. cdeno says:

The poster is nice, but last time I checked this was an ensemble cast and a very large one at that.

33. Allison Osmond says:

Love it!! Great idea!! Can’t wait for new season!!

34. Leslie says:

Love it! Her eyes are amazing!

35. Lizzie says:

I think it means she’s incomplete, not without Detek but without her person. Betcha Yang is back!!!

36. Patricia says:

Seattle is going to be turned on its side this season and mer is ready to take it on

37. Beth Taylor says:

I’m still adamant about kicking Jo to the curb, and putting Alex and Meredith together. After all, he loves her kids, and they have an inseparable bond. They love each other from a purely respectful place. It’s just the way it should be headed. As Alex said once, “Even Meredith probably wanted him, once”.

• Kate says:

It’s a brother/sister relationship and has been for years! Whether or not Jo stays on the show, Alex and Meredith won’t get together and shouldn’t. Funny how you’re quoting an Alex quote he said during a scene with Jo btw, a scene where she bought him the couch and showed him how much she values his friendship.

38. Heather LePior says:

I never want this show to end! I seriously crave it. In my eyes, it never gets old! Bring on season 13!!

39. Andrea Sweetlove says:

does it mean she’s only half in Seattle and means half hearted about staying there? hope there’s no plans for her exit … still devastated mcdreamy is gone !!
    Other than that it’s cool poster and nice to see Mer looking glamorous for a change rather than scrubs on lol … ps when does it air in UK hate waiting !!!

40. Kayla says:

I don’t believe that Riggs is the guy for her. It’ll be interesting to see how she dates after fixing the damaged self she was before when her and Derek fell in love. This says to me that she’s “born again”. She’s dressed and shown in all white except for her eyes, she’s pure, new, fresh, but with more understanding how life works, with more clarity. The city is sideways because she’s seeing it in a different light, she’s looking at a new perspective.

If Meredith gets with any guy is gonna be someone of high standards. Riggs isn’t high standards. Riggs should be with Maggie. Meredith needs a new character, someone… Who isn’t showy or flashy, who is the opposite of a McDreamy. Like the vet in her earlier seasons.

41. EM says:

I think this poster and last years portray that Meredith is alone, sick with Alzheimers. From the first episode of season one it was not going to be a happily ever after no matter how much we wished it would be. End of the first episode is Meredith and Ellis in the home sitting in the chairs by the window. Later season shows Richard and Adele in the exact same place. I suspect there will be one more in the series finale.

42. Agnes Skamballis says:

The mind, heart, and soul of Seattle is its people.

43. pickles says:

So much photoshopping it doesn’t even look like her.

44. tomus225 says:

That explains the more recent Mer, but not tge plain Jane before Derick’s death. JS

45. Chelle says:

Here’s my interpretation: The skyline is sideways, which represents Meredith’s history in Seattle with Derek, and a potential future with another guy. Like she can continue to live in Seattle, but it’ll be different. A good different. A “moving on” different.

To be honest, I’m not sure I’d watch Grey’s Anatomy without Ellen Pompeo. Everyone knows she is the main character, and pull to watch the show. Shonda Rhimes knows that. I bet the show ends when Ellen Pompeo decides not to renew her contract. And she’s already stated that she’ll keep doing Grey’s as long as Shonda Rhimes wants, so when Rhimes ends Grey’s Anatomy, it’s over for everyone.

46. acurat says:

Hard to watch this show anymore now that Shonda Rhines, Ellen Pompeo, and other characters all got political and threw their support (as their characters) behind a presidential candidate. I really don’t want to watch a show that is supporting politics in this country.

47. tomus225 says:

Then don’t. However, they are people too and have a voice. I have no idea who they are backing when I say that.

48. Paula Trumm says:

I feel Meredith is going to take Seattle by storm! # Grey’sAnatomy

49. ANGEL-LEE says:

AWESOME I’M LOOKING SO FORWARD TO THE 22ND APRIL HAVING A BABY GIRL I HAVE EVERY SEASON NOW ONCE IT’S OVER SEASON 13 WILL BE PART OF MY COLLECTION REALLY HOPE THERE’S GOING TO BE A SEASON 14 LOVE ALL OF YOU ON GREYS ANATOMY