Archie Panjabi Talks Good Wife's Lingering Green Screen Controversy: 'It Was Time for Me to Unzip the Boots'

The Good Wife‘s enduring ‘Kaliciagate’ controversy followed Archie Panjabi to the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Tuesday, where the Emmy winner was on hand to tout her new role on NBC’s Blindspot.

During a panel to promote Blindspot‘s upcoming second season, Panjabi was asked to set the record straight about the reason behind The Good Wife‘s infamous split-screened bar scene between her character Kalinda and Julianna Margulies’ Alicia. (It’s been alleged that real-life tensions between the actresses forced producers to shoot their aforementioned reunion scene with body doubles.)

“I loved playing the role of Kalinda,” she said. “I had such a great time. It’s something that’s very special to me. I’m so thrilled to be on another show. In terms of anything that happened on The Good Wife, I think it’s only respectful to let it stay on The Good Wife. It was time for me for many reasons to unzip the boots and step into another show. But I can tell you for those of you who miss the boots, I do wear a pair of knee high boots on Blindspot.”

Last October, Margulies brushed off talk of a backstage feud as “totallly gossip,” adding, “I heard that question had been asked to Robert King. There’s no story there, sorry … I actually had heard [that rumor] and I feel that it has been talked about and answered. I feel people just like to have gossip or make something into something that isn’t there. There’s no animosity on my part. It’s a shame, because I wonder if it was two men, when one finds out that he f—ed his best friend’s wife, if it would get that same attention, you know what I mean?”

Margulies went on to suggest that it was Panjabi’s commitment to the BBC drama The Fall that led the two actresses to shoot last May’s anticipated Alicia-Kalinda reunion scene separately — an assertion Panjabi at the time quickly disputed. “The Fall was not even in production at that time,” she wrote on Twitter. “I was in New York ready to film the scene!”

1. T. says:

Let’s move on.

2. Tony says:

I’ve never even watched the show. But it’s sad that everyone couldn’t be adults about the situation. Hell, if David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen can swallow their pride for the pleasure of fans, why couldn’t this show get its crap together to film a real scene?

3. Jared says:

Archie’s Twitter response pretty much says it all. Julianna can say whatever she wants, but there was DEF more to this story that nobody wants to speak about on the record.

4. Ted says:

All I know that is that if Ryan Murphy’s FEUD gets a second season…

5. Greg says:

Let it goooo. I never believed that Archie was 100% innocent in this situation, for some reason everyone has painted Julianna as the sole problem. But the show is over and its time to move on.

• Stacy says:

I think the singular reason that JM received blame wasn’t because anyone was taking sides in an unknown feud, but because she had the professional power. I don’t believe AP had the clout to demand a green screen to avoid filming with JM.

• Dude says:

Archie may have contributed to the animosity but it was definitely Juliana that had them limit Kalinda and Alicia’s interactions to phone conversations and demanded that split screen bar scene. It was also likely Juliana that was responsible for Kalinda’s decreased role in later seasons.

6. Dick Whitman says:

Here we go again… someone please just tell the truth so people can move on.

• KT says:

Amen! If they would just admit what was going on, they wouldn’t be asked about it anymore. The whole thing is just so high school. Love your username, by the way!

7. Andrea says:

Unfortunately, it’s too soon for anyone to spill the beans yet. I think it’ll be a good 10 years before that happens. Unless, of course, Christine Baranski decides to do it sooner for some reason. She’d be the one who has as much standing as Julianna in terms of career. I doubt Archie, Matt, or anyone else on TGW set will ever say anything. They all have yeas of career left and will not likely jeopardize future projects.

8. kmw says: