Aquarius Saturdays Season 2 Move

Aquarius to Move Back to Saturdays, NBC Says Renewal Chances 'Tough'

Much like the serial killer at the center of its narrative, NBC’s Aquarius is starting to follow a pattern.

The David Duchovny-led drama, which now holds the Thursday 10/9c time slot, is moving back to Saturday nights, NBC entertainment president Jennifer Salke confirmed Tuesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

“David and the talent are really important to us, and we’ll continue to support the show wherever we put it,” Salke said. “We do have to make some schedule changes. But the show’s not being pulled off the schedule.”

When Salke was asked about chances for a Season 3 renewal, she responded, “I think that’s tough.”

The switch-up mirrors a decision the network made last July, when Aquarius was relocated to Saturdays — a night traditionally used to burn off episodes of cancelled fare — despite the Charles Manson series’ Season 2 renewal.

Executive producer John McNamara tweeted the scheduling change Monday.

Aquarius‘ two-hour, ad-free June 16 season premiere averaged 2.7 million total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating, which was up from its Season 1 finale (which did 1.1 mil/0.2) but down from its freshman run average (2.8 mil/0.5).

As McNamara notes, the remainder of Season 2 will begin airing on Aug. 27.

1. KLS says:

Bye, bye, Aquarius.

2. Shaun says:

Now Claire Holt can be released back into the wild :D

• Dude says:

My thoughts exactly. Throughout this whole ordeal, I’ve been hoping that the show would be cancelled so she could move onto something more worthy of her talents. Thankfully, at the very least, they’ve recognized what a star she is and expanded her role in season 2 (and she has been given great material), but she’s so much better than this.

3. kmw says:

You don’t move a show you support to Saturday and expect it to survive. Sure DD is important to NBC but this is not the way to show it. Bye Aquarius.

4. Ian says:

Too little too late for Aquarius it seems. It had the makings of being a really good show, but it only started to realize that in a none-talked-about 2nd season. It was very… aggressively distasteful last year.

• Ken says:

I’m curious as to what you thought was “very aggressively distasteful last year”?

• Renee DeMartin says:

Yes, what was so distasteful about season 1??

• Eric Anderson says:

This show needs another season to find its audience. These actors could go so much deeper into their characters if they had the time. NBC don’t cancel it yet…

• punkfunk13 says:

lol wut. If you thought anything in the first season was distasteful I can’t imagine what you thought about last nights episodes w/ the paralyzed character.

5. Brian says:

They’re lucky NBC didn’t Brink/Vinyl it by canceled the 2nd season before it even got made after it was moved to Saturdays last season.

6. Robberey says:

Why haven’t they put they show online like they did with season 1? Would have been more successfull.

7. Jared says:

I love wish they would just cancel this show so we can get more X Files.

• Mowbray says:

Frankly, the cancellation worries me: not because I watch Aquarius (I don’t), but because, having no other immediate projects, Duchovny will probably be keen on doing a full X-Files season. Which might mean more mediocre or even awful episodes, because in my opinion the equally jobless Carter is not capable of planning/writing a good season.

• Nicole says:

I have this same concern. I never thought I would be actively hoping for no more X-Files, but season 10 really killed any hope I had for Chris Carter to deliver good writing and character development. Now, if Vince Gilligan wants to takeover, I would be back on board.

• Mowbray says:

Not even Gilligan can help if there is no good story for the whole season, however long it will be. Carter probably wants William to be the new holy grail, i.e. Samantha, so that the nonsense (Oh, William, you tiny messiah in spe, where are you?! We need you to cure your offscreen father! Was he taken by the aliens? By the government? By Donald Trump’s groupies? Aaaaaa! So much pain!) can continue endlessly.

Hey, folks at Fox and at 1013, in case you are lurking here, read this carefully before I lose my patience. The once brilliant show needs to have one GOOD final season to tie up most of the loose ends. Mulder and Scully need to be killed off in the final apocalyptic episode because
          1. No other actors should be allowed to play those characters.
          2. It’s a fitting end.
          3. Anderson, the only true talent on the show, will finally be free to do better projects and work with people who actually respect her and appreciate her input (does the name of Bryan Fuller ring a bell?).
          You can thank me later.

• JLS says:

The first viewing of season 10 left me kind of meh, but upon viewing it a second time I enjoyed and appreciated it more! I disagree entirely that there was no character development! In this same thread you complain that you don’t want a William story line but I think it is inevitable given that there definitely needs to be closure there! Also, I can’t think of another story line that would lend itself more to character development for BOTH Mulder and Scully at this point in their lives/relationship! It’s kind of a no brainer really! As has been discussed quite a bit online and elsewhere, the big challenge with season 10 was cramming into 6 episodes what used to have 20-25 episodes to breath – that’s an almost impossible task. I think they did the best they could do! When you are reintroducing (or just introducing period to completely new audiences) a series as massively successful and long running as this one and trying to cram in mythology and MOTW stuff too, 6 episodes just isn’t nearly enough time! I think all involved realize this and let’s hope that if/when season 11 arrives we will get at least 10 episodes! And frankly I don’t care who’s writing them as long as we get to see GA and DD in action again! If you didn’t like season 10 and spend too much time bashing it it doesn’t bode well for potential vindication in a season 11. Keep that in mind folks!

8. diane says:

Really like the show, but I understand.

9. Marla says:

The show shouldn’t have been renewed, that’s the true. Ok yeah, sorry for the few fans who watch it. But you can’t continue with a show that loses every week with two (R) shows, that’s pathetic! It can’t survive if is moving AGAIN on Saturday. Yep, smells canceled.

10. Melissa Richardson says:

I enjoy this program very much and I certainly do t it to be cancelled

11. Judy says:

The only reason I watched Season 1 was because I really like David D however Season 2 is much more enjoyable and if it continues as is, I hope it is renewed for a Season 3. With some good writing and directing, this series has potential. Various story lines are being set up that is making it much more interesting.

12. Nancy Ashley says:

My favorite show in the last 20 years, I’m old enough to remember when Manson and his girls were arrested and add that to David to Duchovny playing his usual perfect self. I do hope that it won’t be pulled from the NBC shows. We are so tired of the reality/game/competition shows. I guess it is what the younger crowd loves that dictates what you keep in the lineup, but please don’t forget the older group such as us.

13. renee weir says:

We liked the show! it was a lot of fun to watch. I do not know why the July 28 episode did not air. My Dish DVR is set to record all episodes. Aquarius is a great mix of suspense, gore, sex, mystery, and personal problems. The “inspired by actual events” makes it soon much fun. I love the politics, the scary Manson stuff, the detective work, this is one fun ride! I love the funny quips! I do not know if I should be grossed out, turned on or disgusted… Very good show!

14. Renee DeMartin says:

Aquarius is a GREAT show and I’m not sure why we have to wait until August 27 to finish out season 2. It’s not like NBC has anything worthwhile on for summer.

• Mags says:

I don’t understand waiting until 8/27 either…the longer NBC holds off on airing new episodes, the higher chance of people forgetting about the show altogether…which results in lower ratings. ..which results in show cancelation…This is just common sense.

On the other hand, I’d love to see Duchovny in X-Files…decisions, decisions

• Robin Commerford says:

So sad about the way the network is treating Aquarius. I like the show even if the story gets a little jumbled up. LOVE DD and the cast is really great.

15. Mary says:

Love the show! Creeps me out sometimes, but can’t look away. Keeps me on the edge of my seat. My co-worker and I enjoy discussing the following day. Thanks NBC and please renew. It’s nice to have something new on in the summer of re-runs.

16. Mel says:

I love this show. Only show i watch on network tv.

17. Suzanne Swasnon says:

We have to wait till August 27th??!! Arrrgh!!! It’s been bad enough having it bumped for the primary coverage…this is torture. Best series I’ve experienced since Breaking Bad. I don’t understand why it doesn’t have a higher viewership.

18. NBC is a network run by idiots. Don’t forget, this is the bunch that canceled Heroes. Historically, they canceled some of the best TV to ever hit the airwaves (Star Trek, anyone?), and the stupid bug must be in the water because it persists to this day.

19. JLS says:

I was really surprised by how much I like this show and was pleased to see that there were quite a few story lines other than the Manson family stuff which I feel is the weakest aspect of the show. All of the acting is great and the stories are as well. Shame NBC didn’t promote it more/better – as in make it clear that the whole show is not just about the Manson family. I didn’t have any knowledge of that until I started watching it, and only then b/c DD is on it! Maybe it’s time the producers shopped Netflix, etc.? Streaming entities seem to have a better grasp these days on what audiences really want and frankly ratings are probably down on the networks and cable overall in large part b/c people stream so much content – I couldn’t tell you the last time I watched anything on TV when it aired, everything is either On Demand or streaming for me!

20. M. Sanders says:

Awesome show! Hope the ‘powers that be’ at NBC have the brains to renew Aquarius for a 3rd season.

21. VS says:

I think the show is very good. I was of age in the 60’s. There was so much going on. However, I do feel the show would move forward better if there were not so many subplots. Renew for a 3rd season.

22. T says:

I never understood have this or JLo’s awful show got renewed for S02 in the first place. Horrible.

23. Kathy says:

Do not take Aquarius Off it’s a good show

24. Meredith Lime says:

Please please please don’t cancel Aquarius!! I love this show!

25. Kevin Malone says:

The show only makes sense to the older generation who actually know what it’s about and /or lived through it

26. Jennifer Haley says:

Please don’t cancel Aquarius I’m really enjoy watching it and I am only 31 and was not around for that Era but love the show very interesting love the story line!!

27. Debbie Kovac says:

I love the show Aquarius and it was getting really good. Can’t wait for Saturday to DVR it again! Love David Duchovny! DK

28. Adam Weisel says:

I didn’t grab me at first but after watching the, unedited, version of this on Netflix, I’m hooked! I’m loving it in fact and I grew really weary of cop shows in general for awhile and thought from the beginning another Manson related story, meh! But Duchovny’s straight arrow 60’s seasoned Hollywood cop portrayal makes it fly! Its nice to see him play a guy who’s not a smartass, to cool for school jackass who always gets laid like on Californication and a less laid back Fox Mulder! Along with the rest of the cast like veteran character actor Brendan O Byrne, Amber Chylders, and my personal favorite, favorite, I’m sure about to blowup, Tara Lynne Barr this Vietnam era drama is a nice change of pace but because of lousy American big network censorship, which will probably get worse with the coming Presidential administration is kind of a paradox since their is a more R Rated if not PG13 version out there! Which probably explains the haters for the NBC sanitized version! I can’t wait to see Netflix play season 2 and if their smart and it would be, groovy man if they pick up Season 3!

29. Karen billings says:

Love this show.so much of the 60’s is glamorized. It was far from it. Drugs…rebellion…total break down of what was normal. Your show reveals that. Please don’t cancel. There’s so much more to be said.

30. lisa says:

The problem was they pre-empted it for everything likeThe Olympics and pre season football. We all know it’s a recipe for disaster to mess with the time a program is shown. Regularity is key to getting regular viewership, especially when you are switching from an event in the future back to other events in the past that led there, as the show was structured this year. It’s a shame if it’s cancelled. It has good acting, a good story, an interesting setting, and a good soundtrack. Most of all, it was a program for adults. It’s rare to have purely adult-oriented program on a network channel anymore.

31. dan Glisson says:

Man, the how had me going..and as usual, NBC can’t see the forest for the trees.

32. Kimberlee Frarey says:

One of the most intelligent and real shows in years. Have not missed an episode. Duchovny is excellent.

33. Tyrella Griggs says:

I love Aquarius. Please don’t cancel this show. I think all the acting is great. I hate when this happens, as soon as you get a new good TV series they want to cancel it. Just like they did Dallas. That show was great, then they go cancel it. There was a lot of good acting in that show too. I beg again, please don’t cancel Aquarius! Thank you. Tyrella Griggs

34. Jenn says:

I love this show. Gethin Anthony and Grey Damon are fantastic. I feel like there was too much time in between seasons and not enough promotion. People have EXTREMELY short attention spans for series with all of the options out there now. To comment on something that was mentioned above, there are many networks that renew series with disappointing ratings – The CW for one. TV shows don’t even have a fighting chance these days. A couple of bad weeks and they’re dumped by the network. PLEASE give Aquarius another season!!

35. Jane Belous says:

I really enjoy the show. I like the historical aspects and time period. I lived through that time and remember hearing and reading about the events. I really hope there is a third season. I think the writing is awesome!

36. Mary Wist says:

I loved this show. I was in college during this period and the writers ,directors , and actors did a fantastic job of telling the story.
    It’s a unique show and could slip past viewers who don’t know who the Manson gang was and what the times were like.
    The challenge with the story was how to weave the Manson clan into life in LA at that time in a way that also depicted other history taking place like the Black Panthers.
    I loved the details and the music

37. I love this show!!! It is very deep and different from all of the frufru shows on tv that are silly!!
    The characters are fantastic and have really thrown themselves into their characters. I do hope it returns for next season. It is the only show on tv that is worth watching!!! It needs to be on the 9:00 hour during the week. Find it a time then.LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!

38. Johnny says:

One of the best shows on t.v.

39. Linda Seab says:

No! Please,… recently I’ve lost my Dad, my dog and my husband of 18 years with whom I watched Aquarius faithfully….We love the show! Please don’t take it away too😥

40. Rob says:

I will really miss this show. My entire family loves this show: My sister in law takes an the entire day off of work prepare for watching that night’s episode. She must really love it, because she gets paid like $500 a day!

41. Jack Harman says:

I like the show was hoping it would make it.

42. J.D says:

The reason i haven not watched it is because i thought it was cancelled.I liked the show.

43. Day Jackson says:

Top notch and dark viewing. Enjoy the intensity.

44. Nelly says:

Please don’t cancelled this historic show loved it from the beginning just wen it was getting good David D is doing an awesome job plz plz do t cancell plz