Fall TV Preview
Calista Flockhart Supergirl Season 3

Calista Flockhart Sets Supergirl Return (But Not as a Series Regular)

A major Supergirl cliffhanger has been resolved: Calista Flockhart will indeed return to the CBS CW series in Season 2 as Cat Grant. That’s the good news. The subpar news is that the actress will no longer be a series regular. Instead, she will recur as her schedule permits.

A Warner Bros. rep tells TVLine that Flockhart will be appearing in multiple episodes, beginning with the Oct. 10 season premiere.

According to sources, her status change was a direct result of the show’s move from Los Angeles (where Flockhart lives) to Vancouver (where she doesn’t).

Supergirl wouldn’t be Supergirl without the amazing Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant,” said executive producer Andrew Kreisberg in a statement.” We are so excited Calista has agreed to continue on the show when she can. We and the audience love to see her on screen.”

1. Cris says:

Thank god! She’s my favourite character

2. Phun says:

YESSSS! So glad Calista will be back, even if it’s as a recurring character!

• Dude says:

Sounds like it will be more as an occasional guest star, similar to how Claire Holt sporadically appears in two or three episodes of The Originals every year when she’s not filming Aquarius. I’m disappointed tbh. Was hoping they could lock her down for a more frequent gig.

• Phun says:

Let’s see how many episodes she’ll be in before judging. To me, it’s better that she’s there in a few episodes than none. With the move to Vancouver, Calista did not have to sign on, but she did and I’m glad that they worked things out with her, even if it is recurring.

3. Andrew Hass says:

I had a feeling that Calista Flockhart would stay on Supergirl but in a reduced role.My guess is she will be in the first episodes of the season and then her character might get an assignment or something to explain her absence.Then she could pop in again later in the season

• Pedro says:

Kara is not her assistant anymore and will have a new character to be her immediate superior. Therefore, the writing won’t be that hard.

But I’ll miss Calista. Her relationship with Kara in episodes 1 through 13 and in the last couple of the season were my favourite part of the show.

• lechatnoir says:

This was bound to happen. Her wardrobe is hella exprnsive.plus her Harrison Ford salary. They made a sound decision to bring her back in a recurring capacity only. That’s okay.

4. Erik says:

Kara no longer works directly under her so her appearing less makes sense. I think it would have been weird for Kara to get promoted from her assistant and then she still be there all the time.

5. ScottJ says:

Strange way of putting it – “as her schedule permits”. What else is she involved with that would occupy her schedule?

I actually think the scaling back of Cat Grant could be a good thing for the show. The character sort of dominates every scene she’s in and it was starting to come across as a bit too gimmicky.

• Pedro says:

Her husband and son? Charity work? Her life?

It’s not like the Flockhart-Fords are in dire need for money.

I think she works because she loves acting and working, but not enough to move to Canada for the better part of the year.

• Patrick says:

Her schedule includes being a mother and wife, to Harrison Ford. Her life is in LA. She wants to live in LA, not Canada. Ergo, she will fly up a few times a month to film some scenes.

• Dude says:

You guys act like they’re filming in the North Pole. The flight from LA to Vancouver is nothing. Like 2 and a half hours tops. She shouldn’t need to relocate her life if she doesn’t want to but she certainly could have accommodated semi-frequent appearances. Chyler Leigh is making it work and she too is a parent.

• Pedro says:

Chyler Leigh left Grey’s Anatomy to focus on her children for a while.

• Chyler has moved up to BC .Her kids are home schooled anyway so it’s not as if she had to pull them out for the move and her husband is now a musician and will probably be the one to commute when he needs to

And prior to getting the gig on Supergirl she was living in Nashville

• ashleytwo says:

I know what you meant but I got a chuckle out of “Her schedule includes being a mother and wife, to Harrison Ford”. He’s a big kid that needs looking after really!

• A fan of TV says:

Being a wife should not EVER be a time-consuming job that precludes work. If the wife doesn’t want to do it for her family, fine, but only motherhood qualifies as a role that should ever prevent a woman from having time to work far from home if she wants to. Being Harrison Ford’s wife should likewise be viewed the same way – it’s not a job, it’s not a responsibility, it’s a choice.

• Pedro says:

If you are a terrible wife, then, yes. Calista is rich. Harrison is rich. She doesn’t need the money. If she likes spending time with her husband more than taking a job in another country, so be it.

• Kevin says:

I agree. I don’t watch the show, but she pulled the same thing while on “Ally” and “Brothers and Sisters.” She doesn’t work because she has to, but you don’t add your zest to a character and then say “I’m tired and want something fresh and new” just because you can afford to. I wouldn’t hire her.

• Pedro says:

Each of those shows went on for over a hundred episodes with her as a regular. What she pulled were major successes.

• Kevin says:

Are you her agent? The shows were a success, no argument there. Her desire to stay with each show was a fail as time went on. She has a much more logical complaint for the move, but as an actor/actress in the business, you’re either all in or killing time. These characters come into our homes on a regular basis and as a result, we often get attached. They owe us nothing, but there are others within the show that are working hard to make a quality program AND an honest living. Any desire to leave before the 7-year contract is fulfilled is not “all in” in my opinion. And that is only worthy to me.

• stacy030 says:

So, if your company moved to another country, you would be a bad employee if you decided to go part time or even quit?

Wow!! She took a local job and it’s not her fault that the location moved. She owes you nothing!

6. Kate says:

That’s good and it will make sense since Kara is no longer her assistant and won’t be at morning meetings and I heard Winn is probably joining the DEO and, well, James is not necessarily super important to see at work.

7. Eric Wilson says:

As her schedule permits? What else is she doing?

8. Jorge says:

All I have to say is we live in a world where she can call-in and do video, no matter where she lives. I think it would actually add more
    Humor. Glad she’s sticking around.

9. Joey Connick says:

I find it really interesting how during all the speculation and now with the confirmation, no one has ever mentioned how all the other cast members no doubt have family in LA who they probably don’t want to leave for several months of the year. Don’t get me wrong: I understand that Calista Flockhart is a fairly big name compared to the other actors but she’s not Meryl Streep and the Cat Grant character was distinctly uneven throughout the first season, not to mention at times outright ridiculous.

I’m a big CF fan from the Ally McBeal days but I have to say I really do not like how everyone else on the cast is just expected to be excited to make the big move but somehow with CF, it’s just understood she’ll get special treatment. Yes, she doesn’t have to work in terms of money but if she’s going to commit to a project, she should commit to it fully, at the same level as everyone else is expected to. Otherwise, she should be doing limited series/cable and/or movies. This smacks of wanting to have your cake and eat it, too.

• Pedro says:

She committed to shooting in LA. It was in her contract. In fact, she didn’t have to return at all. She accommodated the show.

Calista has starred in two shows that went on for a hundred episodes or more. She’s a much bigger name than Mehcad Brooks or Melissa Benoist. She’s also older, not in the begging of her career, hungry for money and exposure.

Her son is a teenager. Her husband is 73. She doesn’t want to move countries. Why should she?

People have to stop acting like actors own them something. If your bank manager quit to raise their family, you wouldn’t call them and demand they went back to work.

• dan says:

Presumably CF’s contract, along with all the actors’ contracts, had to be renegotiated once the decision was made to move the show to Vancouver. I remember when ABC moved production of All My Children from NYC to LA they had to renegotiate everybody’s contract. Essentially the contract is void once the show moves location because a material part of the contract (where the actor goes to work) has changed. Most of the cast is younger and may not have the same roots in LA, making the move easier. I thought CF was a central part of season one and I think her absence in many episodes will be felt, but I’ll still watch with or without Cat in each episode.

10. Jewels says:

I’m glad she’s returning! I was really concerned she wouldn’t. I really don’t like how this announcement though is worded – like she is a b*tch for not wanting to relocate to Vancouver. Filming a TV show is not an 8 hour thing. If you watch any of the actors on DC shows you’ll see they’re there for HOURS. Filming in LA means that she could still see her family every day. In Vancouver? She’d be lucky to see them on the weekend.

The phrase: “As her schedule allows.” It’s such utter BS. Why write that at all? It makes it seem as though she’s hoity toity rather than a woman who signed on to a show based in LA that was then relocated elsewhere.

I’m glad she cared enough to continue. No one should make her be the villain or turn her into a pampered princess.

• KCC says:

If you think it makes Flockhart look like a villain that’s your interpretation. To me it looks like she didn’t want to relocate for a job. It happens all the time in all kinds of businesses, not just entertainment. Typically, if someone a company deems important to the business refuses a transfer, they’ll start sweetening the deal to entice them to move. It looks like the deal they struck is, Flockhart will be available for x number of days for work per season and that she’ll inform them of days she is not available (son’s soccer games, husband’s colonoscopies, etc.), hence the “As her schedule allows” statement. Her deal does not affect anyone else on the show and she was demoted from a series regular so she gave something up in the deal. Now, if Melissa Benoist refused to relocate that would be different because it would affect the entire show. Despite what the producer said about Supergirl not being Supergirl without Cat Grant (the show can survive without her), it really wouldn’t be Supergirl without Supergirl.

11. The Carpooler says:

Calista is an outstanding member of that cast. I’m sad she’ll have fewer appearances, glad she’s not leaving the show, and happy for her for placing her family first.

12. is jenna dewan tatum returning?

13. Sue Smith says:

I only have Netflix and Hulu, we don’t get tv cable. Are you going to add season 1 on either of these company’s? Hulu does show many of the cw shows, but not very many changes shows. Could you tell me where I can watch season 1 of supergirl?

14. Dr. M says:

Funny, I was tuning in for the Cat Grant show with Supergirl.
    Disappointing.

15. Joey Padron says:

Happy she’ll be coming back in new season! She’s great as Cat Grant!

16. Debbie says:

I guess I’m alone in this, but I could care less if CF returns or not. The name of the show is Supergirl, not The Cat Grant Show featuring Supergirl. I found her character to be annoying at best, so this is a boon as far as I can tell.

17. parstl says:

The Cat Grant /Kara dynamic was a key story arc of season one. Cat was Karas mentor despite her over the top style. She added a lot of character to the ambiance. I’m glad she is not entirely gone but this puts added burden on the writers and other cast.

18. Michelene says:

Calista Flockhart helps make this show. She is a breath of fresh air and it won’t be the same without her. The combination with “Supergirl” works and makes for interesting shows. If she is not the head of CatCo, what will be her role? We need a tough woman in that role and it’s Calista Flockhart. She is tough, rude, strong and has a soft heart when it comes to SG. Can this new guy have those same qualities?

19. Eric says:

I think this will benefit the show. I love CF but Cat Grant is such a big character that she would work better in smaller doses. It would save the writers the effort of shoehorning her in every story. Plus when she does appear it would be more special.

20. RichieS says:

So will her son ( Mr. Benoist ) be recurring this year to bridge the gap to Cat?

21. Rahajicho says:

This is sad because Cat is arguably the best thing about the show. But it makes sense, given Kara’s promotion, that Cat wouldn’t be around to give great advice all the time.

22. Tina Rowland says:

Show won’t last long without Calista, hope she is on alot.