Fall TV Preview

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Jason O'Mara Cast as New Director for Season 4

Agents of SHIELD Director Jason OmaraMystery solved: Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. now report to Jason O’Mara.

TVLine has learned that the Irish actor has boarded Season 4 of the ABC series as S.H.I.E.L.D’s new Director, specifically-ish playing a character “whose Marvel roots go back to the 1940s.” Hmm….

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Season 3 finale of course ended with a six-month time jump, and Coulson and Mack in futile pursuit of Quake aka Daisy. Afterward, it was revealed that there’s someone new in charge of the titular covert organization.

“Bringing Jason into the mix as the new Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. forces everyone, particularly Coulson, to reevaluate their role in the Agency,” says Marvel TV chief Jeph Loeb. “Jason has both the physical presence and acting dynamics that will connect with and challenge even the most loyal agent.”

Previously announced Season 4 casting includes Gabriel Luna (Wicked City) as Robbie Reyes aka Ghost Rider and Lilli Birdsell (The Walking Dead: Webisodes) as Lucy, a beautiful woman with a very violent streak.

O’Mara’s previous TV credits include Complications, The Good Wife, Sons of Liberty, Terra Nova and Life on Mars.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. opens Season 4 on Tuesday, Sept. 20, now airing an hour later, at 10/9c.

VIDEO: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Cast Talks
New Director, Sexier Time Slot and More

1. klutzy_girl (@klutzy_girl) says:

Excuse me, why isn’t the director May? She’s certainly qualified for the job (although I would prefer Mack, because he did a better job in his one day as director than Coulson ever did).

2. JP says:

Disappointing…thats all I got to say.

3. Kate Garner says:

I’m playing “wait and see.” I love Jason O’Mara. Any thoughts on who he might be playing? In the books, Colonel Rick Stoner was the first Director. But, the show sways from the books, like everything else in the MCU. On the other hand, he is Irish, perhaps he is related to Dum Dum Dugan?

4. Misti says:

Was Jim Duggan Irish? :) That’s who he physically reminded me of for some reason– a descendant of DumDum. :)

@klutzy_girl My guess is that it’s not May (or anyone else from Coulson’s team) because they need to distance themselves from the fallout that the team’s actions caused.

5. Wayne says:

Haha just Jason O’Mara? Not “Complications vet checks into SHIELD?” Or “DC’s Batman to become SHIELD director?” Haha what a wasted chance for click bait.

6. N says:

Well this must be the last season…

• Big Mike says:

Yup. He’s definitely a show killer. Should’ve just cast Jerry O’Connell or Ted McGinley.

• Laura says:

That’s precisely what I was going to say. I really like him, but cancellation follows him like an albatross

• Mo says:

So agree-I do like him but his track record is an issue-definitley a show killer although “The good wife” kept going awhile.

7. LisaP says:

Maybe the new director is somehow related to Peggy.

8. Luis says:

Marvel wasn’t satisfied riding the edge, so they’ve hired TV’s reigning No. 1 show-killer? good luck!

9. I hope he’s Jim Hammond.

• clintbrew says:

i was gonna say the human torch but fox may have the rights even though jim hammond was the human torch first they might have to call him the torch

10. Aaron says:

Great casting choice! I love Jason O’Mara. Just when I was ready to give you up SHIELD, you find a way to pull me back in. Hopefully, the character is fleshed out well and not one-dimensional. Most of SHIELD’s best characters are dead (Tripp, Lincoln, Rosalind, Victoria Hand) or MIA (Bobbi and Lance!).

11. sammy says:

Ugh I hope he doesn’t play a douchey character like on good wife or half of the other shows he has been on…
    Maybe he is related to De Sousa??

12. Dominique says:

oh yay, i really like jason, can’t wait to see his character! :D

13. James Rapien says:

Well the show is definitely canceled now.

14. Vkatnyte says:

God I hope it’s Nick Fury Sr.
    Make it so Marvel!!!!

15. Reba42 says:

OMG! I’ve loved him since Life on Mars. I hope he gets to use his Irish accent this time.

16. Joey Padron says:

I thought it would be one of main cast that would be new director. Jason is a good pick to be new director of Shield. Looking forward to see how he does on the show in new season!

17. William says:

Mess up the recipe and the cookies taste like crap…this will be the final season of shield.

18. lrdslvrhnd says:

Well, this show’s done. Much as I like him (and I do), has O’Mara been in anything that survived the season?

19. SonOfCoul says:

Clay Quartermain?

20. PatriciaLee says:

Now, I’ll see the show!

21. The Carpooler says:

Will he crossover to the movie universe as well? I can’t think of anyone besides Coulson or Fury, honestly, Clark or Samuel, in the roles. Love SHIELD though.

22. Mad Hobbit says:

well he could be a hard liner when it comes to enhanced people , and more so on inhumans. after all Daisy did betray SHIELD (due to mind control) and her mother attacked SHIELD. and her father was a bit of a villain himself ,what if he overturns the orders about her father and he is captured or killed? I could see him giving her a kill order on a mission, and she telling him where to stuff it sideways. he could take the stance(she has been compromised before how can we trust her now.) he might be the grandson of one of the chars hero or villain from the Peg Carter series.

23. kirads09 says:

Love Omara. Thrilled to hear this. I think he will bring a very interesting dynamic to the team.

24. Dj says:

Jim Hammond(Android/Human Torch) is character from the 40s and since LMDs will play a part in this season they could easily make the new Director one.

25. Jeffrey McGraw says:

Could the the real Dum Dum though he was played by Neil McDonough in Agent Carter. Maybe Happy Sam Sawyer?I think this is a precursor to Coulson going back to the Avengers’ movies. And by the way, would it hurt ABC/Disney to plop in a cameo by video link or something of one of the A team? They are rarely mentioned but from them springs all things SHIELD. Which master does this series serve? The fans or the corporates?

26. Brenda says:

Ok with this as long as it doesn’t cut any Coulson airtime. I really like that little dude, hope that back in the field he gets to kick butt more and also display his sense of humor. I loved it in the pilot when he emerged from the shadows and said welcome to level 8 and then joked it’s really dark back there.

27. Bob D says:

I take it that this is the last season for Agents of Shield. Let’s face it, I like Jason O’Mara but his track record is one and gone for TV shows he is in. Look at the list, all the shows (plus “Vegas”) only last at best one season except the “Good Wife” which he only played a minor character for a short period. His addition despite his talent does not inspire hope for a long life for a series.

28. Leslie Davis says:

Oh yum!! Love Coulson but can’t wait to see O’Mara.

29. Peter Cox says:

Maybe he is Percy Pinkerton, another Howling comando. Plus he’s dropped lines about the “manly named” character he’s playing.

30. Brizahd says:

H.a.m.m.e.r. Time Mr. Osborn!