The Race Card with Charles Barkley

TNT Orders The Race Card Discussion Series Hosted By Charles Barkley

TNT is playing The Race Card.

The cabler has enlisted Charles Barkley to host the six-episode unscripted series that will find the NBA legend traveling around America in an effort to “bust up the echo chamber mentality that so often has people retreating to corners of the like-minded, where views are reinforced and ideas are distorted into angry, unexamined groupthink conclusions.”

Said Berkley in a statement: “We as Americans never discuss the issue of race in this country and how it impacts everything in our lives until something bad happens. I see this project as a way to talk about race, class and cultural differences and challenge everyone’s status quo.”

In each of the six episodes, Barkley will “take on the rapidly calcifying positions around today’s hot-button topics. He will seek out the sharpest and most varied viewpoints from today’s cultural leaders and tastemakers. He will then challenge and probe those ideas, even trying them out on himself.”

The series set to launch in early 2017.

1. Mick says:

Are they serious? Charles Barkley. When has he shown competence as a host and when has he said anything intelligent about race?

• ibjbyron says:

Amen. This show already exists in remarkable fashion on CNN with W. Kamau Bell’s “United Shades of America.”

2. I’m amazed how people try to silence discussion and debate on certain issues by tossing the race card on the table in a vain attempt to make the debate into something sinister and ugly. The latest dealer from the bottom of the rhetorical deck is none other than Vancouver Sun writer Pete McMartin.

3. AngelWasHere says:

LOL Charles Barkley? Are they serious? He’s the male Stacy Dash!

4. Garry Bonnemere says:

Please, don’t do this!!!

5. Chicago says:

Personally I would like to see someone else from the NBA like Melo, Kenny Smith, or even Shaq , Not Barkley!

• Adam Reedy says:

Why? Because Barkley comes at the blm issue on the side of Richard Sherman? “Dealt with a best friend getting killed … it was two 35-year-old black men. Wasn’t no police officer involved, wasn’t anybody else involved, and I didn’t hear anybody shouting “black lives matter” then … and I think that’s the point we need to get to is that we need to deal with our own internal issues before we move forward and start pointing fingers and start attacking other people. ” – Richard Sherman

• Johnny Appleseed says:

So what if after 911 when we asked our allies around the world to join us and fight terrorism they said ” hey thousands of Americans are killed by Americans each year, not by terrorist but by American on American crime. Where are the marches? Where are the speeches? Before you ask us to deal with terrorist who killed 3000 deal with your own issues where tens of thousands more are killed?” Should you agree with them? I personally would slap the shinolla out of any fool who said that? How about you?

• CHicago Finest says:

@Adam,
        I am so very tired of comments such as yours, and comments especially coming from the deep-seeded ignorance of Richard Sherman. This ideology gives a straight up negative narrative relating to black folks, making it seem as though blacks do not care about one another. That’s just ridiculous. As a black person I realize we do have internal problems, no doubt , all races do, but at root is the issue of systemic institutionalized racism. Just a few days ago, there was a march here in Chicago against the violence, did anyone hear about that? You know if Sherman or you feel BLM isn’t doing enough to stop black violence, y’all can always take over and form a group & do something about the violence. After all it does nothing to sit on one’s butt, talking loud & doing nothing, that’s what it amounts to.

Charles Barkley is the wrong person to host the show. I know I won’t watch it.

• ahemahem says:

Melo seems to have the mantle, but he’s busy playing ball.

6. Quinton Nixon says:

Charles Barkley has proven he does not represent the views of most African Americans time and time again. He needs to he restricted to sports only. This is a terrible idea that will result in misinformation and negativity. The host will be responsible for the issues.

• ntrs says:

“that will result in misinformation and negativity”

That’s the intent. The media makes good money off of widening racial divisions and then reporting on the bad news that comes as a result of their “work”.

7. Srriii says:

Will the people be from every culture and level of society or will they be whites and black becuse that is who you mostly pander to or rich that have it great or poor people that live off the system and complain about everything and blame raceism will you be confronting as american man looking for the truth or as a black man tiltin the picture i think youll do the right thing

8. ahemahem says:

I blame the Trump phenomenon. Some Americans will listen to anything.

9. Christin says:

I have a better idea. Can TNT and Charles Barkley just… not? I would greatly prefer if they didn’t. If Barkley was just like “I wanna chat race” I’d be cool with it. But the entire idea of “breaking groupthink that makes people angry” invalidates the fact that people actually have something to be angry about. Racial inequality and injustice dating back to the beginning of our nation? That’s something to be angry about. I don’t need a bunch of people telling me that the only reason I feel the way I do as a young Black woman in America is simply the result of my inferior logic bowing to groupthink mentality. And I super duper don’t need a man whose sole claim to fame is athletic prowess and analysis telling me this. People who want to tell others how to feel and think-as Barkley’s first quote indicates he very much so desires to do-should probably… idk, not do that.

10. I. Hayden says:

The man can’t even pronounce the word, race card! We shouldn’t allow this old divide and conquer tactic to be put on the air. Please boycott the show people. He is not qualified to speak objectively or intelligently on the topic.

11. ahemahem says:

TNT, this is a shot in the foot if there ever was one. Watch my words: this will kill your NBA on TNT program.

12. ntrs says:

…just another show telling white people that you’re the center of every problem in this nation and the further stripping of your identity will be the fix for these problems…

This isn’t getting rid of groupthink or the echo chamber. It is a reinforcement of it.

13. KENNY says:

Can’t wait, Should be very entertaining.

14. Sir Charles you are the right man for the job.This is a project that should have been commissioned years ago.
    America needs to sit down at the table of Brotherhood and depart unified in the knowledge that positive results will be achieved…. Go and do your thing… When you come to the Bahamas dinner is on me!

15. Ned says:

The buck dancing continues

16. Tawana says:

This will be a diaster! They picked the most ill advised individual to take on this very important topic? Really!

17. TiaGata says:

Why would they chose a man that has no REAL regard for Black people. Just because you’re Black doesn’t mean you can empathize with Black people. I still remember the Black man that got affirmative action abolished (look what that did for Black folks being able to compete “fairly” in the job market and higher education). Then we have Clarence Thomas, that sits on a court that makes a lot of adverse decisions pertaining to Black folk. And lastly I will name Cornell West and Tavis Smiley as other Black men that do not have much good to say about the way Black people are discriminated against. But I suppose once you make it, you don’t have to remember where you came from (at least some folk don’t).

• Bryon says:

Wow, TiaGata — you’re angry and hateful. Not every POC is filled with such self loathing as you are. Quit blaming others for the failures of so many black folks. Step up! The system isn’t rigged against us! I’m professionally successful, I married my wife BEFORE we became parents, our children don’t use drugs, our oldest daughter is in medical school (full academic scholarship), we live in the ‘burbs’, we have integrated our entire lives into the beautiful world around us. BLM rhetoric is for those who are stuck in the historical self hate cycle of blaming ‘white’ folks for out failures….. “Black” is a color. “Black” is not a culture. “Black” is not who anyone is. We are God’s children. Nothing more, nothing less.

18. Justjudy says:

Your choice of host….awful. I will leave it as that. Most in my community don’t respect this dude. I will make sure none of my TVs tune in

19. Frances Holley Blount says:

I am puzzled by the selection of Charles Barkley for this project. There are loads of more qualified individuals that could lead this discussion so that participants could be the most benefit. Barkley needs some help with his grammar and limited vocabulary.

20. KHALIQ says:

Ha haaa This is a Joke Right?

21. Bmore Real says:

Only makes sense if it airs on Fox. Barkley and Jordan for that matter are jokes. Want both entertainment and real talk… get Gilbert Arenas or Rasheed Wallace. Melo is too busy, but how about any INC whistle-blower Rashad McCants?

22. Courtney J Everett says:

This is very interesting! Would you please keep me informed on this show, I have some questions I would like to ask.