Sesame Street Cast Cut Bob Gordon Luis

Sesame Street Shake-Up: Bob, Others Cut as Result of 'Evolving' Curriculum

The cutting of three veteran Sesame Street cast members was the result of the educational children’s series’ “evolving” curriculum and thus characters, and not any HBO interference, producers said in a statement on Thursday.

In the wake of recent reports that Bob McGrath and Emilio Delgado (pictured above) and Roscoe Orman — who played Bob, Luis and Gordon for 45, 45 and 42 years, respectively — had been let go concurrent with the show’s retooling for HBO, Sesame Workshop issued a statement stating that cast changes go hand-in-hand with curriculum and content changes. It was also stated that Sesame Workshop, even in its new pay-cable home, “retains sole creative control, while HBO “does not” have a hand in production decisions.

The retooled Sesame Street aired its Season 46 premiere on HBO this past January, running a “dynamic” 30 minutes (versus an hour) and offering a new episode every Saturday morning.

Sesame Workshop noted that the three “beloved cast members” “remain a part of the Sesame family” and as such “will continue to represent us at public events.”

1. Michael says:

This will not end well.

2. JosiahBartlet4President says:

What is the world coming to? This is just wrong.

3. Brian says:

Pretty sad thing to do.

4. Phun says:

It’s the end of Sesame Street as we know it. :(

5. mary says:

“Evolving”? So that means older people are not allowed? What exactly are they doing to evolve that doesn’t include these people? So help me if they change Big Bird, Oscar, or Grover I say “major boycott”.

6. APFW says:

They helped me with my education goals many moons ago, There is no Sesame Street without them.

7. iHeart says:

that’s it I want PBS to control Sesame Street again

8. ninamags says:

It’s not like if anybody can watch this anyway. A lot of people don’t have HBO.

The people who would benefit the most from this amazing, educational, once-great show don’t have access to this premium channel.

• Gospino says:

The episodes are to air on PBS nine months after they debut on HBO. You can still see them for free. Without HBO stepping in, there would be no new episodes.PBS used to cover only a small fraction of the budget for each episode; the vast majority was raised by the people behind the show. HBO stepping is in a huge financial relief for them,

9. Jason says:

you’re all going to whine and complain in the comment section but you’re not watching anymore. Shows have to evolve or die

• Sheri says:

Gosh, that is so sad. I hope the people here still watch Sesame Street. I have allways watched. Always contributed to PBS. Always a supporter of real educational television. I am Teacher. Mother. Wife. Sister. Community Member. Citizen. The show aired two months after I was born. You don’t lose touch with something you know works. The only people who may ever stop watching Sesame Street may be those who do not have any children in their lives, but all the grandparents, babysitters, neighbors, teachers , anyone involved with kids, still watch Sesame Street.

• Zoe says:

Well, yeah. We’re not three years old anymore. But I know for a fact that when I have kids of my own, I’ll be watching right there with them.

10. Gregory Eckes says:

Wait a minute, you fired them from the show, and expect them to represent you at events? They’re better people than I am.

11. Ted says:

I feel bad for the actors, but for my money the show hasn’t been the same since the breaking out of Elmo years ago. That was the start of the “dumbing down” of the show in order to get some of that sweet, sweet Barney audience.

12. Gospino says:

Firing only three 40+-year veterans is pretty pointed. If they just wanted the show to “evolve,” those gone would be a mix. Not all longtime members of the cast.

13. auntiemm says:

Ageism at its worst. I understand the show may want to evolve but what about losing the valuable lessons children learn from their older friends and relatives (and vice versa)? Don’t use them full-time but don’t cut them from the show completely.

14. Sheri says:

I am so sad to hear this. I don’t know how I didn’t realize Sesame Street wasn’t PBS driven anymore. HBO? a half hour? Re-airs on PBS? Evolving content and curriculum? People on Sesame Street were just ALWAYS there. They either died in real life or moved on to another show we could watch them on. They never just became Public Events representatives. I hope for the best, but if Sesame Street is moving away from their tried and true connection with children { learning through play and imagination, representing skits and scenes of strength in community, multicultural awareness, and social and family bonds and unity, blended with their ability to always keep counting, letters, colors, and social developmental learning written into well thought out skits and writing for children } then this will be another casualty of the “evolving curriculum” turning out drones instead of leaders. Sesame Street was not for creating antisocial little tech robots, it is about literacy and intelligence for all. You can’t do that in 30 minute badly written snippets. Good Luck HBO.

15. Fuchsia says:

Boo!

Bob, Emiilo, and Roscoe were parts of my childhood and the childhoods of millions of other people.

I hope they each receive honorary Emmys next year.

I guess “Sesame Street” is looking now for the young, hip Poochies.

16. Al says:

They can’t do that. It’s un-American. And besides, it’s not a very nice thing to do.

17. Ivy says:

My son is 15 now, but even when he was little, I only showed him classic episodes of Sesame Street (i.e. pre-Elmo).

18. Zoe says:

Okay, what do we have to do to buy Sesame Street back from HBO and give it back to PBS? What will it take? This is unacceptable.

19. ThatBob says:

Obviously, it’s important to teach kids that old people, no matter how much life experience they have, have nothing to teach the coming generations and are to be shunned.

20. Daya says:

Thank you for running my heart through the shredder, Sesame Workshop. Can I at least have the pieces back?

21. iakovos says:

The hourlong program on PBS was perfection. So, of course, we have to upset the status quo. not sure a change of this sort was needed.

22. Michelle says:

These three people have been there since I was a kid and taught me SO much more than letters and numbers. They stood for love, forgiveness, embracing differences in people, compassion, generosity, and everything else that is good and decent in human beings. Try “evolving” the curriculum back to that.

23. Lori says:

All this sesame street stuff has to do with MONEY. Don’t use your money for sesame street or HBO until they make their customers happy !!!!!!!!!!!

24. Bill Wilson says:

Sad fact is, these actors were ALREADY scaled way back, and have been for years! I interviewed Bob McGrath about ten years ago, and he was only working a few days a YEAR on the Street. For the past decade, you only had one or two human characters (not counting the kids) in any given episode. Long gone were the days when you’d see eight or nine people in the first five minutes of the camera pan. Merchandising has taken a hit over the years, which represented a LARGE part of Sesame Street’s viability.