Gilmore Girls Revival Teaser New Footage

Gilmore Girls Twist: Lorelai-Rory Teaser Trailer Scene Not Part of Revival

Amy Sherman-Palladino, you sneaky, chapeau-wearing little devil you.

On Wednesday, Netflix released the first teaser for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, and it included an extended scene between Lorelai and Rory bickering over the BFF potential of one Amy Schumer. TVLine has since learned that the sequence in question — which drew an immediate response from Schumer herself — will not actually be part of the upcoming revival. According to sources, AS-P crafted the scene specifically for the promo (a twist that was foreshadowed in my Gilmore-themed Facebook Live chat on Wednesday.)

Netflix also announced on Wednesday that the four-part continuation would be released in its entirety on Friday, Nov. 25 at 12:01 am (aka Black Friday). Sherman-Palladino confessed to being disappointed that the streaming giant chose not to honor her wishes and unspool the 90-minute installments one — or even two — at a time. “I  told them I was going to hang myself with a shower curtain if they put them all out at once, and they said, “Wow, OK,” she joked to reporters at the Television Critics Association summer press tour immediately following the announcement (read the full panel recap here).

“It’s such a journey and it’s such a build to the last four words,” she added. “However, you don’t always get what you want. I don’t have the ass I want. The good outweighs the bad in the sense that this is a wonderful place to create things and do things in a different way.”

1. TJ says:

Again ASP…. that’s not what Netflix does! They dump them all at once. My only problem is I will have family coming in that weekend so they might have to deal with me wearing headphones and watching a tablet. I will set my alarm for 3 AM EST to start watching.

• James says:

Not always. I feel like there’s a couple shows on Netflix that get released at least a week at a time. And this is only 4 episodes/movies- I’m sure they could’ve released them one a week or even one a day, if they still wanted to keep them close together.

• Simon Jester says:

It’s not necessarily “what Netflix does” — for instance, the upcoming 12 episodes of BLACK MIRROR will be released in two 6-episode batches, with no announced release date yet for the second batch.

• David4 says:

She should be happy they bothered to make the movies themselves.

Most get dumped at once, a few get separated because of co-ownership.

2. Bwhit says:

Which is why Lorelei was wearing that shirt I’m guessing.

3. Just to confirm Michael, the episodes are coming out 12:01 AM PT? Not ET? Sigh…I wish they came out on the east coast at 12:01 am.

4. sarah t says:

I kind of wondered if that trailer would even be in the show or not. Smart thinking on her part. It’s not like it’s needed at all, it’s a good way to get the fans excited, to give them what they want and still not give away too much.
    I’m not really disappointed that Netflix is dropping these all at once. Would it have been different/kind of nice? Yeah. However, to me the other logical way to do this would have been to drop them in the order of the seasons and I’m not really game for spacing these out 3 months apart either so… ;) If anything this might spike sales of the complete Gilmore Girls season set for Christmas if it brings in new fans.

• Shaun says:

what would this have actually given away?

• sarah t says:

This particular scene wouldn’t have given away anything (which is kind of why I thought it likely wasn’t part of the show) but if she would have done a traditional trailer (showing more characters, different settings and dialogue, etc) speculation and fan theories would have abounded.
        Which is why I thought this particular idea was a good one. It gives the fans what they want (the Gilmore Girls) without giving any indication as to plot details.

5. Shauna Antoszyk says:

I have always loved this show. I just watched the episode where Rory goes off to Yale and prayed my daughter turns out like Rory.

6. Johanna says:

a gilmore girls fan from Austria here. already counting down the minutes :-) I am just wondering if it´s possible that they are continuing with more episodes in the future? or is it a limited deal?

7. Deb says:

Thank goodness it’s not part of the show! It was horrible. Where is Rory’s spark? She sounds like she’s bored to tears and ready for tears at any moment. I expect the show to be a little different, it’s been eight years and people change. Hope the shows are everything I want them to be. I’m so excited I told my pregnant daughter who’s due that weekend to wait til Monday!

• Deb says:

I thought it was a little dull for them too, like they had to try too hard. But I have faith that the other 6 hours will be great.

8. Alice says:

Midnight on Black Friday!?
    I will fight the tryptophan, and I will win.

9. Deb says:

I wish they would seperate the releases but either way I can’t wait to watch. May have to DVR but thats okay because I’m sure I will watch more that once