One Day at a Time Netflix

One Day at a Time Reboot Gets Premiere Date at Netflix

Netflix (perhaps in a happenstance manner) celebrated Norman Lear’s 94th birthday by announcing on Wednesday a premiere date for its “reimagining” of One Day at a Time, one of myriad sitcoms the TV legend shepherded over the decades.

Premiering Friday, Jan. 6, 2017, the new series follows a Cuban-American family led by a recently separated, former military mom (Queen of the South‘s Justina Machado) as she navigates a new single life while raising her radical teenaged daughter (Matador‘s Isabella Gomez) and ‘tween son (Marcel Ruiz), with the “help” of her old-school, Cuban-born mom (EGOT winner Rita Moreno) and a friends-without-benefits building manager named Schneider (Grace and Frankie‘s Todd Grinnell).

Lear is among the named executive producers, along with Mike Royce, Gloria Calderón Kellett and Michael Garcia.

Additionally, Netflix set a Sept. 22 premiere date for Easy, its eight-episode anthology series set in Chicago and featuring among its ensemble Orlando Bloom, Malin Ackerman, Jake Johnson, Marc Maron, Dave Franco, Hannibal Buress, Emily Ratajkowski, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Aya Cash and Elizabeth Reaser, while Captive, a new docu-series that promises “privileged access to the most challenging negotiations of our time,” will debut Dec. 9.

1. stop the insanity! says:

further proof that there’s nothing new under the sun. One Day At a Time, like Full House, ain’t broke, so why the heck does some knucklehead wanna fix it???

Netflix queue no.

• Jorge L. says:

Trust me, I’ve seen a few of these episodes and they’re INCREDIBLE. Definitely gonna be up for some Emmys. Just watch the first episode and you’ll see that this is a funny, emotional, unique type of show.

• Sue says:

Its not unique if its a reboot of a show from the 70’s. Unique means one of a kind. It might be good, but its a copy. At least the reboot of Full House are the same actors and actresses in the original, its just the story of the kids grown up. They can’t do that with One Day at a Time, because Pat Harrington and Bonnie Franklin are not here.

2. Sue says:

I won’t watch a remake of One Day at a Time, not that it wouldn’t be good, but to me One Day at a time is and always be the original cast. I don’t like remakes with other people. I’m not saying not to make shows that represent today’s world, but please don’t copy, be original. Most remakes do not make it. Look how many times they tried to remake the Odd Couple, it doesn’t work. At the time, One Day at a Time came out, it was new and innovative, but a remake won’t be.

3. Randy says:

I’ve watched three episodes so far and this is a very funny and heart warming show! It may be a reboot but it is worth watching. I’m hooked. Rita Moreno is the best!

4. J says:

I just watched the full first season of the new One day at a time.. It’s amazing made me laugh an cry I watched the whole season in two days.. Thank you for bringing back the true meaning of sitcom…