Gilmore Girls Release Date Announced — Plus: Watch the First Teaser!

Gilmore Girls fans will have a lot to be grateful for this Thanksgiving.

As announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour (read full panel recap here), Netflix’s four-part revival of the beloved WB/CW dramedy — titled Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life — will be released on Friday, Nov. 25 at 12:01 am PT. And yes, all four 90-minute chapters/mini-movies will be dropped at once, despite series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino’s dream of a staggered release.

And now for the even bigger news: Netflix also unveiled the first footage from the revival, and it confirms (as if there was any doubt!) that the new episodes will be drenched with current pop culture references. The 90-second clip opens with a tour of Stars Hollow before landing in Lorelai and Rory’s kitchen, where the mother and daughter bicker over the friendship potential of one Amy Schumer. (Follow my live blog of the Gilmore Girls TCA panel here for more fresh intel.)

A fourth quarter release had been buzzed about ever since April, when Netflix announced that the continuation would launch sometime “later this year.” Principal photography wrapped in May and Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino — who wrote and directed all four 90-minute chapters — are in deep into post-production.

“We didn’t really want to do a reboot of the series,” Sherman-Palladino previously told TVLine. “We thought if we were going to do something, we wanted to do something a little special. I love Sherlock. And I love their format, because their [episodes are more] than just an episode. They’re upwards of 90 minutes long sometimes. So we thought, “Why don’t we do something like that?” Originally we were going to pitch three [episodes]. And then we thought… four seasons, because seasons were so big with the show. It was snow and fall and spring and festivals… it defined [Stars Hollow] a lot. And we thought that’d be a lovely way to catch up with all three of our Gilmore Girls over the course of a year.”

Check out the teaser trailer above and then hit the comments with your reaction to the footage and the premiere date!

1. Rob says:

THIS WAS EVERYTHING.

2. Alicia says:

YES PLEASE.

3. Mariah says:

All at once. Over the Thanksgiving holiday. I will watch them all together, I won’t be able to help myself, and then I’ll need WEEKS to get over the fact that there aren’t any more stories after that. Gaaaaaaaah.

4. Luis says:

I’m putting in my prediction on the long awaited final four words of the series right now:
    Luke: “More coffee?”
    Lorelai: “Yes, please!”

• Jennifer says:

I still say … Mom, it’s a BOY! OR, it’s another Gilmore Girl

• A says:

Nah, they wrote the four words for the original finale, when Rory was 22. There’s no way Amy S-P (or the stars, for that matter) would have wanted Rory to have a baby so young when she had such big career ambitions. Those would be great words to end the series with now though.

• Lindsay says:

Except it’s already confirmed that Lorelai and Rory say the final four words

• Baker Girl says:

are you sure that’s been confirmed… I know that Lauren Graham said “we” but in the article she never indicated who the “we” was except for her of course…. it could very well be… we… meaning Lorelai and Emily or Lorelai and Luke or Lorelai and… ?

• Anj says:

Great guess !!!

• Gregory Hoffman says:

Sorry, hope you all enjoy, I could care less. The talk toooooooo much, with “too cleaver(sp?) and cutsie dialogue. Best thing out of that show was the chubby chef!

5. HeyThere says:

Where you lead I will follow 😭😭😭 i seriously cant wait for this!

6. Corinne says:

Oh how I loved this!!! I have missed the Gilmore Girls sooo much!! Can’t wait to see this & really hoping they do more!!

7. Jennifer says:

Hallelujah!! Yea!! I have something to avoid family with!!!!

8. Kristine says:

So excited! This is everything :)

9. Lysh says:

I got a little flail-y. They’re both so on point, it’s like they never stopped playing these roles.

10. Laura says:

I can’t even speak, i’m crying so much

11. Nerwen Aldarion says:

Omg this made me laugh so hard! My favorite Gilmore Witt is back!!!

12. girlwiredin says:

Rory looks SO grown up!!

13. TJ says:

I am literally in tears from laughing in my cubicle I’m so excited!

14. Falcon says:

THAT WAS PERFECT. I loved the editing, the music, everything. It felt like coming home again. I can’t wait to cuddle up with my blanket, my mom, and some warm drinks on the couch and watch it over Thanksgiving weekend.

Also, kudos to Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel! They had the Gilmore cadence back down perfect. It’s a hard rhythm to replicate if you are out of practice. EEEEK! I CANT WAIT!

15. Jenn says:

So. Much. Awesome.

16. victoria rodeno says:

I see some binge watching over Thanksgiving weekend!!!!

17. AUGH!!!!!!! Best Black Friday ever!

18. Lexie says:

OOOHHH!!! something to watch while standing in line!!!!! God I can’t wait!

19. Terithecook says:

11/25 can’t come soon enough

20. Richard Nickell says:

Time to pull out the boxed seasons of Gilmore Girls and start the marathon watching to recap and plan to stay in and do nothing but watch the new movies

21. Danielle says:

I can’t wait!!! Perfect day to release it when people have time off. Unless of course you work in retail. Guess I better start watching all the seasons again.

22. BetsyBoo says:

The squeeing at my desk had dogs two counties over howling in reply. ALL OF THE THINGS.

23. koopaqt says:

I’m even more excited now!!

24. dragons3 says:

I’m already stocking up on hot chocolate (sorry, I don’t like coffee), whipped cream, and snacks! Can’t wait! But,oh how I wish Edward Herrmann had lived to do this. He lent a gravitas to the show that will be missed.

25. Rahajicho says:

Yes, the interminable wait has an end date.

26. BrianR says:

I’m choking up already.

27. Linda says:

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND SUCKS!

28. Eva says:

This gave me actual goosebumps

29. Whatevah says:

Can’t wait!

30. Phillip says:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!! We need more season after theses 4 episodes. It cannot just be finished after this!!

31. Baker Girl says:

11-25-16 Yes!!! and we can’t wait!!! :) :) So very glad that they are being dropped all at once. May Netflix and the internet be well equiped to handle the pressure of EVERYONE watching them all at once :) :)

oh, and what if the “final” four words are… It was Always You

32. Baker Girl says:

I suppose that the last 4 words could be a tribute to the opening scene of the series…. Luke, please Luke… please…… with Lorelai holding a coffee cup in her hands begging for one more cup of coffee :)

33. Bwhit says:

Thanksgiving weekend is exactly when I wanted it!!!! I may have to take a power nap Thanksgiving night and start right when it’s released. This might be greedy but I hope for a trailer with Luke, Emily and more before it is released.

34. Allie says:

I find the shirt Lorelai is wearing intriguing. “I’m with human?” Hmmmm… Is that a maternity shirt perhaps?

35. David4 says:

There is a corp flower about to bloom in Washington DC this week. i have seen one, they are an amazing plant because the one I saw bloomed fully for about 2-3 hours then started to die. I didn’t think it smelled that bad by the time I got there 6 hours later. But it’s stunning and HUGE and then this 3 foot flower mass becomes a 30 foot tree. If you get the chance go see it.

36. Luli says:

Ahh the La La gave me chills!!! I can’t wait for this!!!!!!

37. Frank says:

So excited! As I watched the trailer I cried tears of joy at seeing all the stars hollow sights. I laughed out loud at the conversation., And immediately began planning for the release. The joy of knowing new episodes will be here soon is everything. I hope this is so huge Netflix looks to give us future seasonal movies.

38. jenna says:

I was smiling all throughout the trailer. I *want* to spread out the season and watch one a day but I’m already so excited I doubt i’ll be able to stick to that

39. Stacey C says:

Woohoo! Happy Birthday to me!!

40. abz says:

I literally had to stop the video after 5 seconds because I started crying from just hearing the background music again. All the nostalgia hit me. And then the two of them sitting at the table together talking about just randomness and pop culture references, it’s like nothing’s changed. I CAN’T WAIT!!!!

41. CeCe says:

I am literally crying. My husband is looking at me like I’m crazy. Yay!

42. Amy B says:

Tears of Joy and Magic!!!!

43. Kelly says:

Woohoo! Finally a date and a trailer! No Black Friday shopping until I watch all 4 episodes back to back!!!!!!

44. anandasky says:

I am giving thanks already!!!!

45. Tracy says:

I’m surprised by all the rave comments! I, too a huge GG fan, but the kitchen scene in the trailer didn’t seem natural. And… I don’t care for Amy Schumer! Rachel McAdams or Emma Thompson would have been much “cooler” current references!

46. Baker Girl says:

At the end of season 7… Jackson and Sookie are expecting a “new arrival”… I’d like to know if this “new arrival” is in “A Year in the Life” or did the Palladinos ignore this little element…

47. Norkir says:

WWWWAAAAHHHH! That just made the wait 10Xworse!!!

48. April says:

I never want this show to end

49. linda olone says:

this was one of the best shows on tv it was funny and about family and love and delt with real life. wish it would come back on permanently. need this show back.i watched every episode and all my family too. the cast ioneof a kind and they click.

50. Jennifer says:

First, let me say that I have loved Gilmore Girls since the start. And I know I’m probably going to get clobbered for this. I’ve been watching the reruns (between Netflix and the Up Network it’s always on) and the more I watch it, the more I really can’t stand Luke. towards the later seasons, he just gets … I don’t know … I guess it’s jealous but he doesn’t listen to reason. And after the call from Christopher and he tells Lorelei that they need honesty, he keeps April a secret. And then refuses to let her around? Really? I understand keeping some distance at first (I’m a single mom, so I understand), but this went on for MONTHS.

And don’t get me started on Rory. she is so different at the beginning of the show vs. the end. She turned into a spoiled, entitled brat. The turning point (for me) was the episode where her grandparents through her the “Yale” party to introduce her to other boys (to get her away from Dean). Logan was so bad for her I don’t see how they lasted. Dean is an a$$. Jess was the only one who did anything for her. He grew up; they others, not so much.

I’m still going to watch the “year in the life,” but I may not watch that first weekend. I’m thinking spending the time with my family might be more important.