Seth Meyers Slams 'Bernie or Bust' Die- Hards: 'Stop Crying,' Support Hillary

Seth Meyers on Tuesday took to task a particular set of Bernie Sanders die-hards for continuing to deny their support to his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.

The Late Night host not only condemned the “Bernie or Bust” movement, but went so far as to claim that those who are still anti-Clinton are the reason why Sanders will have to campaign for the Democratic presidential nominee through Election Day.

His impassioned, humorous plea to rally the remaining holdouts was inspired by his viewing of Night 1 of the Democratic National Convention, which he claimed was “marred, not by all Bernie supporters, but by a small percentage… who chanted and booed through most of the evening.”

“Look, I know you’re ‘Bernie or Bust,’ but the results are in: ‘bust’ won,” he argued. “We don’t have time for this. Donald Trump is ahead in the polls [and] the house is on fire. Stop crying ’cause we’re not putting it out with your hose.”

The NBC funnyman then attempted to paint a picture of what life would be like for “Bernie or Bust” supporters should Trump defeat Clinton come November:

“We are on the cusp of electing a racist demagogue and that never ends well. I don’t know which class you ditched to go to those Bernie rallies but I have a feeling it was History. … I know what you’re gonna say: ‘I don’t know anyone who’s planning to vote for Trump.’ Oh, you don’t? Did you ask everybody in your yoga class? Did you check with the entire drum circle? Because guess what: You know how you have that crazy uncle you only see at Thanksgiving? Well this country is about 48 percent crazy uncles, and it’s about to be Thanksgiving all day, everyday.”

Watch Meyers’ rallying cry above, then weigh in with a comment.

1. mooshki says:

Good for him. Everyone knows the best way to bring someone over to your side is to insult and make fun of them.

• K says:

It seems to be working for Trump.

• Temperance says:

When your children act like that, they receive the same treatment. Grow up, drop the juvenile millennial tantrum and get with the program. The alternative is too heinous to think about.

• mooshki says:

You’ve just finished reading ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People,’ haven’t you?

p.s. I’m a few decades too old to be a “millennial.” I’ve been around long enough to know that voting for the “lesser evil” is part of what’s gotten us into this colossal mess.

• Rick says:

What colossal mess!? Seriously, think about where we were as a country at the end of W’s presidency and where we are now. Is it perfect? No, but we are on the right road.

At this point, the last Buster hold outs deserve to be insulted. As a gay American I find it insulting that they would put my rights at risk because they didn’t get their revolution the way they wanted it.

• David4 says:

Ummm…. As a gay American who voted for Bernie Sanders and know two other queer Americans that also voted for him, none of use are voting for Clinton. None. You can try to guilt people to believe your BS, but we will not have it. The DNC and the media can attack us all they want, but we will not cave to their corruption. The only one to blame with Trump wins are Republicans and the DNC.

• Rick says:

“You can try to guilt people to believe your BS, but we will not have it.”

I wasn’t trying to guilt anyone and it’s definitely not BS to me. If you truly believe that a Clinton presidency would be just as bad as a Trump presidency, especially as a gay man, than there’s no getting through to you.

• Mary says:

I believe that some people are their own worst enemies and nothing will ever change that. Some are incapable of looking at the big picture even when it is staring at them in the face. As far as I am concern they lose the right to complain if they don’t participate.

• The Kaibosh says:

Then if you’re as old as you say with the experience that goes with it, you should be able to recognize a fascist when see one. Knock it off and do something productive.

• Lucifer says:

Fear mongering and insults won’t get Bernie supporters to join the Hillary zombies.

• Chris says:

Susan Sarandon and A LOT of the Bernie or Bust crew are not millenials. Quit blaming millenials for every crap situation. Fact is, there just aren’t that many Bernie or Bust-ers and the attention they’re getting far outpaces their numbers.

• Andrew says:

Hillary supporters are the ones acting like children. “Vote for her or else!” Why don’t you threaten to hold your breath until you turn blue? I’ll wait.

• Mary says:

I don’t think they are saying or else. They are pointing out the options and if you truly were behind Bernie then his platform is closer to Clinton’s than Trump. If your upset with him not being elected then be a mature adult and stop acting like a petulant child. Booing people, being argumentative, and violence isn’t going to help your cause.

• Lucifer says:

You all seemed to be fine with Bernie supporters when they were violently attacking Trump rallies this past year. And shaming or scaring people into siding with you is also not going to help your cause.

• Dude says:

Well literally nothing else worked so maybe now is the time to ridicule and insult people who are behaving in a manner worthy of ridicule and insults.

• mooshki says:

“Nothing else” like trying to make the party make a sincere attempt to look at the problems the progressives are worried about? I guess you’re right – ridiculing and insulting is a hell of a lot easier than making real change for the good of the people.

• TJ. Church says:

“Making real change for the good of the people” is what Bernie was about… Instead, we’re either going to get one of the rich leading a largely-poor country, or yet another “President Clinton” (which is, regardless of what the calendar may say, not actually a change since we had that before with a man who is the only reason this year’s candidate has that surname).

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

I support HRC, but I have to agree with you here. It’s going to take a little more time for the wounds to heal, and we should do our best to be patient with Bernie supporters. But I hope that we will all see the importance of defeating Trump, especially because SCOTUS seats are at stake.

2. Daya says:

48% crazy uncles! xD

3. dan says:

As a Bernie supporter I’m awfully tired of smug celebrity asswipes berating me for reusing to vote for a criminal scumbag. A bully of rape victims. A person so monumentally either stupid or corrupt that she cannot be trusted with state secrets. A person who has used every governmental position she’s ever held to enrich herself seeking profit like a Ferengi. A person who believes us so stupid and herself so far above the law that she doesn’t even try to hide it anymore. A person who hired a person who conspired to defraud Bernie of his chance to really lead us into a much brighter future the day after she resigned her position in disgrace. So, screw you, Seth Meyers and Sarah Silverman too. I’m voting independent and so are a large percentage of other Bernie supporters and if you don’t like it you shouldn’t have tried to feed us a dookie sandwich and tried to tell us it was high cuisine. #iloveyoubernie

• dan says:

Oops, forgot to mention her barely closeted racism. My apologies!

• simplediscourse says:

Smug doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface. I’m right there with you!

• mooshki says:

Ha! I love the Ferengi comparison!

• K says:

It is a fact that either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump is going to be President. No matter how much you might hate Hillary, if you really cared about what Bernie stands for, then you would still vote for her. If Donald Trump wins then everything Bernie fought for will have been for nothing, because it doesn’t matter how much success he had in influencing the Democratic platform, if no one is there to implement it.

Clinton and Sanders might not agree on everything but you can’t deny that there is far more common ground between them than between Sanders and Trump. You might hate both Trump and Clinton, but if you do care about the issues then you should see that it’s far preferable to not have someone in the White House whose policies are so far removed from what Bernie stands for. Millions of people will suffer the consequences of a Trump presidency that could be avoided by making sure someone else is in the White House. And the only other option is Hillary Clinton.

And any Supreme Court Justice appointed by Trump would outlast his Presidency for decades. There would be no chance of Citizens United being overturned. The same can’t be said for Roe v Wade.

So hate Hillary Clinton all you want, but if you don’t vote for her anyway you can not say that you truly care about what Bernie stands for.

• matraupach says:

Should trump become president (and the polls look like he will be) then never dare to blame the Bernie or Bust people.
        There is a big misunderstanding!
        They won’t vote for Hillary because Bernie lost!
        They won’t vote for Hillary, because Hillary won!
        They dislike Hillary so much that most prefer to vote 3rd party.
        And yes many will vote for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson and even some for Trump, because they even think that Trump is the lesser evil!
        That’s what they think of Hillary!
        They don’t grief like little children because their candidate lost, like the media or many Hillbots think, they grief because the future to come might be about as horrible under Hillary as under Trump. (Many consider her to be just a democratic George W. Bush and that are the ones who think good of her)
        It is not the fault of the Bernie folks that Hillary is so unpopular, that was the mess she made on her own, some with the help of Debbie Wasserman Schultz, her new honorary campaign chair.

• Rick says:

No, if Trump becomes president (and no it’s not likely as every candidate get’s a boost in polls after their convention) it will not be the fault of the people that voted for the only other viable candidate.

I welcome Bernie’s (non buster) supporters to the Democratic party, you are the party’s future, and it is you who will ultimately shape Bernie’s revolution inside of it! The future of my party is brighter because of you!

As for the busters, as a gay man whose rights hang in the balance of the next Supreme Court appointments, I implore you to please reconsider.

• David says:

As a gay man who supports Trump, why is it you think that your rights will be taken away? What hangs in the balance? Using a woman’s restroom? We shouldn’t anyways. Most newly build establishments have family restrooms that anyone can use. Joining the military? Sorry, too ingrained with that to stop that at this point. Getting married? As a gay man, quit calling it marriage and you’ll get further with the right. People look at marriage between a man and a woman… fine, let them have that. As long as you get all the same “rights” call it a civil union. It would go a lot farther. Let’s see what other rights do you feel could hang in the balance? The right to vote? Nope, won’t be changed. The right to bear arms? Can’t see that one going away. The right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Sorry, not going to change.

• matraupach says:

First of all: he even lead Hillary in the polls before the GOP-Convention and unlike the DNC-Convention the Republicans got out united. So the next poll will most likely show an even stronger lead for Trump.

2nd. The Bernie supporters who weren’t members of the Democratic party will most likely never be. And many of those who are, about to leave the party (or have already done so if I followed that correct on Twitter) You don’t have to invite them to a party that never really wanted them.

3rd. For LGBT there is a strange twist:
            Trump might actually be better for you than Hillary. (Just google what their opinions are on the matter of LGBT people)
            But the Democrats are definitely better than the Republicans for you. (if you look at their respective platforms)

You should consider going Green ;)
            Because they deliver both: A good candidate AND a good platform!

Don’t vote for the lesser evil out of fear!
            Fight for your believes and never stop fighting!

If fighting for your dreams is called being childish, then I say:
            Be childish! Never let loose of your dreams!
            If you stop fighting for the future, you stop living!
            And never ever let anybody tell you what is impossible!
            True progress will only be achieved by people who don’t believe in the impossible!

• Andrea says:

@Rick, that is truly the nicest thing that I have read in days. I voted for Bernie, and Sarah Silverman is a bully. People have said that HRC needs my vote, and then I get treated like crap and called names. I live in a major swing state, and as much as Trump is awful, at least I KNOW he’s awful. I have no confidence that Hillary will do any of the things that she says in terms of Bernie once she gets into office. I have a huge problem with the fact that the DNC clearly stacked the deck, and all that’s being said is “Get over it, and vote for Hillary.” The DNC rigged the election and got away with it, and it’s not just about Bernie. It’s about who else were we denied hearing from just so Hillary could get elected. Trump may suck, but that doesn’t mean Hillary doesn’t suck, too.

• Mary says:

@David a lot of gay people don’t look at it like that sorry. You obviously are in the minority. Have you looked at Pence stance on gays. That alone should give your pause. What about business that can discriminate against you or don’t you care? What about Women have the right to control their own body? Doesn’t affect you so you probably don’t care. What about all the progress America has made to have other Countries as allies? What about the fact that only Russia and North Korea would find a Trump Presidency beneficial. – don’t care about that . Take all the social issues away do you really want a President who doesn’t think before he speaks. A President who has no diplomacy whatsoever. This is America you can pick whomever you want, but ever heard the expression grass isn’t greener on the other side.

• K says:

This is not about blaming people. I do not look down on the people who fought so hard and with so much passion, I applaud them. If Trump wins I will not blame Bernie supporters. But I do hope they keep doing everything they can to keep improving the country, even if it’s frustrating and slow. And I sincerely believe that if you look at the issues, Hillary Clinton is without a doubt the better of the only to viable choices. Unfortunately a third party candidate has no chance of winning the Presidency. You have to build the party up from the ground until that changes.
          I do believe that if you don’t win big you should embrace the little victories and continue to fight. And I believe Bernie’s influence on the party platform was a victory and hope that his supporters agree and do what they can to help see it implemented.
          Of course you can disagree with me. If you truly believe that Hillary Clinton is worse than Donald Trump, you have every right to believe so, even if I will never be able to understand it. But if you think that Hillary might be even a tiny bit less awful or dangerous than Trump, or that her choice of Supreme Court Justices might be more inclined to make decisions you agree with, then I hope you will vote for her. Because even a tiny bit less awful can make a big difference in some people’s lives.

I also remember the 2000 election and people thinking there’s no real difference between Bush and Gore. I truly hope no one will have to look back on this election and regret their vote.

• Norma Jean says:

What a crock of crap that was! sHillary is no where close to Bernie’s progressive platform……she is PRO fracking…she is PRO TPP (even tho she’s lying now to try to win votes)….she is PRO corporation and PRO dirty energy….PRO big banks……..and obviously she has no problem with suppressing votes, cheating and lying to suit her cause!
        Yes, I loved Bernie, and his message….but there are others on the ticket that ARE progressive!

• Lala says:

Oh boohoo Bernie Supporters…yes you are pissed off, so what! Stop with the tantrums and pick a side. These celebs are telling the truth, Sarah Silverman was/is a Bernie supporter but she’s looking at the bigger picture and so is Bernie himself. Seth said it perfectly, Bernie probably hates Hillary but the alternative is worse. If you want to waste your votes by voting independent / not voting that’s your right. Either Clinton or Trump is going to come out on top…whoever wins is going to bring about change that may/will last for years/generations to come. Bernie realizes that and he’s picked a side…why don’t you just grow up and do the same!!

• Brigid says:

A person who votes their conscience is NOT wasting THEIR vote. You are a disgrace to bully people into picking between 2 pieces of crap because that’s how YOU want it. Whoever I vote for is my business and is the right thing to do. I’m not a Bernie supporter because I don’t believe in socialism, I’m already tired of working my butt off so lazy people can collect welfare. Trump and Clinton make me sick to my stomach and we are all in the dog house if any of these idiots win so no, I won’t pick between 2 party candidates when there are 2 others who can do the job better. Wasting my vote, how dare you!

• Mary says:

Sorry but it is a waste because there is no chance in H..l they would win.Right, wrong or indifferent that is the facts. I really truly don’t believe many understands how the Government works. If people want change they need to stop re-electing Congress in. It is obvious they won’t past a law for term so it is up to citizens to keep putting new people in there. I have read a little about Johnson and I would not agree on him being a better option.

• Lala says:

Sorry to burst your idealistic bubble but yes you will be wasting your vote choosing to go behind a candidate who has absolutely no chance of effecting change. No we are not in the dog house if Clinton wins, she may have her faults but her election will not undo all the progress that the country has seen in the past 10 years…But a Trump win will. If issues like across the board equality (I’m talking about race, gender, LGBT) do no worry you then go ahead and throw your vote in the ocean, you may feel like it is the right thing to do but will generations to come thank you for doing the ‘right thing’ when a Trump presidency takes over. This is not the time for your high and mighty tantrums…we don’t have time for this.

• Em Cooper says:

Wow, and we all are suppose to vote one way because Lala says so? Uh, no, people will choose to vote for who they think is the best candidate–NOT because some anonymous voice on the internet has deemed herself “Know It All of Who Votes How”. In other words sweetie, zip it, and go pound sand–you have no right to tell ANYONE how or who they should vote for…SMDH

• Norma Jean says:

LMAO…if all of us Independent progressives vote for Jill….that would be over 40%…I kno some will pick Gary….I’ll take my vote and throw it in the PROGRESS pile……I refuse to vote for the lesser of 2 evils….so let’s let everyone vote for the Greater Good! #StopTheBullying

• Dude says:

Kay, have fun voting for an even bigger criminal scumbag. I find it funny that a campaign built on hope and a better tomorrow seems to have resulted in the most juvenile tantrum in political history. Bernie or Bust supporters are basically a bunch of 5 year-olds stomping their feet and crying “But I waaaaannted it!” You can’t bully the system into siding with you. Sorry.

• The Kaibosh says:

Go ahead split the vote. Help put a fascist in the White House. On November 9th you might be standing on the Titanic but hey no big deal. You stuck to your principles.

• Blondage says:

Well said Dan! The things I admire most about the #Bernieorbust movement are the passion and true commitment. Votes seem to be so easily “bought” with a bunch of smokescreens and pretty celebrities. Kudos to you and Bernie’s true supporters for seeing through the bull ****! I’m actually a libertarian, so Johnson has my vote, but if Bernie was on the ballot…

• Mary says:

There is a difference with being bought and being realistic. Some of us look at the big picture and voting for someone who you know has no shot is not being realistic.

• Timmah says:

Well said.

4. simplediscourse says:

Just lost all respect for him. We’re not to blame for why her campaign will fail. Her supporters are for being pushovers who would rather accept a lying criminal for a candidate than stand up and say she isn’t good enough.

• The Kaibosh says:

If Trump wins in November then yes, you will be to blame.

• Brigid says:

And if Hillary wins in November, then yes, you are to be blamed.

• The Kaibosh says:

I’m prepared to live with that stain if it means keeping a fascist out of the White House. Are you willing to live with the chaos that will happen if he wins?

• Blondage says:

If Trump wins, he will want a second term. I don’t think he would unleash the true crazy until a second term. Hopefully I’m not wrong. I’m not voting for the man, but I’d rather see him, warts and all, win over a rape enabling Criminal. I want the first woman president to be above reproach.

• Simon Jester says:

So Trump will be fine for “only one term”? I’m sorry, but are you an idiot? If he makes that next Supreme Court appointment, the consequences will be felt for a GENERATION, not four years.

• Andrea says:

Years down the line, are you also prepared to live with the Republicans potentially rigging a primary? If that happens, even with stacks of proof, you will have no room to talk. Don’t be screaming about how things should be be fair or about how the Republicans are crooked because in 2016, that’s what the Dems did with no consequences whatsoever (DWS resigning at this point means nothing.) I don’t like Trump, but I have greater respect for the RNC and their willingness to have a large field of candidates. They had principle enough to let the process run its course. The Dems did not, and the “historical” nature of the convention could have been used to at least acknowledge the situation instead of inviting Bernie to participate in the process that tried to diminish his voice and (potentially) silence other voices. The devil that you see (Trump) is scary, but so is ignoring the devil you didn’t see but now know is there.

• The Kaibosh says:

Andrea the Republicans already stole an election in 2000. The result was an illegal war that directly caused oil prices to go higher than they’ve ever been in history, directly impacting the price of everything else and the world and the further destabilization of the Middle East which in turn directly caused the rise of Daesh. And all of this came as result of a war mongering President that didn’t have a clue. Trump makes Bush look like a pansy. He is a fascist in the truest sense of the word and the whole world is at stake. Not just some principle over the nomination process! Get it through your head.

• Mary says:

Andrea, that argument really doesn’t work because they never went after Bernie. He shouldn’t have been allowed to run on the Democrat ticket in the first place. The truth is, bottom line, Hillary received the majority of the votes even without the super delegates.
            He never was going to win the nomination. He gave it a good shot.

5. Big Cheddar says:

While booing is extremely rude, I say let them grieve the loss of their candidate. Hopefully the Clinton campaign will do enough to convince them to vote for her and Kaine in November.

• Blondage says:

The booing was a bit rude, but I actually loved it. I’m proud of my fellow Americans for not backing down and for letting their voices be heard. I think our founding fathers would be proud. My libertarian constitutionalist self was thrilled.

• Mary says:

No are founding fathers are probably rolling over in their graves wondering how the art of compromise and respect for others opinions got so screwed up. Booing shows ones mentality and not in a good way. There is constructive ways to get your point across and booing like a two year old is not the way.

6. tjchurch2001 says:

“…those who are still anti-Clinton are the reason why Sanders will have to campaign for the Democratic presidential nominee through Election Day.”

Did the writer (for Seth or the Website) not realize the stupidity of this idea/statement?! I am surrounded by people who can’t stop talking about a certain athlete, especially now that the team he was on once before won a Championship (albeit in what has always been a team sport).

Bernie was (same as Hillary, Trump, Jeb, & many other past candidates) running, making speeches, doing interviews, & the like so he could get & perform the job. He got a ton of people (myself included) to back him, & now some apparently think him campaigning in support of his recent-past opponent will make his supporters decide she would be equally-good?

He might as well have spoken days ago in support of Trump.

7. Joe says:

Seth is getting too preachy. We get it, you love the Clintons. No need to keep repeating.

8. Eurydice says:

Well Seth, you get to say what you want because it’s a (relatively) free country, so why not extend that free voice to others? Or maybe you want to hide behind the usual excuse of “I’m just a comedian and entertainer; it’s not about politics.”

9. I’m sorry, I thought this was America where you can support whoever you please.

• Dude says:

You can. And in America we can also call you out for acting like a spoiled brat. That’s how it works. People like you always seem to forget that freedom of speech works both ways.

• Lucifer says:

The topic isn’t freedom of speech, the topic is being able to make your own decisions of what your support. Hillary zombies screeching that all Bernie supporters must now support her is not only ridiculous, it’s disgustingly entitled. And it’s pretty silly to call them “spoiled brats” when the reason Bernie supporters are so pissed is because the email leak proved the DNC always had Hillary’s back when they were supposed to remain objective.

10. rebecca says:

Bernie or Bust folks are the worst and probably believe kids deserve participation trophies.

• Blondage says:

I hate those participation trophies!!! Grrrr!!

• Simon Jester says:

Certainly, they embody the consequences of participation trophies: Never having learned how to lose graciously.

• dan says:

Bite My Shiny Metal Ass – Bender Bending Rodríguez

I’m 40 next month and I’ve had full time employment since I was 16 3/4 and have never been on welfare or had anything handed to me. Bernie supporters are people who understand Bernie’s vision was the best vision for the future of the country, the world and the species. Bernie’s vision WILL come to pass or the world WILL look like Mad Max’s Thunderdome because soon, very soon our technological and scientific advances will render labor obsolete. Then we either advance and work together or the world burns when the system collapses. They are already looking at replacing fast food joint staff with robots. Trump sure as hell isn’t going to lead us there nor will Clinton who practices the worst type of Capitalism with far more savagery than Trump has ever exhibited. I do not want Clinton in the White House when all the millions of dollars worth of markers she owes the house of Saud comes due. No rational person should ever trust her to park their cars much less lead the the worlds largest military. Bernie was the only one of the three who was right about staying out of Iraq. As a tax payer I also don’t want to have to replace all the silverware in the White House when they move out again either.

11. Mr. Smith says:

As a previous Sanders supporter, Myer’s comments offend me. To know that the DNC and Clinton willingly attempted to sabotage the primaries to get Hillary nominated infuriates me!

And people wonder why no one trusts politicians (Hillary)…

• The Kaibosh says:

Look you’re not wrong. I get it: it is cruddy, and not just cruddy but really cruddy. And I’m sanitizing my words for this forum: but if this infuriates you, then the kind of damage a fascist in the White House could do should drive you to insanity. This fight is over. Get over it! Splash some cold water on your face and get to work doing something productive.

• David4 says:

What you don’t seem to get is that Bernie supporters will vote for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson over a cheater.

Uncleared party people (The media calls them independent but that’s actually wrong.) didn’t get a chance to vote in the primaries will probably back a fascist over a corrupt Clinton in a second.

The DNC just destroyed the country after setting up an ‘election’ for Clinton, yet will blame Bernie supporters when trump wins. It’s their own damn fault and we aren’t going to listen to it.

• The Kaibosh says:

This the USA we’re talking about. A country where 42% of people don’t believe in evolution. A country where less than half of the population believe that climate change is real. There is NO WAY a self professed “socialist” would have stood a snow ball’s chance in winning the general election. The DNC did the only reasonable thing by choosing Hillary. Voting for an independent is throwing away your vote. And knowing this, if you or anyone else still believes that voting for a fascist is a better option then when Roe v Wade is struck down it will be your fault. When goon squads start popping up to forcefully deport people it will be your fault. You would have had the chance to do something about it and you chose not to. This will be on you and everyone else who just can’t see it. Plug your nose, suck it up and do the right thing.

• Mr. Smith says:

While that might be the case, Kaibosh, the will of the people is not being met. This country was founded on the simple fact that the majority wins. There should be NO tampering… at all! As to Sanders having a chance to beat Trump, he would have handily done so because Sanders is more trustworthy than Trump. Now, we have two choices (Trump or Clinton) where both are just as dishonest as expecting a dog to not touch a raw porterhouse sitting directly in front of him. This Sanders supporter would rather have Trump in the White House than the manipulative, power hungry, deceptive, lying, sleaze that is Hillary Clinton. .
            At least we know where Trump is coming from. And at least Trump pretends to care about ALL Americans and their will.

• The Kaibosh says:

Mr. Smith…. The Germans made a choice in 1933. And they clapped and waved and cheered. It was the will of the people and they all felt so patriotic and so positive….how did those same people feel in 1945 when the dust settled?

• Andrea says:

Hitler was chosen by the German people, that is true. However, we have the benefit of history to show us what Hitler did, and there are plenty of Republicans who we know already don’t support Trump. Kasich stayed away from the convention. Paul Ryan has said he doesn’t stand with Trump on every policy. Pence doesn’t agree with Trump on every single thing either. 1930s Germany had no checks and balances (or anything like social media.) Trump can’t govern in a vacuum. Otherwise, every policy that President Obama ever supported would be law. I agree with Mr. Smith, and I’m heartened that Trump has detractors and has had them for awhile. No one is willing to question Hillary in the Democratic Party, and I find that worrisome. Everyone’s “with her.” Plenty of Republicans have already questioned Trump.

• The Kaibosh says:

Andrea, Republicans don’t understand history. And you are grossly underestimating the power of Executive Authority. He can do a lot of damage and has already done so just by running. Up to the last moment the Republicans refused to admit that Melania Trump’s speech was plagiarized. They dug in and refused to give a single inch until the last moment when the speech writer admitted to the mistake. Even then they shrugged it off. If they’re prepared to dig in on something so trivial, so ultimately meaningless: what do you think they will be able to do about things that actually matter. This isn’t fear mongering. Read a history book. It could and is happening here and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE must put aside, pride, principle and everything to stop a fascist from taking control of the larges military in the history of the world.

• Mary says:

Mr. Smith you are under the illusion that Bernie would beat Trump. He didn’t even win the nomination and it wasn’t because of the DNC.
            If you really think citizens were going to vote a Socialist in as President, especially after the last 8 years and the attacks Obama received, then you are delusional.

• dan says:

The Kaibosh says:
            July 27, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Funny you should bring up Nazi’s when talking about Decision 2016, Kaibosh. Because the election rigging we saw here is nothing new. Hitler did it 1933 too.

• TJ. Church says:

There was no rigging here… People forget that Trump’s predecessor was a pitiful choice as well.

As for Bernie, his age simply caught up to him: He got tired, & knew he had heard a lot about “President Clinton”, & getting confused, didn’t realize it wasn’t referring to Hillary after this win.

• Blondage says:

David4, I agree with you 100%.

• Mary says:

Operative word willing to but did not. The truth is of course they were going to be behind her because she was a true democrat and Bernie wasn’t. They shouldn’t have let him on the ticket period, he should of been independent but Bernie knew he didn’t have a shot. I understand being upset but the truth is She receive the majority of votes.
      The Bernie followers have to decide if they were behind the man himself or the movement.

12. niloofar says:

👎

13. David4 says:

Bullying people to get them to vote for someone who is a corrupt liar… yeah that’s not going to work. I’m voting third party. Never Trump and Never Hillary. When Trump becomes president blame the DNC for setting the ‘election’ up!

I love the irony of of the comedians still talking about how Tom Brady cheated during inflatigate which is stupid and means nothing, but no one seems to care when someone cheats to steal an ‘election’

• Brigid says:

Exactly!^^

• Timmah says:

I’m voting third party as well. I can’t bring myself to vote for the clown or the most corrupt politician on the planet. If there was ever a time to make a statement about the two-party system and the mediocre candidates it produces, this is it.

14. Blondage says:

Tho I disagree with Seth’s politics, I thought this video was pretty funny. After reading all the comments here I realize I may be in the minority.

I think a lot of you fellow commenters were probably not of voting age for the 1996 election. A quick history lesson — Clinton won over incumbent Bush Sr because Ross Perot ran as a third party candidate. If memory serves, more people voted AGAINST Clinton than for him, but he won because the votes against him were split. We are likely to see this again when the Bernie voters either stay home and don’t vote, or vote third party.

I’m not saying to vote against your conscience. You have the right to vote for whomever you feel is the best candidate running. I’m sticking with the libertarian, but I am not the type to force my views on others. Vote for whomever you want. But regarding this video…? Seth was hilariously snarky, but that doesn’t make him wrong. If you don’t vote Clinton, Trump will win. I have friends on the other side of the aisle saying the same thing to right wingers who hate Trump. Who the heck knows how this mess will turn out.

Peace.

15. Timmah says:

Meyers is a no-talent sellout so this kind of fealty doesn’t surprise me. I miss the days when comics used to have balls.

16. texmike says:

Myers is the biggest liberal hack on television.

17. BillyBobJohnson says:

Wow, a lot of people commenting on here are just plain dumb. If you cannot envision what a Trump presidency will do to the country, then there’s no sense in talking to you. Go vote your conscience, but don’t complain when the country is turned 180 degrees away from what Sanders fought for in his campaign. Hope you enjoy living in a fascist state.

18. molsongold says:

Awesome, Seth Meyers representing the Party Above Reproach, telling me how to act and how to think…Sarah Silverman, that staunch liberal would never do that… oh wait…

19. Liz says: