Comic-Con
Supernatural Season 12

Supernatural @ Comic-Con: Sam and Dean's New Vulnerability, Lucifer vs. Cas and 'Old-Fashioned Horror Stories'

It was a family affair at Supernatural‘s San Diego Comic-Con panel on Sunday, with Mary Winchester’s return the hot topic during the session.

COMIC-CON 2016 Exclusive Videos, Casting News, Scoop and More

Mom’s comeback “presents a dynamic that we haven’t had in quite a while — or ever,” Jensen Ackles previewed. “When mom left, Sam was a baby and Dean was a child. The children that she knew are now men, so the relationship is kind of nonexistent because there isn’t one. It’s an interesting situation, them trying to bridge that massive gap.”

Since Mary wasn’t around for most of the boys’ lives, “She’s been mythologized to them,” executive producer Andrew Dabb said. “[But] she has a lot in common with them [as hunters]. She’ll be coming back into that.” (It might not necessarily be a happy return to hunting, though. A teaser trailer for Season 12 featured Mary telling Dean, “I never wanted this for you and Sam.”)

Although having a mother “is something they deeply want,” the brothers “more than anybody else understand that family can be a vulnerability” and lead to an attack, the EP continued.

“We find out more about what family means and how you become family,” Jared Padalecki shared. “Sam and Dean with their mother are starting anew. Does blood make you family, or is it more than just DNA?”

Castiel, knowing how important Mary is in Dean and Sam’s origin story, also has a “very specific response to her” and “a very cool” bond with her of his own, Dabb previewed. Added his portrayer Misha Collins: “There’s an interesting little dynamic between the two of us because in a way, we’re outsiders.”

For actress Samantha Smith, returning as Mary has been a treat. “There’s a lot to consider — being dead, now alive with a big gap in the middle,” she shared. “My sons are now older and taller than I am…. I’ve always loved Mary and to be able to experience her from a whole different perspective is incredibly fun for me.”

Other highlights from the panel:

* Season 12’s family theme will also be explored via Crowley and Rowena. “There’s a hint that my family dynamic may be returning in a slightly more expanded scale, so I’m looking forward to seeing how that turns out — because it never turns out well,” actor Mark Sheppard said. Ruth Connell, who plays Crowley’s mom, predicted their relationship will go “downhill fast.” As for what the power-hungry witch is after next season, Dabb shared, “She’s gone in a different direction… She’s taking a step back [and asking herself], ‘Is this something I really want to do?'” But of course, “she gets drawn back into” in the mayhem. Meanwhile, Crowley wants “revenge” against Lucifer (hey there, Rick Springfield!) for humiliating him. (The scene with Crowley licking the floor was improvised!)

* On the topic of how you follow up a season featuring God and The Darkness, EP Robert Singer said, “We can’t top all that, so we’re going to try to get back to basics a little bit, tell smaller stories. Some good old-fashioned horror stories.”

* “We find out more about the Men of Letters and their worldwide society,” Padalecki previewed. “We’ll learn more about what [the British chapter] wants for themselves and from Sam and Dean.” But as seen in the Season 11 cliffhanger, in which Lady Toni shot Sam, “They’re not off to a great start.”

* “Cas is back to a little bit Cas from Season 4,” Collins revealed. “He’s got much of his mojo, not all of it. I think his wings are still broken. He’s angry. He’s in a fighting spirit. He’s after Lucifer.”

* Sheriff Jody, Donna, Claire, Alex and Crowley’s son Gavin will all be back.

* When asked about the birthday photo he sent to Padalecki, of their kids as the next generation of hunters, Ackles said his daughter called Padalecki’s sons not her friends, but “my boys,” so “we might not have a choice in the matter” regarding their offspring continuing “in the family business.”

Supernatural Season 12 premieres Thursday, Oct. 13 at 9/8c on The CW.

1. Linda says:

Ugh, Claire again? – No matter how well Rick Springfield does as Lucifer, IMO, there will only be one Lucifer in the Supernatural world…Mark Pellegrino (Jared did very well as well but…Mark is LUCIFER)! – “We can’t top all that, so we’re going to try to get back to basics a little bit, tell smaller stories. Some good old-fashioned horror stories.” – Yeah, I’ll believe that when/IF I see it.

• LW says:

I have the same reaction to Claire. UGH! And I also feel the same way about Mark P.

• Deniece says:

I agree 100 and 10% on there only be one Lucifer in the Supernatural world and Mark is it. As an individual who grew up looking at Rick Springfield, I feel his time as come and gone…….either have Mark come back or go in a different direction……how about a young Lucifer like what they did with John and Mary……..but please, no Rick Springfield

• Bob says:

How would a “young Lucifer” even make sense? He’s not human. And Rick Springfield is happening so uh, too late to say “no.” Maybe give him a chance before writing him off?

• AnnieM says:

Well, Rick Springfield’s time as a ‘teen idol’ has come and gone, but he’s never stopped being an actively recording and touring musician; a lack of widespread commercial success doesn’t make his music any less relevant. I realize this has little to do with his appearing on SPN, but as someone who has enjoyed his music for the past 35+ years or so, i felt the need to speak up. Anyway, isn’t Mark Pelligrino a regular on ‘Quantico’, anyway? Maybe he’s not available. As far as a ‘different direction’ that you mentioned, maybe Lucifer is jumping vessels to sort of hide in plain sight. I can see him promising RS’s faded rock star character worldwide superstardom in exchange for vessel permission.

• Stacey says:

I agree 100% with you. You can’t top Mark Pellegrino, he’s plays the role of Lucifer perfectly. I hope they go back to basics via S1/S2, I enjoyed the MOTW stories as well as the lore, will just have to wait and see.

2. Rob Horine says:

Hopefully the next Jody, Alex and Claire episode sets up for Wayward Daughters.

3. wgsecretary says:

Please tell me we get an interview with the cast :)

4. ninamags says:

Ugh, Clair and Alex again? Why??

It will be cool to see what Gavin has been up to. Hopefully it’s the same actor.

Rick Springfield sounds awesome. Though, Mark P is always the best version of Lucifer.

Saw the boys signing autos at the convention thru the WB feed. They are absolutely adorable!! Loved how Mark Sheppard was telling the girls in line freaking out to take deep breaths.

5. mia says:

urgh more Rowena? I was so happy when she died…

• Mystic Tania says:

@mia LOL. Girl puh-lease get real. Anyhow love Rowena, she’s better than the phoenix rising from the ashes. Maybe some time as a hamster would silence your yammering “mia”??

6. Christian says:

It’ time for this show to end. Other shows are bowing out gracefully and this show (and Greys for that matter) insists on polluting the airwaves.

7. Dawn Paolella says:

Supernatural, GO BOYS GO!!! LOVE THEM CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!

8. clothing698 says:

Supernatural Series has been one of my favorite. All the characters have lived up to the expectations of the viewers. Great to see Supernatural in the San Diego comic con. There have been a few amazing outfits introduced in the series which are perfect for Halloween and cosplay. I have found a few DIY costume ideas for Halloween 2016. However, the most liked by me is on the Celebsclothing blog.

9. Ella says:

I’m bored of Crowley and mom. I am VERY excited about Mary’s dynamic with all 3 boys. “Castiel? Are you my son’s boyfriend?”

10. Missy says:

Sounds amazing! So excited! :)

11. AnnieM says:

Well…I have no particular thoughts on the ‘Mom’ storyline, other than I’m sure I’ll find it interesting. Glad to hear we’ll see Gavin again – I hope they have the same actor to play him again. I’m curious as to how he’s assimilated himself into the modern world since we last saw him; also wonder if he’ll have anything to do with Rick Springfield’s pre-Lucifer character, as that would eventually tie them both back to Crowley. I could see Rowena & Crowley (and maybe even Cas, as well) reluctantly joining forces to go after Lucifer – potential for comedy gold right there. :-D Nobody discussing the London M of L branch yet here…what’s the rumor, that they are led by Merlin? I could’ve sworn I read that somewhere.

12. Mary O'Keeffe says:

Not sure I can make it to October 13th for Supernatural..need a fix before then. Congrats to
    Jensen & Danneel (twins-good luck). Just make sure JJ knows she’s still Daddy’s little girl.
    It’s important (take it from one who knows!!

Mary O’Keeffe