Comic-Con
rick springfield supernatural season 12 lucifer

Supernatural: Rick Springfield to Play Lucifer's Rock Star Vessel in Season 12

The devil you say! Rick Springfield has been tapped to raise hell in multiple episodes of Supernatural’s Season 12, as Lucifer’s latest vessel.

After taking possession of Castiel’s body in Season 11, the fallen angel is “going to try out a few different vessels” next season, executive producer Robert Singer said during the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel Sunday. “You need a really strong vessel like Sam, like Castiel… “

Like the erstwhile Dr. Noah Drake. “The first vessel that [Lucifer] feels comfortable with,” Singer went on, “is a rock star who’s a little bit on the down side who’s trying to come back.”

As an added bonus, if the vessel isn’t a snug fit, maybe Lucifer can sing “I’ve Done Everything for You” to his host — in his host’s hit-making voice.

Supernatural’s Season 12 premieres Thursday, Oct. 13, at 9/8c, leading out of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.

What do you think of Springfield’s casting? Will you be tuning in expecting a hell of a good time? Hit the comments.

1. kirads09 says:

I do like Rick. However it seems fans are already upset re Pelligrino. Not sure this is the right move.

• Penny says:

As Singer said, Lucifer will have a few “vessels” during the season.. its possible that Mark Pellegrino may be back in the meat suit later on. As an “old” Supernatural fan, and one from that era, I’m OK with Rick Springfield letting Lucifer in for a while, especially if that means some classic rock played onscreen. Could be fun!

2. Karen McDonald says:

Absolutely looking forward to seeing Rick Springfield in this role! He is an amazing multidimensional talent with an extremely loyal fan base.

3. Joey says:

I had a Psychology teacher in high school who will definitely be tuning in. Knowing her, she’ll probably toss her underwear at the screen.

4. Emma Sproule says:

Mark should have been back as Lucifer he was the best

• Penny says:

Perhaps Mark wasn’t available. It’s not like he’s just sitting around at home waiting for the call. Mark Pellegrino is one of the busiest actors around, not to mention an activist. Maybe before all the haters start hating the showrunners, they should get the facts.

• Linda says:

Yeah because the op really is ‘hating’ on the showrunners here. Overreacting much? I didn’t realize not liking something is HATING now. Geesh.

5. Sue says:

Great idea. He and dean can do a duet. I would love to see Kevin and Charlie as well.

6. ninamags says:

Wow! This sounds great!!!

So that means he will continue to make trouble for Sam and Dean.

Cool. At some point Mark P. should reprise the role. He did make it awesome, after all.

7. Melissa Sudbery says:

Based on the storyline presented, I think Rick Springfield IS a good fit. I mean, it would be super cool to get Steven Tyler or Mick J., but I’m sure they’re too big to snag for something like television. 👍

8. Bonnie says:

Wouldn’t it be cook of Rick Springfield played Lucifer playing Rick Springfield.

9. Conni says:

With Rick and his facial scruff, he’ll fit right into character. He can do anything when it comes to acting. I just wish he would consider doing something that didn’t involve music (again). I miss that. Won’t stop me from tuning in though…xoxo

10. G Foley says:

no no no. I am not alright with rick springfield being lucifer. there is only one Lucifer in my mind. I love misha, but he was not mark Pellegrino and definitely springfield is not either. not happy

11. fatalsin says:

WHAT?!? No Mark?!? C’mon Im all for Jesses girl and all but he will never have the sarcastic wit of Mark!

12. Melissa. Waymire says:

OMG that is insane. Change can be good. I’m looking forward to seeing what he’s got. Love his music. Crowley plays drums maybe they can start a band. Lol

13. dean says:

I hope Sam kills him. I’m so sick of this character.

14. Vicki Bradsberry says:

Rick Springfield huh? This should be interesting! But what happened to Mark Pellegrino????

15. Jane says:

As long as he ends up back in Mark Pellegrino I’m ok with him trying out a few new meat suits.

16. AnnieM says:

As much as I enjoy Mark Pelligrino as Lucifer, I’m also a woman who’s been a Rick Springfield fan for many years…so, I’m looking forward to this. :-) I have just ONE request – please let him sing something *other* than ‘Jessie’s Girl’? The man has released 20-some albums over the last 40(!) years; his music is so much MORE than just that one song!

(stepping down off the soapbox now…)

17. Larry finch says:

Loove supernatural!..and rick Springfield! What a great combination!! Lets hear him play !!!

18. I am loving this casting ,but keep the music out of it.Let Rick have this role on the merits of his acting alone.Maybe if it goes another season ,then add it in.

19. Marie Catalano says:

Although I loved Marc Pellegrino as the perfect Lucifer, I’ve been a Rick Springfield fan since his days on General Hospital. I’m really looking forward to seeing him fill Marc’s shoes. I liked the way he looked in the promos. I think they made a good decision, but tonight will tell.

20. Rebecca Cain says:

At first glance I thought Rick Springfield was Alice Cooper sans makeup. Did they deliberately makethe skin on his face look rough, like Mick Jagger’s?

21. mike says:

He’ll yeah. Rick is awesome!

22. Kelly says:

I’ve been a fan of Supernatural since the show started. I liked Mark Pellegrino as Lucifer but so far, I also like Rick Springfield’s take on Lucifer. Springfield’s Lucifer is much darker, and with very subtle humour — very subtle but it’s there. I like the idea of using a real rock star to play a real rock star and I do hope there is an episode where he sings even just part of one of his classics. I am really looking forward to more RS as Lucifer and many more seasons of Supernatural.