Preacher Recap Episode 8

Preacher Recap: Relationship-Shape

Heading into what promises to be an action-packed finale next week, Preacher’s penultimate episode was all about its couples, from Jesse and Tulip to DeBlanc and Fiore. Which ones took turns for the better, and which took turns for the much worse? (R.I.P., name withheld!) Read on and find out.

NEXT STOP: HELL | After a past-tense opening that found The Cowboy laying waste to everyone in Ratwater’s saloon, “Finish the Song” jumped to the present day, where Jesse cut short Sheriff Root’s story about how little a child killer like him was going to enjoy prison by escaping from custody. Meanwhile, Fiore and DeBlanc decided — via a coin toss — that, rather than go to hell to resolve their situation, they’d bite the bullet and call heaven. Unfortunately, when they weren’t looking — dagnabbit! — Jesse had stolen their hotline to invite God to All Saints’ that Sunday. Left with no choice but to head south, the angels booked passage through what at first appeared to be a run-of-the-mill travel agency. (Was it just me, or did you get an extra couple-y vibe from the duo this week? Between Fiore’s anxiety about the possibility of heaven separating them forever and the sweet way that DeBlanc called him “my dear” when he wasn’t allowed to take his comics to hell, they sure seemed like more than colleagues.)

Preacher 109 recapMANWICH | Before leaving Uncle Walter’s and heading for Albuquerque to exact her revenge on Carlos, Tulip stunned Emily by revealing that Cassidy is a vampire. Oh, and BTW, while Jesse’s ex was gone, Emily was in charge of feeding the blood-sucker hamsters and such. Just “don’t go to Pet Express,” Tulip advised, “’cause they’re on to me.” When Emily said that Jesse was in hot water, Tulip insisted that she didn’t care, the single mom could have him. In turn, Emily swore she didn’t want him, as she already had a boyfriend — Miles. “He’s cool,” she added. (Ha.) Later, after watching the Psycho scene in which Norman discusses “private traps” with Marion, Emily lured Miles to Walter’s and fed him to Cassidy. (Da-amn! Somebody must have read my comment at the end of last week’s recap.) While all this was going on, Root was called to the Sundowner, where he found the seraphim disarticulated in the tub. “Kill me,” she pleaded. And, when the sheriff took pity on her and strangled her, she, of course, regenerated intact.

BYGONES | By the time Jesse came by Walter’s looking for Tulip, Cassidy was finally beginning to heal. Not that he wanted to see his former bestie. “Go, Preacher,” the vampire said. “It’s not safe for you here.” Inauspicious as that sounded, it wasn’t long before the duo had buried the hatchet (along with Miles). Cassidy wasn’t even pissed that Jesse had let him catch fire. “You put me out,” the Irishman noted. “That’s what matters.” Apparently, somewhere along the line, Jesse had had an epiphany about Tulip, too. So he called to tell her that for him, “it’s just you till the end of the world” — just as she was about to take a meat tenderizer to Carlos. Next, the buddies dug up DeBlanc and Fiore’s “clones” in order to obtain the angel hands Jesse needed to operate the hotline to heaven. Speaking of the angels, as the hour drew to a close, they arrived in hell… which turned out to be Ratwater, where The Cowboy was doomed to relive his nightmarish existence for all eternity. Or was he? “You wanna be free of all this?” DeBlanc asked. “We have a job for you.” Killing a preacher, Fiore explained after his partner was shot. (Man, they get shot a lot.)

What did you think of “Finish the Song”? Were you more shocked that Emily murdered Miles or that Jesse finally admitted that Tulip was The One? Hit the comments.

1. Carol C says:

Well, Emily loves animals more than she cared for Miles, that’s for sure. Shocking behaviour for our sweet Emily.

2. Hilary says:

I was definitely surprised at Emily’s actions, but the guy did seem to repulse her. Also I know I shouldn’t really “ship” on a show like this, but I want Jesse with Emily and Tulip with Cassidy nonetheless! Can’t wait for next week!

3. AngelWasHere says:

Glad Cassidy is back. The bromance must live! I must say the cowboy stuff did confuse me at first, but I get it now thanks to the angels and HELL popping up on the screen. :P Does that mean Eugene is reliving his suicide attempt and his crush’s death over and over again in hell? Anyway, I’m looking forward the finale. It’s a weird show, but I can’t stop watching it.

• Pat says:

I am so glad to read that someone else thinks this show is weird and that cannot stop watching it. I said this to my husband after watching the first episode and at first I was not going to watch it after that but it is so crazy, that I am drawn to it. Is the show good, I cannot answer that but all I can say is that it is weird, crazy, insane and I watch it.

4. Michael Bailey says:

Am I the only one who thinks that Fiore is not really an angel, but from He’ll? Notice how he hasn’t used the phone himself? And his comments to his partner about knowing what he’ll was like. I also think they are the angel/demon couple who created Genesis in the first place.

• dancmh says:

I never thought of that. I like it.

• tauntonlake says:

I think you’re right. Why else would they be singing a lullaby to it (Winken Blinken and Nod), if these two weren’t its parents .? :D I think if we go back and re-watch with that premise in mind, we’d pick up even more clues…

• Haseogreen says:

They did say that they were its nanny’s “aka: the ones who were suppose to be looking after it”. Also they did express that they hated the Angel and Demon who created it. So either they were just trying to get it back because they screwed up watching it or they are the ones who created it.

• Preacher Book says:

Angels exist in both Heaven and Hell. Just the angels in Hell are now considered Demons. However, last night’s episode confirmed my suspicions of them being the parents of Genesis.

• Tom says:

Not in the comics – but the TV show has veered far away already, so could be. Original Genesis was Seraphim make Angel & female demon. But, who knows. It’s good they’ve put a significant chunk of new storyline in the TV – makes it easier to enjoy the show for comic fans, rather than just tick off expected set pieces.

5. Marc says:

Well, that’s one way of breaking up with someone, feeding them to a blood thirsty injured vampire.

6. tauntonlake says:

I foresee Miles becoming a vampire. He may not have been entirely dead when they threw him in the grave, and they threw the leftover carcasses in on top of him, which he might be able to feed on when he “wakes up”. I think he’ll come back next season, a changed, meaner person, who will take charge of Emily, or punish her for feeding him to Cassidy. And not taking any more crap off of Quincannon..

7. Mac Daddy says:

I had gotten use to violence and agony with a sense of humor. ie Preacher shot my dick off he is a pretty good shot then when leaving in bambalance ‘hey Cliff don’t forget your dick’ being tossed to him.
    #9 was just shameful, all about gore. No humor.
    Maybe #10 will recapture the spirit of ‘violent humor’ and ‘fun filled suffering’! AMEN!!!

8. tauntonlake says:

9. Reta Gardner says:

I was really surprised that Emily killed Miles.

10. Cyn Nova says:

I was more surprised that Jesse admitted Tulip was the one. Didn’t think he’d do that, even if he felt that way. Emily didn’t surprise me with Miles as I figured she’d do that as soon as the Psycho show was viewed by her. LOVE Preacher!