Comic-Con
The Vampire Diaries Spoilers

The Vampire Diaries @ Comic-Con: 'Evil Herself' Is Coming to Mystic Falls, Plus More Final Season Scoop

On their way to stop Damon and Enzo’s west-coast killing spree, the Vampire Diaries gang on Sunday took a brief detour, hitting up San Diego Comic-Con for the CW drama’s (final!) panel.

Stars Ian Somerhalder, Paul Wesley, Kat Graham, Candice King, Zach Roerig, Matt Davis and Michael Malarkey were all on hand — along with executive producers Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson — to tease the impending events of Season 8, premiering Friday, Oct. 21 at 8/7c:

* An intro video, featuring that creepy hand from the Season 7 finale, teased: “This season, get ready to meet evil herself.” (That’s right, herself.) Watch it below:

* Kevin Williamson on returning to the writer’s room: “I’ve never been too far away. … As Julie and I sat down to write the first episode of Season 8 together, I was freaking out. … Julie was like, ‘You write all the Damon stuff.’ It came back pretty quickly, and I think we’ve got a great Season 8 planned out. It’s really nice to live in this world again.”

* As for what the aforementioned “evil” might be, Plec remained (mostly) tight-lipped: “The villain has a finger so far. … It’s a new take on villains for us. It’s rooted back all the way to ancient times.”

* Describing the new Season 8 villain as the “final bad,” Williamson noted that it’s a “cool way to infuse Mystic Falls with this ultimate evil. It’s like a cherry on top of the entire mythology of Mystic Falls.”

* Meanwhile, Somerhalder said, we’ll see “Damon and Enzo doing some gnarly s–t,” adding that “the mind control thing is actually quite interesting. … In their minds, they’re still them. That conflict and that struggle is what we always look for.”

* Sadly, Bonnie is “literally at ground zero” when Season 8 begins. “A lot of last season was about the development of the relationship Bonnie had with Enzo, and obviously Bonnie and Damon,” Graham said. “You saw the crumbling of her in the finale. She also doesn’t have her magic. The thing that made her feel like herself, and also her best friends, are not there. It’s going to be really exciting to see Bonnie’s journey this season.”

* Poor Stefan is “just crying, constantly,” Wesley teased. “[He’s] missing his bro, his bro-ham. It’s back to the original dynamic of the brothers. The dynamic was always Damon getting in trouble and Stefan trying to save him. … We’ll see how long that lasts, but for the current time, he has a broken heart over his big bro.”

* Caroline is “very busy” in Season 8, trying to maintain a connection with Alaric and the twins while also “helping Stefan and Bonnie track down Damon and Enzo.”

* As for everyone’s favorite human, Matt Donovan “had to make the decision to let go of that love [for the vampires].”

* Every Season 8 episode title will be a line of dialogue from previous seasons.

Your thoughts on the cast’s Season 8 teases? Hopes for the future? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. S says:

No word on Elena? Nothing!? Not even one comment? Watch them do what they did with charmed and not have her return at all…. :(

• TVD4eva says:

I’m glad there’s no mention of ships. It would be nice if they stayed away from all the shipping junk this season so EVERYONE can enjoy the last season. ALL tvd fans deserve a happy ending.

• Hallie says:

The interesting part is that JP said was the ending will work wether she comes back or not which makes me think there will be no delena ending more likely Elana will go back to her life as a human before she met Damon or Stefan. I am thinking if she comes back they will show her not remembering anything about vampires

2. anj says:

I don’t really have complaints about Caroline and everything that’s happened in the last season. It was pretty great, no doubt about it. But honestly, I want Nina back in the series as a regular. As Elena. That’s the only complaint I have. Other than that, everything is just fine.

3. Emma Sproule says:

Aww Stefan has broken heart over missing Damon love that only thing im interested in Stefan missing his big bro

• PiloteXYZ says:

The brotherly bond endures through thick and thin, it’s the love that transcends all the other loves-ships, I’m happy if the focus is squarely on this the beating heart of TVD. Regarding Elena don’t think she’ll be back or maybe in the last few episodes do agree for the show to end writers need to deal with that story and end in a way which will satisfy not just Delena shippers but others as well. The show can’t end with her still sleeping in the coffin on the other end do want Bonnie to live so it’s a toss up.

• Raven and William says:

Umm, have you watched all the seasons?
      The entire show, every season, every episode has been about/around/involved Ian/Damon.
      I like Ian but the sad fact is because Plec/Dries made this the Damon show people got bored and stopped watching.
      They forgot this was a show about vampires, the “epic love story” of Stefan and Elena, badboy big brother Damon, powerful witch Bonnie, Klaus, Tyler the wolf, etc.
      They changed it to the Damon show. Even when he wasn’t in the scene the rest of is fantastic cast was reduced to talking about how great “Damon” was, how “Damon” can solve it, how we need “Damon” to protect us, good grief they even had Stefan as the cheerleader for “Damon” to be with the “Love of his life” Elena. what?? the show went down hill in season 4 when it was obvious it really was the Damon show.

4. Mark McG says:

I saw the TVD comic con trailer and there were clips with Liv and Jo does this mean that Liv could come back.

5. Nabonita says:

Please tell me something about delena.This is a last urge from a heart broken fan,julie..I expect ian and julie can give my answer via twitter.Plz can you give my msg to ian & julie directly please?Ian plz tell me..I am like ur little sister.Ian say anything to me via twitter to console my heart..

6. Nabonita says:

Please give my msg to ian.Ian,you should say something to me to heal my heart on twitter..Plz..

7. Kelly says:

Make Bonnie a Heretic. Both Caroline and Bonnie have gone dark b4 I want a little bit of that back. GirlPower kickass sister’s to fight this new evil.

I can’t understand how Caroline could walk away from her twins. I mean she is the only mother they know, so fix that please.

I Love Enzo but not with Bonnie. He had better chemistry with Sarah Salvatore so bring back TristinMay @Trizzio.

Bonnie and Damon have a relationship so profound that it can’t be measured. Love so strong that it put Bonnie in the hospital and Damon chose to sleep rather than bring harm her way. They have killed/died to save the other, so yes after 7 seasons Bamon needs to happen. The loyal Bamon fans deserves It.

I don’t know how after all that happened between them, but Stefan and Elena was the Epic love that shouldn’t have ever ended. True Soulmates. Even being compelled by Klaus couldn’t change that. If the writers are revisiting season 1 they need to make that happen.

Oh yeah and a happy ending for all the original cast, because my heart cant take anything less than that.

8. Edie says:

So basically its going to be like the last season of Buffy with “first”? Well I hope they make the villain interesting with lots of mythology like in the first few seasons. And I do hope ND comes back for the finale so that we can get a glimpse into her and Damon’s happily ever after.

9. London says:

This evil looks about the creepiest thing we have seen in this show it might just be a finger but wow and as for Nina (Elena)she better come, don’t go back on your word anyway I will be hooked for this season so don’t let me down and wow I can not wait until the bad Damon is here I CAN NOT WAIT

10. Elizabeth says:

Am I the only one disgusted by yet another rip-off of Buffy? No one has been cast to play “Sybill” because EVERYONE is going to play the role. This thing impersonates lost loved ones, just like The First impersonated people who had died. This thing is showing up in the last season of TVD, and The First was in the last season of Buffy. Joss Whedon did original work and enjoyed at least a decade of success because he has genuine talent. Julie Plec has to steal stories and ideas to keep this show afloat, and people can praise Kevin Williamson all they want but one lucky screenplay last century doesn’t make a talented writer. The CW is using his undeserved popularity to increase ratings for a show that only Delena and Steroline shippers actually care about at this point. Also, considering how fast Nina Dobrev’s schedule fills up, I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t show up for the series finale. In fact, I wouldn’t blame her. This show could be career suicide.

• Michelle says:

Kevin Williamson is an incredible writer. Dawson’s Creek was proof. I am a huge fan of Buffy but the way it ended was bull. She should’ve ended up with someone. Angel, Riley, Spike. Someone! I have avoided everything Joss has done since thanks to that ending. And TVD is all about the shippers! It’s centered around a girl and the 2 brothers in love with her since the beginning. I was pissed to have been a loyal Buffy fan for 7 years just to have that ending shoved down my throat. TVD will be doing it right if they focus on the shippers!

11. k says:

Hi. Would u please send the vampire diaries season8 trailer to my gmail????I am not from your country and I can not download it. I will be greatful. Please help me

12. courtnie Pollard says:

I think elena should come back as human elena and her and Stefan should drink her blood and be human with her