Comic-Con

Vampire Diaries Ending After Season 8

Put a White Oak Stake in it; after its upcoming eighth season, The Vampire Diaries shall be no more.

The decision was announced Saturday during The CW drama’s panel at San Diego Comic-Con; as you can imagine, the thousands of fans in attendance were not pleased.

TVD‘s seventh season wrapped May 13 with a bittersweet hour: Though Bonnie’s life was spared and Stefan got his long-awaited reunion with Caroline, Damon and Enzo fell prey to the nameless evil within the Armory’s vault, sending them on a west-coast killing spree.

While discussing Nina Dobrev’s cameo in the Season 7 finale — her first “appearance” on the show since departing in 2015 — executive producer Julie Plec confirmed that she hopes to see Elena return (in front of the camera) for the show’s big send-off.

“It’s what she and I kind of agreed on when she decided to move on, and it’s what I’ve got in my head,” Plec explained. “Obviously things can change throughout time, if the show goes on longer than we expect it to, or if we all collectively decide it would be fun to bring her back earlier, and she wanted to. … I’m sticking with my side of the plan, which is to bring her back at the very end.”

Sounds like a plan to us!

Vampire Diaries fans, are you prepared to say goodbye to the show after all these years? What are hopes for the characters’ limited futures? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. Clv says:

I’m glad it’s ending. They’d run of ideas and none of the cast members are still happy there. It’s time to move on

• Eddie says:

No the show don’t go

• Eddie says:

It should not end like this

• Erin says:

Me too. The last few seasons have been hit or miss. It’s better to go out on a high where it’s reasonably okay. Pandering to the shippers and certain characters has ruined this show. To the point where o would love for Elena to NOT return as they really made her unlikeable by the end. I couldn’t fathom why everyone was still rallying around her and she was the be all and end all

2. Gul says:

Bless! Now give me my Steroline endgame & I’ll forgive you season 7 :))

3. Darlene Cicciarelli says:

I really would hate it if the show ends this season but without Elena in the story, it wasn’t very good. Bring Elena back and the show will be much better.

4. Priscilla says:

Dont care i said goodbye when elena did.

5. Ari says:

Maybe Stefan will get a storyline this season. Bwahahhahahahaha I could barely type that without laughing.

6. nadialus says:

Good! I stopped watching when Elena left.

7. Andrew Hass says:

I’m not that surprised by this news and 8 years is a great run.Plus the actors might want to do other stuff.Plus this way the show’s going out the way they want to.Plus i could see another spin-off coming.Plus i’m betting Elena may not be the only character that’s returning during the final season.I could see both Jeremy and Tyler returning even if it’s just for one episode.

• Alana says:

I love you for mentioning an other spin off. But I’ll just die along with my show. Because I don’t know what to do without its one of the view things that kept me from falling back into depression

• Bertha says:

I agree Alana. I just discovered how good this show is. I hope CW will reconsider snd not cancel the show. If so, then I guess it’ll have to be reruns. 😭😭

• Desiree says:

Facts the producers ruined the show big time with all this extra stupid nonsense they dragged the show with? Like they could have made it better things and sceenes.

• They only do 20 episodes per year, its not like they spend their whole time, counting every second doing the movie!

8. Since Dish Dropped the CW or KTLA from our line up I will not be able to see the last season & I’m REALLY REALLY UPSET!!…My Husband & I have been watching since Day 1 & just over a month or so ago DISH dropped our FAVORITE Channel!…No More Vampire Diaries The Original’s ETC…We are SO Disappointed in Dish at the Moment!!!…Hoping to find a NEW provider before the new seasons all start!!

9. Brandi says:

This does not surprise me and I think it’s time. Ian and Kat said they were done after season 8. I don’t think the show can carry on well without Ian. As much as I adore Paul he seems like he’s just been phoning it in for the past 2 seasons. I don’t think Stefan and Caroline could carry the show on their own. Matt has been the human door mat for so long it’s like his character had nothing to do but watch everything around him fall apart. It’s time. Hopefully Damon and Elana will get a good ending in some way.

10. Tyron Carter says:

I’m not sure if “cancelled” is accurate. When you make an announcement before going into your final season it’s more appropriate to say they’re ending on their own terms. Orphan Black similarly decided next year is its final, but the show isn’t being cancelled. There’s autonomy in the decision rather than the misfortune of being forced to end.

• Caroline says:

I agree. Ending is a more proper term. I’m pretty sure the network would have wanted to continue but the cast is done.

• Going by past articles indicating that Plec wanted it to continue for as long as possible, it sounds like the CW said, “You get one more season – Wrap it up.”

• Caroline says:

Plec said it would be up to Ian and Paul when it would end because she wouldn’t do it without them and Ian had already said that he was done after season 8. So they didn’t have much choice but to wrap it up.

• Zac says:

Cancelled is the correct term. The drop in ratings is the main reason.

11. luvprue1 says:

Well it’s about time for the vampire diaries to end . It’s long overdue. However if season 8th is to be the last season then they should bring back Katherine,and give her a happy ending. Katherine is no worse then Damon, so if he gets a happy ending so should Katherine. They should also bring back Kai.

• awaywithpixie says:

I would love for Kai to come back. I was sort of hoping, after containment ended. But Chris Wood is now in 2 other shows, so he’s pretty busy. I’d love it, but I don’t know if he’s got the time.

• Someone says:

What are you talking about. Katherine died in s5 episode 15

12. Klaroline says:

As long as Klaroline is endgame, I’m good.

• Ari says:

Klaus deserves better than that flake. They ruined Caroline’s characer around season 6.

• Anne says:

I’m in the same camp. Klaroline forever.

• Kristine says:

I would have loved for that to happen but the writers never developed it properly once the shows separated. It’s obvious Klaus was in love with Caroline based on the crossover, but they didn’t have enough interaction for Caroline to finally let her guard down and allow herself to develop real feelings for him. I think that ship has sailed now that TVD is cancelled. The only way for us to ever see the klaroline story now is on TO, but considering how much Narducci has always publicly hated that pairing, I don’t anticipat that ever happening. The best chance was on TVD since that is where their story started.

• Jackie says:

Caroline wants Klaus to give her daughter’s protection so she tried to go find him. Even if the show ends their are a million ideas fans can come up with for their characters nothing is set in stone anymore. I mean look at star wars. The new movie didn’t even have Luke Skywalkers son, or The solo twins and it’s like they didn’t exist. TVD is the same I’m a Delena and Klaroline fan and even if they don’t get the ending in my mind something will work. Klaus told Caroline he is open to have her whether she wants to decide now or later.

• Desiree Reyes says:

Facts laud and Caroline would have been great love to see that happen

13. Angie says:

I’ve been a huge fan of all things TVD, and have met many of the actors at the conventions. I hope to see them wrap the show up with the grand finalé it deserves. Season 7 was quite lacking–it definitely seemed like they were out of ideas and perhaps Julie Plec was focusing more on Containment. I will love to see Nina Dobrev come back for a couple of shows! I am excited to see what the future holds for the talented cast post TVD!

14. Elizabeth says:

The city of Covington rejoices.

15. Kristen says:

As much as I love the show, I am glad it’s ending on its own terms and Kevin Williamson is back. Season 7 definitely ran out of steam creatively. I know it’s a polarizing topic, but the one regret at having the show end is never getting to see the Klaus -Caroline storyline play out the way it deserved. I always thought that was such a missed opportunity considering the amazing chemistry if the actors, especially in terms of crossovers and keeping the 2 shows connected. With only 16 episodes, they probably want to focus on characters left and giving the Damon and Elena storyline it’s proper ending which is understandable. Overall though, despite the misses in the latter seasons, it was still a great run.

• David says:

I havent been able to watch the video. But its only getting 16 episodes for the final season?

• anne from green gables says:

I agree. Klaroline is a wasted potential. I was rooting for them ! I’m still a little bitter becouse I remember when Julie Pelc said that spin-off was not the end of Klaus and Caroline storyline but we all know what happened. I actually still have a little hope. Why not? It’s only a tv show. Everything can happen ;) I will be happy with small endgame scene.
      My biggest problem with TVD is that first seasons even if this show supposed to be a “teen drama” it gave dark and brooding vibe but the last seasons lost this now it’s more like soap opera with some supernatural stuff. All those babies, marriages, humanized vampires and this kind of stuff is a big no to me in this genre.

• Maria says:

I definitely agree.

16. David says:

I am just glad we will have a story with a proper conclusion. So many shows out there dont get that anymore before they are cancelled. I have always watched VD and still enjoy watching it, and would never stop watching it. But I wonder how long the Originals will go on for then. I dont expect it to go past a potential season 5 if it even gets that far. I love it as well and would love for it to go on for a long time.

17. Penny says:

My only request is that the very last scene includes a certain black sport sedan and two familiar looking men from a fellow CW show….

18. Carla Krae says:

Dang it, the hug scenes got me.

This isn’t canceled, it’s ended. There’s a difference, like BTVS was never canceled.

19. Dawn Arnold says:

Thank you Vampire Diaries, You were a fun world for me to get lost in….

20. Ashbash says:

I’m hoping they carry Stefan and Caroline over to The Originals. That might be the breath of fresh air that the originals needs to keep the show going.

• Odds are The Originals is ending too (after Season 4). I suspect that the 1/2 Season of The Originals got pushed back to January so that the writers can have more time to wrap up the story.

21. Anne says:

Oh good. It’s time. Send the actors interested over to The Originals.
    And Nina better come back or OMG I’ll never forgive her

22. Brian says:

End it with the Winchesters coming to town.

• Guest says:

I never knew how much I wanted this to be the last scene until you said this! I need Sam, Dean and Baby to ride into town the last seconds of the show and boom the end! Lol that would be great!

23. Cecil Wayne Harmon says:

Dont need to end now.

24. Kaitlyn says:

I’m Klaroline af so if they aren’t endgame in TVD can Julie put Candice in the Originals 😂

25. Liza says:

I used to watch every episode twice because it was SO good, but the last couple seasons have been mediocre. It is time to go. I am glad they will have the time to give the show a proper send-off, wrap up storylines, and give everyone a “happily ever after.” I wish Caroline would move to NOLA and be on The Originals with Klaus, but I doubt that will happen. Seems like she is ending up with Stefan. I also hope to see Tyler and Jeremy before it is all over

• Tiffany says:

I agree!! Actually have watched first 5 or 6 seasons many many times, after they knew Nina was leaving and they started the Bonnie/ Damon connection I was like not having elama bad enough but nooooo way am I going for BONNie and Damon!! So re watch up to Ninas award worth performance when DAmon went to other sode and didnt come back and stop there! Its sad but true to all orig. characters that way!!

26. Deborah says:

Have them go to New Orleans and help the Michaelsons!!

27. Cassandra D. says:

My Heart Breaks 2 kn that TVD will B cming 2 it’s 8th Final Season): Giant Fan of TVD Forever(;!! Big Aloha 2 U all of TVD Luv U much♡Aloha w/ Luv all the way fm Hawaiian Islands The Big Island of Hawaii!!U all will B so so missed… (:

28. Amber Cariker says:

I left when Nina did. I wish they’d bring her back earlier than the series finale.

29. Heather says:

Fine with me I just hope Delena get their happy ending. Now if only Supernatural would do the same. :/

30. DONNA HardingAnn21@outlook.com HARDING says:

HOW DARE U DO . THIS TO US WERE MILLIONS OF LOYAL FANS .PLUS WE WANT ORIGINAL S BACK TOO DONT STOP VAMPIRE DARIES PLRASE 😭😭😭💔💔💔💔💔

31. Lania says:

I’m going to miss this how so much I’m going to cry and have post-tvd depression

32. nikki sloan says:

It’s a good show. It would be a shame for it to end. With the return of Elena I think the show would have a shot at continuing.

33. Joan McCrary says:

Sorry to see the vampires go really sad. Enjoyed watching and re-watching!

34. Akachukwu says:

I think the show has been good do far. Time for the actors and producers to focus on other movies. Every good thing must come to an end and it is time for VD to be wrapped up.

35. Selina says:

What’s wrong with everyone!? I still love the show and loved every story line . Yes maybe they could have done some things differently but it was still great to watch and it’s like saying goodbye to family.

36. Hi when the show ends please don’t leave it as a cliff hanger,I am a fan of the show, now there is only going to be one vampire show left. The actors on the show really rocks I hope to see them in other shows or movies.I hope you have a great day take care Char.

37. Ginny Petitt says:

I love this show and all the characters! It’s one of my favorites! Sorry to hear it will be ending!

38. Thush says:

I love this show now and forever. Please don’t end this. I tasted they way it was. Nothing is perfect. But please don’t end. Damon, Stefan, Elena and all. They perform really well. Hope to see in future again and again.

39. Nancy says:

I have watched Vampire Diaries since the beginning. I think it’s time to say goodbye, since so many great actors have died off over the years.

40. Sam says:

So sad!!! But not as sad when Katherine died – that is when the show truly ended for me.

41. TANIA ROBLES says:

I dont want VD to end!!! Ifo ne actess wants ti move on, kill her, but dont kill the show. There is much more to do with the show and you have done great so far except for anouncing the final season! If you guys ran out of ideas, we can probably help in that department.
    Point is: NO TO 8 BEING THE LAST

42. Lex says:

Anyone remember what David Boreanez looked like after 8 years as a ‘vampire’. Didn’t quite age as well as this cast.

43. Joshua says:

Wow, I followed it from 1 though am in season 6 is a nice development. Am a super fan of Caroline and Stefan because of there roles. But Caroline is exceptional. I like Elena but at some point I became cold towards her but later I told myself is a play. Anyway am still watching. Like I said, I am eager to see the end.

44. Eric says:

This is quite heart breaking to hear. I’d be happy if we had at least two maybe three more seasons to look forward to. I’ve introduced so many people to this show in the past few years and they all love it. I’d sit and watch it with “current girlfriend at the time” and just binge watch multiple seasons for days. 3am comes around and wed both look at each other and say oh just one more episode won’t hurt. Reading this article truely upset me. There has to be more ideas up in someone’s head. Give readers and watchers of the show a chance to give their opinions on new ideas for new seasons. You’d be surprised of the things the common fans can come up with.

45. Michelle says:

While I love TVD, I’m thrilled that it’s ending. The show just isn’t the same for me without Elena and I hate it without Damon and Elena together. I’m hoping for a happy ending for all the characters, but as long as Damon and Elena end up together I’ll be very happy!

46. Delena all the way says:

I’m ready for the end. I want to see Delena get a happy ending that makes you know they’ll stay together. I’m counting on Kevin Williamson for that! I got my Joey/Pacey happy ending on Dawson’s Creek. Too bad he didn’t have control of Buffy’s ending. That was a total let down. She should’ve ended up with Spike. Made me angry to have been a dedicated fan for 7 years. Hope I’m not having to say the same thing with TVD!

47. Desiree says:

The producers really killed the show, the show dragged and became boring. I hope you don’t do that with the originals I already see it going th same route. Reunite everyone and bring it back to the beginning and offer nina more money. Even though I know she left because of Ian marrying ms. Blondie from twilight when it should have been her but it’s whatever!!! Just fix it the hell up cause I love this show!!!!! Nina come back and get back with my baby Stephen and Caroline get together with klaus. The witch fine elenas brother and Mary him and have kids get this shit back to where it should have been. Like come on!!!!

48. Desiree says:

Take that show back to its original beginning that’s it!!!! And cut all that extra Wack boring crap you’s drag on that show and messed it all up!!!

• Desiree says:

All you producers really messed up this show with all this extra nonsense. Pay Elena more money, Ian you should had married nina instead of the twilight blondie but whatever. The producer she have had Elena go back to Stephen, Caroline with klaus, the witch go find Elenaa brother and marry him. Elija marry the wolf girl hailey. Reunite the show make it interesting again. Rebecca to finally be with that fine brother. Like really producers you all messed up this really good show. Dag!!!