Comic-Con
Once Upon a Time Jafar Oded Fehr

Once Upon a Time Reveals Aladdin Storyline, Casts Oded Fehr as Jafar

ABC’s Once Upon a Time, at long last, is taking on the story of Aladdin, as revealed during a Season 6 teaser that debuted at the San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday.

At the close of Once‘s panel, Deniz-Akdeniz cocreators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis gave the audience one more treat — in the form of the first three minutes from the Sunday, Sept. 25 season premiere. At the close of the clip, viewers met Aladdin, who is being played by Deniz Akdeniz (South Beach, right).

Poised to get in the street rat, riff-raff’s face, meanwhile, is Covert Affairs favorite Oded Fehr, as the evil Jafar. (Lost alum Naveen Andrews played the Royal Vizier of Agrabah on the short-lived Once Upon a Time in Wonderland spinoff, but was unavailable to reprise the role, due to his Sense8 commitments.)

Here is the sneak peek that was shown:

The reveal of Aladdin and Jafar comes on the heels of a flurry of other Season 6 castings, including Giles Matthey (24: Live Another Day) as Morpheus, Craig Horner (Hindsight) as the Count of Monte Cristo and the returns of Cinderella/Ashley (played by Jessy Schram) and Dr. Archie Hopper (Raphael Sbarge).

Are you excited to see Oded Fehr offer his take on Jafar?

1. LindseyF says:

Aww, but I loved Naveen Andrews as Jafar!!!

2. ZinniQ says:

Oh how I adore Oded, cannot wait to see it!

3. DJ Greenblatt says:

I was excited till I saw it wasn’t Naveen now I could care less.

4. SANDY says:

Very excited about the whole story line.

5. Michelle says:

ALADDIN FINALLY.

6. Claire says:

Any idea how many episodes we’ll have them for?

7. Shari says:

Always a good day when Oded Fehr is on my screen!

8. priscilla says:

Im excited to see him in some thing i watch but him playing an evil bad guy idk plus i hope they dont make him ugly like the animated jafar looks.

9. Sandra says:

I wonder if they will ackwlodge what happened in ouatiw or just ignore it. It was kinda of lame how they brought Will Scarlet to the show and then he Just disappeared with no explanation about what happened to Anastasia. Maleficent and her daughter also disappeared like that.

• brandydanforth81 says:

The actress playing Liky ( Maleficents daughter) had a baby and another show she was on so she became unavaibledue but A& Esaid in s6 they plan to revisit that sl,

• Lily says:

Considering what a failure OUaTiW was for ABC, the best thing would be to ignore that storyline. There might be a few hints, here and there, but nothing more than that.

10. Ben says:

I love Oded Fehr, but Naveen is Jafar. What a shame.

11. I wonder how they will Resolve the Nyx’s curse in the present, and I hope he replaces Amara because it’s not quite Jafar without his staff.

• Once fan says:

I was wondering if Once’s story universe is supposed to serve as a prequel to Wonderland. That would explain why Will Scarlet came to Storybrooke and was forlorn over Anastasia even though in Wonderland their story got tied up with no loose ends. Perhaps these will be flashbacks?

12. Jennifer says:

Zanku!!! YES YES YES!!!!

13. Beckie says:

Is no one else excited about the Count of Monte Cristo addition??? I absolutely loved the movie (helps that Jim Caviezel was the titular Count) and I’m interested to see how the show handles it. I may finally be a little excited about season 6 now.

14. Kathy Glover says:

Absolutely! I am one of his biggest fans. I think he will be brilliant as Jafar. Can’t wait!

15. Lyn says:

I wish they had cast Keon Mohajeri as Aladdin.

16. Matthew B Lawler says:

Why does once upon a time constantly recast roles with inferior actors that they couldn’t of gotten the original actor that protrayed jafar they should’ve just saved this story line for another time as it is there introducing too many new characters I thought they were supposed to focus on the original cast this coming season

• Lily says:

Naveen Andrews, while a good actor, was laughably bad as Jafar.

• Matthew says:

Inferior ? You mean besides the fact that the original actor was unavailable and no where near the box office profitability of the one stepping in?

Think you missed the meaning of that word for its opposite. Naveen is a good actor, but he isn’t making the mummy trilogy money good yet.

17. Karen MT says:

Wow. He actually seems more like the movie version of Jafar. I’m impressed!

18. Cheeto says:

Ah, dammit. So no Naveen Andrews, Emma Rigby OR Michael Socha this season, looks like. (Although with Cinderella AND Jafar in season 6, mayyybe Anastasia will be there as well, considering her history with both of them. I just hope they don’t recast her too.)

Jonas better have a lot of screentime in Sense8 this season, at least.

19. Leah says:

I wish they’d bring in more ‘Wonderland’ people onto the show, like Naveen Andrews (best Jafar) & the Red Queen.

As of now, I think I’m totally done with OUAT.

20. coneyro says:

Oded a bad guy… NO… In real life, he is a nice Jewish, Israeli boy. He is good in everything he does. Loved him as a Mosad agent on Covert Affairs.. Please, I don’t know if I can cope with him as 😈(evil) . But I’ll try..

21. Misti says:

I love Naveen, but Fehr is absolutely *perfect* in this clip. <3

22. I’ve been waiting years to see Aladdin on OUAT. We finally get Aladdin and this is what they turn him into?!?! No wonder I gave up on this damn show!

• Lily says:

Honestly, making Aladdin the previous Savior is pretty big. Emma has been stating for years, that being the Savior is a curse. Now, we are going to see that she was correct.

23. nada says:

i love oded he will make an assume jafar cant wait to see it

24. lygarx says:

I wonder if they will be the same exact character or have different character backgrounds and be two different Jafars. It would be a completely unpredictable and messy story if they were the same. They are the forgotten stories of the book that was introduced at the end of the last season.

25. Jess3 says:

I would like to see how they brought back his snake staff since in the wonderland series it turned back to Amara.

26. Sonya says:

Well done on the casting of Aladdin & Jafar. I’m not 100% sold on the actress playing Jasmine yet but time will tell. Love the idea of Aladdin being the previous savior. You can see the effect it’s having on him by his hand shaking at the end.

SO excited to have the Aladdin storyline finally in OUAT!