Fall TV Preview
Big Bang Theory Sagal Penny Mom

Big Bang Theory: Katey Sagal Cast as Penny's Mom in 8 Simple Rules Reunion

CBS’ The Big Bang Theory is finally adding some more branches to Penny’s family tree — and one of them is extremely familiar.

Katey Sagal, who played mom to Kaley Cuoco on the ABC sitcom 8 Simple Rules, will play Penny’s mother Susan, it was announced Friday at the San Diego Comic-Con. Susan is described as “stressed out and neurotic from a life with her troubled son.”

Speaking of Penny’s brother… 30 Rock alum Jack McBrayer has been cast as Randall, a “cheerful former drug dealer and ex-con.”

Keith Carradine (Madam Secretary), who has previously appeared on the CBS hitcom as Penny’s father, Wyatt, will also guest-star in the season opener.

Sagal’s TV credits also include (of course) Sons of Anarchy, Married With Children and Futurama voice work, while McBrayer has been on The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, The Middle and Drunk History.

Both Sagal and McBrayer will appear in the Season 10 premiere, airing Monday, Sept. 19 at 8/7c.

Is Sagal’s casting perfect, or totally perfect? Share your thoughts!

1. Steven says:

I hate the Big Bang Theory, but loved 8 Simple Rules. I may need to suffer through and watch this.

2. Kate Garner says:

Oh my goodness! Total perfection!!!

3. c-mo says:

YAY!!!!!!!

4. msstargate says:

Perfect casting!

5. Andrew Hass says:

Since Katey Sagal and Kaley Cuoco has worked together before they don’t have to get to know each other.Plus i can’t wait to learn more about Penny’s family next season.

6. steven says:

Was her brother from 8 Simple Rules unavailable or something?

7. Wendy says:

Perfect!

8. kitsunesaru says:

I think she’s the only choice. So cool that got her!

9. Yes! Yes! Yes! This was my dream casting!

10. Literally gasped out loud with joy over this. So, so, so right!

11. Viv says:

As soon as I saw the Katey, I knew it was Segal… Could not possibly be anyone else… AND Jack as a happy cokehead?! Wheee!!! You just gave Kaley her own hit spinoff.

I’m going to have to start watching every episode again. It’s been 6 years. Yaaay!!!

12. Larry says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

13. mr bear says:

Will Penny finally have a last name? Everyone of the characters have a last name but Penny and Wyatt.

14. HtotheB says:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! Perfection.

15. Would casting Martin Spanjers (who played her brother in 8 Simple Rules) have been taking it too far? Would have liked to see that. But I think Katey is perfect as Mrs X!

• &rea says:

I would have loved to have seen him again. I always felt he was underrated on 8 Simple Rules. I bet he could nail this role.

16. Laura says:

I love Katey Sagal but I hate when TBBT changes their own canon. Sheldon specifically references Penny’s mom in a previous episode as being overweight: “I’ve seen pictures of your mother, keep eating!”. Katey Sagal is anything but, she looks amazing. They did the same thing with Bernadette’s mother. Oh well.

• ToyCannon says:

One line fixes that: “Wow Mom, you’ve lost weight!”.

• Julia says:

Small potatoes. Sheldon and Penny both stated in “The Einstein Approximation” that Leonard doesn’t snore, yet Leonard said (I don’t remember the ep) that he has sleep apnea (I think the line was “…and hope tonight is the night my sleep apnea kills me”), and in a much later ep says he hopes the surgery on his deviated septum will cure his snoring (which Sheldon then fondly reminisces about).

And don’t get me started on how many times Sheldon – who is supposed to be sooooo good at math – has messed up equations (unless he had Ramona to help him).

17. James D says:

love Katey in everything she does so kudos for that casting choice. Strange role for Jack McBrayer though but i’ll keep an open mind since Kenneth will always be one of my favorite sitcom characters ever.

18. jeannie says:

Couldnt have made a better choice for Pennys mum..Katey Sagel

19. J.Norman says:

They’ll probably dodge the issue of Penny’s last name.
    i don’t know if that was really an intention of the showrunners to never mention it, but it has now become a recurring point of interest.

I don’t remember a brother of Penny’s ever being mentoned, but I do remember sister references .

• Cassie says:

Penny’s brother is “kind of a chemist” and I remember another reference that he was on house arrest.

20. Ralph says:

Katy YEA!!!! Jack MEH. B

21. pinky says:

awesome! I can’t wait

22. Margaret says:

Segal’s casting is awesome!! Can’t wait!!

23. Marci says:

Great choice. Loved her as the mother on Eight Simple Rules.

24. Cas says:

This is amazing casting! So excited.

25. abz says:

Awesome news. I LOVED 8 Simple Rules. Damn if it’s one thing this show does really well is casting mom characters. Christine Baranski, Laurie Metcalfe, Katey Sagal, and of course the late Carol Ann Susie (RIP). Love them all.
    I hope the show does some more mom-centric episodes and also throw in some Bernadette/Raj impressions of Howard’s mother as homages.

26. BobW says:

This could be a good fit, but I think the people behind Modern Family missed a great opportunity when they failed to cast Katey as Ed O’Neill’s ex. That would have made for a great reunion, and a very good recurring part. Just thinking here.

27. mario says:

Great choice. She was one of the finalists I had in mind. Now hopefully with all cast members in place they don’t stiff the fans with an impromptu wedding and actually show a fitting ceremony after 10 years of anticipation.

28. katedfw says:

I love Katey Sagel and would love to see her go “Gemma Teller” on Leonard’s mother! That is a smack down I’d love to see. Plus Jack McBrayer as the brother is great. I adore him and I am looking forward to the season opener. Hope they stay around a few episodes!

29. nancy g. says:

LOVE this new twist. Perfect casting! HATE Bernadette’s pregnancy storyline. Would love to see Kaley back with Johnny Galecki in real life!

30. Kathleen says:

Yes, Katey Sagal, is an excellent choice for Penny’s mother. I also loved watching 8 Simple Rules. I also love Big Bang Theory.

31. Teri says:

I was actually hoping that Penny’s mom would be Roseanne because 3 of the actors in Big Bang was on Roseanne and it would have been a mini reunion and perfect after in an earlier episode Sheldon made a comment about Penny, saying he’s seen pictures of her mother after Penny ate the last dumpling.