Comic-Con
Agents of SHIELD Bobbi and Lance Hunter Returning

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. @ Comic-Con: Ghost Rider Casting News, Bobbi/ Lance Buzz and More Season 4 Scoop

If you were wondering if the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will welcome Bobbi Morse and Lance Hunter back into the fold, now that ABC’s Adrianne Palicki/Nick Blood-fronted spinoff isn’t moving forward, show boss Jed Whedon has six words for you.

“It’s definitely classified,” the EP hedged on Friday at the series’ San Diego Comic-Con panel. “But keep watching.”

COMIC-CON 2016 Exclusive Videos, Casting News, Scoop and More

Indeed, in classic, Agents of SHIELD Ghost Rideruber-cryptic Marvel fashion, precious little was confirmed for Season 4, save for a micro-trailer featuring a fiery skull and the warning, “Vengeance comes this fall” — in the form of Ghost Rider, who in Marvel NOW! Comics lore is Robbie Reyes, a mechanic who after cheating death at the hand of some thugs is revived as a demonic, muscle car-driving being with a flaming, helmet-like head. Brought to life by Nicolas Cage on the big screen (in the form of Johnny Blaze), on S.H.I.E.L.D. the chain-wielding character will be played by Gabriel Luna (Wicked City, True Detective).

“Season 4 will unquestionably be the series’ biggest, most ambitious story yet, and it all begins with the introduction of one of our greatest legacy characters in Ghost Rider,” Marvel Television boss Jeph Loeb said in a statement. “When the Spirit of Vengeance rides into S.H.I.E.L.D., it’ll change everything.”

Also during the Comic-Con panel:

* Now that Daisy has lost both of her love interests (R.I.P. Ward and Lincoln), someone new may win over her heart… eventually. At the moment, she’s “rattled from what happened, so it won’t be right away,” Whedon said. “But people find solace in other places.”

* The producers very much love Brett Dalton and Luke Mitchell, which made it very hard to kill off both Ward and Lincoln in the Season 3 finale. But “our other characters needed to go through the pain of that to tell better stories going forward,” Whedon explained (to one very disappointed young fan).

ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 premieres Tuesday, Sept. 20, where it will now air at 10/9c.

1. peterwdawson says:

How the heck do you do Ghost Rider on a TV budget?

• clintbrew says:

if the flash and legends can pull off firestorm Agents can pull off ghostrider

• peterwdawson says:

I’m skeptical. That is a fair point when it comes to the constant on-fire effects, but there’s still the whole skull thing, and I’m skeptical they can make that look good with a TV budget. Maybe something TV trickery like get a smaller stuntman, pad him to look physically like Luna, but then give him an elaborate skull helmet that they CG on fire…

2. You described the Johnny Blaze version of the Ghost Rider, a stunt driver who makes a deal with Mephistopheles. Gabriel Luna will be playing Robbie Reyes, a Californian mechanic that gets transformed into the Ghost Rider by becoming possessed.

Still, exciting news.

3. Dani says:

I’m guessing because of Doctor Strange, they have to add some magic element to AoS. I hope they pull it off. They show has always been very sci-if oriented.

4. Jason says:

Ghost Rider is definitely a big deal. It shows confidence in SHIELD to let them introduce the character. Though it will definitely be a challenge on a tv budget. They showed they could pull off flaming chains last year at least briefly. The flaming skull is a whole other issue. I like to think they’ll do all they can to make it look great.

5. Tom says:

Did you really have to call Ward a ‘love interest’ for Daisy? There may have been a very brief moment when that could have been but that ended as soon as he killed Victoria Hand and Eric Koenig and tried to kill Simmons and Fitz

6. Joey Padron says:

Great news Ghost Rider will be on the show. Looking forward to see how the actor does as Ghost Rider in new season. Hope Bobbi and Hunter will return to the show in season 4!

7. So Happy says:

I cannot wait for Bobbi and Hunter to return!! I loved Ward/Hive and Lincoln. I hope they find good roles soon. I think Luke Mitchell will be on Blindside :-)