Fall TV Preview
Criminal Minds Prentiss Returns

Criminal Minds: Paget Brewster to Return as Prentiss for Season 12 Arc

Criminal Minds alum Paget Brewster is heading back to the CBS crime drama for “a whole bunch of episodes” as Emily Prentiss.

“We’re excited to have Paget Brewster back for multiple episodes in our 12th season,” showrunner Erica Messer announced Thursday at the “CBS Favorites” San Diego Comic-Con panel. “The BAU can use more help this year since they’ve got a lot of known and unknown subjects to catch.”

Brewster, who became available when Fox chose not to renew Grandfathered, echoed the very good news with an enthusiastic tweet:

Brewster wrapped her full-time Criminal Minds run at the close of Season 7, then first resurfaced in the middle of Season 9 for the drama’s 200th episode. She was courted last summer to help fill maternity leave-bound cast member A.J. Cook’s vacancy, but Grandfathered created a scheduling conflict. She most recently reprised her role as Prentiss this spring, when the BAU alum brought an international manhunt to her friends’ front door.

Prentiss’ return comes on the heels of fellow BAU vet Derek Morgan leaving the team, as Shemar Moore ended his run with the CBS series. CSI: Miami alum Adam Rodriguez was recently added to the Season 12 cast as a series regular, to help fill that void.

Want more scoop on Criminal Minds, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. bluji says:

She’s amazing, so absolutely awesome to see her returning for more than just a one-off appearance!

2. Whatevah says:

The weird thing about this is I didn’t like Prentiss and then after she left I missed her! Now I love it when she’s back. This is the best news I’ve had all day! YAY

3. maltru says:

A) Yay for more Prentiss! She’s always been my favorite.
    B) Typo alert, Matt: “Derek Morgan leading the team, as Shemar Moore ended his run”

4. This is why Criminal Minds has been consistently a favorite for so many years: they know what the fans want, they listen and they deliver as much as possible <3

• Jon Willis says:

But let us not forget that back in season 6 they fired both AJ Cook & Paget Brewster so they could afford that god awful Forest Whittaker spin off

5. Amy says:

TVLine, you have got to do something about these ads on your site…constantly freezing my browser due to a “bad script.”

6. Jennifer says:

THANK GOD!!!! I’ve missed her!!

7. Kevin K says:

This makes me very happy.

8. Angela says:

I’d been waiting for this danged news ever since those cryptic tweets Paget Brewster had been posting online in recent months :p. Multiple episodes, eh? Great! I wonder how many episodes specifically that’ll be.
    Whatever the number, this is great news indeed. It’ll be so nice to have her back, and I look forward to seeing what kinds of stories they’ll come up with for her and the others, both professionally and personally. Look forward to her return!

9. Philip says:

What’s happening with Aisha Tyler? Is she staying on in some capacity?

• Angela says:

Judging from behind the scenes photos I’ve seen online, yeah, it looks like she’s still there. Probably still going to be recurring, I’d imagine.

10. Clau says:

Always love to have Emily Prentiss back.
    Maybe next news tells us that she’s finally back permanently.

11. Peaches says:

Every time they bring her back, I’m so scared they are going to kill her off for real, stopping her from coming back again. My poor brain.

• Angela says:

I honestly don’t think they’d ever do that. They didn’t do it when she got let go by CBS years ago, after all, and they know how beloved a character she is. I think they like having her back too much to even consider the idea.
      Plus, they seem reluctant to want to kill off any of the main team members in general, which is fine with me. If they ever were to kill off any main team members, I think it’d likely be only if the actor in question wanted that to happen for whatever reason.

• Angela says:

“They” being the show itself, by the way.

• Jon Willis says:

Yeah the only team member they’ve actually killed off was Gideon and that was years after he left the show and knew that Mandy Patinkin was never going to come back ever

• Angela says:

Exactly.

• Diane says:

And to stop all the ignorant fans asking if Gideon was coming back. Yes they really did ask and even I was sick of it!

• Angela says:

Ha, yeah, I don’t doubt there were people asking about Gideon :D. I’m guessing most of the people who asked that wanted him back so Reid could get some closure with him more than anything else, but I imagine there were a few legit Gideon fans who missed him, too.
            If Mandy Patinkin hadn’t badmouthed the show as much as he did after he left, and had he left in better manner, I wouldn’t have minded seeing him back someday, either. But yeah, I think given his attitude about the show, anyone who wanted him back should’ve just learned to let go and move on.

12. Donna says:

Soooooo happy to hear this wonderful news, SHE iS Awesome

13. Donna says:

happy to hear this wonderful news, she is awesome , 😊😊😊👍👍👍

14. GraceM says:

This is great news but what about Aisha Tyler? I thought she was a great fit for the show last season and I’m hoping she gets promoted to series regular for this season.

15. Ella says:

Amazing! Can she just come back full time? I adore her. I’m still rooting for a Hotch/Prentiss romance, even after all these years.

16. PonticGreekMacedonian says:

I am so excited! She is my favourite character and I am glad they are still allowing her to make appearances but I am also very grateful that she is going to be appearing on multiple episodes this time!!!

17. Julian says:

I hope she come back in bra, amazing breasts!

18. Beverly Watts says:

I am so happy Prentiss is coming back. As far as I am concerned she should have the full season. I am glad Adam is jumping in as well. He is the only one I can think of who could attempt to fill Morgan’s shoes. I hate that Hotch is gone because that means Jack will be too. I had hopes for Hotch and Prentiss getting together. Thomas control your temper! I don’t want to see you in another loser show like Dharma and Gregg. Criminal Minds was like winning the lottery for you. You are better than that. Aisha Taylor going as a regular is okay. She has her own unique way of doing things and serves her purpose. Now all they need to do is train Reid to kick butt like J J.