Exclusive
Chris Wood Supergirl

Chris Wood Joins Supergirl Season 2 as 'Surprise' Series Regular

It’s safe to say someone over at The CW is a big Chris Wood fan.

The veteran of Vampire Diaries, Carrie Diaries and, most recently, Containment, is joining Supergirl in a series-regular role that’s shrouded in secrecy, TVLine has learned exclusively. All that we know is that the actor will be playing a surprise DC Comics character, and that he’ll make his debut early into the series’ second season.

Supergirl has made a number of significant casting moves as it transitions from CBS to The CW, most notably tapping Teen Wolf‘s Tyler Hoechlin to guest-star as Superman. Other key hires include erstwhile Wonder Woman, Lynda Carter, as president of Supergirl‘s United States, Cougar Town alum Ian Gomez as Snapper Carr, a journalist appointed by Cat (Calista Flockhart) to serve as the editor-in-chief of CatCo Magazine, and Floriana Lima (The Family) as gay Metropolis Special Crimes Unit captain Maggie Sawyer.

Wood, meanwhile, recently landed a recurring role in the second season of PBS’ Civil War drama Mercy Street. He’ll play Lance Van Der Berg, a handsome Union captain lodging at the Green home, where he strikes up a budding romance with AnnaSophia Robb’s Alice.

Supergirl Season 2 premieres Monday, Oct. 10 at 8/7c.

1. kate says:

That’s fun (and here’s somewhat hoping that they drop the James’ romance angle because I’m not feeling it and he’s better as a friend and I would rather they pick up the comics and keep him being on and off with Lucy with whom he has more chemistry).

• elizabethp056 says:

The show runners already confirmed in previous interviews that they’re not dropping Karolsen anytime soon in season 2. Deal with it, and get over it. They’re fine together.

• Jason says:

So basically you want him to be just another advice giving black sidekick friend.

• eglooney says:

Not sure why it has to be a “racial” issue… you want him to maintain his relationship (as weak as their chemistry appears to be) just because you want a black as her paramour?

As Marle notes, below, Melissa Benoist (Kara) and Jeremy Jordan (Winn) had much better chemistry and that was nothing compared to the chemistry she had with Grant Gustin (Barry Allen/Flash).

And, if Jimmy and Lucy get back “on”, that brings Jenna Dewan Tatum back onscreen more and she ended up being one of my favorite characters – once she and Kara figured out their relationship.

• Thorpe says:

Really? Winn seems gay. I’m surprised that Winn didn’t have a crush on James instead of one on Kara.

• Tydeus says:

He is already a black advice giving friend, with benefits.

They have no chemistry.

• Marie says:

The only reason I don’t much care for the James/Kara romance is that I don’t really think they have that much on-screen chemistry. There was more chemistry between Winn and Kara.

2. I’m guessing he’s the big bad of the season

• Jim says:

I’d make a guess who he’s supposed to be playing, but the producers of the show don’t care about matching actors to the way their characters have been portrayed for decades so it would pointless. He could really be playing anyone at all. Well, anyone who’s been a white guy!

3. Mia says:

Please don’t be another love interest, please don’t be another love interest, please don’t be another love interest….

4. chuckiechk says:

YES!!! I said before and after Containment that Chris needs to be added to CW’s Arrowverse! Super excited

• Marie says:

He’s back on a CW show. Hopefully, he’ll get a better role than he did as the sociopathic villain he was on the Vampire Diaries. That character got real old real fast in my opinion.

• GambitGrey says:

I thought he was good in The Vampire Dairies. Only they got rid of him really fast.

• ashanean@gmail.com says:

Don’t even remember him on the Vampire Diaries. Loved him onContainment but they had to cancel that show because of scheduling space.

5. Amanda says:

Have no idea who he could be playing but he does have a Hal Jordan/Green Lantern look about him. That would work for a surprise DC character too.

6. wrstlgirl says:

Awesome, was hoping he’d be back on the CW sooner rather than later.

7. Just tell me why must there always have to be someone gay? I have nothing against gays,but keep the kissing and sexual stuff off the TV screen

• Bwhit says:

May I please ask what that has to do with this casting news? Just curious.

• chuckiechk says:

he was talking about Maggie Sawyer also named in this bit of info

• eglooney says:

I can live with the kissing… what bothers me is that her being “gay” differentiates her from just being a person. No one ever mentions the heterosexuality of characters. To single her out as being gay denigrates the character AND the actress.

• Tydeus says:

Well, it’s just the writers of these articles who points out that they’re gay, the police captain on the Flash is gay, as is Mr. Terrific on Arrow but they dont make a big thing about it, they treat it like how they’d treat a straight relationship.

Unless the main protag on a show is gay, in that case they’ll make a huge thing about it I imagine. Like Torchwood, every scene pretty much had John Barrowman kissing everything that moved. I dont even remember any plot to the show other than “who can we bang this week?”

• Drew says:

Your second sentence: You mean keep JUST the gay kissing and sexual stuff off of TV? Or ALL kissing and sexual stuff?
      Thing is, this is America, and gay people live here, too, and have as much right as you have to see themselves reflected on TV.
      Also, this is America, and we like our sexual stuff. Straight, gay, with a twist. It’s what so many proclaim to not be interested in, but Google analytics and pron search results prove otherwise…

• Dominique says:

buddy if you’ve got a problem with gay people “kissing and sexual stuff” on your screen, then you have a problem with gay people. please don’t pretend otherwise.

• Daisy says:

If seeing gay people kiss bothers you then you do, in fact, have something against gay people. We live in a diverse world and we are all better for it even if you can’t see that right now. I hope you do someday. Cheers.

• Pedro says:

Will do, if all straight kissing and sexual stuff goes away too.

• datdudemurphy says:

If you’re complaining about Maggie Sawyer, it’s probably because she’s gay in the comics…

• Frank says:

typical homophobics trying to pretend they have nothing against “those people”, please kissing is natural and if any show wants to have a realistic ratio, they’ll show lgbt people too! Get over it.

• Agent 86 says:

I hope that they give Winn a boyfriend in season 2. Maybe this actor will be playing his boyfriend – the Earth 2 version of Alan Scott (aka Green Lantern)?

Sure, Winn was crushing hard on Kara and had that ill-fated romance with Banshee. But, I could easily see him as someone struggling to come to terms with his sexuality and seeing Kara embrace her role as Supergirl may encourage him to be more aware and open.

• JamesC says:

I have nothing against straights either, but the kissing and sexual stuff does nothing for me. Should we get rid of it for me? No. Should we attempt to show all legal consensual lifestyles so we know and understand each other a little better? Yes. Is it any different in terms of what can be shown in prime time? No. Simmer down and look away.

Too long has TV had gay characters who were chaste. It doesn’t help normalise things if were shown to be asexual, we are the same and need to be seen as such.

If you’re ever not sure if you’re being homophobic, substitute the word gay with black or disabled. If it’s not acceptable, then shut up.

• Oscar the Oddity says:

Gay people exist in real life. We want to see our lives play out on television and in movies like heterosexual couples. We want our stories to be represented too.

If you don’t like it, you have the option of changing the channel to one of the networks that scores poorly on LGBT representation. But be careful — those networks still show women and people of color in affirming roles.

8. Bwhit says:

So happy!!! I need to catch up on this show and it just moved up on my list because of this. I hope he’s a good guy, I liked him as Kai but I loved him as a good guy character like Jake.

9. Jared says:

Huge fan of Chris Wood. Happy to see him staying at The CW on one of my fave shows.

10. JDH says:

Mon-El??? I could see it… Can’t wait for October!!!

11. Azerty says:

This season 2 is getting more and more crowded, I suppose it means the CW really believes in this show but I hope they won’t miss the point…Legends of Tomorrow worked pretty well with an ensemble of characters but Arrow messed up when they added more and more DC characters, forgetting (the growth of) their original cast…

• DigificWriter says:

How does 8 or 9 Series Regulars (depending on if Calista remains a series regular, even if she doesn’t appear in every episode) make the season “crowded”?

They’ve added a grand total of 5 new characters (I don’t believe those Bleeding Cool rumors), only 3 of which are “series regulars” (Floriana Lima’s Maggie Sawyer, the yet-to-be-cast Lena Luthor, and whatever role this Chris Woods guy is playing).

12. Drew says:

So glad to have more Chris Wood on my TV. He was my first choice to be cast as Clark on Supergirl, but I’m happy he’ll be a regular at least.

13. Joey Padron says:

Good news he’s staying in The CW family. Looking forward to see him in new season and learn the character from comic books he’ll be playing.

14. Roe says:

That’s great news!! His handsomeness will keep me watching!! 😉

15. chuckiechk says:

What if he is Kon-El (Superboy), Lor-Zod (Nightwing/Flamebird), or Pete Ross?

16. Ashipper says:

Yay one of the most talented young actors ( and handsome wholesome etc lol) has finally landed a yummy role as a regular. He deserves it after a mix of short lived roles as Kai Parker on TVD and Jake Riley on Containment. Not a SG fan or viewer but will be coming October. Just hope it is as a nice guy ;)

17. Gerald says:

I love Tyler, but would have seen Chris more as Clark/Supes. But glad he is on the show as a regular.

• Frank says:

They’re both too young. Clark on the show is CANONICALLY 12 years older than Kara, he should be in his late 30s, at the very last 36/37 years old. Tyler may be cute but he’s definitely miscast here.

18. Belle says:

Most awesome news this summer…glad he is sticking around the CW – but I had really hoped they could somehow bring him back o TVD. This is better than nothing, so I’m hopeful and he will fit in nicely on Supergirl :)

19. Nika says:

It is safe to say that someone at CW loooves Chris too much that keep hiring him for series when tv shows he had been had been cancelled in a short time. Good for him that he has still work.

• Shaun says:

He was on Vampire diaries,it’s still alive.Has some bad luck in roles but the network will keep him going.

20. Csr says:

I don’t know which is more annoying: the cast of thousands approach or the alternate universe/personalities/bodies scenario. Why can’t we spend our time caring about a few key characters?

21. Gabe says:

Maybe this has been guessed or shot down already…but Dick Grayson?

22. Gail says:

Comet the Super Horse. Per Wiki
    He was originally a centaur in ancient Greece named Biron. The witch Circe gave him a potion to turn him fully human after he prevented an evil sorcerer poisoning her water, but by mistake made him fully horse instead due to the Sorcerer. Unable to reverse the spell, she instead gave him superpowers, including immortality. The Sorcerer asked his teacher to help him against Biron and they were able to imprison him on an asteroid in the constellation of Sagittarius, which he had been born under. However, when Supergirl’s rocket passed, it broke the force field, enabling him to escape. Later, after meeting Supergirl, he went on a mission with her to the planet Zerox, where a magic spell was cast that turned him into a human, but only while a comet passes through the solar system he is in. As a human, he adopted the identity of “Bronco” Bill Starr, a rodeo trick-rider, whom Supergirl fell in love with.

Seriously it would nice if they included a character who was actual part of the original comic book Supergirl stories.

23. clintbrew says:

Conner Kent aka superboy Clone created by project cadmus using superman and lex’s DNA he doesnt have to look like clark

24. Phun says:

Congratulations to Chris Wood! Looking forward to see what his role is.

25. Frank says:

All I hope is that he won’t be another love interest for Kara or Alex, let’s keep things fresh, all the forced romance is getting repetitive.

26. ninergrl6 says:

I have LOVED Chris on TVD & Containment so I’m THRILLED about this news!

27. rahajicho says:

CW just loves recycling actors. Katie Cassidy, bless her heart, was on Melrose Place, Gossip Girl, Supernatural, and Arrow.

28. Nicole says:

I’m guessing he’s gonna end up being H’El. His story with Kara allows for a nice arc of her attracted to another Kryptonian and torn between choosing to try to bring back Krypton or let Earth perish and explains why Superman would also be involved as he plays big in the story as well.

29. Lala says:

Chris Wood yes please!! He’s the reason I stuck with Containment.
    I’m a luke-warm SG fan…haven’t even finished watching S1 as yet….but I will def tune in if he’s on the show.

30. Looks like now I have to watch the first seasons of both Supergirl and Mercy Street.

31. eglooney says:

If Supergirl’s universe is merging with the Flarrowverse, Berlanti will want to introduce some new superheroes to operate in National City. Since they are so overtly *not* naming Wood’s character, my guess is that is what he will be.

Maybe he’s Green Lantern? I would think any of the Teen Titans would be out as Kara is in her mid-twenties and would not fit within the parameters of that group. Maybe another, not as CGI-heavy a character as GL? How about someone from the bottled city of Kandor or from Kara’s home town, Argo City (which was domed and catapulted into the vastness of space in the comics)?

Someone had to have been in that pod that landed in the finale. And, it was Kryptonian.

If it wasn’t someone else, then, with the merging of universes, maybe it was Kara arriving later and, because of the merging of the universes, there is now two of them and one will become Power Girl?

Guess along people! Who we got here?!?

And, who is Chris portraying?

32. Jenni Kesler says:

I am super stoked to see Chris on Supergirl. Not only is he a very talented actor, but he’s a genuine individual whose extraordinary with a heart of gold. He’s extremely spontaneous with an awesome sense of humor and an authentic swagger and obviously very easy on the eyes….I’m grateful to see him on TV I am a huge fan of TVD and loved his character as Kai. I’m a huge fan of Containment. I’m eager to see more of him. He is the definition of fine entertainment and there is so much more to him then what meets the eye. Keep on shining!!! #LoyalFanOfChrisWood

33. Tydeus says:

People are thinking he’s going to be a hero, he’s a generic white guy so he could be playing anyone from random supporting role to someone big. I’d like him to be Hal Jordan though but lol thats pushing it.
    We’ve yet to know who the villain of the series is, perhaps he’s just the villain? Gaius Marcus or someone.. I dunno any Supergirl villains.